• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
You're the one who called me stupid for preferring how the Pokemon games have been for the first 15 years of its life cycle, mate.
Wasn't trying to taunt you, I was just weirded out on what you were complaining about for deciding to decline on SW/SH.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Grinding is just part of rpgs, if you want to offer a skip button, feel free, but don't force it on people who don't want it.
Grinding doesn't need to be a part of RPGs. You can just actually properly balance and level everything so there's no need to do additional grinding. Hell, grinding tends to be the biggest problems with RPGs since you have to stop every couple of hours to go kill things in a field and do fetch-quest sidequests to get some extra levels, which kills all of the momentum of your playthrough and story progression, as well as needlessly inflating the game's length further.

Shroob

Sup?
All I'm gonna say is that I don't understand how EXP Share is a bad thing. Yeah, it would've been nice if they gave us an option, but all they're essentially doing is forcing players to do something that orginally would've taken six hours in one hour instead.

Grinding for hours and hours just to get my ideal team at the level I want isn't my idea of fun or difficult. It's tedious, and I think there's plenty of better ways to make a Pokemon game more difficult aside from "walk around in circles for three more hours so your Charizard and Raichu can get to level 40".
And you're allowed to have those feelings.

Just like how in Sm64 I could collect 70 stars to fight Bowser, or I could just blj up the stairs.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
All I'm gonna say is that I don't understand how EXP Share is a bad thing. Yeah, it would've been nice if they gave us an option, but all they're essentially doing is forcing players to do something that orginally would've taken six hours in one hour instead.

Grinding for hours and hours just to get my ideal team at the level I want isn't my idea of fun or difficult. It's tedious, and I think there's plenty of better ways to make a Pokemon game more difficult aside from "walk around in circles for three more hours so your Charizard and Raichu can get to level 40".
How many times does it have to be iterated that you don't have to grind to complete the story? I've been playing these games for 21 years and I almost never, ever grind. I battle every trainer and I have enough EXP to beat the game.

D

Deleted member

Grinding doesn't need to be a part of RPGs. You can just actually properly balance and level everything so there's no need to do additional grinding. Hell, grinding tends to be the biggest problems with RPGs since you have to stop every couple of hours to go kill things in a field and do fetch-quest sidequests to get some extra levels, which kills all of the momentum of your playthrough and story progression, as well as needlessly inflating the game's length further.
Pretty much. I love DQ 8 3ds but without metal slime grinding, it would easily drag to ungodly levels.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Again, the issue isn't the EXP share, it's that Game Freak has shown that they aren't good at balancing the difficulty around it. The games are still seemingly balanced around the liability of EXP being limited, so when you remove thar limitation, you break the game. It's like removing MP costs in other RPGs, nothing would stop you from spamming your best spells and that one little change just made everything easier

D

Deleted member

I don't see what the big deal is in keeping the option to turn off shared EXP. The people who don't care to grind for levels aren't affected, and the people who've always played with it off can still enjoy the game how they want.
Seems like a win-win to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I wish I could ask Noipoi a commission for my 1 year anniversary at Smashboards.

But I sadly don't have the stuff required to give him money...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For real, I'll ask again. Outside of the Johto games and post-game Black and White, when has grinding ever been necessary in Pokémon?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
How many times does it have to be iterated that you don't have to grind to complete the story? I've been playing these games for 21 years and I almost never, ever grind. I battle every trainer and I have enough EXP to beat the game.
Then I really don't understand why you're upset. If you rarely grinded even when EXP Share didn't exist, then what are you losing? A slightly more difficult Pokemon game that's hardly noticeable?

D

Deleted member

For real, I'll ask again. Outside of the Johto games and post-game Black and White, when has grinding ever been necessary in Pokémon?
Only in gen 7 if you want to use bottle caps, as those can only be used by level 100 Pokemon. Also arguably gen 1, as GF didn't really figure out how to properly balance wild Pokemon levels yet.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The worst thing is that we'll have to go through these debates all over again once the game comes out.

D

Deleted member

I understand Pokemon should be easily accessible to kids, but at the same time, it should have challenge for the veterans. The way I see it, there should be challenge for all types of players. Perhaps adding a hard mode could fix this? I’m not gonna riot or anything, just a thought.

StormC

Smash Hero
Even Johto I don't think it's a big deal. I tend to enter the Elite Four around levels 38-40 and I have no problem beating them.

In Black/White it's also mitigated a bit by the Lucky Egg and Audino farming. But yeah.

Then I really don't understand why you're upset. If you rarely grinded even when EXP Share didn't exist, then what are you losing? A slightly more difficult Pokemon game that's hardly noticeable?
Because I like playing underleveled. It requires a little more strategy and planning than just steamrolling everything. My first Y playthrough I had EXP Share on the whole game and by gym 4/5 I was 10-15 levels above the enemy and it stopped being fun to one-shot everything. It's not "hardly noticeable."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys I need you all to stop what you're doing and realize that Dark Vince is going to come back next episode of CPU CS!

Someone's gonna die.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
I think my closing statement is:

There are people who love grinding

There are people who dont

Both can be satisfied with minimal effort.

D

Deleted member

Because it's them taking away even more options yet again, for no good reason.

And it's a big slap in the face because we got Let's Go last year which was intended for newcomers while promising a proper mainline game for the veterans for this year. Yet they keep dumbing stuff down and taking options away despite making a more casual oriented game last year.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Because I like playing underleveled. It requires a little more strategy and challenge than just steamrolling everything. My first Y playthrough I had EXP Share on the whole game and by gym 4/5 I was 10-15 levels above the enemy and it stopped being fun to one-shot everything. It's not "hardly noticeable."
Who said you still couldn't be underleveled. The entire basis for your feelings and most of the other users here is, "The last two games were really easy, so this one will be worse."

You're free to have doubt, but I don't think the complaints are valid when you haven't even played the game to see for yourself

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think you're really missing the point here.

The main thing is that people want more difficulty options because the main games' campaigns are braindead-level simple. By eliminating the option to turn off EXP Share, they're actively forcing people to make the games easier on themselves.

There is literally no excuse for Pokémon to not have a hard mode available from the start.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I understand Pokemon should be easily accessible to kids, but at the same time, it should have challenge for the veterans. The way I see it, there should be challenge for all types of players. Perhaps adding a hard mode could fix this? I’m not gonna riot or anything, just a thought.
They tried that but it didn't work for 3 reasons. 1: It needs to be unlocked by beating the main story
2: It's version exclusive so if you want a challenge but picked White 2 you'll only unlock easy mode
3: BW2 had EXP scale to your levels which made easy mode drag as everything would be weaker making you get less EXP whereas hard mode would boost it up so while the AI is smarter and can have better moves, you'll still be catching up on levels easier

StormC

Smash Hero
Who said you still couldn't be underleveled. The entire basis for your feelings and most of the other users here is, "The last two games were really easy, so this one will be worse."

You're free to have doubt, but I don't think the complaints are valid when you haven't even played the game yet to see for yourself
Even if they balance the gameplay around it (which I highly doubt), it takes away one of my favorite things about Pokemon. I like focusing EXP on certain Pokemon. It's satisfying when your Pokemon that's 3-5 levels below the rest of your team defeats a difficult opponent and gets a ton of EXP.

This still misses that they can have both. Taking away this option is unacceptable. You can pay for my $60 Pokemon game if you disagree.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

You're free to have doubt, but I don't think the complaints are valid when you haven't even played the game to see for yourself
To be underleveled in the games from XY onward you need to avoid as many wild battles you can, catch a minimal amount of Pokemon and avoid as many trainer battles as possible and while that WOULD be more challenging, the challenge there would be avoiding it instead of your skill at the game. Honestly, would it have hurt the game so badly to let people turn it off when it's already on by default as soon as you get it?

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Just add a toggle. It's easy, and then everyone would be satisfied. Honestly, the fact that it will always be on isn't too much of a big deal to me, but it would be nice to have the option.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Welp

Because of my incredibly strange upbringing, I have an insurmountable fear of not belonging. I have a compulsive need to agree with the crowd. Of course I have some semblance of original thought, obviously, but still. It’s my greatest weakness. It’s why I get so panicked if I feel like I’ve upset someone, I feel like everyone’s going to single me out and abandon me or something. Every time is say I don’t care what people think about me it’s a huge damn lie. And I know this is incredibly, ridiculously silly. But being what feels like the only guy who’s okay with gen 8 while everyone else is vastly more upset is pressing all my buttons.

Pokémon is my absolute favorite game series. For most people it’s just another game to play, not me. It’s got me through the hardest times, every release is the highlight of my year. It just means so much to me, you wouldn’t even begin to understand if I explained it in detail. And I’m not saying it shouldn’t be criticized, but I don’t share those criticisms. And not agreeing with people is starting to bother me.

Like I said, this is super duper stupid. But I can’t help it, all I can think of is how I don’t share the same opinions as everyone else. How different that makes me, how much I stand out, how “not” part of the crowd I am.

I’m not asking anyone to stop arguing about Pokémon. That’d be selfish, talk about it all you want. But I can’t be here for it.

Intentionally or not I’ve used this website as a crutch. Here I’m the cool guy, everyone likes the Noipoi! For the first time in my life everyone agrees with me!! It’s an overwhelming feeling for someone like me. And disagreeing on something so important to me is messing me up. It’s not very healthy to emotionally rely on a message board or a video game. I need to try and get that in order.

I need to make efforts to get a life, instead of just sitting on my *** and soaking up your validation until the end of time.

I probably need a lot of therapy.
noipoi I'll make you feel invalid for payment just hit me up

if I always disagree with you it will eventually build up an immunity to dissenting opinions

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I thought Pearl was fairly difficult.

Then again I ended up being underleveled by the end and it was also my first ever Pokemon game, so what do I know?

D

Deleted member

To bring the whole grinding issue into perspective:
Gen 1: Aw yeah, a Rare Candy!
Gen 7: Aw no, useless candy...

EXP is so easy to gain, it made Rare Candies useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom