• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I want MvC4...

Hopefully with the Fantastic Four, Wright, Viewtiful Joe and Dr. Doom or at least two of them.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Don’t give me that bull. We HAVE to make assumptions in order to survive as a species. Because no matter how much you know about a subject, you’re always missing some information and don’t know exactly what will happen.
What does surviving as a species have to do with discussing video games? Other than the fact it's done BY humans? I don't disagree that trying to take information that you know is a solid idea for guessing what's supposed to happen. It makes sense, but you keep being stubborn when someone presents you with information that challenges your views.

But you're using Smash 4's DLC as a means to ignore Shadowwolflink Shadowwolflink 's point for a first party DLC in terms of Smash Ultimate, a different game. I disagree that we'll get a first party DLC character, because of what we've seen of the Fighter's Pass so far.

However, IF one was added, like another FE character, this doesn't break any statements made by Sakurai regarding the Fighter's Pass. If they added Byleth as an example(someone I don't even want), they could add a stage based on Fodlan or something to that manner, and Spirits based on the 3 main students and a few others.

Smash 4's DLC didn't guarantee new stages per character, let alone having a pass. The third parties were new series entirely, so Ryu got his stage and so on so Corrin or Mewtwo didn't need one. Smash Ultimate does state each Fighter's Pass character WILL get a stage, meaning if the last character was from Metroid or Donkey Kong, a new Metroid or Donkey Kong stage would have been made alongside them. So despite being from an established series, the information that Shadowwolflink Shadowwolflink and the rest of us know of the pass isn't contradictory to what we know the pass is supposed to have. The Plant ISN'T a Fighter's Pass character, so it didn't get a stage associated with it.

It does contradict the current pattern of the characters being all 3rd party currently, which is where I personally disagree with him. However there was no statement that it HAD to be 3rd party only, it certainly looks that way though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I’m not changing the rules. I’ve admited in the past that a Phoenix would excite certain people. But The Game Awards are General Audiences and I don’t have much confidence in his ability to please outside of the Smash/Capcom bubble.
Again, Ace Attorney sold better than some of the DLC character's source material, Joker's game sold about 3 million, which Ace Attorney's sales are about 7 million from what I can tell. Not to mention they chose to show Banjo at E3, a character from a dead franchise where people don't even know of 2 of his games. E3's been more generalized too so TLDR, if Pheonix were announced at the Game Awards, he'd be a crowd pleaser

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I’m not changing the rules. I’ve admited in the past that a Phoenix would excite certain people. But The Game Awards are General Audiences and I don’t have much confidence in his ability to please outside of the Smash/Capcom bubble.
this is the same awards show where Nintendo announced Cranky Kong for Tropical Freeze

the reveal does not have to be earth shattering or general audience appealing

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This is just so arbitrary.

As of October of last year, the Persona series had sold roughly 9.3 million copies.

As of 2016, the Ace Attorney series had sold roughly 6 million copies.

That's a better frame of reference than "how loud did a crowd cheer at event."
How is that arbitrary? There’s a clear difference which fits in with the established patterns.

Persona 5 won game of the year. Not Ace Attorney.

D

Deleted member

this is the same awards show where Nintendo announced Cranky Kong for Tropical Freeze

the reveal does not have to be general audience appealing
Damn, I still need to beat Tropical Freeze.

I’m currently at the last world: DK Island.

D

Deleted member

Small poll:

How many of you have known my pfp is Ben Affleck all this time?

I think someone over at the Rate Avatar thread didn’t recognize him, so curiosity has gotten me.

Shroob

Sup?
I think these people expecting someone ****ING HUGE are setting themselves up for disappointment.

We're almost certainly going to end on a more subdued kinda character.

Not someone like Master Chief or someone like that.

Course then it's Sora and the internet explodes.

Noipoi

Howdy!
How is that arbitrary? There’s a clear difference which fits in with the established patterns.

Implying there are patterns
Implying Sakurai doesn’t do whatever he wants when he wants
Implying the only pattern isn’t the pattern of rabid fans scrambling to fit Skaurai’s latest out of nowhere move into their precious pre-established patterns

D

Deleted member

I think these people expecting someone ****ING HUGE are setting themselves up for disappointment.

We're almost certainly going to end on a more subdued kinda character.

Not someone like Master Chief or someone like that.

Course then it's Sora and the internet explodes.
I just want one thing from the Game Awards, and even then I’m not fully counting on it:

4C6A727B-1CEC-4555-9421-FA5926A9F00E.jpeg

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

Stop with the ****ing "patterns," everytime someone builds a pattern up as gospel they just end up upset.

And so what? Persona 5 won Game of the Year, woo hoo. That means anything else that ever gets shown will get booed?

Do you think Geoff Keighley is sitting there going "your character isn't worth my show's time, leave me!" A Smash character will generate hype no matter who it is and no matter where it is, solely because it's Smash -the biggest crossover in gaming.

Shroob

Sup?
Smash totally follows patterns.

Now if you excuse me, I'll be hanging out with the generic enemy that isn't even the most famous or universally recognized one on its game.

:ultpiranha:

/s

There are no patterns. Stop trying to make sense of **** and accept the chaos.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Implying there are patterns
Implying Sakurai doesn’t do whatever he wants when he wants
Implying the only pattern isn’t the pattern of rabid fans scrambling to fit Skaurai’s latest out of nowhere move into their precious pre-established patterns
Sakurai: "We added Wii Fit Trainer to be an out of nowhere choice that would surprise people"

Dumbasses: "Wii Fit Trainer makes perfect sense, clearly she was added due to the game Wii Fit selling millions of copies, and NOT because I was bad at speculation."

Shroob

Sup?
Sakurai: "We added Wii Fit Trainer to be an out of nowhere choice that would surprise people"

Dumbasses: "Wii Fit Trainer makes perfect sense, clearly she was added due to the game Wii Fit selling millions of copies, and NOT because I was bad at speculation."
*coughGematsucough*

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just right out of the gate, I’m sorry I offended you by saying Phoenix wouldn’t be a crowd pleaser or that new stages come with new franchises. I don’t know why me stating my opinion and stating the reasoning for my opinions, and not changing how I think when the evidence I’m presented with doesn’t convince me, is such a big problem.
What does surviving as a species have to do with discussing video games? Other than the fact it's done BY humans? I don't disagree that trying to take information that you know is a solid idea for guessing what's supposed to happen. It makes sense, but you keep being stubborn when someone presents you with information that challenges your views.

But you're using Smash 4's DLC as a means to ignore Shadowwolflink Shadowwolflink 's point for a first party DLC in terms of Smash Ultimate, a different game. I disagree that we'll get a first party DLC character, because of what we've seen of the Fighter's Pass so far.

However, IF one was added, like another FE character, this doesn't break any statements made by Sakurai regarding the Fighter's Pass. If they added Byleth as an example(someone I don't even want), they could add a stage based on Fodlan or something to that manner, and Spirits based on the 3 main students and a few others.

Smash 4's DLC didn't guarantee new stages per character, let alone having a pass. The third parties were new series entirely, so Ryu got his stage and so on so Corrin or Mewtwo didn't need one. Smash Ultimate does state each Fighter's Pass character WILL get a stage, meaning if the last character was from Metroid or Donkey Kong, a new Metroid or Donkey Kong stage would have been made alongside them. So despite being from an established series, the information that Shadowwolflink Shadowwolflink and the rest of us know of the pass isn't contradictory to what we know the pass is supposed to have. The Plant ISN'T a Fighter's Pass character, so it didn't get a stage associated with it.

It does contradict the current pattern of the characters being all 3rd party currently, which is where I personally disagree with him. However there was no statement that it HAD to be 3rd party only, it certainly looks that way though.
Maybe it’s just because I’m used to NRS games. But generally speaking, patterns of dlc tend to hold from game to game

Stop with the ****ing "patterns," everytime someone builds a pattern up as gospel they just end up upset.

And so what? Persona 5 won Game of the Year, woo hoo. That means anything else that ever gets shown will get booed?

Do you think Geoff Keighley is sitting there going "your character isn't worth my show's time, leave me!" A Smash character will generate hype no matter who it is and no matter where it is, solely because it's Smash -the biggest crossover in gaming.
No. It. Won’t. If people don’t know who the character is or like them then it will not generate hype. You have to show the characters in the right circumstances. Phoenix is a general direct character like Terry. Not a blow your mind event like what would be expected of the game awards.

Shroob

Sup?
Just right out of the gate, I’m sorry I offended you by saying Phoenix wouldn’t be a crowd pleaser or that new stages come with new franchises. I don’t know why me stating my opinion and stating the reasoning for my opinions, and not changing how I think when the evidence I’m presented with doesn’t convince me, is such a big problem.

Maybe it’s just because I’m used to NRS games. But generally speaking, patterns of dlc tend to hold from game to game

No. It. Won’t. If people don’t know who the character is or like them then it will not generate hype. You have to show the characters in the right circumstances. Phoenix is a general direct character like Terry. Not a blow your mind event like what would be expected of the game awards.
Snake we had Palutena at E3.

Palutena.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I get you're a Contra fan but it's ok to admit you were wrong and not act like you're being ganged up on just because you were proven wrong

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
alrighty, then

give us your examples of a fitting game awards reveal

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Like, if we're going to bring old games into the mix...

Y'all ain't gonna forget Pac Man was a closed door reveal and that Palutena and the friggen MIIS were their main stage reveal right?

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake we had Palutena at E3.

Palutena.
Then doing things that don’t make sense in the past is not grounds for assuming they will do something that doesn’t make sense every time. You can’t factor in unpredictablity in calculations or predictions because it’s an extra variable. That’s just not how it works. I can’t say that fighter 5 is.... Jazz Jackrabbit (to pick someone randomly) with my only reasoning being “Sakurai does random things” and ignore all the counter evidence against him.

D

Deleted member

For some context, here’s the face LEGO Darth Maul has had for quite a while

4012886C-17C5-4332-A919-017B0CE5288A.jpeg

This new figure is just a strong improvement.

Snake's setting herself up to be BTFO when Reimu is revealed at The Game Awards.
God, I really want Reimu.

Shroob

Sup?
Then doing things that don’t make sense in the past is not grounds for assuming they will do something that doesn’t make sense every time. You can’t factor in unpredictablity in calculations or predictions because it’s an extra variable. That’s just not how it works. I can’t say that fighter 5 is.... Jazz Jackrabbit (to pick someone randomly) with my only reasoning being “Sakurai does random things” and ignore all the counter evidence against him.
But you're doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom