• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You gotta remember that 2017 was an absolutely jam packed year with likes of BoTW, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Super Mario Odyssey

I can see why it wasn't nominated with that sort of competition
As much of a crash fan as I am, I can at least acknowledge that it didn’t stand a chance of even being nominated against those titles.
https://www.polygon.com/platform/am...cizes-the-unnatural-amount-of-remakes-and-old

Reminder that Sakurai has spoken out against remake culture in the past.
Why am I not surprised.

Anything is bad in excess. Honestly the people who think that if we support remakes we’ll only get remakes, or if we support superhero movies that’s all we’ll get, they sound a little like me yesterday when I was flying off the Handel about customizable characters.

When you sound like me flying off the Handel, you know you have a problem.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You take that Bach!
I hate my phone’s autocorrect. For a long time I didn’t know how to spell handle and would spell it Handel. And I did that for so long, fighting against the autocorrect, that it just gave up and now that I know the appropriate spelling it autocorrects it to the composer’s name.

D

Deleted member

I thought Persona 5 was the best selling and most popular game in the franchise? A year ago people were telling me that Joker would be an evergreen pick that people would always remember to to the franchise’s legacy.
I think she means Persona 4 is just so good it holds up even to Persona 5's massive success. I've only watched an LP so I can only compare stories.

Can't really deny that the story was more gripping in Persona 4. The goal is more defined and spread out throughout the game compared to Persona 5 where it feels P5 could have ended after the first dungeon. This is also why Persona 4's antagonist is more memorable too because the game is basically about catching him. Plus I felt the characters were more like real people who had their own personal issues and flawed mindsets that they themselves had to overcome vs. Persona 5 where it's basically "**** da system, man."

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think she means Persona 4 is just so good it holds up even to Persona 5's massive success. I've only watched an LP so I can only compare stories.

Can't really deny that the story was more gripping in Persona 4. The goal is more defined and spread out throughout the game compared to Persona 5 where it feels P5 could have ended after the first dungeon. This is also why Persona 4's antagonist is more memorable too because the game is basically about catching him. Plus I felt the characters were more like real people who had their own personal issues and flawed mindsets that they themselves had to overcome vs. Persona 5 where it's basically "**** da system, man."
Maybe persona 5 appeals to me then because of my love of superheroes.

Still want a Batman/Persona 5 crossover comic.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Plus P4 has Nanako. Sweet and pure Nanako

D

Deleted member

Maybe persona 5 appeals to me then because of my love of superheroes.

Still want a Batman/Persona 5 crossover comic.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong. Persona 5's story is good. It covers so much relatable ground to where it's bound to appeal to someone no matter their background. The good vs. extremely evil writing is why a lot of moments feel cathartic in its narrative. Just think it needed a stronger overall structure instead of relying on the Monster of the Week thing Persona 4 did.

Plus P4 has Nanako. Sweet and pure Nanako
Futaba might as well be nerdy Nanako for some.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeah don't get me wrong. Persona 5's story is good. It covers so much relatable ground to where it's bound to appeal to someone no matter their background. The good vs. extremely evil writing is why a lot of moments feel cathartic in its narrative. Just think it needed a stronger overall structure instead of relying on the Monster of the Week thing Persona 4 did.

Futaba might as well be nerdy Nanako for some.
I want to see Dojima and Sojiro get together and have like.... coffee or something. And just listen to the conversation.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Plus I felt the characters were more like real people who had their own personal issues and flawed mindsets that they themselves had to overcome vs. Persona 5 where it's basically "**** da system, man."
You know, this sums up my problems with P5's character writing pretty well. For a game that's supposed to be about Jungian psychology, there wasn't much in terms of character introspection.

There are good character arcs in some Confidants (Futaba, Haru and Yusuke's in particular), but most conflicts throughout the story felt pretty impersonal.

I think Royal fixes this to a degree, but not sure to what extent.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, I managed to get Sword for 40€, also basically 3DS pricing, as it is already 50€ everywhere (except Gamestop, because Gamestop) and I had a store coupon left. I'm currently 1.5h into the game and just arrived at the Wild Area but taking a break for now.
The game is OK so far. I mean, it's Pokemon, it's hard to mess up the core gameplay. And to give it credit, it has some nice QoL changes, like the game telling you your next goal on the menu screen, something that was kind of attempted in FRLG an DPPt to a lesser degree, as well as a pop up whenever you get a new item, telling you what it does, so you don't have to manually check. It also not only lets you skip the catching tutorial, but also the Pokemon Center one, no clue why they felt the need to add one in later gens to begin with, but it's welcome.

The sad thing is, you can actually see where care was put into and the wasted potential. The little cutscene that plays before you choose your starter is pretty cute and kind of elaborate for what it is. The Towns themselves also look nice, but they don't live up to their potential either. They feel pretty lifeless, no thanks to the pretty short draw distance, which shouldn't even be a thing on the Switch, Basically, increase the draw distance, add a few more NPCs and maybe increase the texture resolution a bit and they would look really nice. Also fix the water, right now it looks more like tar or oil than water.

Also I can't stand Hop, who is pretty much Hop 2.0. I didn't like Hau either, so there's that. Can't say I like Leo either, he comes across as pretty haughty.

D

Deleted member

I want to see Dojima and Sojiro get together and have like.... coffee or something. And just listen to the conversation.
Dojima: You got any beer in here.
Sojiro: This is a coffee shop.
Dojima: You got any alcoholic coffee?

You know, this sums up my problems with P5's character writing pretty well. For a game that's supposed to be about Jungian psychology, there wasn't much in terms of character introspection.

There are good character arcs in some Confidants (Haru and Yusuke's in particular), but most conflicts throughout the story felt pretty impersonal.

I think Royal fixes this to a degree, but not sure to what extent.
Pretty much. Since everyone felt like victims of a greater outward evil, it really made it hard for characters to see what was wrong with themselves. Like it's good to fix society and I'm all for that, but Persona's about fixing yourself.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, I managed to get Sword for 40€, also basically 3DS pricing, as it is already 50€ everywhere (except Gamestop, because Gamestop) and I had a store coupon left. I'm currently 1.5h into the game and just arrived at the Wild Area but taking a break for now.
The game is OK so far. I mean, it's Pokemon, it's hard to mess up the core gameplay. And to give it credit, it has some nice QoL changes, like the game telling you your next goal on the menu screen, something that was kind of attempted in FRLG an DPPt to a lesser degree, as well as a pop up whenever you get a new item, telling you what it does, so you don't have to manually check. It also not only lets you skip the catching tutorial, but also the Pokemon Center one, no clue why they felt the need to add one in later gens to begin with, but it's welcome.

The sad thing is, you can actually see where care was put into and the wasted potential. The little cutscene that plays before you choose your starter is pretty cute and kind of elaborate for what it is. The Towns themselves also look nice, but they don't live up to their potential either. They feel pretty lifeless, no thanks to the pretty short draw distance, which shouldn't even be a thing on the Switch, Basically, increase the draw distance, add a few more NPCs and maybe increase the texture resolution a bit and they would look really nice. Also fix the water, right now it looks more like tar or oil than water.

Also I can't stand Hop, who is pretty much Hop 2.0. I didn't like Hau either, so there's that. Can't say I like Leo either, he comes across as pretty haughty.
Wait, was there a price cut?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Dojima: You got any beer in here.
Sojiro: This is a coffee shop.
Dojima: You got any alcoholic coffee?

Pretty much. Since everyone felt like victims of a greater outward evil, it really made it hard for characters to see what was wrong with themselves. Like it's good to fix society and I'm all for that, but Persona's about fixing yourself.
Well. Looks like I’m going on the right direction then with my hypothetical spin-off.

D

Deleted member

Wait, was there a price cut?
Well, I can't speak for everyone a it might differ from country to country, but where I live, SwSh are 50€ pretty much everywhere, except Gamestop. In fact, it's rarer to see the game for 60€ than 50€.

D

Deleted member

What's up people?

I passed an english exam but there was a question where it asked me to use the words given in the exercise to complete some sentences and I understood that as doing that but also while literally using the word "given" for each sentence.

I found that really funny.

osby

Smash Obsessed
What's up people?

I passed an english exam but there was a question where it asked me to use the words given in the exercise to complete some sentences and I understood that as doing that but also while literally using the word "given" for each sentence.

Coincidentally, given is also my favorite anime of this season.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
The nominations are coming

What's up people?

English is a weird language, glad you passed.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, Disco Elysian got a nomination for best narrative. Surprising, but I’m happy.

D

Deleted member

OMFG this thing has been in my recommended for weeks now, and it's funnier than I expected:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom