• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm just picturing the impossible. Imagine if its Kratos (Maybe even with Atreus) revealed at the VGA.

I think that would break the internet given Nintendo's and Sony's relationship and Sakurai having managed to make it work.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Considering the audience of TGA, I don’t think Digimon would necessarily be the right fit.

Persona was previously a GOTY contender. It’s still in the minds of gamers, whereas I don’t know that Digimon is in that same sort of position.

I still think Assassin’s Creed, Nier, Devil May Cry (which may be a potential GOTY), Resident Evil (which may be a potential GOTY) are all decent choices.

Also, Dragon Quest isn’t a niche choice. It’s the grand dad of all JRPGs.

EDIT: In terms of surprises, we had this discussion yesterday. The audience at TGA would be surprised by pretty much any of RE, DMC, AC, TR, Nier, etc. It’s not just what is surprising to us, the minority.

It’s a general gaming audience.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I just found out that Goro Akechi was voiced in English by the guy Disney was using for Spider-Man in everything before the PS4 game took off. He’s a Spider-Man.
He didn't voiced him in everything though/
Drake Bell was him too.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Considering the audience of TGA, I don’t think Digimon would necessarily be the right fit.

Persona was previously a GOTY contender. It’s still in the minds of gamers, whereas I don’t know that Digimon is in that same sort of position.

I still think Assassin’s Creed, Nier, Devil May Cry (which may be a potential GOTY), Resident Evil (which may be a potential GOTY) are all decent choices.

Digimon is Namco Bandai’s 2nd most popular gaming franchise after Pac-Man. It’s super popular. Why wouldn’t it be a good fit? Why does the character announced at the awards have to be someone who won one or is up for one? I doubt that’s how they picked the dlc roster.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just found out that Goro Akechi was voiced in English by the guy Disney was using for Spider-Man in everything before the PS4 game took off. He’s a Spider-Man.
Wait until you learn about Morgana's Japanese voice actress.

(I know it's common knowledge but yeah, you can make a lot of voice actor jokes with P5)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Digimon is Namco Bandai’s 2nd most popular gaming franchise after Pac-Man. It’s super popular. Why wouldn’t it be a good fit? Why does the character announced at the awards have to be someone who won one or is up for one? I doubt that’s how they picked the dlc roster.
First of all, I literally never said the character in question had to be a character that was up for an award. I said it’s a possibility because the pool is so great when you look at them that way.

I doubt it would be planned that way. But it’s the quality of the games we’re talking about.

Do you have a source on being the “second most popular”? If we’re talking a general gaming audience, with hardcore gamers at a western event, I would argue that Tekken is the beat choice for a Namco character, or a Dark Souls pick.

Sure, it might have sales to support it. But would it make 20 something year old fans at a western focused event freak out about crossing over to Smash? These aren’t just Nintendo fans, but PlayStation and Xbox fans as well.

I can’t see Digimon getting a major reaction out of those people.

Persona was in fact targeted. It’s an M rated game that was a breakout title. Western fans prefer more “adult-oriented games”, so to see that crossover into Smash gets a hype reaction from those fans.

I talk a lot about RE and DMC on here, so it wouldn’t be “surprising” to you guys. But it very well likely would be a surprise to fans at TGA. Same as Assassin’s Creed or Nier, which should be considered a surprise to everyone considering how little we’ve talked about those two.

Starting to think “surprising pick” is just code for “a pick I want”.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
He didn't voiced him in everything though/
Drake Bell was him too.
They dropped Bell hard after Ultimate Spider-Man. Robbie Daymond was in the new spider-man cartoon and MvCI and probably would have continued on if Yuri hadn’t done such a good job in Spider-Man PS4. And i imagine Disney will probably continue with Yuri given that the things he’s been in have great reception, whereas the times Robbie has voiced the character have been critical flops.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
First of all, I literally never said the character in question had to be a character that was up for an award.

Do you have a source on being the “second most popular”? If we’re talking a general gaming audience, with hardcore gamers at a western event, I would argue that Tekken is the beat choice for a Namco character, or a Dark Souls pick.

Sure, it might have sales to support it. But would it make 20 something year old fans at a western focused event freak out about crossing over to Smash? These aren’t just Nintendo fans, but PlayStation and Xbox fans as well.

I can’t see Digimon getting a major reaction out of those people.
Okay. Now you’re starting to sound like me with some of the stuff I was saying yesterday about a reveal being “game awards tier”. Something that I massively regret doing now because it’s so meaningless.

And yeah, it is a figure based on Sales and I once again have to tag Graizen Graizen because he has the sources for that saved and I don’t.

And I think we need to realize that they did not pick fighter 5 based on “who would get the most applause at the game awards”. I guarantee it. I doubt they even originally intended to reveal anyone their if not for needing a last minute fill in last year and seeing the huge positive reception it got. Meaning it was picked before they ever knew they’d be revealing it at an event like that. Digimon is just as likely as anyone else they could pick.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Hey

Hey Tito

You're Doomed
Hey, this could always be the first time that Vergeben is wrong on something! Doomguy could still happen!

All jokes aside, I'm quite interested to find out who Nintendo chose over him. I never expected Geno to be fighter #5 since there was nothing in this current batch of characters that suggested we'd be getting upgrades, but Doomguy would've been a pretty hype way to close out the pass.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I based my bet on if that leak was fake. Something that really is only provable if the creator comes out and admits it or if we get to the end of the line and they never showed up. As the common consensus among insiders is “if it’s real it’s not related to fighter 5”
If neither costumes are revealed by the first or second post-pass character, then I'd start worrying.

At that point, it wouldn't make much sense for the Mii costumes to exist so early and look so polished. That sort of stuff is usually done last.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

EDIT: In terms of surprises, we had this discussion yesterday. The audience at TGA would be surprised by pretty much any of RE, DMC, AC, TR, Nier, etc. It’s not just what is surprising to us, the minority.

It’s a general gaming audience.
I agree. If you’re gonna reveal a character at TGA, you better make it a big one. Honestly, I just really don’t hear many people talking about Digimon on the scale I hear people talk about things like Persona 5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey, this could always be the first time that Vergeben is wrong on something! Doomguy could still happen!

All jokes aside, I'm quite interested to find out who Nintendo chose over him. I never expected Geno to be fighter #5 since there was nothing in this current batch of characters that suggested we'd be getting upgrades, but Doomguy would've been a pretty hype way to close out the pass.
No idea mate. All of the 5chan contestants are shot down (with Ryu and Doom deconfirm). It's up in the air now that the two most popularly discussed newcomers are just dead right now (for FP 5 anyways).

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Okay. Now you’re starting to sound like me with some of the stuff I was saying yesterday about a reveal being “game awards tier”. Something that I massively regret doing now because it’s so meaningless.

And yeah, it is a figure based on Sales and I once again have to tag Graizen Graizen because he has the sources for that saved and I don’t.

And I think we need to realize that they did not pick fighter 5 based on “who would get the most applause at the game awards”. I guarantee it. I doubt they even originally intended to reveal anyone their if not for needing a last minute fill in last year and seeing the huge positive reception it got. Meaning it was picked before they ever knew they’d be revealing it at an event like that. Digimon is just as likely as anyone else they could pick.
I don’t think I agree with that.

Joker- an M rated protagonist from a game not on Nintendo consoles is revealed in front of a mixed audience, and said audience has a preference for M rated games

Dragon Quest- revealed at a Western event and matched with advertising the game for a western audience, something Square Enix has been trying to capture for years

Banjo- revealed as a western pick at a primarily western conference with a mainly western audience. This is also at a conference where Microsoft, the owner of the character, is a console competitor and now collaborator of Nintendo.

Terry- doesn’t fit any of those, but could fit into a broadcast with general information on Smash, so he’s revealed when he’s revealed

Reveals are absolutely planned a certain way. You do certain things at certain times. That’s what businesses do. This is why the Cranky Kong announcement was awful and the Joker announcement was so excellent: it showed that Nintendo has started to understand the audience they were standing in front of.

Going to leave it there though. I rest my case.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Joker- an M rated protagonist from a game not on Nintendo consoles is revealed in front of a mixed audience has a preference for M rated games

Dragon Quest- revealed at a Western event and matched with advertising the game for a western audience, something Square Enix has been trying to capture for years

Banjo- revealed as a western pick at a primarily western conference with a mainly western audience. This is also at a conference where Microsoft, the owner of the character, is a console competitor and now collaborator of Nintendo.

Terry- doesn’t fit any of those, but could fit into a broadcast with general information on Smash, so he’s revealed when he’s revealed

Reveals are absolutely planned a certain way. You do certain things at certain times. That’s what businesses do. This is why the Cranky Kong announcement was awful and the Joker announcement was so excellent: it showed that Nintendo has started to understand the audience they were standing in front of.

I agree, but an event where Terry could have been announced? EVO.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Joker- an M rated protagonist from a game not on Nintendo consoles is revealed in front of a mixed audience has a preference for M rated games

Ok. I concede that they order the reveals based on factors like that, but they still didn’t pick the characters based on that. They didn’t go “hey, we need to pick a character we can reveal at the game awards, they were like “hey, which of the 5 that we already picked can we reveal where”. And if they only have one guy left, and the game awards is the only place they can reveal it, then that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re catered to that specific audience. It could be just “this is the last guy revealed at the last opportunity”.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ok. I concede that they order the reveals based on factors like that, but they still didn’t pick the characters based on that. They didn’t go “hey, we need to pick a character we can reveal at the game awards, they were like “hey, which of the 5 that we already picked can we reveal where”. And if they only have one guy left, and the game awards is the only place they can reveal it, then that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re catered to that specific audience. It could be just “this is the last guy revealed at the last opportunity”.
Think of it this way. They decided on the “project plan”, and the project plan is what determined who would be worked on and when, and therefore the reveal schedule. The base game also has a “project plan” and I actually wouldn’t be too surprised if the two plans were tied together.

That’s mainly why I think a curveball like Assassin’s Creed or Nier Automata would be surprising to us, while that pool opens up a bit when through the lens of a non-hardcore Smash fan.
did eveyone forget PQ2 is a thing or is everyone just ignoring it
I didn’t, but that unfortunately isn’t the game people think about when it comes to Joker.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Didn't Sakurai state that they did not plan to reveal Joker at the game awards and that it was more of a last minute decision?

What's the likelihood that fighter 5 is if the first one wasn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom