• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Didn't Sakurai state that they did not plan to reveal Joker at the game awards and that it was more of a last minute decision?

What's the likelihood that fighter 5 is if the first one wasn't?
Nintendo could make him do it again?

Plus Joker was nowhere near even started on production at the time. It took four months before he was ready.

Compare that to FP5 who probably already has a test build and is two months away as of the VGA.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
At this point, I think it could be between Capcom, Namco, Ubisoft, and Square Enix.

Each company has roots among hardcore gamers and could easily make a splash. I could see:

Leon
Phoenix Wright
Dante
Heihachi
Dark Souls
Ezio
2B

All make a splash as a Smash pick for the non-hardcore Smash fans, especially if Crash and Doom Slayer are out.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Tbh, there are so many 3rd Party companies with big names that aren't in Smash. I would find it hard to narrow down our picks to companies that have characters already in the game, I mean, Terry kinda ruined that streak.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Tbh, there are so many 3rd Party companies with big names that aren't in Smash. I would find it hard to narrow down our picks to companies that have characters already in the game, I mean, Terry kinda ruined that streak.
That's one of the reasons why I tend to like first-parties more. The odds of you getting a third-party you wanted without an insane amount of fan support is so much lower than it is with first-parties.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nintendo could make him do it again?

Plus Joker was nowhere near even started on production at the time. It took four months before he was ready.

Compare that to FP5 who probably already has a test build and is two months away as of the VGA.
I mean, I'd imagine they already decided on when to reveal these characters from the start along to when they decided on the characters themselves. If there where no plans initially to reveal the first one there, whats the likelihood of them revealing the last one there?

Wouldn't it also be possible of them doing something like last year's evo and announce a Smash Direct there? I'd imagine it would give them a bit more leeway to reveal whoever they want like last time as well as talk more about how the post pass would go. Rather than being restricted to something very specific.

But that's just me...

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Your all predicting companies that are already in, but I’d like to suggest a different candidate.

Tracer might be out but there’s three just as good contenders for a overwatch spot that would be huge.

The first and likeliest being solider 76. He’s the leader of overwatch and one of their most popular characters. With a move set that works perfectly for smash. Considering his importance to the game and popularity he makes a lot of sense.

Second: Winston.

Hes a key figure in reviving overwatch in the present day and bringing everyone together again. His move set would be a little harder to fit in smash. However his design and moves would be pretty unique in general.

lastly: Reaper.

another character whose move set works very well in a smash setting. He was a big co leader in overwatch and then joined talon becoming one of their biggest figures.

All three of these characters have enough importance to contend for the spot imo. On top of that they could have pretty unique move sets and would be fun while representing overwatch well. Overwatch is a huge game with a new sequel, the timing of a smash reveal alongside the sequel reveal would be pretty perfect and get a lot of people hyped

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Think of it this way. They decided on the “project plan”, and the project plan is what determined who would be worked on and when, and therefore the reveal schedule. The base game also has a “project plan” and I actually wouldn’t be too surprised if the two plans were tied together.

That’s mainly why I think a curveball like Assassin’s Creed or Nier Automata would be surprising to us, while that pool opens up a bit when through the lens of a non-hardcore Smash fan.

I didn’t, but that unfortunately isn’t the game people think about when it comes to Joker.
Do you remember how Joker wasn’t even originally intended to be revealed at the Game Awards? If that’s true then it can’t be the reason they did him first.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Do you remember how Joker wasn’t even originally intended to be revealed at the Game Awards? If that’s true then it can’t be the reason they did him first.
Not necessarily.

He was first. Problem is, they didn’t have the materials together to have him actually shown off, but just a teaser instead. I obviously don’t know the logistics of it, but it was likely the best chance to do the reveal rather than waiting another month or two to a smaller audience.

Nintendo Directs don’t usually get the same viewership as TGA, so it makes sense tbh.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Not necessarily.

He was first. Problem is, they didn’t have the materials together to have him actually shown off, but just a teaser instead. I obviously don’t know the logistics of it, but it was likely the best chance to do the reveal rather than waiting another month or two to a smaller audience.

Nintendo Directs don’t usually get the same viewership as TGA, so it makes sense tbh.
But it was last minute! We know this. They were gonna have something else at the game awards, we don’t know what. So they quickly threw together a teaser for fighter 1 for Smash because it was the only viable option and even he wasn’t ready to be shown off completely yet. Before they had to quickly change things around, they were gonna show something else at the game awards and Joker was gonna be shown later somewhere else, probably the February direct where we got the first glimpse of his model. So they did not pick Joker because they wanted to reveal him at the game awards. They didn’t pick anyone solely because of when they could reveal them. They picked all 5 and then put them in the estimated best time slots, probably built around Hero and Banjo at E3 and (after they had already been picked). That’s how Sakurai has said it’s done in the past. They pick the roster and then do everything else. So while it is possible that they were like “this character would be good for the game awards, let’s do them last” but it is equally possible that they were like “well, we have everyone else nailed down and this guy’s all that’s left”. Both are just as possible, so I don’t think it’s right to discount characters that wouldn’t make a big splash at the audience.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Didn't Sakurai state that they did not plan to reveal Joker at the game awards and that it was more of a last minute decision?

What's the likelihood that fighter 5 is if the first one wasn't?
Yes but this year Smash Ultimate is in the running for winning awards no way would they want to pass this opportunity up. Also its been two months since Terry's reveal and an DLC character normally gets released two months after his/her reveal which fits the deadline for February 2020.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yes but this year Smash Ultimate is in the running for winning awards no way would they want to pass this opportunity up. Also its been two months since Terry's reveal and an DLC character normally gets released two months after his/her reveal which fits the deadline for February 2020.
Please no. Please no. Don’t make us wait till ****ing February. This wait is getting rediculous. Other fighting games do so much more than 5 characters in one year. Maybe if they weren’t working with a skeleton crew like everyone says they are they wouldn’t be coming at a snails pace.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Please no. Please no. Don’t make us wait till ****ing February. This wait is getting rediculous. Other fighting games do so much more than 5 characters in one year. Maybe if they weren’t working with a skeleton crew like everyone says they are they wouldn’t be coming at a snails pace.

I wasn't saying that. I stated that it'd make sense to reveal FP5 at the Game Awards given for every DLC fighter they get released gotten in 2 months.

Before some people brings up:ultpiranha:and:ultjoker:. Its been stated Piranha Plant was planned for Base game and Joker was never intended to be revealed at the VGA being last minute.

StormC

Smash Hero
The characters will come when they're ready.

It's basically guaranteed fighter 5 is out in January anyway, since they've come out in proximity to Amiibo waves every time.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
DBS Broly's trailer for FighterZ is out now.

The quality of animation given to him and Gogeta is ******* amazing. He looks SO good.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Other fighting games usually don't have 76 fighters at launch.

Smash DLC isn't about filling the gaps in the base game. It's about developers giving fans some extra fanservice after a very long development cycle for them.

Not to mention the packs we get are very generous in terms of content and they require negotiations with third parties.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
DBS Broly's trailer for FighterZ is out now.

The quality of animation given to him and Gogeta is ******* amazing. He looks SO good.
You see this?

This is what we call the m-m-m-m-money shot!!!

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Soul Calibur 6's season pass felt like it was dragged out forever.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Its likely were going to get FP5 at the Game Awards anyways. That or at least on Ultimate's first year anniversary given each of the DLC gets released two months after their announcement.

Also again Ultimate is up for awards this year which it'll likely be getting. Perfect timing.

I think its even possible we might get an direct that announces said character this month. Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't there been an Nintendo direct every November for the pass few years?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I guess it’s a trend for Namco fighters then. I have a similar problem with Tekken 7. And Smash is being co-developed with Bandai Namco. Capcom, NRS, Iron Galaxy, SNK, and to some extent Arc System Works are all able to work much faster.
Arc System Works
*looks at Cross Tag Battle*

...Yeah, I'm OK with slower DLC updates if it means I'm getting a complete game at launch.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Its likely were going to get FP5 at the Game Awards anyways. That or at least on Ultimate's first year anniversary given each of the DLC gets released two months after their announcement.

Also again Ultimate is up for awards this year which it'll likely be getting. Perfect timing.

I think its even possible we might get an direct that announces said character this month. Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't there been an Nintendo direct every November for the pass few years?
Game specific directs, yes, not General Directs. We definitely 100% will not get a Smash Direct after already getting a 50 minute Terry video. I don't know what games they would hold a specific Direct for in November, Pokemon is out in four days.

If we were getting a character announcement this month, they would have slotted it into Terry's video.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Game specific directs, yes, not General Directs. We definitely 100% will not get a Smash Direct after already getting a 50 minute Terry video. I don't know what games they would hold a specific Direct for in November, Pokemon is out in four days.

If we were getting a character announcement this month, they would have slotted it into Terry's video.
7th of December or VGA it is then.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Other fighting games usually don't have 76 fighters at launch.

Smash DLC isn't about filling the gaps in the base game. It's about developers giving fans some extra fanservice after a very long development cycle for them.

Not to mention the packs we get are very generous in terms of content and they require negotiations with third parties.
Yeah, we've got 80 characters right now. That's an insane number of characters for any game. Unless you're one of the ten or less people on planet Earth who pick that up and can't find a single character you like or have a connection with, then it's time to chill out just a little bit. Try to find enjoyment in what you have instead of focusing so much on what isn't guaranteed to happen.

And of course I come from the perspective of having been lucky enough to have gotten one of my dream characters (take a guess), but when I was watching the Ultimate reveal in my hotel room in Geneva, Switzerland, I didn't care that there weren't any new characters besides Inkling and Daisy. I just loved that all the characters from all the older games finally returned, since that's what I saw potential for when looking at Smash 4's roster, and that itself was a dream come true. I was fully ready to main R.O.B. again for the third game in a row after 10 years. All these new characters are just icing on the cake of what's already a dream game.

So try to find other things to engage your time than DLC speculation. Especially when almost all these "leakers" are probably wrong, just like most of them were wrong last year, except for Vergeben. Remember when the Grinch hoax happened, and you had a dozen different people saying different things about it over the span of a week or two, and only Vergeben said quickly and definitively that it was fake? It's not worth listening to these people and getting your hopes up.

...but speaking of which, we have a transmission.

Graizen

Smash Champion
First of all, I literally never said the character in question had to be a character that was up for an award. I said it’s a possibility because the pool is so great when you look at them that way.

I doubt it would be planned that way. But it’s the quality of the games we’re talking about.

Do you have a source on being the “second most popular”? If we’re talking a general gaming audience, with hardcore gamers at a western event, I would argue that Tekken is the beat choice for a Namco character, or a Dark Souls pick.

Sure, it might have sales to support it. But would it make 20 something year old fans at a western focused event freak out about crossing over to Smash? These aren’t just Nintendo fans, but PlayStation and Xbox fans as well.

I can’t see Digimon getting a major reaction out of those people.

Persona was in fact targeted. It’s an M rated game that was a breakout title. Western fans prefer more “adult-oriented games”, so to see that crossover into Smash gets a hype reaction from those fans.

I talk a lot about RE and DMC on here, so it wouldn’t be “surprising” to you guys. But it very well likely would be a surprise to fans at TGA. Same as Assassin’s Creed or Nier, which should be considered a surprise to everyone considering how little we’ve talked about those two.

Starting to think “surprising pick” is just code for “a pick I want”.
Ok , let's talk about "reactions for Digimon", becouse we need to understand how big Digimon was and is.

Digimon started with the Tamagotchis, also known as Virtual Pets. In its first release in 1997 it sold over 14 million copies. A lot of people got to know Digimon mainly in Japan.

Then we had two console games, the first in 1998 for Sega Saturn and the second in 1999 for the Playstation. Both sold well too, but nothing huge.

So we had the first anime called Digimon Adventure. This anime was what brought Digimon the most fame. In short he made Digimon so famous around the world that it began to be compared to Pokémon, and it was through this that the rivalry between the two franchises began.
And in fact it was so big that many people say that Digimon's Anime has always been better than Pokémon's, and at the time it sparked a lot of discussion, even more than Sonic vs. Mario and the like.

We recently had a Digimon season called "Digimon Adventure Tri", with several episode-sized short films that were aired in Japanese theaters and some other countries.
The name Digimon Adventure has become so widely spoken worldwide that this series has also become a huge hit by putting Digimon once again at the top. Showing that people are still in love with Digimon.

The point here is to understand that even for people who don't connect Digimon to their games, Digimon is still a world renowned and extremely nostalgic franchise that will attract millions of fans worldwide to Smash Bros if a franchise character is added.

If we are going to talk particularly about games then you should check this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Digimon_video_games
With more than 10 games on various Nintendo consoles Digimon has always been present in the world of video games, and many are passionate about these games to this day. Having games like Digimon World 3 and Digimon Rumble Arena as one of the favorite games of their lives.
Now also with 3 games on the Nintendo Switch, one of them to be released in 2020.

The main representation coming from Digimon would be for Virtual Pets, it was through Digimon that these devices became even more famous, and the franchise that should represent the genre of Virtual pets with Battles should be Digimon.
Sakurai was responsible for creating a Tamagotchi in 2005 for SEGA where you played with battling insects, it was totally based on Digimon's Virtual Pets, so I guess it's part of his story too.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2005/12/15/sakurai-works-on-mushi-king

And finally we can talk a little bit about how big Digimon is for Bandai Namco. And just like Pokémon, Digimon is also a munti-media franchise, and today is Bamco's second largest franchise, second only to Pac-man, earning over $ 6.36 billion. Digimon has yielded to this day more than Minecraft, Resident Evil, Game of Thrones and Mortal Kombat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises
With over 40 games, 7 anime seasons, over 10 movies, over 5 published manga, and new Virtual Pets released almost annually worldwide.

So I think through this text I must have at least shown you that the audience for Digimon is very large, and that surely a Crossover between Digimon and Pokémon would make millions of people worldwide vibrate.
Sorry for the big text, it was the only way I found to show you what the Digimon franchise is capable of.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
But it was last minute! We know this. They were gonna have something else at the game awards, we don’t know what. So they quickly threw together a teaser for fighter 1 for Smash because it was the only viable option and even he wasn’t ready to be shown off completely yet. Before they had to quickly change things around, they were gonna show something else at the game awards and Joker was gonna be shown later somewhere else, probably the February direct where we got the first glimpse of his model. So they did not pick Joker because they wanted to reveal him at the game awards. They didn’t pick anyone solely because of when they could reveal them. They picked all 5 and then put them in the estimated best time slots, probably built around Hero and Banjo at E3 and (after they had already been picked). That’s how Sakurai has said it’s done in the past. They pick the roster and then do everything else. So while it is possible that they were like “this character would be good for the game awards, let’s do them last” but it is equally possible that they were like “well, we have everyone else nailed down and this guy’s all that’s left”. Both are just as possible, so I don’t think it’s right to discount characters that wouldn’t make a big splash at the audience.
What you’re suggesting isn’t organized. It’s, “eh, we’ll reveal then when we reveal them” which isn’t really how this works.

That’s like saying they didn’t plan to reveal base game characters when they did. We know the reveals were planned when they were because Sakurai spoke to revealing 5 characters in the August 2018 direct.

We could argue that they “didn’t plan Joker”, but they revealed him at TGA. Those are the facts. It paid off. Sure, it was a last minute adjustment, but for all we know the decision was made because of the audience. If you ask me, that is likely why it was changed.

I think I’m done with this argument for now because we aren’t getting anywhere. I don’t think it’s Digimon, as there are characters that will absolutely appeal to the fans in attendance and get a large pop-off at the event. That’s not really a diss at Digimon, it’s just that Nintendo has to know the audience.

It’s something I tell my students for their writing. Who is your audience? If your audience is your peers, your presentation has to resonate with them.

For Nintendo? The audience is no longer limited to hardcore Nintendo fans. The reveal is with PS4 and Xbone players. It’s PC players. It’s 20-40 year old players. It’s a western audience that likes more mature games culturally.

There are plenty of great options that resonate with that audience. In my humble opinion, Digimon is not one of them. It seems to me the only reason this is coming up is because we’re talking about a pick that is trivially “unexpected”, which is up for debate in terms of what is truly unexpected in the first place.

Could it be Digimon? Sure. Do I personally think it will be? Nope.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If FP5 somehow turns out to be Kratos (Maybe with Atreus) or Master Chief. There's gonna be more then the internet crashing. I guarantee you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom