• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Even though it's the last franchise I want a newcomer from, I think we a TH rep is worth keeping an eye on. The lack of Spirits despite Daemon X Machina getting some makes me wonder if something's up.

And of course, if SwSh doesn't get any Spirits either, then things will REALLY look suspicious. Let's Go got Spirits, so there's really no reason why SwSh shouldn't get a few either.
I fully expect TH to be DLC until spirits disconfirms. The implications are physically there so it's not just a matter of it being promotable. It hasn't been Galeem'd yet.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think the Blizzard thing today is an unfortunate situation all around. I’m not going to defend Blizzard for what they have decided, because frankly we’re talking human rights here.

What I WILL say though, is that at a former job I had, there were certain things you can and can’t do, regardless of your own opinions. For example, when I worked at a grocery store, I couldn’t talk about another local chain because they are a direct competitor. As a teacher at a Charter School heavily sponsored by the US Navy, I couldn’t do/talk about certain things relating to politics and other hot button issues (which I kinda did anyway).

As the company or authority in question had rules, they are allowed to enforce those rules. From what I’ve seen, that’s exactly what Blizzard did here.

I might get flak for wanting Tracer in Smash, but eh...I can live with it. I am with the people of Hong Kong and their struggle for what they believe is right for their country and their future. I don’t necessarily think I completely agree with Blizzard and their removal of the player in question, but there are plenty of other companies that have similar policies, regardless of our thoughts about them.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
>Let's stop trying to be civil

Spoilering this

1.) Not being civil with each other? Nope, not having it. We all have strong opinions, but I am NOT going to jump on other people's opinions just because they think differently from me. People will disagree on various topics, and while I will at times share my thoughts with others and why I may disagree on many things... I always aim to have a foundation of love and consideration. You can be civil and care about others while also disagreeing. And I am going to keep that balance even if it kills me.

2.) There's a section for debate, "hot" topics called "debate hall." Why doesn't anyone use it? NO CLUE. There's a place for that. This thread is supposed to be a casual discussion about video games and media, but just today we have had *two* heavy debates... one about religion, one about politics. And before you object: I DO think discussing these kind of things is good. But there is a time, and a place, for everything. And for the love of God, this is not the time nor the place.

Did you see how Ellen is trending and people are throwing vitrol at her simply for being close friends with George W Bush? She holds the same opinion as me; "disagreeing with someone doesn't mean you hate them, and we should act kind and proper in all that we do." And even with the different opinions she has with conservatives, she always aims to have this foundation of being kind and civil... and I love and respect that view, and her for saying that. I say this as a mild conservative who always aims to be objective and unbiased.

And I have been stewing about this topic for months. And I'm finally letting it all out.

So overall, no... I don't agree with your opinion. At all. And to be honest, I expect you to dislike what I'm saying fully but I don't give a crap anymore. Hate me all you want. I. am. ready.

It's a tough topic to understand; I don't blame you. Was one of the questions I had to wrestle through while growing up. Of course, I ended up with a different opinion. But that's alright, I getcha.
I don’t hate you. I see your point. I realized what I was saying as I was saying it and should have stopped.

I just get frustrated when people drop topics like this entirely on the grounds of being “civil”. It stops conversations from being had and stops change from happening. But as you point out. There is a time and a place for stuff like this and this thread isn’t it.

also, just for the record, I see this thread as friends talking to each other. Sometimes the conversation gets weird. Sometimes it gets heated. Sometimes we disagree. But that’s just what happens when human beings talk to each other.

D

Deleted member

I don’t hate you. I see your point. I realized what I was saying as I was saying it and should have stopped.

I just get frustrated when people drop topics like this entirely on the grounds of being “civil”. It stops conversations from being had and stops change from happening. But as you point out. There is a time and a place for stuff like this and this thread isn’t it.

also, just for the record, I see this thread as friends talking to each other. Sometimes the conversation gets weird. Sometimes it gets heated. Sometimes we disagree. But that’s just what happens when human beings talk to each other.
And most groups of friends end up seeing religion (and politics) as a hot mess to not stir. I get where you're coming from, but this ain't the place for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

I appreciate that.

But the thing is that there is a time and a place for everything, and with all due respect you don't seem to understand this at all.

Again, time and place for everything. And yes, I will speak on politics and religion occasionally... but *only* occasionally because this is not really the appropriate place.

And to be honest, I used to speak more about it. But political drama happened to me a few years ago, and I got vitrol thrown at me over very minor things. Basically former friends disowning me just for disagreeing with them, no matter how polite I was.

I'm gonna be honest... political talks I see in here have left me jaded. PTSD effect.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why is everyone mad at blizzard again? I haven't been keeping up.
I'll keep it quick, they banned a pro Hearthstone player and took back his prize money because he spoke out in solidarity for the Hong Kong protesters. They also fired the two casters who conducted the interview and I believe deleted the VOD from their Twitch channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I fully expect TH to be DLC until spirits disconfirms. The implications are physically there so it's not just a matter of it being promotable. It hasn't been Galeem'd yet.
And even if characters were/are spirits WoL contradicts itself so many times I wouldn't be surprised to see Spirits being upgraded as you pointed out there was a contradiction with Kirby and him being the only one not to get caught by Galeem yet you fight him in WoL/for some spirit battles plus there's always stuff like this:
where characters who are spirits regain their original forms as how else could you explain stuff like that?

I dunno I wouldn't say that Spirits are off the table going forward unless like the first three characters aren't spirits or something though I wouldn't expect many upgrades.

Also yeah TH lacking spirits at all is really suspicious as that game was a massive release for Nintendo and yet nothing even a few months after it's release date either something is going on and they are characters or have some representation beyond just spirits or they're just waiting to release them with the Three Houses DLC or something.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
When it comes to “Spirit upgrades”, and I’ll go into this in my upcoming piece, but I don’t really get the idea that “spirits are on the playable jump table” when it should be, based on evidence thus far, that they’re off the table until it happens.

There’s precedent to suggest it’s not gonna happen. Until that precedent is broken, it’s likely better to assume it isn’t going to happen in order to avoid disappointment.

It’s not that it can’t, just that there’s no reason to assume it’s suddenly likely.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This thread is certainly not the appropriate place for discussions about things of such controversial nature. As many users have indicated, we have a dedicated forum for such things. I see that the conversation is not particularly heated right now which I'm happy to see, let us please keep it that way by dropping whatever lingering aspects there may be of the subject entirely and discussing something else.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Pretty much Blizzard banned a person(and pulled all of his Prize Money he won) for supporting Hong Kong
It's a bit more nuanced than that, but that's the gist.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/deyhun

I'll keep it quick, they banned a pro Hearthstone player and took back his prize money because they spoke out in solidarity for the Hong Kong protesters. They also fired the two casters who conducted the interview and I believe deleted the VOD from their Twitch channel.
Damn. That's pretty messed up. Free our boy I guess. Sucks especially about the prize money.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
When it comes to “Spirit upgrades”, and I’ll go into this in my upcoming piece, but I don’t really get the idea that “spirits are on the playable jump table” when it should be, based on evidence thus far, that they’re off the table until it happens.

There’s precedent to suggest it’s not gonna happen. Until that precedent is broken, it’s likely better to assume it isn’t going to happen in order to avoid disappointment.

It’s not that it can’t, just that there’s no reason to assume it’s suddenly likely.
Honestly, I just consider them deconfirmed until proven otherwise. People don’t really tend to like that mentality from my experience, though.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This thread is certainly not the appropriate place for discussions about things of such controversial nature. As many users have indicated, we have a dedicated forum for such things. I see that the conversation is not particularly heated right now which I'm happy to see, let us please keep it that way by dropping whatever lingering aspects there may be of the subject entirely and discussing something else.
Exactly.

now how bout them politics?

D

Deleted member

I don't think base-game Spirits disconfirm, especially not for the extra DLC.

Spirits added after release, however...

I'm sorry, Toy Link is dead.
Toy Link was murdered in an alleyway by a random Geno fan shouting "There's not enough room for two toy inspired characters in the roster!" over and over again but you didn't hear that from me.

Maybe I should hold back on saying that Spirits' don't disconfirm cause if they do I'll be mega disappointed but on the other hand if they do disconfirm this will be the only time I can reasonably talk about Geno without people yelling my head off about how it's never going to happen so no matter what it's a lose-lose. I don't know it's not exactly a perfect spot to be in when your character is a spirit.

We'll just have to wait and see as them disconfirming is still a very big possibility but there's also a chance that they don't disconfirm.

D

Deleted member

Exactly.

now how bout them politics?
This thread is now entirely about politics but only specifically within the Metal Gear universe
So here's why Senator Armstrong would have been the best president ever

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Toy Link was murdered in an alleyway by a random Geno fan shouting "There's not enough room for two toy inspired characters in the roster!" over and over again but you didn't hear that from me.

Maybe I should hold back on saying that Spirits' don't disconfirm cause if they do I'll be mega disappointed but on the other hand if they do disconfirm this will be the only time I can reasonably talk about Geno without people yelling my head off about how it's never going to happen so no matter what it's a lose-lose. I don't know it's not exactly a perfect spot to be in when your character is a spirit.

We'll just have to wait and see as them disconfirming is still a very big possibility but there's also a chance that they don't disconfirm.
I really don’t think they do. It would be so easy to change a spirits name.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Again, nothing has indicated that Spirits don’t disconfirm characters. Evidence since DLC started has.

There was no Piranha Plant Spirit prior to release, but it was added when it was made into a Fighter. All other fighters were brand new to the series, and therefore did not overlap with any current Spirits.

Piranha Plant, which did not have a Spirit in base game, only got one when it became a fighter. Essentially, this would imply that the Spirits in the game were made as Spirits because they weren’t fighters. While it’s a nice idea for fans of those characters, there’s simply nothing to indicate that an “upgrade” would happen aside from “it would address fan demand!” Which...could be applied to any character basically not in Smash.

Effectivey, anything concerning Spirits has suggested the opposite. While I myself would love to see a pick like Rex, I firmly see Spirits and what not as indicators that they’re part of the crossover, just not playable. I believe this is touched on in a recent Source Gaming translation, in which Sakurai refers to the Spirits in terms of the “crossover” element of the game.

Again, just temper your expectations until we have an actual reason to assume Spirits don’t disconfirm.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Again, nothing has indicated that Spirits don’t disconfirm characters. Evidence since DLC started has.

There was no Piranha Plant Spirit prior to release, but it was added when it was made into a Fighter. All other fighters were brand new to the series, and therefore did not overlap with any current Spirits.

Piranha Plant, which did not have a Spirit in base game, only got one when it became a fighter. Essentially, this would imply that the Spirits in the game were made as Spirits because they weren’t fighters. While it’s a nice idea for fans of those characters, there’s simply nothing to indicate that an “upgrade” would happen aside from “it would address fan demand!” Which...could be applied to any character basically not in Smash.

Effectivey, anything concerning Spirits has suggested the opposite. While I myself would love to see a pick like Rex, I firmly see Spirits and what not as indicators that they’re part of the crossover, just not playable. I believe this is touched on in a recent Source Gaming translation, in which Sakurai refers to the Spirits in terms of the “crossover” element of the game.

Again, just temper your expectations until we have an actual reason to assume Spirits don’t disconfirm.
Wasn’t Plant planned for base game though? I thought it was made dlc because they simply didn’t have enough time.

If so, that’d explain why it didn’t have a spirit in base game.

D

Deleted member

Wasn’t Plant planned for base game though? I thought it was made dlc because they simply didn’t have enough time.

If so, that’d explain why it didn’t have a spirit in base game.
Even if he wasn’t planned for the base game, I’m sure they knew they wanted him as DLC before the final game was finished.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

This sums up my thoughts on it pretty well. Spirits seem to be a way for video game characters to join the fight without being directly playable, and I think I recall Sakurai mentioning that during the Smash direct, but I could be wrong. Honestly though, having them as spirits is good enough for me. You can make some pretty cool spirit teams.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
This thread is now entirely about politics but only specifically within the Metal Gear universe
So here's why Senator Armstrong would have been the best president ever
What a subversion of a trope. You expect the evil politician to be gutless and leave the dirty work to others, but not this guy. Nothing sells your agenda more than showing you can beat a ****ing cyborg ninja to a pulp :yoshi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom