• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
How's everyone doing right now? Will probably head to bed soon so I wanted to say hi now before I head off for the night.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Alright, time to be honest. Despite my only initial reaction to just make a gamer joke about it, I actually really liked Joker. It was really well executed. I went in expecting some secondhand embarrassment due to previous comments from the director of the film, but it's kinda clear to me that this was Joaquin Phoenix's vision more than anything else. His performance made the protagonist feel real, including their flaws and struggles. I wish the director hadn't tried to make this movie about being a response to "woke culture" because it isn't, it's about the struggles of a mentally ill lower class person living in an unsympathetic society that is constantly taking away resources and punching down at people like him. Of course, in this man's particular case he is flawed and definitely either in the wrong or responding to his situation the wrong way a lot of the time. He is ultimately a bad person. I don't want to say he's sympathetic as I feel that could be taken as glorifying what he's doing, which is obviously wrong. I do want to say that a lot of his financial, social, and mental struggles are a reality for many lower class people living urban lives. Mentally ill people are treated without sympathy or acknowledgement of their condition and are just expected to act normal when they can't, and then are denied medication to help with what they're dealing with. That's the takeaway people should have with this movie imo.

Didn't expect to write this much but that's my Joker tangent. I've spent so long rewriting this due to it being a sensitive topic so I may word it as best as possible to convey my thoughts as I intended that the thread has moved on to two new topics already probably.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just took a look at that recent Pokemon footage that was shown and I just noticed something cool.

The sky has actual cloud lighting mechanics. The game will go slightly dim when the clouds go over the sun.

That's actually a really neat thing. Beautiful.
It’s the little things

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I just took a look at that recent Pokemon footage that was shown and I just noticed something cool.

The sky has actual cloud lighting mechanics. The game will go slightly dim when the clouds go over the sun.

That's actually a really neat thing. Beautiful.
I noticed this a while back and tried pointing it out to a few people because I thought it was a really cool detail worth acknowledging.

Unfortunately, it wasn't the National Dex, so Twitter didn't care. The lesson of the day? Share good things about SwSh literally anywhere but Twitter.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I know I’ve said this in the past, but i honestly really hope that the next FP continues to go in the direction this one has up to this point (That being 3rd party focused and shock value). I don’t think a single DLC newcomer has disappointed me so far, so it’d be great if i could say the same for the next one.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I noticed this a while back and tried pointing it out to a few people because I thought it was a really cool detail worth acknowledging.

Unfortunately, it wasn't the National Dex, so Twitter didn't care. The lesson of the day? Share good things about SwSh literally anywhere but Twitter.
I mean, people everywhere are still pretty upset by it obviously. But Twitter in particular seems ridiculously pissed too this day. Like, just as pissed as the day it was announced.

Double K

Smash Lord
idk, I just thought Joker was a super boring villain flick that did a "Why Joker bad" in a less interesting way than Killing Joke, or The Batman Who Laughs, or even Flashpoint Joker

This kind of thing has been standard for games where there is actual cloud movement beyond skyboxes since the PS2, it's not particularly impressive

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, people everywhere are still pretty upset by it obviously. But Twitter in particular seems ridiculously pissed too this day. Like, just as pissed as the day it was announced.
Honestly, I don't even know why I bother with Twitter anymore. Whether it's SwSh or some other topic, everything is so negatively toxic and one-sided that you can't have a civilized conversation with anyone.

This kind of thing has been standard for games where there is actual cloud movement beyond skyboxes since the PS2, it's not particularly impressive
Okay, but so what? That's still attention to detail that they could've easily left out.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I don't even know why I bother with Twitter anymore. Whether it's SwSh or some other topic, everything is so negatively toxic and one-sided that you can't have a civilized conversation with anyone.

Okay, but so what? That's still attention to detail that they could've easily left out.
I mean, that applies to pretty much every Social Media platform where there's no sense of community.

Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Youtube, this isn't Twitter exclusive.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

That’s not the experience I have with it.

Maybe I’m just using it wrong.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I've been reading more of Moon Knight's original run. Pretty interesting stuff. I guess 80's comics mesh more with my style in terms of writing. I especially dig, how most of his enemies are fairly normal, mobsters, assassin's, Villains without powers, drug dealers and the like. There's some really nice page layouts too. It's not super common, but there's been multiple issues that have had nice paneling so I couldn't help but dap it up. I know it'll get into some more traditional super-powered fights later on, I'm curious to see how that'll go.

But I think every generation has certain lingo and **** that can be weird to read. Hearing characters use terms like "Adulting" irks me because I already hate that term as it is. Some 90's dialogue also has this issue, but some of those terms feel less weird to have someone actually say in context. While some of today's comics sound more like people talking on twitter with their banter, but maybe I'm being a bit of an old man on that front. For some reason the 70's and 80's dialogue feels more natural, even with it's own share of dated lingo. Like Spider-Man calling people "cats" instead of dude.

For the most part, Spider-Man and Venom talk like normal ass people. So does Carnage, but every once in a while, he'll sound like a Gogurt ad from 1995.

Double K

Smash Lord
No they didn't. They didn't have cloud lighting until now.
Clouds would cast shadows in high-areas where clouds would actually have their sprites appear on the map, but it was more that there was a separate texture for the shadows.

Unless you're specifically talking about how the clouds themselves catch sunlight, in which case that's the kind of detail most people turn off in games because it tanks the framerate

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Me: Oh boy, I can’t wait to beat Necrozma!
Necrozma: One-shots my entire party.
Me:
Guess I’ll be level grinding for a few dozen levels.
I thought (Ultra) Sun and Moon were supposed to be braindead easy games for toddlers. That's what the internet told me.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I think I got a strategy after I level grind.
1. Get Toxic TM
2. Teach to one of my ‘Mon
3. Hope it applies with no hitch.
4. Spam healing items on my team until it faints.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Mario & Luigi did... But now it's gone
Yeah, I'm gonna miss how it requires eight Yoshis to push one Chomp Rock, and how they cower in fear from a giant monster the size of which they faced before, and how they were so dumb that they mistook Baby Bowser for their savior despite witnessing M&L--

.........................**** :yoshi:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I saw Zoroark and Lucario thirst being mentioned, so I tried to find a picture to go along with some witty response I'd come up with.

Found this instead.

8f2.jpg

It's literal Zoroark and Lucario thirst.

I mean, that applies to pretty much every Social Media platform where there's no sense of community.

Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Youtube, this isn't Twitter exclusive.
In my experience, Twitter is one of, if not the worst of them all. Reddit hasn't been as bad, and YouTube comments are more memes and garbage than anything else. Wouldn't know about Facebook because I haven't used it in years.

Twitter is a bad place in general to discuss controversial opinions. It's rarely tame and respectful toward others.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Clouds would cast shadows in high-areas where clouds would actually have their sprites appear on the map, but it was more that there was a separate texture for the shadows.

Unless you're specifically talking about how the clouds themselves catch sunlight, in which case that's the kind of detail most people turn off in games because it tanks the framerate
Maybe the terminology is lost to me. I dunno.

So, when the clouds go over the sun in the sky in the Galar game, the game will gradually go dimmer, then brighter as the clouds continue on, as it would realistically. Again, that was never done in any other Pokemon game.

It's not technically impressive, sure. It's the fact that they added it, and that's nice.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I saw Zoroark and Lucario thirst being mentioned, so I tried to find picture to go along with some witty response I'd come up with.

Found this instead.

View attachment 241872

It's literal Zoroark and Lucario thirst.

In my experience, Twitter is one of, if not the worst of them all. Reddit hasn't been as bad, and YouTube comments are more memes and garbage than anything else. Wouldn't know about Facebook because I haven't used it in years.

Twitter is a bad place in general to discuss controversial opinions. It's rarely tame and respectful toward others.
"Reddit hasn't been as bad"

>Has a whole handful of subreddits that are so bad they have to be quarantined off from the average user, and I'm not just talking about nsfw stuff.

It's a subreddit to subreddit kind of deal.

Double K

Smash Lord
The hell are you on about? They didn’t cut idle animations, ya dweebus.
Standing animation isn't an idle animation.

Idle animations are when the character model has been left out of control and will just move to keep it visually interesting. Compare how in Ultimate, Mario will sometimes weave around, or adjust his hat, Link goes on guard it will look around. Or Samus checking her arm blaster/doing a little fist pump. Those are idle animations.

When you let your turn go, Pokemon will have only their standing animation and they loop through that. A few Pokemon that have these are stage 1 starters, mascots and legendaries (like Rowlet turning his head around to face you)

Shroob

Sup?
Standing animation isn't an idle animation.

Idle animations are when the character model has been left out of control and will just move to keep it visually interesting. Compare how in Ultimate, Mario will sometimes weave around, or adjust his hat, Link goes on guard it will look around. Or Samus checking her arm blaster/doing a little fist pump. Those are idle animations.

When you let your turn go, Pokemon will have only their standing animation and they loop through that. A few Pokemon that have these are stage 1 starters, mascots and legendaries (like Rowlet turning his head around to face you)
Ah, you mean the animations from Gen 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom