• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Choose a character for each company below to join Super Smash Bros Ultimate!

View attachment 241809

Mine:
Nintendo: Isaac
Namco-Bandai: Heihachi
Sega: Dr. Eggman/Segata Sanshiro/Arle Nadja
Ubisoft: Rayman
Blizzard: N/A (Nobody due to recent events)
Bethesda: Doomguy
Square-Enix: Geno
Capcom: Phoenix Wright
Sony: Parappa
Microsoft: Steve
SNK: Nakoruru
Atlus: Demi-Fiend
Arcsys: Sol Badguy
Activision: Crash Bandicoot
Koei-Tecmo: Ryu Hayabusa
Konami: Bomberman
Platinum: 2B
Monolith Soft: Rex/Pyra
NetherRealm: Scorpion
Nis: Whoever you chose (I don't know this company)
EA: N/A
Indie: Sans/Reimu
Valve: Gordon Freeman
Rockstar: CJ
Bioware: Commander Shepard
NaughtyDog: Jak & Daxter
Insomniac: Ratchet & Clank
Projekt Red: Whoever you chose
Epic Games: Jonesy
From Software: Chosen Undead

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What I think we have to ask ourselves is, if Sakurai was going to add a character who has popularity (but already made a spirit) why would he only add them now if nothing else has changed?

I mean think about it. Since release, nothing has changed for characters like BWD, Shantae...etc... If there was popularity before, and that same popularity exists now, then what would make Sakurai change his former position?

Would upgrades make sense for the fans that want them? Yeah, that's cool. But it doesn't seem likely considered the vision and what the man has said himself.
Why would he bring back Roy in the same game that gave Marth a Roy palette?

D

Deleted member

What I think we have to ask ourselves is, if Sakurai was going to add a character who has popularity (but already made a spirit) why would he only add them now if nothing else has changed?

I mean think about it. Since release, nothing has changed for characters like BWD, Shantae...etc... If there was popularity before, and that same popularity exists now, then what would make Sakurai change his former position?

Would upgrades make sense for the fans that want them? Yeah, that's cool. But it doesn't seem likely considered the vision and what the man has said himself.
I see spirits having a good chance being upgraded post-FP if they're from games not represented as ATs or fighters yet (or Geno because Smash Bubble). Characters like Isaac, Shantae, and Custom Robo would bring new worlds not yet fully represented in Smash Bros, which falls in line with Sakurai's mission statement.

D

Deleted member

Something has changed though and that's timing. Assuming that the Fighters Pass was chosen alongside them choosing Spirits that would likely mean that they had no plans for those characters currently at the time of choosing the FP specifically the post-FP DLC could've been selected after the FP DLC in which case they could've changed their mind about a select few characters in-between the two projects.

Maybe I'm wrong but the timing leads me to believe in the possibility of choosing some spirit characters to upgrade.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
We have at least 5, possibly 10 characters coming. Let's just chill. If the third character on the second wave is still a new third party and no upgrades, we'll just have to accept it.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
However...I will bet my account on Rex and Pyra never being playable in Ultimate.

Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong on that.

D

Deleted member

Something has changed though and that's timing. Assuming that the Fighters Pass was chosen alongside them choosing Spirits that would likely mean that they had no plans for those characters currently at the time of choosing the FP specifically the post-FP DLC could've been selected after the FP DLC in which case they could've changed their mind about a select few characters in-between the two projects.

Maybe I'm wrong but the timing leads me to believe in the possibility of choosing some spirit characters to upgrade.
I agree with this

While I’m not expecting it, it’s possible it could happen

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

That’s my point though. If the amount of “popularity” was there prior to the Fighter Pass, and they still weren’t chosen, why would that same level of “popularity” get them in now if it didn’t get them in before?

Again, the idea that the character would get upgraded because they’re popular seems to ignore the fact that despite their popularity, they still crossover over, just not as playable in the first place.
I see spirits having a good chance being upgraded post-FP if they're from games not represented as ATs or fighters yet (or Geno because Smash Bubble). Characters like Isaac, Shantae, and Custom Robo would bring new worlds not yet fully represented in Smash Bros, which falls in line with Sakurai's mission statement.
That comes down to Sakurai considering Spirits as “part of the crossover”, which, I’d argue he does. At least he hinted at it in a SG translation. He effectively mentions that, “when you consider Spirits in the game, it truly is a massive crossover!”

Still, with games “not fully represented” that still doesn’t explain why he would/should pick characters already in Smash one way or another when he could continue to pick content that is not already in.

In terms of Nintendo, Astral Chain comes to mind. With 3rd party companies, there are several.

I’m very likely not going to be convinced that spirits will be upgraded. But depending on the character, I would happily be wrong. Isaac or Rex for example would made me absolutely satisfied.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I don't believe spirits deconfirm fighters, I mean, didn't people say the same about trophies in sm4sh? Then again, spirits are a bit more interactive, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
If we were to get a swsh pokemon as dlc, who do you guys want? If I had to pick so far i'd probably say sirfetch'd.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I maintain that chances don’t exist when it comes to Smash characters. We don’t know all the factors of selection, no matter how much we pretend to. And the truth is that everyone is equally as likely as everyone else.
If we were to get a swsh pokemon as dlc, who do you guys want? If I had to pick so far i'd probably say sirfetch'd.
To early to say. Honestly I’m not really a fan of using region exclusive variants of Pokémon from previous gens in Smash. Even if they are new evolutions. It just feels too.... specific. And none of the new Pokémon so far really tickle my fancy. Maybe the final evolutions of the starters could change that. Maybe they won’t. But honestly, SwSh’s new mons kind of bore me.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I maintain that chances don’t exist when it comes to Smash characters. We don’t know all the factors of selection, no matter how much we pretend to. And the truth is that everyone is equally as likely as everyone else.
I don't know what to expect from Smash after Joker got in.

D

Deleted member

I forgot that Jigglypuff is an actual Pokemon
Whenever I see it my mind immediately associates it with Smash because as far as I care that's the only game where it exists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom