• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
When it comes to “Spirit upgrades”, and I’ll go into this in my upcoming piece, but I don’t really get the idea that “spirits are on the playable jump table” when it should be, based on evidence thus far, that they’re off the table until it happens.

There’s precedent to suggest it’s not gonna happen. Until that precedent is broken, it’s likely better to assume it isn’t going to happen in order to avoid disappointment.

It’s not that it can’t, just that there’s no reason to assume it’s suddenly likely.
This is about to be a long post. Hopefully you guys don't mind, since it's not like there's much in the rumor mill, something I'm more than okay with at the moment, if I'm being honest.

Sure. None of the added characters were spirits beforehand. So that's the most reasonable conclusion to jump to. One that I even agree with. The only reason I don't see it as outright impossible is to compare it the DLC in the Previous game. Trophies, the equivalent of Spirits(though who you ask, one might have more importance over the other) in Smash 4. We had trophies of Lucas and Mewtwo respectively(in both versions no less), as they were Non-Playable characters. Then, those two, among others were added to Smash 4's DLC roster.

For the Fighter's Pass, each character was likely already chosen a while back, probably near the same time as the base was completed, if I had to guess (unless stated otherwise). Because of this, each one would have to stand out on their own drastically, and I'm sure plenty of us could make an argument as to how a popular character from an already present franchise in Smash could still accomplish this, I believe many could. But no matter who they were, they couldn't exactly be the same as bringing in a whole new franchise to, like Fatal Fury or Banjo-Kazooie. These series also needed to bring in their own spirits. Which again, some present series would have a very easy time doing so, others...not so much.

For the post Fighter's Pass/Fighter's Pass 2 DLC or whatever it'll be, we don't know the exact process of who'll get picked and why, not that we ever truly did outside of a few notable characters, but you get my point. I would like to think that the characters chosen could be a Spirit already and it not matter too much. Because at the end of the day, many of them are just PNGs. Some are also assist trophies, but since they serve a more direct role in the game's standard means of play, it would be harder to justify giving them a fully playable role as well. If they did, I'd honestly bet on Waluigi, cause the dude's been asked for the most.

There's also characters who show up in someone else's Final Smash, Chrom, albeit as an echo of Roy with Ike's Up-B. I'm unsure if Shulk could even get an Echo Fighter, as the only one who could potentially fight like him is Dunban, who specifically can't use the Monado to it's Full Power like Shulk(though he's the only one badass enough other than Shulk to use it at all.) And in Mega Man's case, Protoman and Bass could act as his Echo fighters.

If we're talking fully unique characters from a Final Smash being fully playable, this clearly opens the door to Fiora, Dunban being made properly and all the other Mega Men. Riki's already an assist, so maybe he'll be the first to pull off all three somehow.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
One other thing to point out is that the DLC was chosen the same way as the first time, with Nintendo involved and Sakurai having the final say.

My whole thing with Spirit or AT upgrades, is that the 1st party characters in question would struggle to fit the same model the previous characters have.

Even if they’re new to being playable, they’re still not “NEW”, to the extent that any previous DLC character has been. The only 1st party, non-veteran DLC we got previously was Corrin in Smash 4. To expect an entirely different approach and adding characters that are already in as DLC? I just don’t see it.

I wouldn’t say it’s impossible, but I wouldn’t call it likely either.

I’m also simply the opinion that this game should go as far as this crossover can take it, and that when Sakurai says he’d like to “expand on the record as much as possible...”as much as possible” right now is, potentially, another pass of five characters. Why would randomly add a character that already has a designated role in the game? That goes effectivey against what he said.

At least, in my interpretation it does.

I’m not anti-1st parties by any means. I simply think that there are many stronger picks if you look outside of Nintendo, and that most of not all picks, in the spirit (heh) of expanding the crossover should be from series NEW to Smash.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think there's anyone who I could say is 100% disconfirmed post-Fighter Pass, but DLC Spirits come closest. I'm sorry, but I think these characters wouldn't have been added as Spirits if Sakurai had bigger plans for them. He probably would've saved their Spirit for when they became a character.

Next would be DLC Mii Fighter costumes, which I don't think are as telling as DLC Spirits, but still pretty bad for a character's chances. Why make the costume if they're gonna be playable anyway?

Next in line are ATs, which I'm not really sure where I stand on. It's possible Sakurai could add them since the second wave wasn't planned before launch, but then again, they have pretty significant roles already. It hasn't happened before, which makes it a lot harder to say it's still possible without being influenced by a bias.

After that, I think everything else is fair game. Stage cameos and base game Spirits should be fine.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
In all seriousness, I do wanna visit Canada one day.

Being an American Leafs fan has made me salivate over visiting the greater Toronto area for years, and due to their memorable sites and (relative) closeness to home it's a place that I'd love to go see.

It's certainly not a trip I could make in just one day, but it would be affordable since it's not overly far from where I live.

D

Deleted member

Honestly the worst thing Canada has done is Johnny Test.
And geese
Those animals clearly didn't get the memo that they're not dinosaurs anymore but goddamn if they don't act like they still are

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If I am not mistaken, Canada is responsible for the Donkey Kong Country cartoon, making Canada either the greatest country on the planet or beyond redemption depending on your stance on that show.

Noipoi

Howdy!
And geese
Those animals clearly didn't get the memo that they're not dinosaurs anymore but goddamn if they don't act like they still are
Someone should make a game about a douchey goose.

If I am not mistaken, Canada is responsible for the Donkey Kong Country cartoon, making Canada either the greatest country on the planet or beyond redemption depending on your stance on that show.
that cartoon is the most blessed thing I’ve ever witnessed.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Talking about my country eh?

Looking at a proud Canadian here y'all! :grin:

Johnny Test is a disgrace to my country and it should be forgotten for good reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom