• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Then doing things that don’t make sense in the past is not grounds for assuming they will do something that doesn’t make sense every time. You can’t factor in unpredictablity in calculations or predictions because it’s an extra variable. That’s just not how it works. I can’t say that fighter 5 is.... Jazz Jackrabbit (to pick someone randomly) with my only reasoning being “Sakurai does random things” and ignore all the counter evidence against him.
Snake this is the same company that gave us Wii Music E3 2008 and hyped up Cranky Kong at the Game Awards. Nintendo isn't the best at marketing

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
tfw Palutena was the one that got the huge E3 direct treatment, while Pac-Man of all characters was shown behind close doors
Like, if we're going to bring old games into the mix

Y'all ain't gonna forget Pac Man was a closed door reveal and that Palutena and the friggen MIIS were their main stage reveal right?
Jinx that’s a jinx

One of you owes the other a carbonated soft beverage

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
alrighty, then

give us your examples of a fitting game awards reveal
I don’t know any more that haven’t been explicitly deconfirmed. But it would be something that no one was expecting but was obvious in hindsight. Like how Persona 5 was one of Sakurai’s favorite games but we didn’t expect it in Smash because it just didn’t feel likely. Something like Doom or Dark Souls or Augumon or maybe Crash.

I get you're a Contra fan but it's ok to admit you were wrong and not act like you're being ganged up on just because you were proven wrong
Took me a second to figure out what you meant. And I don’t want to go into this debate here. But I will say you have a very warped view of what happened with her. End of conversation.

D

Deleted member

7BB0929B-2474-4725-B6E9-14EE6CC85845.jpeg

Shroob

Sup?
I don’t know any more that haven’t been explicitly deconfirmed. But it would be something that no one was expecting but was obvious in hindsight. Like how Persona 5 was one of Sakurai’s favorite games but we didn’t expect it in Smash because it just didn’t feel likely. Something like Doom or Dark Souls or Augumon or maybe Crash.

Took me a second to figure out what you meant. And I don’t want to go into this debate here. But I will say you have a very warped view of what happened with her. End of conversation.
And if you believe Verg, all of those are out of the running.

You're staring Cthulhu in the face and trying to make a scientific analysis on it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
There is no evidence that #5 has to be this incredible huge pick. These guys were figured out a year, maybe almost two years ago. And I don’t think they were thinking “alright you’re gonna be revealed at e3, oh you’re a September reveal for sure...” I’m 99.9% sure that stuff was figured out later. It could be Buck goddamn Bumble at the game awards because that’s the date they were given.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Just right out of the gate, I’m sorry I offended you by saying Phoenix wouldn’t be a crowd pleaser or that new stages come with new franchises. I don’t know why me stating my opinion and stating the reasoning for my opinions, and not changing how I think when the evidence I’m presented with doesn’t convince me, is such a big problem.

Maybe it’s just because I’m used to NRS games. But generally speaking, patterns of dlc tend to hold from game to game

No. It. Won’t. If people don’t know who the character is or like them then it will not generate hype. You have to show the characters in the right circumstances. Phoenix is a general direct character like Terry. Not a blow your mind event like what would be expected of the game awards.
Let me stop you right there. Nobody has any issue with you stating your opinion, the issue is entirely with you stating your opinion as if it was fact.

If you had said
"I don't personally think Phoenix Wright is popular enough" or
"I don't really see a character from a pre-established frachise getting a stage" there wouldn't have been any issue, but what you said was closer to
"Phoenix Wright will NEVER happen because no one knows who that is" and
"Characters from series already in Smash CAN'T get stages."

Do you see the difference?

This happens all the time, you start an argument by claiming your opinions are universal facts, then you say something like "I don't understand why you're all mad at me for having an opinion."

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
...wouldn't phoenix fit the same criteria?

Noipoi

Howdy!
The anti-fresh has risen.

Let me stop you right there. Nobody has any issue with you stating your opinion, the issue is entirely with you stating your opinion as if it was fact.

If you had said
"I don't really see a character from a pre-established frachise getting a stage" there wouldn't have been any issue, but what you said was closer to

This happens all the time, you start an argument by claiming your opinions are universal facts, then you say something like "I don't understand why you're all mad at me for having an opinion."
:starman::starman::starman:

This. Precisely this.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
There is no evidence that #5 has to be this incredible huge pick. These guys were figured out a year, maybe almost two years ago. And I don’t think they were thinking “alright you’re gonna be revealed at e3, oh you’re a September reveal for sure...” I’m 99.9% sure that stuff was figured out later. It could be Buck goddamn Bumble at the game awards because that’s the date they were given.
Who wouldn't be hyped for Buck Bumble if he came packaged with his amazing theme song?

Shroob

Sup?
How? Because that’s not what I think I’m doing. My conclusions are based on more evidence than “Sakurai is random lol”
I've never heard that one before. No siree bob.

No chair theory, color theory, music theory, blog theory etc has ever had "conclusions based on evidence" before no sir or ma'am.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Remember, this started because you claimed Pheonix Wright wouldn't be a crowd pleaser, then you were proven wrong based on Ace Attorney having a bigger reputation than characters in the fighter pass and proof people would indeed cheer, then you arbitrarily decided it wouldn't count if that was from a Capcom panel. You're just pretending that being proven wrong is a sign people have it out for you

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

If you had said

Ok. First of all, everything I said was for fighter 5 being revealed at the game awards. Not for all of time. Maybe I didn’t communicate that well.

And secondly, I guess I need to be better at stating this stuff in the first place because I’m pretty sure my initial post included phrasing that showed it was my opinion and assumptions based on the data I have. Not hardcore truths like I actually know.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would argue Terry Bogard is also Game Awards hype worthy, given his huge legacy. But I'll admit bias on that.

Snake we had Palutena at E3.

Palutena.
Meanwhile Pac-Man was shown behind closed doors.

Then doing things that don’t make sense in the past is not grounds for assuming they will do something that doesn’t make sense every time. You can’t factor in unpredictablity in calculations or predictions because it’s an extra variable. That’s just not how it works. I can’t say that fighter 5 is.... Jazz Jackrabbit (to pick someone randomly) with my only reasoning being “Sakurai does random things” and ignore all the counter evidence against him.
Yes. However your means of dismissing someone like Wright is based on the idea that he isn't "worthy enough" something that's not only hard to define, but is subjective from person to person.

First it was "Phoenix wouldn't excite the crowd like Joker" Something I'm not even sure we could know for a fact until it happens, but fine. Then, when it was shown that Phoenix generated hype during his UMVC3 reveal and his sales were comparable to Joker, you moved on to "Well Persona 5 won awards, so THAT'S why he was shown there". If you don't see the appeal of Phoenix, fine. Even I don't particularly want him in, rather I have family who likes his games, so I'd only want to see THEM happy. Everybody here kind of gets who I'd want and what my (objectively fantastic) tastes are.

Hell, I don't see Kratos happening due to Sony owning him and they haven't been buddy-buddy like MS has, nor has the character been previously established with Nintendo like B&K or Fulgore ect ect. yet that's a character you want. I can see the merit behind Kratos however, and revealwise, he would be hype.

If I had to pick a Sony character I'd go with Ratchet and Clank, but I don't see that happening. Not because they aren't "hype enough" but because again, Sony's not known for playing nice with others. Same reason we doubt Sora ever happening because of Disney.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Don't forget, Phoenix has the eternal meme power of "OBJECTION," and the endless fan love of his games' music.

The people likely watching the Game Awards definitely at least know of him. And there world certainly be emphatic cheers.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Awesome, Page 3333!
Clyinder.jpg

Makes me wonder what he looks like when walking or standing up?

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Ok. First of all, everything I said was for fighter 5 being revealed at the game awards. Not for all of time. Maybe I didn’t communicate that well.

And secondly, I guess I need to be better at stating this stuff in the first place because I’m pretty sure my initial post included phrasing that showed it was my opinion and assumptions based on the data I have. Not hardcore truths like I actually know.
Literally a handful of posts ago, I posted information showing that Ace Attorney has sales within 3mil of Persona and your response was basically "yeah, but no one knows who Phoenix Wright is, Persona 5 is the one that won Game of the Year" as if P5 being well known means Phoenix Wright can't be. The only way crowd reactions could be as valid as sales numbers is if you had evidenve of something Ace Attorney being shown off at TGA and the crowd collectively going "meh," which has never happened.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm READY to blast that theme fammunition.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Remember, this started because you claimed Pheonix Wright wouldn't be a crowd pleaser, then you were proven wrong based on Ace Attorney having a bigger reputation than characters in the fighter pass and proof people would indeed cheer, then you arbitrarily decided it wouldn't count if that was from a Capcom panel. You're just pretending that being proven wrong is a sign people have it out for you
Stop putting words in my mouth and feelings in my head. I am not changing the rules arbitrarily. These have always been part of my thinking since my first post. And I said later on that the evidence you provided didn’t convince me. So I was not “proven wrong”. Give me one event where the audiences are general (anything where the audience isn’t just Capcom fans) and then I’ll be proven wrong. A clip of people cheering for a Capcom character appearing in a Capcom game is very biased data.

And if you believe Verg, all of those are out of the running.

You're staring Cthulhu in the face and trying to make a scientific analysis on it.
Which is why I said “I can’t think of any that haven’t been deconfirmed”. I gave examples that fit the criteria, but I’m certain there are others that fit it that I can’t think of.
...wouldn't phoenix fit the same criteria?
How? He’s such a safe pick, consistently placing on fan ballots. If we see him it will not be “woah! I never expected that!” Like joker. It will be “cool. He’s in”.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I wish the video blocker plugin for Chrome would work again.

Getting tired of seeing Laxchris when I look up Smash on YouTube.

D

Deleted member

I wish the video blocker plugin for Chrome would work again.

Getting tired of seeing Laxchris when I look up Smash on YouTube.
What’s up you guys, LaxChris here with another leak coverage!

This screenshot comes from 4Chan, so remember to take it with a grain of salt!

325170DB-007E-424D-8055-2B51F6FEA7F6.jpeg

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
How? He’s such a safe pick, consistently placing on fan ballots. If we see him it will not be “woah! I never expected that!” Like joker. It will be “cool. He’s in”.
You mentioned both crash and doom guy, who I'd argue are both in very similar situations as phoenix, placing very well on fan ballots and were both considered highly likely by many

not sure why they count and phoenix doesn't

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Boy we sure would have egg on our faces if The Game Awards didn't reveal a Smash character and instead said, "Mr. Sakurai will show off the next character next Wednesday." Thus the "Who's Game Awards worthy?" thing would mean less than nothing. Wouldn't that be funny?

Ha ha ha ha ha. ha ha ha. ha. ha.......

Terry MOTW Ending.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom