• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I honestly prefer the morally grey villains. Magneto is one of my favorites because of the fact that his ideals match Xavier’s, but he has more violent means.

Once you get more of his backstory, the fact that Magneto has dealt with stuff explains why he has the outlook he displays. Sometimes...you almost want to agree with him.

It really comes down to the writing. God Loves, Man Kills is a great piece. When it comes to the Joker, while the Killing Joke doesn’t necessarily make the reader sympathetic to him, but understanding that, really, Batman is just the opposite extreme of Joker. It makes the characters that much more interesting imo.

So freaking glad I got more into comics over the last few years. Some of the characters are simply great.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This was probably not be but watching the movie I felt the movie wasn't trying to make you sympathize with him. At least that's how I felt with it but how it shows anyone can go down such a dark path.

Same they could do with these other supposed DC Dark movies.

Plus as a Joker movie I'd say its bad but as an Elseworld story based on the character its great IMO.

Except it wouldn't exactly be Joker, just a character based on him as Brandon Breyer from Brightburn was to Superman.
I never saw Brightburn. I heard it was a deconstruction and then ignored it. I’m sick of deconstruction and cynicism. I’d rather we go back to sincerity, love for the source material, and fun while also exploring the character and humanity of these fantastical characters. If that’s ever a place we were in to being with.

I haven’t seen it. So I can’t judge. But everything I’ve seen about it makes me not want to see it. Obviously reading a plot summary on Wikipedia and watching MatPat y’all about it isn’t the same as watching the movie, like at all, but it really sounded like they were making him sympathetic and pandering to the growing band of revolutionaries and bigots on the internet who idolize his Dark Knight incarnation (arguably the single worst trilogy of Batman movies ever). Maybe I’ll give it a watch if I get the opportunity to see it without paying for it. But I do not want to show support for this type of movie.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I honestly prefer the morally grey villains. Magneto is one of my favorites because of the fact that his ideals match Xavier’s, but he has more violent means.

Once you get more of his backstory, the fact that Magneto has dealt with stuff explains why he has the outlook he displays. Sometimes...you almost want to agree with him.

It really comes down to the writing. God Loves, Man Kills is a great piece. When it comes to the Joker, while the Killing Joke doesn’t necessarily make the reader sympathetic to him, but understanding that, really, Batman is just the opposite extreme of Joker. It makes the characters that much more interesting imo.

So freaking glad I got more into comics over the last few years. Some of the characters are simply great.
Good for you. But don’t try to add shades of grey to black and white villains. Lex Luthor is a egomaniacal bigot with aspirations of world domination. The Joker is a murderous sociopath who sees no value in human life and lives to cause chaos and mayhem because he thinks it’s funny. Cheetah is a woman cursed by the goddess of the hunt into becoming a cold blooded mass murderer. And Reverse-Flash is an obsessive fanboy who went to far.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So I'm pretty much done with movies for this year. You guys have any other movies left this year you'll be seeing?

Next year I shall start again in January with Underwater (You already know I'm a sucker for killer creature flicks whether they're bad or not).

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Good for you. But don’t try to add shades of grey to black and white villains. Lex Luthor is a egomaniacal bigot with aspirations of world domination. The Joker is a murderous sociopath who sees no value in human life and lives to cause chaos and mayhem because he thinks it’s funny. Cheetah is a woman cursed by the goddess of the hunt into becoming a cold blooded mass murderer. And Reverse-Flash is an obsessive fanboy who went to far.
but if they're redoing the characters like they are with the Joker movie, what's wrong with making them a bit more grey?

D

Deleted member

I never saw Brightburn. I heard it was a deconstruction and then ignored it. I’m sick of deconstruction and cynicism. I’d rather we go back to sincerity, love for the source material, and fun while also exploring the character and humanity of these fantastical characters. If that’s ever a place we were in to being with.

I haven’t seen it. So I can’t judge. But everything I’ve seen about it makes me not want to see it. Obviously reading a plot summary on Wikipedia and watching MatPat y’all about it isn’t the same as watching the movie, like at all, but it really sounded like they were making him sympathetic and pandering to the growing band of revolutionaries and bigots on the internet who idolize his Dark Knight incarnation (arguably the single worst trilogy of Batman movies ever). Maybe I’ll give it a watch if I get the opportunity to see it without paying for it. But I do not want to show support for this type of movie.
The closest the movie comes to those "Gamer" memes is a namedrop about Society no way was it made because of those memes plus I'm sure the movie was in production way before then. That's not what they were going for.

And what's wrong with Deconstructing a character? Doing those kinds of movies doesn't instantly mean the people behind them don't like the character as I'm sure they chose the Joker because they loved the character and found him interesting.

They were also not making him sympathetic at all only showing that anyone with enough of a push and beat down could take a wrong path in life not that he's sympathetic or right as him doing stuff when he turns into the Joker isn't played off as funny or right but instead sick and deranged.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
but if they're redoing the characters like they are with the Joker movie, what's wrong with making them a bit more grey?
Because once these movies get popular they change the source material pretty much permanently. See the Teen Titans post show, Mr. Freeze, both incarnations of Harley Quinn, and pretty much every character in the MCU. These changes stick. And changing them in this way is not something I would like.
The closest the movie comes to those "Gamer" memes is a namedrop about Society no way was it made because of those memes plus I'm sure the movie was in production way before then. That's not what they were going for.

And what's wrong with Deconstructing a character? Doing those kinds of movies doesn't instantly mean the people behind them don't like the character as I'm sure they chose the Joker because they loved the character and found him interesting.

They were also not making him sympathetic at all only showing that anyone with enough of a push and beat down could take a wrong path in life not that he's sympathetic or right as him doing stuff when he turns into the Joker isn't played off as funny or right but instead sick and deranged.
Doesn’t
He start and become the face of a revolution where people literally kill the rich?

About deconstructions. I’m just sick of it. I’m sick of cynicism. I’m sick of people taking these fantasy stories and going “pfeh. Yeah right! THIS is what would happen if this story were REAL”. Makes me frustrated

I’ll take your word about them making him sympathetic though. That’s something you really can only get from actually seeing it.
Ah, Thermian Argument!!! My arch nemesis!!! :yoshi:
I had to look up what that meant. And what I read didn’t make sense.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
As a DC fan.... I am super sick on the over emphasis on villains. Specifically Batman villains. Especially since almost no DC Hero has had a good true to source adaptation. Especially Not Batman and Superman. This has only recently started happening with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam.

I just don’t like watching movies about the bad guy. I want to root for the protagonist. Plus, exactly how evil they are tends to get watered down to make them more relatable. You should never be made to feel empathy for The Joker. He’s pretty much pure chaotic evil. If you find yourself relating to him and empathizing with him then they did a bad job at adapting him. And I dread what this could to do other DC villains. Especially since elements from these movies tend to cross over to and influence the comics once they become popular.
I don't know if you watch the shows or not, but Flash and Supergirl are pretty good.

D

Deleted member

Watched Joker today, overall a quite good movie. Performances were great and I thought the origin they went with him was quite interesting.

D

Deleted member

Because once these movies get popular they change the source material pretty much permanently. See the Teen Titans post show, Mr. Freeze, both incarnations of Harley Quinn, and pretty much every character in the MCU. These changes stick. And changing them in this way is not something I would like.

Doesn’t
He start and become the face of a revolution where people literally kill the rich?

About deconstructions. I’m just sick of it. I’m sick of cynicism. I’m sick of people taking these fantasy stories and going “pfeh. Yeah right! THIS is what would happen if this story were REAL”. Makes me frustrated

I’ll take your word about them making him sympathetic though. That’s something you really can only get from actually seeing it.

I had to look up what that meant. And what I read didn’t make sense.
Well yes but that wasn't voluntary more just incidentally and it's not played off that he meant to do that. Sure he started it but it wasn't intentional.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, I’m not adding the “shade of grey” to the Joker. The Killing Joke is considered one of the best Comic book stories ever, because the story is told well, and makes two of the most dynamic characters in pop-culture more alike than fans thought.

We know “what” these popular characters are about. But exploring the “why” can be interesting once in awhile. I don’t think the latest Joker movie or even the interpretation Jared Leto has will ever outshine the classic Joker and Batman stories.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Watched Joker today, overall a quite good movie. Performances were great and I thought the origin they went with him was quite interesting.
It didn't make it into my top 11 movies of this year but it did make into my honorable mentions alongside Child's Play, Detective Pikachu and Gemini Man.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don’t.

But they’re getting more prominent than Ernest and loving depictions of these characters and elements.

If you like them, then more power too you. But I would prefer they not be the only thing we get.
People making realistic interpretations of characters and their worlds doesn’t mean they don’t love the characters.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I’m not adding the “shade of grey” to the Joker. The Killing Joke is considered one of the best Comic book stories ever, because the story is told well.

We know “what” these popular characters are about. But exploring the “why” can be interesting once in awhile. I don’t think the latest Joker movie or even the interpretation Jared Leto has will ever outshine the classic Joker and Batman stories.
I really hope your right. But Dark Knight elements have really been sticking around.
Realistic interpretations of the characters and their worlds doesn’t mean they don’t love the characters.
I’m sorry but that’s just not how it reads to me. To me. It reads like they’re saying “pfeh. That’s lame. This is how it would happen in the REAL world!”

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I really hope your right. But Dark Knight elements have really been sticking around.

I’m sorry but that’s just not how it reads to me. To me. It reads like they’re saying “pfeh. That’s lame. This is how it would happen in the REAL world!”
Or maybe it’s more like “I really love this character, what if they were in the REAL world!!!”

Not everything is as cynical as you seem to think.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Me: Oh boy, I can’t wait to beat Necrozma!
Necrozma: One-shots my entire party.
Me:
6B7B0E6A-9271-4B2A-A40A-97BB6E494F59.png
Guess I’ll be level grinding for a few dozen levels.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Krillin's render in Fighterz looks really ****ed up for some reason. His Kakarot render is on point.

I think that has to do with Krillin's head being tilted downwards a bit. It makes his forehead a little larger and his face is lowered some. That said, the DBZK one looks freaking great. But I like both renders a lot.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Or maybe it’s more like “I really love this character, what if they were in the REAL world!!!”

Not everything is as cynical as you seem to think.
I suppose.

I mean, I would show my love for something by accurately adapting it and cramming in a tonne of fanservace and references but to each their own.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I just took a look at that recent Pokemon footage that was shown and I just noticed something cool.

The sky has actual cloud lighting mechanics. The game will go slightly dim when the clouds go over the sun.

That's actually a really neat thing. Beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom