• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Ridley yes. But K. Rool has been basically abandoned by the Donkey Kong games. And let's not forget that Metroid is mostly popular in the states and even there it's never been a historically high seller, which is why it struggles so much as a series.

That statement irritates me. So god damn much. Sure, people can become fans of something if they're exposed to it for the first time. But that is not grounds to ONLY give them things they aren't asking for. It's grounds for a mix of both at the very least.
Oh the smash bubble absolutely has an impact on things, but you can say much worse things about Geno and Isaac. I imagine being from franchises that have had playable reps since the begining also boosted K. Rool and Ridley's positions in the general public.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Reimu in Smash?

Sees how broken Touhou characters are in the fammade Rivals characters

Yeah, you know what? Maybe we don't want Bayo's second coming.
Nah Reimu would be even more broken than she is in Rivals :p

In all seriousness the balancing team in this game has done a tremendous job. Ever since they hired pro players to balance the game it seems the balancing team knew what to do unlike the ones who were in Smash 4.

Has there ever even been a localized Touhou game? From what I'm seeing it took until 2017 for a game to get released in the west and it was kept in Japanese. Like, with DQ and KoF getting in I can see why people would talk about 2hu, but Sakurai still wants people to at the very least have a way to play the games. Remember that he wouldn't have put Lucas in Brawl if he had known Mother 3 would never get localized.
If you mean officially translated then yes. Antinomy of Common Flowers is officially translated in English.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

guys

the ONE TIME my cat is sweet itm when im working

You see how I spelled “it” as “itm?” That’s ‘cause he rubbed my finger as I was typing.

D

Deleted member

That, from my perspective, seams like an extremely stupid business decision. Giving your fans what they want will be a much easier sell than giving them what they don't, plain and simple.
Who's to say people didn't want Joker, Dragon Quest, Banjo, and SNK? I think the only newcomer people never asked for was :ultpiranha:. Problem with Smash is you can't choose the most wanteds from one specific player base or else you alienate potential buyers from many other bases.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Nah Reimu would be even more broken than she is in Rivals :p

In all seriousness the balancing team in this game has done a tremendous job. Ever since they hired pro players to balance the game it seems the balancing team knew what to do unlike the ones who were in Smash 4.

If you mean officially translated then yes. Antinomy of Common Flowers is officially translated in English.
Oh, ok. 2hu still seems very unlikely to me, to say the least.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
THIS
KONG

IS AN APE.

Noi asked for monkeys.
I don't care.

They refer to the DK Rap as the "monkey rap", despite Diddy and potentially Tiny being the only monkeys featured in the song.

If Rare didn't count it, then neither do I

Lemme Lankypost without criticism, dangit

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, there's no need for a ballot. Sakurai should be able to tell which characters are popular without any assistance from polls or ballots. All a ballot manages to accomplish is cause fans to raise their expectations to almost unrealistic levels.

Ultimate has done a fairly decent job of balancing popular requests with unexpected additions. This was way more balanced in the base game than it currently is with DLC, but at least fans are clearly getting as acknowledged through Banjo and Sans. I don't think anyone can claim that Sakurai is ONLY giving us characters we don't want. At the very least, it's a step up from Smash 4.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Oh, ok. 2hu still seems very unlikely to me, to say the least.
Touhou does have a long shot for getting in and I agree that the series has some hurdles. But I still believe that Reimu is a legitimate contender that has some points for her inclusion. In the end it's up to the big man himself and Nintendo if they want her or not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey I got an idea
Let’s all disscus who your mains and secondary’s are and why you like to play with them.

I’ll go first
:ultpeach:-i once saw 2 peaches going against 2 heavy weights in spectate but both lost and I thought I can do better than that and BOOM! I mained her without knowing she was s tier.
:ultpiranha:-PLANTGANG
:ultbanjokazooie:-he was one of my most wanteds so why not use him at all?

:ultpalutena:-I’ve noticed she dose verry well than :4palutena:.
:ultcorrinf:-giving her some love she’s pretty cool and yes I always use the female version.
:ultkrool:-this guy is so easy for me to use for heavyweights good recovery good spikes even his big shield gut.

D

Deleted member

I’m heading off to a Smash tournament. I need some tips. lol Anyone got any?

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
So, I've spent some time at a college parade with my Dad and had a decent time there. Though, I caught a glimpse of these two band performers doing a very "suggestive" motion with their drums they were using.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It seems to me like "popularity" is the only bar in which most people seem to consider important. If it were, I think the first pass would have been much different.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Sakurai in the dev team to look, wholistically, at the roster and think, "We're nearing 100 characters, and are trying to make this the 'ultimate character game'. What big series can we get?"

Sakurai has stated this before. This is likely his magnum opus, his greatest work. If he adds a pass full of more completely-new characters to Smash, the crossover gets past 40, something it wouldn't if he stuck with upgrades, for example.

There's more to Smash than just adding "the most popular", especially when we're looking at what's popular specifically among Smash-fans. There's the saying that the consumer "doesn't always know what they want", or at least thinks they want what they want. With the scope of the game, I don't think popularity "doesn't matter" or something, but I don't think it's the be all end all indicator. Terry Bogard and Joker seem to acknowledge that imo.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Throw out every Nintendo character that aren't the face of their franchise and then include every third party you can.

First Parties are just taking up filler spots that more important and popular third parties should fill.

/s

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Scoliosis Jonesy be like: *Writes an essay on something most people already know* /s

But seriously popularity isn't the end all be all but it's also at least a decently important factor proven by Ridley, Simon, K. Rool, Banjo, Chrom, Etc.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
If Sakurai really is done adding popular requests, it'll be a big disappointment. Most of the popular requests from pre-release are in the game in some form, but in the end, only a select few of them became playable. There's still a lot of big fanbases who have to accept their character staying a spirit and/or Assist Trophy until the next Smash game, which won't happen for years and years.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Wow. It's crazy to think we're a month away from seeing Terry and #5.

Womder when the leaks will happen.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Choose a character for each company below to join Super Smash Bros Ultimate!

EGaY8WuWwAA7HmY.jpg

Mine:
EGaYuNUWkAEkoTz.jpg

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I have a feeling it's Doomslayer or Crash. Maybe Ryu and maybe an RE rep.

But if Sega gets another, Tails would be cool. Unfortunately I feel another Sonic character ain't happening.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What I think we have to ask ourselves is, if Sakurai was going to add a character who has popularity (but already made a spirit) why would he only add them now if nothing else has changed?

I mean think about it. Since release, nothing has changed for characters like BWD, Shantae...etc... If there was popularity before, and that same popularity exists now, then what would make Sakurai change his former position?

Would upgrades make sense for the fans that want them? Yeah, that's cool. But it doesn't seem likely considered the vision and what the man has said himself.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I'm willing to bet my avatar (for a week or two) that Doomslayer is Fighter #5.
not brave enough to bet my account on anything, sry...

Haven't you posted this a couple of times already?
Once, and some people wanted more companies! So I made a larger version.
Fun right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom