• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
D

Deleted member

There's not a single copy of DQ11 S on your island available for purchase? That's hilarious. Nice to hear the series is doing well outside of Japan.
Seems to be the case at last.

I did great on picking the game at launch since everywhere I go I can't find any copy to buy.

D

Deleted member

So the next online tourney event will let you use your spirit teams.

Who’s ready for disaster?:4pacman:

D

Deleted member

Told ya Smash would be a fantastic marketing stunt. And some people said it didn't make sense to announce a DQ character later than the upcoming game announcement
But Hero's still a shill so that means it was a bad decision and I'll never play Smash again.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In most RPGs, the player determines the difficulty of the game by deciding how much time they're willing to invest into grinding. If you already planned on spending 50+ hours grinding so your Pokemon have a decent level, then you're not really playing a difficult game. Grinding itself is not hard.

In my eyes, the best way to judge the difficulty of an RPG is to battle an enemy of the same level. If you struggle to beat the enemy, then that's a good indicator that the game is difficult. How many hours it took you to match that level shouldn't matter.

StormC

Smash Hero
My baby Platinum is there too and I'm just crying cause I want that goddamn postgame back. Thank god they outsold USUM though
I think that chart is out of date so USUM has outsold them LOL.

HGSS/Platinum/BW2 are basically my holy trinity, there is an argument for any of them being the best. The series was so damn good on the DS...

Can't wait to see what goes wrong with the DP remakes next year.

Shroob

Sup?
In most RPGs, the player determines the difficulty of the game by deciding how much time they're willing to invest into grinding. If you already planned on spending 50+ hours grinding so your Pokemon have a decent level, then you're not really playing a difficult game. Grinding itself is not hard.

In my eyes, the best way to judge the difficulty of an RPG is to battle an enemy of the same level. If you struggle to beat the enemy, then that's a good indicator that the game is difficult. How many hours it took you to match that level shouldn't matter.
I mean, I played Moon with exp share off, switching prompt off and items not allowed and it was still easy.

You're grossly overestimating how hard Pokemon games are.

Back in our day, Whitney's Milktank was the scariest thing around, now it's a pushover.

StormC

Smash Hero
Noipoi Noipoi I don't think anyone here thinks less of you for enjoying the modern games. Everyone has different tastes. The frustration in this particular case comes from having a harmless option taken away from them. You can please everybody but they are actively choosing not to.

That said, it's not healthy to tie your identity so much to a multibillion dollar entertainment brand, but I'm guessing you know that. Don't rely on Smashboards for validation because we're just a bunch of weirdos behind keyboards at the end of the day. Try to find other things that are also fulfilling and encourage healthy mindsets.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only Pokémon game I'd call "hard" is G/S/C/HG/SS and that's only because of the absolutely baffling level "curve" that becomes a wall around Blackthorn.

But that's more of a game design issue than actual difficulty, imo.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Orre Colosseum in _okemon XD was legit ****ing hard but I don't think we're counting s_inoffs

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But Hero's still a shill so that means it was a bad decision and I'll never play Smash again.
Does he still count as a shill pick if nobody uses the Luminary?
**** with how many Eights I see online he might as well be shilling for DQVIII

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I'm a huge box of anxiety; which is why I'm rarely on here. I feel like I'm annoying everybody every time here.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Noipoi Noipoi I don't think anyone here thinks less of you for enjoying the modern games. Everyone has different tastes. The frustration in this particular case comes from having a harmless option taken away from them. You can please everybody but they are actively choosing not to.

That said, it's not healthy to tie your identity so much to a multibillion dollar entertainment brand, but I'm guessing you know that. Don't rely on Smashboards for validation because we're just a bunch of weirdos behind keyboards at the end of the day. Try to find other things that are also fulfilling and encourage healthy mindsets.
Nah man, I totally get that.

As a kid Pokémon was like, my thing. It made me feel connected to the rest of the world from my strange little isolated bubble, so I latched into it. Hard. The same applies for Smashboards.

But I know that’s not healthy, and I wanna do something about it.

D

Deleted member

One thing people say about Pokemon dumbing things down that I disagree with is the fact that SM showed type effectiveness. SMT does that **** too yet nobody is gonna call those easy
What Pokemon needs is instakill attacks, enemies striking before you can do anything, and a game over system for when your main character dies before the party members.

StormC

Smash Hero
Sakurai got you.
[laughs]

One thing people say about Pokemon dumbing things down that I disagree with is the fact that SM showed type effectiveness. SMT does that **** too yet nobody is gonna call those easy
It's nice because there are definitely moments where I'm on autopilot and I pick the wrong move and I'm just "**** GO BACK."

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think that chart is out of date so USUM has outsold them LOL.

HGSS/Platinum/BW2 are basically my holy trinity, there is an argument for any of them being the best. The series was so damn good on the DS...

Can't wait to see what goes wrong with the DP remakes next year.
Yep, the last recorded sales for USUM were from this June, which put it at 8.47M. That's far ahead of Platinum and just 0.05 behind B2W2, it's probably surpassing the latter by the end of the year.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Funny you say that as I saw a toy store suddenly fill up their shelves with DQ8 3DS copies. If it wasn't for the facts it's a 3ds game, 40 bucks for something I may or may not like and the fact my dpad's busted I'd have considered it. Then again I heard rumours of a Switch version being in the works with the advantages of the ps2 version

D

Deleted member

I'm an Eight main, but for some reason, there's this weird purple dude I gotta scroll past before I can select him.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I wish we got Soul Calibur 2 on Switch with OoT Link in the roster and all.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, I played Moon with exp share off, switching prompt off and items not allowed and it was still easy.

You're grossly overestimating how hard Pokemon games are.

Back in our day, Whitney's Milktank was the scariest thing around, now it's a pushover.
And now that EXP Share is permanently on, maybe that'll have an impact on the difficulty of the game.

I don't think anyone needs to assume SwSh will be the easiest game in the series just because of one bit of information, unless you're someone who's content with already assuming the worst.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
The news that Sword/Shield has automatic EXP Share and they reconfirmed in the 101 facts that you can't turn it off pretty much confirms I'm not buying it. I'll wait for general impressions and see how they handle it but if previous GameFreak games are anything to go by, they're doing this to make it easier, not more balanced. Pretty disappointed that a series I've played for 21 years is no longer letting me play how I want.
Um, yeah. Using a permentant EXP Share as an excuse to call out a negative & not buy the game because of it is some very dumbfounded (and honestly, a little stupid) reasoning to me. Like, why would you want to turn off a mechanic like this? Grinding XP for each individual Pokemon in a team would just be a very long & tedious process that'll possibly take up hundreds of hours.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
And now that EXP Share is permanently on, maybe that'll have an impact on the difficulty of the game.

I don't think anyone needs to assume SwSh will be the easiest game in the series just because of one bit of information, unless you're someone who's content with already assuming the worst.
Xy were not built with the exp share in mind and it shows, glaringly.

Sun and moon were and they were a far cry from difficult.

Ya imma be super skeptical.

StormC

Smash Hero
Um, yeah. Using a permentant EXP Share as an excuse to call out a negative & not buy the game because of it is some very dumbfounded (and honestly, a little stupid) reasoning to me. Like, why would you want to turn off a mechanic like this? Grinding XP for each individual Pokemon in a team would just be a very long & tedious process possibly taking up hundreds of hours.
Because the games are already easy and almost no grinding is needed to beat the story mode anyway.

Looking at your profile, you're probably too young to remember that every game before XY was like this, lol.

Shroob

Sup?
Um, yeah. Using a permentant EXP Share as an excuse to call out a negative & not buy the game because of it is some very dumbfounded (and honestly, a little stupid) reasoning to me. Like, why would you want to turn off a mechanic like this? Grinding XP for each individual Pokemon in a team would just be a very long & tedious process possibly taking up hundreds of hours.
That's how it's always been until now really.

By that logic, we should dumb down breeding too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I mean, I never had to grind yet I overleveled everything in SM's main game including Totem Wishiwashi Lurantis who were considered to be surprisingly difficult when I went in the game without knowing what order trials were. Pokemon is NOT a challenging game at all

D

Deleted member

Until Pokemon introduces a super hard mode where everything is five times harder, I stand by Pokemon never being intended to be super challenging games. It's why nuzlockes exist in the first place.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Because the games are already easy and almost no grinding is needed to beat the story mode anyway.

Looking at your profile, you're probably too young to remember that every game before XY was like this, lol.
Okay dude, no need to be a **** about it. I started out with Omega Ruby just so you know, so of course I'm wasn't exactly familiar with that before.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have somthing important to say about the online tourney spirit event.

If you go against a hero during the event and he is apparently using the shantae spirit...
its not gonna end well
5A230D3C-3D26-4E2E-BB64-69FE770A761D.jpeg

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's how it's always been until now really.

By that logic, we should dumb down breeding too.
Tbf I think competitive fans wouldn't mind breeding getting dumbed down as breeding for 6IV **** is tedious. They REALLY ****ed up with the bottlecaps for that though and apparantly you can change natures now?

Also about Pokemon games being easy, I think the change that makes catching Pokemon give EXP really kicked out any potential difficulty as who WOULDN'T want to catch what they didn't know as a first timer? You'd get overlevelled in no time wanting to learn about the Pokemon by catching them

StormC

Smash Hero
Okay dude, no need to be a **** about it. I started out with Omega Ruby just so you know, so of course I'm familiar with that.
You're the one who called me stupid for preferring how the Pokemon games have been for the first 15 years of its life cycle, mate.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You're the one who called me stupid for preferring how the Pokemon games have been for the first 15 years of its life cycle, mate.

Also, OmegaRuby has automatic EXP Share on by default, so I don't know what you mean. Every game since XY has done this.
Tbf their point about grinding all 6 Pokemon in your team being tedious isn't wrong, the issue is that the games are seemingly still balanced around this despite the EXP share buff

D

Deleted member

Call me pessimistic all you want, but I see no reason why Game Freak deserves any trust at this point. For me personally, they lost a lot of goodwill during the 3DS era and them now flat out lieing about not reusing models and hiding "Dexit" in a post-Direct Treehouse stream only made it worse.

And just to be clear, I've been critical of GF even before the SwSh debacle.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All I'm gonna say is that I don't understand how EXP Share is a bad thing. Yeah, it would've been nice if they gave us an option, but all they're essentially doing is forcing players to do something that orginally would've taken six hours in one hour instead.

Grinding for hours and hours just to get my ideal team at the level I want isn't my idea of fun or difficult. It's tedious, and I think there's plenty of better ways to make a Pokemon game more difficult aside from "walk around in circles for three more hours so your Charizard and Raichu can get to level 40".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom