• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If all people here from other people online is "this console has a dumb name" then all they're going to thing is "that console has a dumb name. I'm not buying it." Meme's aren't just jokes. They influence how people think. And I don't want people to judge it just on the name because that's all people talk about. So let's just keep quiet about the console's name (it's most superficial aspect) and instead judge it on it's specs and it's titles and it's price. The things that actually matter.
Nah, imma meme it.

That's another thing I don't understand. How does it sound like an add on? At least any more than any other system that doesn't just do strict numbers for their titles. I never understood why people thought that. It has a picture of a console that looks visually distinct from the Wii on the frickin box. That just sounds like people being dumb.
the not so gaming savvy public know the Wii, and probably know of the Wii’s add ons. To them, the Wii U would sound like another add on, and probably one they don’t need, so they skipped it. They’re not dumb, they’re consumers choosing not to buy a product they think they don’t want, and it’s on Nintendo for not making it more clear.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Dictionary definition doesn't account for the general parlance of the term. It's fallacious to assume the dictionary covers every definition of every term.
But that doesn't mean the definition I gave you is wrong and, i literally sound like a member of the alt right resorting to dictionary definitions to try to prove my point like they're set in stone performances or something.

I just did something that only literal human garbage does.

Time to go hit myself on the head to correct the problem.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
touche

So what if that pad never existed? Or what if you didn't know about the uDraw pad.

it was not a dumb name. It was just them trying to stand out and be a little different and realizing that "Wii 2" sounded even more dumb and would look like they were copying Sony. It takes 2 seconds of googling to realize that's not what it is. The Wii U had plenty of problems, but the name, the single most superficial aspect of a console, is not one of them. If it confused people, then they should have tried to educate themselves. Being dumb is not an excuse.

But more importantly, WHY on earth am I spending my time deffending the Wii ****ing U? I just want people to lay up on Series X and judge it by things that actually matter.
Series X is a sucky name but it at least has some sort of consistency with the Xbox Brand and SERIES sticks out well enough. What the **** does the U have to do with anything? It didn't promote the pad, it didn't promote dual screens, it didn't differentiate itself from the Wii. It just. Sucked. Bad name. They used the name because of how popular the Wii brand was and thought they could capitalize off the name. Why they didn't name it the Wii 2? No one will ever know.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
First impressions are important. I don’t think the series X looks bad, I don’t think anything. All I know about it so far is that it looks like a fridge and has a dumb name, so that’s what I’m gonna talk about. If it impresses me later on then I’ll have other things to say.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But that doesn't mean the definition I gave you is wrong and, i literally sound like a member of the alt right resorting to dictionary definitions to try to prove my point like they're set in stone performances or something.

I just did something that only literal human garbage does.

Time to go hit myself on the head to correct the problem.
No offense, but you are being overdramatic. We're just talking about video game consoles.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
When it's this easy to properly find things out, it's not Nintendo's fault for your confusion, it's yours.
Sorry mate, but this point is just not it. If a Customer doesn't buy it, no matter if they're confused, think they don't need it, know they don't want it, don't like the brand, don't like the name, have a set agenda in the console wars, whatever, it's Nintendo's fault.

It is, as they say, "the customer is always right".

osby

Smash Obsessed
I made this point earlier, but I will make it again.

If you're just going by the name, then you have no clue what a "U" is or means. It's not a clear and concrete thing like a Zapper or a Balance Board. So you would google it, and then just by seeing a picture of the front of the box with a distinct console that's visually distinct from the Wii on the box, then you'd realize your mistake.

When it's this easy to properly find things out, it's not Nintendo's fault for your confusion, it's yours.
Video game consoles are (let's be honest) luxury consumer goods. People don't need one and they're not going to spend too much time researching every possible option because it's only for entertainment. That's why marketing matters so much. And Wii U's marketing was bad not just for its name so I think people have right to (at least) joke about it.

"Don't judge a book by its cover" is a thing but that doesn't change that most people make decisions based on first impressions. Nintendo should know that, they are in this business for decades.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
You really shouldn't take memes seriously.

The Wii U didn't sell poorly only because of the name, it was only one of many factors and was far from the biggest. Lack of games for the first two years, abysmal marketing, lack of any support from other companies, and Nintendo struggling to keep up with development while also supporting the 3DS were bigger contributors to the console's failure.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Time for a new topic, chaps. Cause y'all are beating this horse to non existence.
Uh, excuse me. I'm the mod here. And this horse is not dead enough says I. Grab a stick compadre.

This is a joke in case it wasn't clear.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm going to bed. I don't have the energy for this kind of thing anymore.

I think from now on I'm just not going to even fight back and just loose out the gate. Will save me the stress and save you all the headache.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Uh, excuse me. I'm the mod here. And this horse is not dead enough says I. Grab a stick compadre.

This is a joke in case it wasn't clear.
Very well. I shall beat this horse despite the consequences that will follow. Ahem...

The Wii U is a dumb name.

There. I have done it. The horse is now

G O N E

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Very well. I shall beat this horse despite the consequences that will follow. Ahem...

The Wii U is a dumb name.

There. I have done it. The horse is now

G O N E
Can't believe you ****ing Thanos dusted the poor thing.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I will sing the entirety of Weird Al’s Albuquerque during a Wedding reception.

My Wedding, friend’s Wedding, complete strangers Wedding.

It’s gonna happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom