• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You should really look into the law before calling me extreme, as Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! mentioned, you can get fined up to 42,000 dollars If you don't follow their guidelines.
The thing about that, on youtube's end, that's an easy fix.

ATM the only two options on youtube are "For Kids" or "For Adults" but COPPA allows for "Mixed" so just that add that, change a few of the guidelines a bit, and the problem is *mostly* solved.

And the thing is, you aren't always going to be fined 42k. I don't remember off the top of my head how it's determined in regards to COPPA, but in the event that a fine is warranted, it's not going to be exactly 42k. Probably closer to the level of $200-$30000, methinks.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The thing about that, on youtube's end, that's an easy fix.

ATM the only two options on youtube are "For Kids" or "For Adults" but COPPA allows for "Mixed" so just that add that, change a few of the guidelines a bit, and the problem is *mostly* solved.

And the thing is, you aren't always going to be fined 42k. I don't remember off the top of my head how it's determined in regards to COPPA, but in the event that a fine is warranted, it's not going to be exactly 42k. Probably closer to the level of $200-$30000, methinks.
Not to mention that they’re probably only ever going to go after the big guys like Logan Paul and Ryan’s World.

D

Deleted member

I can't speak for others, but my videos aren't deleted. They might be off of my channel, but I still have them. And getting fined up to 42,000 dollars? I'd rather not risk going in debt.
personally I would much rather be fined and keep everything I have intact publicly than just wipe my channel because of the potential for getting fined.
Not to mention that they’re probably only ever going to go after the big guys like Logan Paul and Ryan’s World.
Snake actually agreeing with me? That’s a first.

anyway, this is another reason why I’m not gonna do anything in regards to Coppa, because why would people even go after me, a small channel with literally no subs and a generic name thats only posts some skits and occasionally using clips from anime.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I am currently recording for a homeless child that is forced to work on the streets for spare pocket change. It's time to try to tug at viewer's hard strings... and fail.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

well that’s nice but not everybody has 42,000 bucks to give.
AHEM..
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-coppa-frequently-asked-questions
(It's in number 2)
"A court can hold operators who violate the Rule liable for civil penalties of up to $42,530 per violation."

As in, it's not always going to be $42,530. More likely than not, depending on your situation, it could vary from a slap-in-the-face fine of $100 to something like 30k. Getting the max fine is probably only going to be a thing for some of those channels that post literal clickbait cartoons with disgusting imagery.

I'm not even going to bother talking about this anymore, because I genuinely don't think you guys are getting what I'm trying to say, and "complying with a federal law that literally doesn't affect me" is not a hill I'm going to die on.

Anyway... cute cat videos?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

thing about coppa is that the ftc isn't nearly big enough to **** with the legal troubles of acquiring up to 42k from every single youtube channel that's violating coppa, especially the smaller channels/ones owned by minors since it's unlikely that smaller channels can just dump 42k whenever they please and suing a minor for something besides damages is very hard to do since you would need to name the parents in the suit and that's a whoooole nother legal mess

more likely that they're gonna target bigger channels that make substantial amounts of revenue, so while i can't guarantee anything- i don't **** with law ****, lmao- y'all here should be fine

D

Deleted member

thing about coppa is that the ftc isn't nearly big enough to go through the legal trouble to **** with the legal troubles of acquiring up to 42k from every single youtube channel that's violating coppa, especially the smaller channels/ones owned by minors since it's unlikely that smaller channels can just dump 42k whenever they please and suing a minor for something besides damages is very hard to do since you would need to name the parents in the suit and that's a whoooole nother legal mess

more likely that they're gonna target bigger channels that make substantial amounts of revenue, so while i can't guarantee anything- i don't **** with law ****, lmao- y'all here should be fine
This is literally what I've been saying this entire time :l

Noipoi

Howdy!
thing about coppa is that the ftc isn't nearly big enough to **** with the legal troubles of acquiring up to 42k from every single youtube channel that's violating coppa, especially the smaller channels/ones owned by minors since it's unlikely that smaller channels can just dump 42k whenever they please and suing a minor for something besides damages is very hard to do since you would need to name the parents in the suit and that's a whoooole nother legal mess

professor faygo

D

Deleted member

I think I'm gonna have to leave for awhile. This feeling of having to delicately step in between everyone else so I don't get shot at for being unpopular in general is driving me insane, and it's not healthy for me. It's also been super annoying how even when I put effort into stuff, no-one really acknowledges what I've done and it seems like everyone just pretends I don't exist at times. I'm not gonna delete my account or anything, but this time, I'm serious. No more "ooOoo I'm a ghost" posts. I'm logging out, signing off, and sayanora!

D

Deleted member

Faygo I ain’t boutta die in another country for some goddamn oil companies
wym bro we're just protecting american freedoms bro we're not committing heinous acts of mass slaughter that go against any sense of human morality for pure corporate greed and the upper class' need to keep up america's global hegemony bro we're protecting your right to express yourself bro. if it weren't for our troops you would be speaking islam right now. shame on you

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I think I'm gonna have to leave for awhile. This feeling of having to delicately step in between everyone else so I don't get shot at for being unpopular in general is driving me insane, and it's not healthy for me. It's also been super annoying how even when I put effort into stuff, no-one really acknowledges what I've done and it seems like everyone just pretends I don't exist at times. I'm not gonna delete my account or anything, but this time, I'm serious. No more "ooOoo I'm a ghost" posts. I'm logging out, signing off, and sayanora!
Alright, see ya tomorrow.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Finished watching Elf as among my Christmas movie marathons for this year then decorated my Christmas tree.

What's up currently?

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
The people at my mother's job noticed she didn't have a car for a while and I guess they felt bad cause they started giving us tons of free stuff. Some lady gave her a whole ass turkey lmao.

D

Deleted member

Half the people on this site have probably started disliking me too, so I am tempted to catch a break and come back when I feel my mind is sane enough again to post.

...Although do people really hate me or as someone told me I’m overthinking stuff?

The people at my mother's job noticed she didn't have a car for a while and I guess they felt bad cause they started giving us tons of free stuff. Some lady gave her a whole ass turkey lmao.
Glad to see that there’s still many kind people in the world.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Half the people on this site have probably started disliking me too, so I am tempted to catch a break and come back when I feel my mind is sane enough again to post.

...Although do people really hate me or as someone told me I’m overthinking stuff?

Ya probably overthinking stuff

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

If you feel like need to take a break, go for it. However i don’t believe there’s anyone here that really hates you, at least from what I’ve seen.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I wasn't expecting James to have a distaste for Majora's Mask, ngl. The AVGN is just a character and a few critiques for it were exaggerated for the sake of comedy, sure, but I still feel like it's his genuine opinion for the most part.

Never thought the game was as brutal as he made it out to be, though. (I beat it for the first time at around age 8, I believe.)

D

Deleted member

If you feel like need to take a break, go for it. However i don’t believe there’s anyone here that really hates you, at least from what I’ve seen.
Some sort of break I’ll get for sure.

You can bet I’m going to spend as much of my friday with my friends as possible to vent myself from all the stuff that happened recently.

Not sure if it will be a huge or really small break doh.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

You're one of the nicest people on this site, JD.

I can guarantee that nobody hates you.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Some sort of break I’ll get for sure.

You can bet I’m going to spend as much of my friday with my friends as possible to vent myself from all the stuff that happened recently.

Not sure if it will be a huge or really small break doh.
Take as much time as you need. Your mental health comes first.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
After a long break from Smash, I just played Tourny mode for the first time. It was an items-on free for all but I still managed to get first place, even after fighting a campy Wii Fit Trainer in finals.

I may be bad following the chaos of competitive doubles but I'm pretty good at casual free for alls somehow. I guess not having to worry about a teammate takes away a lot of mental strain for me.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

:ultpacman:: “BOW DOWN BEFORE ME, PUNY MORTALS!! COWER IN FEAR AS I BLOCK OUT YOUR SUN!!”

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
The only good thing I can think of to come out of this whole COPPA situation is the fact that this could mean the end of Ryan's World, since the entire point of that channel seems to be preying on vulnerabilities to advertise to children.

Then I'll finally stop seeing their ****ty ****ing merchandise everywhere.

D

Deleted member

:ultpacman:: “BOW DOWN BEFORE ME, PUNY MORTALS!! COWER IN FEAR AS I BLOCK OUT YOUR SUN!!”
Is this some sort of giant fighters event?

If so, I am tempted to pick Switch Online just to take part of it as a Toho fan.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113

Really doubt anybody here hates you. I certainly don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom