• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I mean.... That wouldn’t be a Star Fox game. And the people who want s new good Star Fox wouldn’t get their new good Star Fox.
I'm really just kinda spitballing ideas, and me saying that Star Fox was sort of a proto roguelike earlier spurred this one on and it's something I would be genuinely interested to see Nintendo try.
Really there's a lot they could do with the Star Fox franchise, it's been rehashing the original and 64 for so long that any change would be welcome. Make it a roguelike, make it open world, try and make another action-adventure or RTS game, **** even just make another on-rails shoot 'em up that isn't trying to copy the old ones, just try and break away from the current formula.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If the game is good then it is good, genre be damned.

People want the change for it. The model it is known for is a thing of it's time. It is just preserving the characters and other mechanics into a newer perspective.

As long as I get to shoot things in an Arwing I do not see the problem. That is the main draw, and expanding it only improves it.
This is the kind of thinking that lead to the extinction of the 3D platformer until very recently. No genre deserves to go away completely, because it’s near and dear to many people. You should just advance your genre further. Not abandon it.

D

Deleted member

The more I talk about spirit having a second chance, am I slowly hurting myself as in hope? setting myself up for disappointment so the others who say they deconfirm hard can btfo me for being wrong because I wasent thinking realistically?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm really just kinda spitballing ideas, and me saying that Star Fox was sort of a proto roguelike earlier spurred this one on and it's something I would be genuinely interested to see Nintendo try.
Really there's a lot they could do with the Star Fox franchise, it's been rehashing the original and 64 for so long that any change would be welcome. Make it a roguelike, make it open world, try and make another action-adventure or RTS game, just try and break away from the current formula.
Having a different story is fine. But Star Fox is on rails spaceship shooting and it should stay that way.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
This is the kind of thinking that lead to the extinction of the 3D platformer until very recently. No genre deserves to go away completely, because it’s near and dear to many people. You should just advance your genre further. Not abandon it.
3D platformers never went anywhere.

D

Deleted member

I thought rogue likes were always randomly generated.
That's why I added that it lacks what makes modern roguelikes infinitely replayable. I get that it's an on-rails shooter but many of it's elements can draw comparisons.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
3D platformers never went anywhere.
That’s just vehemently false. There was a long period from late gen PS3 all the way to like, 2 years ago where they were completely gone outside of Mario. And we still haven’t completely recovered. The genre is still basically dead. Nobody’s making them. They’re making shooters and RPGs and sandbox games.

Shroob

Sup?
That’s just vehemently false. There was a long period from late gen PS3 all the way to like, 2 years ago where they were completely gone outside of Mario. And we still haven’t completely recovered. The genre is still basically dead. Nobody’s making them. They’re making shooters and RPGs and sandbox games.
That's only if you're talking about actual non-indies because...

Hat in Time
Yooka-Laylee
Super Lucky's Tail

etc

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ubisoft's Starlink team just needs to make the next Star Fox. Starlink was ****ing fantastic. Give it a open-galaxy take on it where there's multiple missions on multiple planets that you can partake in at any time. Throw in Adventure's and Assault's ground gameplay for exploration and, like, I'd be set for at least a year on games.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
That's why I added that it lacks what makes modern roguelikes infinitely replayable. I get that it's an on-rails shooter but many of it's elements can draw comparisons.
I mean, by that reasoning almost any arcade style game could be a precursor to rogue likes, they're playable in one sitting by design and alternate routes were the only way to get kids to come back after beating the game.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Here’s what I have so far for my Duplighost partner:

-Karade for potential name

-Their Field Abilities include pulling Peach into the shadows and move around to bypass obstacles and hazards and while in the shadows, they can copy a NPC or enemy’s appearance when close.

-One of their in-battle moves pulls Peach into the shadows to avoid massive attacks

-Potential story is they’re a stage performer who’s currently an understudy for pretty much every one else but has no hope of getting a better spot as while their disguises are flawless, it falls apart on voices and mannerisms, and decides to help Peach on her journey to disguise her when needed and help get better at their disguises.

-I’m thinking the Duplighost could also be sought out by the villain group that worships the main Mario timeline and wants to make the PM timeline like it, using their powers to change others appearances into mainline designs.

Feel free to throw out any more ideas if you want.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The more I talk about spirit having a second chance, am I slowly hurting myself as in hope? setting myself up for disappointment so the others who say they deconfirm hard can btfo me for being wrong because I wasent thinking realistically?
I guess? My line of thinking is "Don't expect exciting stuff in Smash" cause you can't get too disappointed then

D

Deleted member

A handful of indie titles is not suitable replacement for major support from big companies. As good as those games are.
But the point is that the genre isn't dead. Celeste, Shovel Knight, Ori, Hat in Time and debatably Yooka-Laylee have all seen success, and just because they came from indie studios doesn't lessen that. Besides, the recent success of Crash and Spyro may indicate the genre may see a return on the mainstream side as well.
This is all excluding Nintendo but your dislike of them is well documented so we won't count them.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
But the point is that the genre isn't dead. Celeste, Shovel Knight, Ori and Hat in Time have all seen success, and just because they came from indie studios doesn't lessen that. Besides, the recent success of Crash and Spyro may indicate the franchise may see a return on the mainstream side as well.
This is all excluding Nintendo but your dislike of them is well documented so we won't count them.
I’m glad those games exist. And i’m glaf those games are good. But it’s not the same as when a new one from multiple different franchises came every year.
3D platformers mostly died off because people were getting sick of them as EVERYONE was making them, similar to every other trend in video games like gritty brown FPS games
So how much longer till Soulslike open world games kick the bucket?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I’m glad those games exist. And i’m glaf those games are good. But it’s not the same as when a new one from multiple different franchises came every year.

So how much longer till Soulslike open world games kick the bucket?
Those aren't really mainstream as the only successful examples out there are from the same company as people don't seem to understand what makes those games what they are

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wait, I'm supposed to have a spooky avatar for October?! I just got used to my Journey one :cry:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Those aren't really mainstream as the only successful examples out there are from the same company as people don't seem to understand what makes those games what they are
So... what genre is over saturated now? Like, it’s all “create your own character, slowish combat, open world, skill tree” stuff. What do you call that?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So... what genre is over saturated now? Like, it’s all “create your own character, slowish combat, open world, skill tree” stuff. What do you call that?
You mean action/adventure genre? I'm not sure if I'd call that over-saturated.

Now that you mention it, there's a big boost for customization in video games but that's not a bad thing.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A handful of indie titles is not suitable replacement for major support from big companies. As good as those games are.
They had Ratchet and Clank titles alongside the Mario ones. And Sly 4, although that didn't have the best reception.

But the point is that the genre isn't dead. Celeste, Shovel Knight, Ori, Hat in Time and debatably Yooka-Laylee have all seen success, and just because they came from indie studios doesn't lessen that. Besides, the recent success of Crash and Spyro may indicate the genre may see a return on the mainstream side as well.
If we're counting 2D titles as well, last gen had Mega Man 9 and 10, MMZX and MMZXA, Bionic Commando Re-Armed and the Sonic titles were split between 2D and 3D. And Rayman Origins.

Azure Striker Gunvolt's found some success with 2 main games and like 3 spin-offs. On top of recent revivals like MM11, Strider 2014 and so on.

But in terms of 3D platformers, not too many. Most modern platformers have been re-fining the 2D style. I'm more than fine with that as I like the games, but I wouldn't mind more 3D ones either. (For example, I'd be down for Mega Man experimenting with 3D platforming again, even if Capcom felt the need to make another new protagonist for it.)

D

Deleted member

But in terms of 3D platformers, not too many. Most modern platformers have been re-fining the 2D style. I'm more than fine with that as I like the games, but I wouldn't mind more 3D ones either. (For example, I'd be down for Mega Man experimenting with 3D platforming again, even if Capcom felt the need to make another new protagonist for it.)
Yeah I wasn't super clear on the "3D Platforming" specific, my brain is kinda scrambled today. The genre has seen somewhat of a resurgence though with Hat in Time and the Crash, Spyro and Ratchet remakes, Yooka-Laylee's kickstarter success proved that demand for the genre still exists, and Odyssey was nominated for GotY in 2017 and is the second best-selling game on the Switch, trailing behind Mario Kart 8 and just above Ultimate in numbers
I'm taking a vote for worst meme of 2019.

If your vote isn't Stinky then it doesn't count.

/s
Hoes mad
Unironically

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
****ing uhhhhhhh zombie games? Those were EVERYWHERE but people only got excited for those because of Resident Evil 2 and TLOU2. Speaking of, I've seen a lot of pushback against 'sad dad' games, so much so to the point that the Halo trailer at E3 seemed to mock them. I feel battle royales won't exactly last and I know horror games that leave you defenceless trying to get Amnesia's cake have seemed to die off too. A lot of these really depend on hindsight

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Genres used to take big hits for sure, just look at the Fighting Game genre, but now there are so many people playing video games that nearly every single genre and franchise is sustainable so long as an audience has a draw to it. And it's especially easy to gain that audience now that, again, there's so many people playing games now.

Peopl made 3D platformers back in the day because that's what gamers were buying. The FPS took over last gen because thats what gamers were buying. Now individual groups of gamers are buying everything so it's much less likely for a genre to become stagnant or irrelevant.

If I had to make a guess though, the open world craze will be the next to go. And that sucks cause those are my jam.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
are we talking game ideas

can i shill FE Fighters again

Reading Night of the Were-Ed.

Maximum spooks acquired.
isn't that the weird ass webcomic

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
so im post timeskip on blue lions

yeah, so far claude is still by leagues the best lord out of any of the three

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I agree. By the way i might talk about my pretend sequel to Mario Odyssey with Yoshi soon.
(I would name it "Yoshi's Odyssey".)
It's not too absurd. For one thing, next year is his 30th anniversary and it's not like Nintendo developers haven't expanded on a concept that was barely touched on in a main title before (Captain Toad in 3D World for instance) :yoshi:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
It's not too absurd. For one thing, next year is his 30th anniversary and it's not like Nintendo developers haven't expanded on a concept that was barely touched on in a main title before (Captain Toad in 3D World for instance) :yoshi:
Wow i didn't know that next year is his anniversary. Thanks!
I'm a bit sad that the Yoshi's Island and Wario Land series are dead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Being 1.67m (5'6") myself, I certainly wouldn't mind being a tad smaller. Hence why I'd never wear heels. Yes, I realize I'm late on this.

When in doubt, just call anything "just like Dark Souls".

Shroob

Sup?
Man, you know, maybe I should let it go, ya know it can't be that ba---

*Get in an hour+ long fight with a redditor calling me an "Entitled gamer" for wanting the 'option' to disable the forced EXP on and that the only playerbase that should matter is the casual playerbase, not the long term fans*

Ya I'm sorry mate but people on both pro and against SWSD ****ing suck.

Forgive me for being tired of Pokemon holding my hand and Nuzlockes basically being killed off by the change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom