• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Not to mention, he’s the last one. The last of the big 4.
What is “the big 4”? Is that another one of those groupings the Smash community makes up to make believe a certain set of characters are unanimously desired character who are essential to be in Smash.

I’ve been here for years and we’ve have a lot of “Big 3’s” and “Big 4’s.” One day it would be Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man, and Little Mac. Then some would get confirmed and Mewtwo would slip in. Depending on who you asked, you could have any combination of Geno, Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, Waluigi.

It’s just a list of trends. It means nothing.
The original list of “Big 4” I remember seeing was finished with K. Rool over a year ago.

Spyro I think counts too, it wasn't on the N64 but it was of the same era.
Absolutely. Crash was bangin on the PS1 as well.

NOW BUBSY 3D! THAT’S A GENRE-DEFINING TITLE!

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
What is “the big 4”? Is that another one of those groupings the Smash community makes up to make believe a certain set of characters are unanimously desired character who are essential to be in Smash.

I’ve been here for years and we’ve have a lot of “Big 3’s” and “Big 4’s.” One day it would be Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man, and Little Mac. Then some would get confirmed and Mewtwo would slip in. Depending on who you asked, you could have any combination of Geno, Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, Waluigi.

It’s just a list of trends. It means nothing.
The original list of “Big 4” I remember seeing was finished with K. Rool over a year ago.
The primary big 4 i’ve known since I joined the community during 4’s dlc speculation has been Ridley, K. Rool, Geno, and Banjo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Big 4/Big 3 I've ALWAYS known has been Ridley, K. Rool, Geno. Those 3 always stuck around through Melee, Brawl, Wii U, and into Ultimate.

Where only one of the 3 remains not in the game.

Sure there's been people like Isaac, etc. But none of them had the fevered responses that those 3 did. The only person to ever come truly close is Waluigi and that feels a whole lot more recent.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The Big 4/Big 3 I've ALWAYS known has been Ridley, K. Rool, Geno. Those 3 always stuck around through Melee, Brawl, Wii U, and into Ultimate.

Where only one of the 3 remains not in the game.

Sure there's been people like Isaac, etc. But none of them had the fevered responses that those 3 did. The only person to ever come truly close is Waluigi and that feels a whole lot more recent.
Geno 99% was not around for Melee speculation. I mean, I wouldn’t know, given that I was an infant, but as far as I know he got going shorter before or after Brawl.

Little Mac, Mega Man, Ridley, and K. Rool were definitely the Big 4 of Smash 4 speculation. Geno only got a rise again in the last year or so because of the new emphasis on fan demand.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Geno 99% was not around for Melee speculation. I mean, I wouldn’t know, given that I was an infant, but as far as I know he got going shorter before or after Brawl.

Little Mac, Mega Man, Ridley, and K. Rool were definitely the Big 4 of Smash 4 speculation. Geno only got a rise again in the last year or so because of the new emphasis on fan demand.
I was a fetus during Melee speculation and I can safely Geno was definitely part of the Melee big 4.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm going to ask the age old question:

If it's so easy then why hasn't Sakurai done it????
Honestly, I don't think SE is the issue anymore. I feel Sakurai might be reevaluating the idea of Geno as a character on the roster, thinking that maybe a costume is the best he's currently willing to do.

I mean, Super Mario is the flagship franchise of Nintendo, and let's face it, Geno would be lying dead in a ditch if Smash speculation didn't barely keep him alive. He's one teeny tiny cog in a great big machine, and he can't really stand up against most modern characters, including generic enemies like PP.

On top of that, you're not adding any new franchises to Smash by going with Geno (unless you think SMRPG is a separate "franchise" from Super Mario), so his addition wouldn't bring much new content aside from a single spinoff title.

Lastly, there's his moveset, which isn't as abundant as his supporters make it out to be. He's got finger guns (which function exactly like any other gun would) and five special attacks, two of which would be incredibly difficult to implement as anything aside from a Final Smash, and another which essentially just boosts his attack power. The other two involve him blasting a beam of light and throwing a small disk.

Really, popularity is the only thing that I can think of that's blatantly in his favor. He's not iconic, he doesn't offer a lot of new content or add much to Smash if he were to be included, and his moveset is so-so at best.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Geno's fans took a major hit in confidence for Smash 4 because of the lack of him in Brawl. He was certainly around because they thought with the intro of Snake and Sonic. It meant third party characters meant him. I first started lurking and posting around the Brawl period.

But definitely heard about him during Melee and played RPG because of it. I think he even might have started and I might be wrong, because he was on that poll for Melee that had wacky choices like James Bond and stuff.

Little Mac and Mega Man's hype was never the level of the potential for Ridley or K. Rool during Smash 4. They were wanted, but they never were this huge ''Do or die." thing like Ridley, K. Rool. and Geno.

Geno's only thing is he had a LOT of things that Ridley had thrown at him. Lots of ''Oh my god it's our time" and then...nothing.

D

Deleted member

Banjo didn't have a lot of speculation when Smash 4 was new and only got big when Phil Spencer endorsed them yet they got in. Most people thought "Oh boy they would be great but they'll never happen" before then and they got in. Geno definitely is in the same boat and from what I know his popularity does date back to Melee. Point is?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I don't think SE is the issue anymore. I feel Sakurai might be reevaluating the idea of Geno as a character on the roster, thinking that maybe a costume is the best he's currently willing to do.

I mean, Super Mario is the flagship franchise of Nintendo, and let's face it, Geno would be lying dead in a ditch if Smash speculation didn't barely keep him alive. He's one teeny tiny cog in a great big machine, and he can't really stand up against most modern characters, including generic enemies like PP.

On top of that, you're not adding any new franchises to Smash by going with Geno (unless you think SMRPG is a separate "franchise" from Super Mario), so his addition wouldn't bring much new content aside from a single spinoff title.

Lastly, there's his moveset, which isn't as abundant as his supporters make it out to be. He's got finger guns (which function exactly like any other gun would) and five special attacks, two of which would be incredibly difficult to implement as anything aside from a Final Smash, and another which essentially just boosts his attack power. The other two involve him blasting a beam of light and throwing a small disk.

Really, popularity is the only thing that I can think of that's blatantly in his favor. He's not iconic, he doesn't offer a lot of new content or add much to Smash if he were to be included, and his moveset is so-so at best.
Come on. He’s the last one. Just let us have him.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
It'd be a shame if Geno didn't end up in ultimate. He was supposed to be in smash 4 if I remember right so I wonder what the problem was.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Geno's fans took a major hit in confidence for Smash 4 because of the lack of him in Brawl. He was certainly around because they thought with the intro of Snake and Sonic. It meant third party characters meant him. I first started lurking and posting around the Brawl period.

But definitely heard about him during Melee and played RPG because of it. I think he even might have started and I might be wrong, because he was on that poll for Melee that had wacky choices like James Bond and stuff.

Little Mac and Mega Man's hype was never the level of the potential for Ridley or K. Rool during Smash 4. They were wanted, but they never were this huge ''Do or die." thing like Ridley, K. Rool. and Geno.

Geno's only thing is he had a LOT of things that Ridley had thrown at him. Lots of ''Oh my god it's our time" and then...nothing.
Mega Man was HUGE going into Smash 4. You have to remember the context of only two third party characters being in, one as a favor to a friend, and one as a poll winner, so nobody even knew if they COULD do Mega Man, in addition to his history on Nintendo hardware and people wanting to see him again after being wronged for so many years, with like three cancelled games.

The last one of an ill-defined group that’s made up by fans and means nothing.

It'd be a shame if Geno didn't end up in ultimate. He was supposed to be in smash 4 if I remember right so I wonder what the problem was.
That’s not a thing that happened. I believe Sakurai mentioned he considered him briefly for Brawl, but that’s it. He definitely wasn’t planned and scrapped for Smash 4.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
geno was considered for brawl and sakurai said he would've been neat but he wasn't ever developed in any capacity

which only puts him in a slightly less favourable position than checks list toon zelda and plusle/minun

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Mega Man was HUGE going into Smash 4. You have to remember the context of only two third party characters being in, one as a favor to a friend, and one as a poll winner, so nobody even knew if they COULD do Mega Man, in addition to his history on Nintendo hardware and people wanting to see him again after being wronged for so many years, with like three cancelled games.

The last one of an ill-defined group that’s made up by fans and means nothing.

That’s not a thing that happened. I believe Sakurai mentioned he considered him briefly for Brawl, but that’s it. He definitely wasn’t planned and scrapped for Smash 4.
Stop minimizing people who like Geno. It’s the exact same thing that was happening with banjo. People who don’t want him trying to minimize how many people actually want him to make him seem less likely. The only thing I don’t know, is why.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There is no "last one". If Geno got in, people would say, "Now all we need is Waluigi!", and if Waluigi got in, people would say, "Now all we need is Isaac!"

The cycle never ends. Most fans swore they would stop begging for characters after Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo. That lasted a whole seven minutes.

Sakurai said he tried adding him in Brawl, but it didn't work out. Geno was never planned for Smash 4, and Sakurai said that he added the Geno Mii costume just so we could have Geno in Smash in some capacity.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Mega Man only seemed to spike up in ''Oh my god I've always wanted him" or so it seemed from my perspective AFTER his reveal.

You'd see his support thread posted in a lot, but it never seemed like it blew up into other threads like K Rool, Ridley, and Geno often do (and did in Geno's case still.) until after he was revealed.

He just kinda seemed like the Simon Belmont of Smash 4 to me. A lot of hidden fans coming out of the woodwork after the fact.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Stop minimizing people who like Geno. It’s the exact same thing that was happening with banjo. People who don’t want him trying to minimize how many people actually want him to make him seem less likely. The only thing I don’t know, is why.
I’m not. Everyone can like him, and it’d be wrong of me to say they can’t.

All I’m doing is arguing against faulty points made for likeliness, such as claiming that he’s a household name and gaming icon, or that him being part of an ill-defined fan-made group of characters makes him more likely.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Cosmic77 Cosmic77 is right as hell though.

Sakurai's work will never be done. There is no last one.

He'll add Geno. Then people want Isaac. Then they want Waluigi. Then they'll want Tails. Then they'll want Elma. Then they'll want...

It just keeps going, Smash has become such a fan service model game now that Sakurai really can never truly please EVERYONE.

We could have a roster of 298 characters and there'd still be someone going ''It's an amazing roster, don't get me wrong, but where is Professor E. Gadd?"

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’m not. Everyone can like him, and it’d be wrong of me to say they can’t.

All I’m doing is arguing against faulty points made for likeliness, such as claiming that he’s a household name and gaming icon, or that him being part of an ill-defined fan-made group of characters makes him more likely.
Then don’t say things like “Sakurai is reevaluating his stance on Geno”

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think there's anyone left who could qualify as one of the "Big 3/4/whatever number we're going with now".

For me, the only characters following Brawl popular enough to fit into any kind of special group were Mewtwo, Ridley, and K. Rool. From what I remember, those were the guys who were brought up in practically every fake leak and wish list.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Cosmic77 Cosmic77 is right as hell though.

Sakurai's work will never be done. There is no last one.

He'll add Geno. Then people Isaac. Then they want Waluigi. Then they'll want Tails. Then they'll want Elma. Then they'll want...

It just keeps going, Smash has become such a fan service model game now that Sakurai really can never truly please EVERYONE.

We could have a roster of 298 characters and there'd still be someone going ''It's an amazing roster, don't get me wrong, but where is Professor E. Gadd?"
At that point I think we’ll know we’re being rediculous.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Then don’t say things like “Sakurai is reevaluating his stance on Geno”

Yes it is I the user known as Cosmic77.

Maybe, at the very least, check the posts you’re replying to before accusing me of trying to **** on people for liking a character.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I will also agree with SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 though. There's a lot of people who say ''Never say never" about characters like Sora or whomever...

But it seems like those very same people are super quick to place Geno into a never basket. It happened with Ridley. It happened with Banjo. It happend with K. Rool.

But every time one of those nevers gets in. They just move onto their next target.

You can't say ''Never say never." about your favorites and then try to shove another person or group's favorites into the trash bin labelled ''Never."

D

Deleted member

Alright name one single person who said Geno is a gaming icon and a household name. I'll wait. You most likely can't and even if people said that they're crazy cause while I'm a Geno fanatic I wouldn't even call him a "Gaming icon" or a "household name" that's just untrue and at best you'd be giving anecdotal evidence.

But that's okay Sakurai has added wacky, zany, irrelevant and obscure characters into Smash before. Without Smash people most likely wouldn't remember Ice Climbers beyond "Oh yeah that one game" nor would they likely remember someone like Ness beyond the super hardcore Nintendo fanbase but again that's okay. Geno doesn't need to be a super note-worthy gaming icon as if we were to only add characters like that we would get a CoD rep, Fortnite rep, Etc.

That's what makes Smash so interesting Sakurai can choose anyone and anything, relevant or irrelevant, gaming icon or not, If Sakurai likes it he could add it and he likes Geno. And so again, So what? Sure Geno isn't some gaming icon but he doesn't have to be.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, in the topic of Geno:
It's possible. But...
Square has to be in on it
Nintendo has to be in on it
Sakurai has to be in on it.

The first 2 are hard enough. Square hasn't done anything with Geno since M&L:SS, and Nintendo may want to promote other characters from Mario instead, it is their flagship franchise after all. Sakurai is Sakurai, who knows what he thinks of him now.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
As for me. I'm just game for anyone. Sakurai has blessed me time and time again that while yes I might not have a lot of personal experience with Hero or Terry, but I can just look at the roster and go ''Well, there's Rosalina, and there's Bayonetta, and Sonic, and so and so..."

It makes it a lot more pleasurable. Especially when you end up pleasantly loving someone like Hero or whomever you didn't know prior.

Stop hyperfocusing on one character and one character only and Smash becomes a blast to speculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom