• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Actually another question I wanted to ask is what would be some interesting ideas for a cloud world? Since I started Rezqueen’s story with Tri-Dino Village last time, I wanna work on my Lakitu character Jaki this time, especially since I don’t have too much of her developed so far.

Also I need some ideas for a main hub kind of area.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Actually another question I wanted to ask is what would be some interesting ideas for a cloud world? Since I started Rezqueen’s story with Tri-Dino Village last time, I wanna work on my Lakitu character Jaki this time, especially since I don’t have too much of her developed so far.

Also I need some ideas for a main hub kind of area.
Ancient city that was lost to time when it floated into the stratosphere.

Like a reverse Atlantis.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Part of me feels like many games are slowly moving away from getting quick sequels back to back. The current trend of continuously updating games on a singular console generation seems to work out for the best. At least for the fighting genre. Look at Tekken, the whole gen we had Tekken 7 update itself from season to season. SamSho, Soul Calibur, and Killer Instinct are also following suit. As is Dragon Ball FighterZ. I wonder if more genre's will follow in that path. Stuff like Resident Evil and Ace Attorney are more narrative driven, so I don't see that happening with them. Yet action titles like Spider-Man might not have more than 1 game per gen. But Mario Kart just got a port with a couple extra costumes. Even Kirby got DLC character packs. That said stuff like Mega Man 11 didn't have any Stage/Character DLC, and Mortal Kombat's one of the few Fighting IPs to have more than 1 title on these current consoles.

I think it has both its upsides and downsides. Obviously, the employees having more of a chance to work in less stressful environments(assuming DLC/Update work is less strenuous than main game development.) And to be honest, games are SUPER expensive to produce now. You look at the type of content of something like Soul Calibur 2 or Tekken 5 or even CVS2, and in terms of modes, it's hard to deny they had a LOT of stuff. But getting to the important meat of the games, fighting other people is the most important, and having your game look nice, sound nice and play nice by today's standards isn't an easy task.

The only real downsides to this are two main things. 1. When you buy a game, it's a long term investment, something you'll have to cough up cash to really get into. And 2, that we won't likely see drastic changes/improvements in mechanics inbetween updates like one would in a full on sequel.

Why’s it called Nintendo Switch?

“It switches from tv to handheld”

Why’s it called PlayStation 5?

“It’s the 5th PlayStation”

Why’s it called-

“It’s an Xbox”
At least with with X-Box One they tried to pull that "It's all your media needs in ONE console" shtick. And while a little dumb, still worked out well.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Checks thread: Series X is being discussed.

Can we just travel forwards in time to when everyone gets over it? Can we skip this whole thing?

Remember kids. When you make fun of Xbox, you're making fun of Minecraft.

Remember Adults: When you make fun of Xbox, you're making fun of Rare
You're telling me you think it's a good name? Because even for people who ARE into games, it's kind of confusing. And if you think I won't roast the Wii-U for having the dumbest name ever, you're wrong there too.

And I'll gladly make fun of any company, ****, chances are some of them got my cash. They can take some jokes.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You're telling me you think it's a good name? Because even for people who ARE into games, it's kind of confusing. And if you think I won't roast the Wii-U for having the dumbest name ever, you're wrong there too.

And I'll gladly make fun of any company, ****, chances are some of them got my cash. They can take some jokes.
To this day I still don't know why people think the Wii U was such a bad name. Like, the Wii 2 sounds even worse.

As for Series X, I don't think it quite trips off the tongue, which is why i always omit the Xbox part when talking about it, but I think we just need to give it time. It's called SERIES X. Last Gen Xbox put out two alternate versions of the One, the S (slim), and the X (deluxe). Considering statements from microsoft, both about the Xbox being the actual system name and series X being just a descriptor, and that they are interested in putting out multiple models this gen as well (they've talked specifically about doing a less expensive digital download only system for example), leads me to beleive that each one of these Xbox's will be "Xbox ___". The digital only one will have a different name from the main one we say at the awards, which will have a different name from the ultra mega deluxe 600k ultra ray tracing model that you just know they're gonna make for the graphics whores. Just give it time. If it launches, and the name on the package is literally just Xbox or Xbox Series X, then I will join in with you. But until then I want to give the thing a chance to succeed. Because if we all start memeing on it and making fun of it days after the frickin reveal and a year before launch, then the thing will never succeed.

Noipoi

Howdy!
To this day I still don't know why people think the Wii U was such a bad name. Like, the Wii 2 sounds even worse.
I don’t think it’s that terrible but it doesn’t help it stand out at all. It doesn’t sound like a new console, it sounds like a Wii add-on. And that’s exactly what people thought it was.

Shroob

Sup?

As for Series X, I don't think it quite trips off the tongue, which is why i always omit the Xbox part when talking about it, but I think we just need to give it time. It's called SERIES X. Last Gen Xbox put out two alternate versions of the One, the S (slim), and the X (deluxe). Considering statements from microsoft, both about the Xbox being the actual system name and series X being just a descriptor, and that they are interested in putting out multiple models this gen as well (they've talked specifically about doing a less expensive digital download only system for example), leads me to beleive that each one of these Xbox's will be "Xbox ___". The digital only one will have a different name from the main one we say at the awards, which will have a different name from the ultra mega deluxe 600k ultra ray tracing model that you just know they're gonna make for the graphics whores. Just give it time. If it launches, and the name on the package is literally just Xbox or Xbox Series X, then I will join in with you. But until then I want to give the thing a chance to succeed. Because if we all start memeing on it and making fun of it days after the frickin reveal and a year before launch, then the thing will never succeed.
"Mom, can we get the new console, the Wii U?"

"Honey, you already have the Wii."

"But mom, it's a new console!"

"Honey, your Wii is good enough."

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Sure, why not. Maybe they claimed this floating city, updated it a bit. It could have themes of ancient ruins and modern design, coexisting.
I’ll mark that as one potential idea. I should also work more on Jaki’s story as well and maybe that would help develop the world a bit more.

Mostly what I have so far is that she’s a Cloud mechanic, as in she helps keep Lakitu Clouds in check who’s personal project is working on mechanical enhancements for a Cloud she took in that was born weaker than the other :ultcloud:s and making it stronger, she’d constantly be looking for parts and upgrades to fix up her buddy with. In fact she met Mario while searching for scrap in the ocean with her fishing rod (still up in the clouds so it’s a long line). One of the magic pages got caught on the hook and the page floats above the water. Mario comes to collect the page (with Scribble fixing its hole) and accidentally got the back of his overalls on her hook and quickly hoisted up into the sky. Since she wanted to test out the Propeller her Cloud is using, it’s helping her reel it in, only to be greeted by a confused Mario.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Wii-U sounds like an add-on to the original system, part of the reason why didn't take off is consumer confusion. The Wii-2, while still kind of dumb(because let's be honest, the Wii is a goofy name, although memorable), at least implies something new, most people immediately get the idea of it being a follow up to the previous system. And I don't think the Wii 2 sounds worse, because Wii-U, is indeed a dumb name, but that's subjective.

The Wii-U failed for a multitude of reasons that Nintendo got a salty runback with the Switch. It handled taking it on the go better(it didn't have limited range), more games that people could get invested in, Zelda being a launch title and Mario Odyssey being a true follow up to the Open World style did a LOT for them. A lot more third party support are all things the Wii-U lacked. The Wii-U price never really lowered either.

Also, just because people are memeing on it doesn't mean it's going to immediately fail. That's just foolish to believe. People roasted the dumb names of the 3DS' various off-shoots and upgrades, and last I checked, those sold pretty damn well, because, outside of the lackluster first year, the 3DS brought out games people cared about. And it's not the responsibility of the consumer to make a console succeed. It's the people making it, and a name alone won't completely doom something. Prices and games will help a lot.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
If the series X has quality games people want to play it probably won’t flop, even if folks meme on it’s name for it’s entire lifespan.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Despite many ports being weaker versions of said game, the fact that the Switch got MK11, SamSho and DBFZ, and even DB Xenoverse 2, I think says a lot as far as third party support. Many old games are getting ported over to the Switch, and even Nintendo systems for the first time ever. Now little billy who only played Mario and Zelda can get his ass handed to him on a silver platter by Vergil next year and that's very special to me. Hell, MUA3 is a Nintendo only title at that.

The Wii-U however didn't get MKX, and instead of a previous gen game with Injustice 1.

I do think the Switch needs to fix a lot of its online flaws as far as performance goes, but that has to do with Nintendo being so behind on that still. If they can get a new Online person to sort their **** out, it'd really help them as a whole. Because it's lackluster is why I don't have their online service at the moment.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Sword and Shield got memed to hell and back, and they're doing just fine.

Let people meme what they want to meme. In the end, it doesn't usually affect the outcome.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Wii-U sounds like an add-on to the original system, part of the reason why didn't take off is consumer confusion. The Wii-2, while still kind of dumb(because let's be honest, the Wii is a goofy name, although memorable), at least implies something new, most people immediately get the idea of it being a follow up to the previous system. And I don't think the Wii 2 sounds worse, because Wii-U, is indeed a dumb name, but that's subjective.

The Wii-U failed for a multitude of reasons that Nintendo got a salty runback with the Switch. It handled taking it on the go better(it didn't have limited range), more games that people could get invested in, Zelda being a launch title and Mario Odyssey being a true follow up to the Open World style did a LOT for them. A lot more third party support are all things the Wii-U lacked. The Wii-U price never really lowered either.

Also, just because people are memeing on it doesn't mean it's going to immediately fail. That's just foolish to believe. People roasted the dumb names of the 3DS' various off-shoots and upgrades, and last I checked, those sold pretty damn well, because, outside of the lackluster first year, the 3DS brought out games people cared about. And it's not the responsibility of the consumer to make a console succeed. It's the people making it, and a name alone won't completely doom something. Prices and games will help a lot.
If all people here from other people online is "this console has a dumb name" then all they're going to thing is "that console has a dumb name. I'm not buying it." Meme's aren't just jokes. They influence how people think. And I don't want people to judge it just on the name because that's all people talk about. So let's just keep quiet about the console's name (it's most superficial aspect) and instead judge it on it's specs and it's titles and it's price. The things that actually matter.
If the series X has quality games people want to play it probably won’t flop, even if folks meme on it’s name for it’s entire lifespan.
That's another thing I don't understand. How does it sound like an add on? At least any more than any other system that doesn't just do strict numbers for their titles. I never understood why people thought that. It has a picture of a console that looks visually distinct from the Wii on the frickin box. That just sounds like people being dumb.
Padoru Padoru

You can’t resist Padoru

Padoru Padoru

You will become Padoru
I want to, but I can't. I lack money and there's no avatar maker for it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If all people here from other people online is "this console has a dumb name" then all they're going to thing is "that console has a dumb name. I'm not buying it." Meme's aren't just jokes. They influence how people think. And I don't want people to judge it just on the name because that's all people talk about. So let's just keep quiet about the console's name (it's most superficial aspect) and instead judge it on it's specs and it's titles and it's price. The things that actually matter.

That's another thing I don't understand. How does it sound like an add on? At least any more than any other system that doesn't just do strict numbers for their titles. I never understood why people thought that. It has a picture of a console that looks visually distinct from the Wii on the frickin box. That just sounds like people being dumb.
Playstation
Playstation 2
Playstation 3
Playstation 4

You can tell those are all different consoles.

Meanwhile Nintendo doesn't do numbers, but at the same time, they make their consoles names distinct. You can't mistake a Gamecube for a Wii, or a Wii for a Switch.

But they have a habit of making a ton of accessories, or at least, they did.

So when you have **** like:

Wii Balance Board
Wii Zapper
Wii Nunchuck
Wii Sensor Bar
Wii etc etc etc

Yeah, people are gonna mistake it for an add-on.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Meme's aren't just jokes.
That's literally the definition of a meme.

Also, you are being paranoid. A game console isn't going to fail just because an online forum makes fun of its name. It has no basis on reality.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My mom thought a Wii U was a Udraw Pad for Wii until I had to actually pull up what the **** it was when I wanted one for Christmas in 2012.

****ing, the Wii U had a nightmare of a name and it wasn't marketed well enough as a standalone console... or at all for that matter.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Playstation
Playstation 2
Playstation 3
Playstation 4

You can tell those are all different consoles.

Meanwhile Nintendo doesn't do numbers, but at the same time, they make their consoles names distinct. You can't mistake a Gamecube for a Wii, or a Wii for a Switch.

But they have a habit of making a ton of accessories, or at least, they did.

So when you have **** like:

Wii Balance Board
Wii Zapper
Wii Nunchuck
Wii Sensor Bar
Wii etc etc etc

Yeah, people are gonna mistake it for an add-on.
Balance Boards, Censor Bars, Zappers, those are all things those are all distinct objects. What the **** is a U? If it was an accessory then what would it be?

To me, that's like saying the Xbox 360 is obviously and accessory. Why is "360" enough to indicate that it's a new system but "U" isn't? Again, this just sounds like people being dumb because it only takes a few seconds of googling, heck a few seconds of thinking, to realize that it's probably not.

I was a literal child when the thing was revealed and I understood. You almost have to be trying NOT to understand to be confused. People aren't that dumb.

Shroob

Sup?
Truth be told, I didn't even know the WiiU even ****ing existed until my friend texted me telling me to watch E3, they announced a new Smash and Megaman was in it.

:drshrug:

Shroob

Sup?
Balance Boards, Censor Bars, Zappers, those are all things those are all distinct objects. What the **** is a U? If it was an accessory then what would it be?

To me, that's like saying the Xbox 360 is obviously and accessory. Why is "360" enough to indicate that it's a new system but "U" isn't? Again, this just sounds like people being dumb because it only takes a few seconds of googling, heck a few seconds of thinking, to realize that it's probably not.

I was a literal child when the thing was revealed and I understood. You almost have to be trying NOT to understand to be confused. People aren't that dumb.
Explain the last 3 years of politics then.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

... a uDraw pad. No joke, my mom and plenty others legitimately thought that was what a "Wii U" was.
My mom thought a Wii U was a Udraw Pad for Wii until I had to actually pull up what the **** it was when I wanted one for Christmas in 2012.

****ing, the Wii U had a nightmare of a name and it wasn't marketed well enough as a standalone console... or at all for that matter.
Like, that was a dumb ass name for more than it just being a dumb ass name. It was nearly impossible to properly market.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's literally the definition of a meme.
From the Miriam Webster Dictionary
Miriam-Webster Dictionary said:
Definition of meme

1 : an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture.

Memes (discrete units of knowledge, gossip, jokes and so on) are to culture what genes are to life. Just as biological evolution is driven by the survival of the fittest genes in the gene pool, cultural evolution may be driven by the most successful memes.— Richard Dawkins
Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meme

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Explain the last 3 years of politics then.
touche
... a uDraw pad. No joke, my mom and plenty others legitimately thought that was what a "Wii U" was.

Like, that was a dumb ass name for more than it just being a dumb ass name. It was nearly impossible to properly market.
So what if that pad never existed? Or what if you didn't know about the uDraw pad.

it was not a dumb name. It was just them trying to stand out and be a little different and realizing that "Wii 2" sounded even more dumb and would look like they were copying Sony. It takes 2 seconds of googling to realize that's not what it is. The Wii U had plenty of problems, but the name, the single most superficial aspect of a console, is not one of them. If it confused people, then they should have tried to educate themselves. Being dumb is not an excuse.

But more importantly, WHY on earth am I spending my time deffending the Wii ****ing U? I just want people to lay up on Series X and judge it by things that actually matter.

Shroob

Sup?
touche

So what if that pad never existed? Or what if you didn't know about the uDraw pad.

it was not a dumb name. It was just them trying to stand out and be a little different and realizing that "Wii 2" sounded even more dumb and would look like they were copying Sony. It takes 2 seconds of googling to realize that's not what it is. The Wii U had plenty of problems, but the name, the single most superficial aspect of a console, is not one of them. If it confused people, then they should have tried to educate themselves. Being dumb is not an excuse.

But more importantly, WHY on earth am I spending my time deffending the Wii ****ing U? I just want people to lay up on Series X and judge it by things that actually matter.
I mean, Snake.

Let's be honest, the Wii is a dumb name and was memed to hell, and it's one of the most successful consoles, ever.

Let people just have fun with the silly names. :drshrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom