• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
If it’s not Geno as the free character, I bet it goes to Rex and Pyramid. There is huge demand for them, Sakurai said he costume was a constellation because they couldn’t make pass one, they wouldn’t really need a new stage.

It would all make a lot of sense
THEY'RE IN

Untitled.png

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Internet kept screwing up on my end so I wasn't able to watch the direct, much less post my full thoughts, so I'll stick to Smash for now.

-Firstly, Banjo and Kazooie looks great. His moveset feels like a nostalgic throwback to how he played in the original games, similar to how K. Rool was crafted. I'm still trying to finish TH first so I'm not going to do a test run of him just yet, but as soon as I'm done I'm definitely going for a few rounds with them.

-Loved the trailer revealing Terry, I don't have too much of a connection to SNK's games outside of KoF14, but seeing all of the characters try and fail to get the invitation was a fun nod to that . I look forward to seeing more of him in November.

-It looks like the rumor of his debut trailer being a callback to Incineroar's turned out to be false, so in that regard we can't rely on the rumor for Ryu as our fifth fighter. However, the second rumor with Ryu did say that we would get continued DLC after the Fighter Pass, and while it's not impossible to guess, it does still give him a little credibility. So I'd say Ryu is still a fair option for Fighter 5, though he's not nearly as secured as he would've been if the trailer played out in the way the 4chan rumor stated.

-Speaking of which, it's a pleasant surprise to see that we're getting continued DLC. There are many characters people would love to see in the game and while the past four choices have been great, there's no doubting that the restriction was starting to be felt, so it's nice to have that freedom of discussion without worry. In terms of who will be picked, while I'm not going to throw my hat into the ring and say a Nintendo character is definite, I'm also not as certain that Nintendo characters are off the table. Sakurai's line has already been confirmed to be more ambiguous then the translation stated, and as we've seen before a mistranslation can easily lead to misinterpretations that allows us to overlook perfectly good options such as Ryu back in Smash 4's DLC where a mistranslated comment made people think characters from fighters were off the table. Additionally, we do have new series that can be introduced that still fit the criteria that Sakurai would be looking for such as Astral Chains and Dragalia Lost, so even if we strictly stick to that ideology it's not like the options are completely restricted to Third Parties. So there should be some caution when approaching this new set of DLC as we don't fully know where its direction will take us, it could be the same as this Fighter Pass, or it could throw in a couple Nintendo characters, it just depends on what we see in the future.

All in all, it looks like the train has extended its trip and I'm along for the ride, I look forward to another year with you lot!

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm playing as Banjo fighting Mewtwo on the Duck Hunt stage.

While Megalovania plays.

If this isn't your favorite video game of all time, I don't want to know what is.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
- Doom 64 and Doom Eternal set to release on Nov. 22nd.

- Terry comes out in Nov. and we'll likely get the final DLC fighter revealed.

- FPS mechanics already exist in the game.

- Adds an entirely new company to the crossover IIRC

Hrmmm...
New Company? Well there's Hayabusa, Scorpion/Sub-Zero, Rayman, and Doomguy off the top of my head.

The rest I can think of, are from companies we got at least one character from. If it were new IPs(but still potentially something from Capcom/Konami ect.) Then we'd have a larger list, but at this point I'm just waiting for more Terry footage or Capcom stuff at TGS, presuming they have RE and Mega Man stuff to show outside of the ZZX Collection.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Someone may have mentioned it (as usual I'm trying to catch up on pages, but there are so many) but anyone else find it odd no other Microsoft content was included? I get that it is a unique partnership, but it does feel like they're missing out on sweet, sweet $$$$ by not including some of the Mindcraft content. Makes me wonder if there's still a possibility for Steve (now that Banjo is in, I'm pretty neutral) and some Mii costumes. Just a theory.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Didn't get to watch the direct until about 2.5 hours ago.

Had the biggest surprise half way through when I learnt I could already download Banjo. Oh and MOAR DLC. Also bought a Mii costume for the first time because while I can live without cosmetic DLC, I need to collect all the in game music.

Even if there was a fair amount of leaked stuff and a lot of ports, I really liked the non-Smash stuff. Glad to see SNES online finally (excited to see Stunt Race FX finally rerelease), Xenoblade and Doom 64.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm kind of glad that Shulk looks goofy in the remake than he did in XBC2.

StormC

Smash Hero
Pretty obvious at this point all FP newcomers will be from different companies.

...jury's out on season 2.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
So eithet he knee about Steve from the second wave of DLC way in advance, Steve is #5, or Verge was simply wrong on that.

Shroob

Sup?
Now, Mr.Sakurai

You've shown us an amazing hand of cards, but we're not blind, we see that ace up your sleeve come November.

Let us see it.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just realized that I could use Gold Coins to get the Sans costume for free.

Finally My Nintendo is useful for something other then buying stamina potions.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
mfw the megalovania remix has ASGORE and bonetrousle's medleys mixed in

1567674262655.png

Last edited:

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
So I’ve never liked the Mii characters. I’ve always felt they look super silly and don’t fit the game at all.

But.... the ones that completely cover their faces to make it pretty close to a regular character are pretty nice. So I have Sans as a gunner and Skullkid as a Brawler. Since I don’t have other costumes set up it kind of feels like I have two brand new characters in a way.

Anyone know of any good Undertale custom stages? I’m no expert on the game.

Shroob

Sup?
So I’ve never liked the Mii characters. I’ve always felt they look super silly and don’t fit the game at all.

But.... the ones that completely cover their faces to make it pretty close to a regular character are pretty nice. So I have Sans as a gunner and Skullkid as a Brawler. Since I don’t have other costumes set up it kind of feels like I have two brand new characters in a way.

Anyone know of any good Undertale custom stages? I’m no expert on the game.
Magicant

StormC

Smash Hero
Me, an idiot at 2:30 PST today: guess we're gonna get Terry revealed today and that's it
Sakurai: I'm about to ruin this man's whole Smash speculation career

Shroob

Sup?
You ****ing know that the first of these 'new' characters has already begun production.

With Terry's release in just TWO months

And if I were a betting man, he'll be out before Sword/Shield as to not overlap or get drowned out

They're not just putting the final polish on Terry and Character 5 and that's it.

Now the question of course will be do they show us Character 5 and Bonus 1 in November.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Me, an idiot at 2:30 PST today: guess we're gonna get Terry revealed today and that's it
Sakurai: I'm about to ruin this man's whole Smash speculation career
I'm just glad we're not in the timeline where Terry's trailer was a continuation of Kencineroar's, that 4chan leak was right and speculation for the next few months would be 'yeah, it's Ryu'

Nothing against the ninja boy, but good God that would have been dull

StormC

Smash Hero
Did you honestly think we would be here, in this position, after this 18 months ago?

Did you think we'd have all the veterans back?

Simon Belmont? King K. Rool? Ridley? A Piranha Plant? Joker? Dragon Quest? Banjo & Kazooie? Terry Bogard? 2+ years of DLC?

DID YOU THINK WE WOULD HAVE SANS ****ING UNDERTALE?

I think Sans broke me. I'm done, I give up on Smash speculation. Nobody can guess Sakurai.

Remember BluePIkmin who thought they had Sakurai's thinking pattern down pat? Imagine trying to outguess the master.

ALL HAIL THE KING OF VIDEO GAMES.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
"i was looking forward to getting some rest after finishing fighter 5 and just generally not dying, but then mr. furukawa rung me up with an offer i couldn't refuse"

1567675975376.png

Shroob

Sup?
Did you honestly think we would be here, in this position, after this 18 months ago?

Did you think we'd have all the veterans back?

Simon Belmont? King K. Rool? Ridley? A Piranha Plant? Joker? Dragon Quest? Banjo & Kazooie? Terry Bogard? 2+ years of DLC?

DID YOU THINK WE WOULD HAVE SANS ****ING UNDERTALE?

I think Sans broke me. I'm done, I give up on Smash speculation. Nobody can guess Sakurai.

Remember BluePIkmin who thought they had Sakurai's thinking pattern down pat? Imagine trying to outguess the master.

ALL HAIL THE KING OF VIDEO GAMES.
I'm gonna be like 31 or 32 when this ****'s done lmao

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
While I realize that this is a conversation we will likely never agree on, I'm just going to say that I disagree and don't believe his statement was all that vague.

The statement in question was:

A few things stand out to me here.

1) Sakurai makes sure he addresses the fact that he doubts "there will ever be an opportunity to bring this many characters together again". There are currently 35 series crossing over with playable characters (36 once Terry Bogard crosses over) in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. This is already the record for most series in a playable game, officially created by a gaming company. This is clearly already massive. Adding more entirely brand new series to Smash, 1st party or 3rd party, broadens the crossover element. Adding characters from series already with playable content, does not broaden the crossover in terms of new "gaming worlds" joining Smash

That may simply be my interpretation, but I feel that that makes the most sense. Otherwise, to me, it's basically splitting hairs. Even if I may want Edelgard, implying that Three Houses is "a different world" from Radiant Dawn or Awakening while literally true for their games, it is not so true for Smash. These characters are organized into different series. The crossover is considered by series, not individual game in terms of the record.

2) To your point that, "Sakurai's goal...never has been to cram in as many new franchises as he can...", I feel that's demonstrably false. Not only did he add the most new franchises to Smash 4, he's done absolutely nothing but add completely new franchises during this wave of DLC. He could have picked 1st party characters for the Fighter's Pass. However, he chose not to. As he chose not to, he picked characters that literally all come from 3rd parties.

3) To your point that he, "added Corrin for the sole purpose of that [fans of Nintendo games that would like to see a character get in Smash]" I feel that this is also not entirely correct. Sakurai was hesitant to add Corrin because there were several Fire Emblem characters in Smash 4 already. In addition, he wanted to add a Nintendo character from an upcoming game.

Now, I'm sure you know this, but not every Nintendo fan was satisfied by Corrin. The loudest people detested that pick.

4) Finally, the record that Sakurai refers to when he says, "So I want to keep improving on this record as much as possible". This brings me back to my first point with these "gaming worlds" that I am interpreting as "series entirely new to Smash" and not simply different games in a series we already have.

I've referred to the record that Smash has. 36 different series with playable characters once Terry is in the game. Assuming the final pick from the Fighter Pass is new to Smash, that would make it 37. If Sakurai is aiming to "keep improving on this record as much as possible", and is adding 5 more characters (for the sake of argument), he now has the opportunity to expand the crossover in Smash to 42 different series in Smash with playable characters, with several other series represented in other roles, like Monster Hunter.

Why would he not add a series that is new to Smash to expand the crossover? He could certainly pick a new 1st Party Series, like Astral Chain. I wouldn't even argue that's unlikely. It could absolutely happen. However, adding Fire Emblem doesn't expand the crossover of series in Smash. Adding Mario and Pokemon doesn't do that either. Pokemon Sword and Shield is still Pokemon, and therefore, the amount of series crossing over into Smash after a character from Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda, or even Fire Emblem remains the same as it did since the last character from a series not yet in Smash.

Basically, I don't think people are fools for wanting 1st parties. Nintendo games are great, they're what I grew up on, and I love their characters. I'm also not trying to say that folks have to like 3rd party characters. However, what I am saying is that 1st parties, or at least ones that don't come from new series not yet in Smash, don't move the needle. People will buy them. People will be excited by them. But it's not the same as adding a series that brings the hype.

Astral Chain would be incredible, I have no doubt. However, I would absolutely argue adding Dante, or Heihachi, or Jill, or Phoenix Wright, or even KOS-MOS would generate more hype.

It's not impossible for 1st parties. I see it as unlikely, from my point of view.
I get what argument you're trying to make, but I don't think adding characters just for the sake of having a new franchise is the best way to decide who gets in Smash, nor do I think third-parties always bring the hype better than Nintendo characters. It's circumstantial.

I mean, let's be honest. You really think Joker is comparable to Ridley and K. Rool? Would Terry spark more enthusiasm worldwide than Waluigi?

Yes, Smash is a crossover game that has dozens of different franchises involved, but adding a new franchise isn't enough to make people excited. You also have to consider how many people know the character and the franchise they come from, otherwise people won't even realize or care how big of a deal it was for a certain franchise to have miraculously made it in Smash. That's part of the reason why many people have had to defend Terry from all the people who didn't know who he was.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Everyone: *HYPE AS **** ABOUT THE DIRECT*

Old Man Broken Back vs Cosmic77: "IT MEANS NEW FRANCHISES" "IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT!"

Fellas, can we not start the debates until we see the first non-fighter pass include?

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'm leaning more towards new franchises tbh though I'd appreciate a first party character or two

And the direct really wasn't that hype overall

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I just realized that I could use Gold Coins to get the Sans costume for free.

Finally My Nintendo is useful for something other then buying stamina potions.
Holy ****. Thank you! Doing this rn

Also, I imagine fighter #5 is a given come Nov. with hoe they're releasing these characters. If it's not November with Terry, it'll definitely be during the annual January Direct.

But yeah, the new characters past the Fighter Pass are DEFINITELY already planned and beinf worked on. Why announce it so early otherwise?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Everyone: *HYPE AS **** ABOUT THE DIRECT*

Old Man Broken Back vs Cosmic77: "IT MEANS NEW FRANCHISES" "IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT!"

Fellas, can we not start the debates until we see the first non-fighter pass include?
I mean, that's what I'd prefer to do.

Just hard to enjoy the speculation when quite a few of your favorites are first-party, and every time you bring them up in this thread, multiple users have to respond to your post and remind you that we're only getting third-parties, even though we know virtually nothing about this "second pass".

Shroob

Sup?
Right now, this'll be the best experience we have for awhile tbh.

The hype is still fresh in our minds, the next character isn't that far off, and, as far as we know, all current leaks are dead and no leaker knows who character 5 is.

We'll probably see Sabi, Verg or VRPlant spoil everything for character 5 come super early November, but.... We really ought to relish this moment.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I feel like Little Town Hero is going to be somewhat of a flop, especially since it releases so close to Pokemon. The gameplay also doesn't look too terribly interesting.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like Little Town Hero is going to be somewhat of a flop, especially since it releases so close to Pokemon. The gameplay also doesn't look too terribly interesting.
Same can be said of Daemon x Machina.

It feels like anything sent out during November is basically sent to die, which is why I myself am projecting Terry, and probably some sort of Smash presentation, to drop before Sword/Shield does.

Doing it the week of or after is just suicide.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
smashboards pre-direct: "welp terry time, let's hope the trailer isn't kencineroar or else it'll just be nothing but ryu for these last few months"
smashboards post-direct: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Shroob

Sup?
smashboards pre-direct: "welp terry time, let's hope the trailer isn't kencineroar or else it'll just be nothing but ryu for these last few months"
smashboards post-direct: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
When you wake up and realize Sans is still in the game.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Sakurai will rather die than release another FE character given how he reacted to Corrin and how he knows the Smash fans view the franchise.

But then again, maybe he WANTS to produce the salt mines.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I can't imagine if this serious happened lmao...
View attachment 236938
I mean, we never did get those Three Houses Spirits in Smash. Either it's a coincidence or they're purposely being held off.

Sakurai will rather die than release another FE character given how he reacted to Corrin and how he knows the Smash fans view the franchise.

But then again, maybe he WANTS to produce the salt mines.
That's a bit extreme. Echo or not, he still felt comfortable enough to add Chrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom