• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
My biggest qualms with the Five Nights at Freddy's series are that, as ingenious as the gameplay is, the scare factor tends to...vary.

Usually my issues with it stems from the jumpscares getting too repetitive and/or looking cheesy. FNaF 2 suffered from that the most. It favored difficulty over horror (though it wasn't without some creepiness. The secret minigames and crackling animatronic screens made certain of that), and the jumpscares looking like gifs pasted over the game background did little in their favor, imo. Bonnie clawing at your face and Foxy leaping at you with his huge jaws hanging wide open could've been a lot freakier if the animations didn't look so cartooney and out of place. FNaF 3 has a similar issue with repetitive jumpscares, since while the Phantoms look nightmarish, they can't actually kill the player, so they can easily attack you multiple times on one night. Put too much emphasis on the jumpscares alone, and the scare factor tends to diminish very quickly.

I do think the series has gradually improved on the scares again starting with the fourth entry, though.
The most frightening part in my opinion was always the atmopshere and story, but Five Nights At Freddy's Help Wanted fixes the issues with the jumpscares. The animation is better, and the jumpscares are terrifying.

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
My biggest qualms with the Five Nights at Freddy's series are that, as ingenious as the gameplay is, the scare factor tends to...vary.

Usually my issues with it stems from the jumpscares getting too repetitive and/or looking cheesy. FNaF 2 suffered from that the most. It favored difficulty over horror (though it wasn't without some creepiness. The secret minigames and crackling animatronic screens made certain of that), and the jumpscares looking like gifs pasted over the game background did little in their favor, imo. Bonnie clawing at your face and Foxy leaping at you with his huge jaws hanging wide open could've been a lot freakier if the animations didn't look so cartooney and out of place. FNaF 3 has a similar issue with repetitive jumpscares, since while the Phantoms look nightmarish, they can't actually kill the player, so they can easily attack you multiple times on one night. Put too much emphasis on the jumpscares alone, and the scare factor tends to diminish very quickly.

I do think the series has gradually improved on the scares again starting with the fourth entry, though.
Funny, the jumpscares actually never scared me. In fact, I actually laughed at them most of the time. The only thing that scared me was simply the character designs in later entries, that's all. Not even the backstory creeps me out.

Edit: I should add that the overall atmosphere of the games also made them creepy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Funny, the jumpscares actually never scared me. In fact, I actually laughed at them most of the time. The only thing that scared me was simply the character designs in later entries, that's all. Not even the backstory creeps me out.
I think the creator struggled, and still struggles a bit, with understanding good horror. I can't really blame him, though. I mean, before FNAF he was making kids games. lol

D

Deleted member

I'm a horror pansy, so FNaF 1 did it's job scaring the **** out of me when I watched the Markiplier lp. I watched it at a time when the 5 dead children thing wasn't popular yet, so I thought it was a clever "malfunctioned machines turned into surreal horror" experience. No ghosts; no purple serial killer. Just you against 4 weirdly malfunctioning animatronics, and I stand by that being a genius way to do a lot with nothing. Depending on your imagination and stress, your mind is what made the fear.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm of a weird generation where TMNT had JUST started to fizzle out and it rose back up when I was too old and I had other options :yoshi:
Basically in the same boat. I caught some reruns of the 80s cartoon as a kid, but it definitely wasn't "my" thing.

Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were basically my mainstays as a kid. Helps that they were one channel apart in my area.

D

Deleted member

Like, 60% of my voice over stuff is FNAF, but it's fun, so I don't mind.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ya'll children are making me feel even more like an old man when it comes Turtles.

Ya'll growing up on 2000 eras stuff and I'm over here remembering when they were hanging out with Vanilla Ice in the movies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
What will help me love your game is if my character can wear a crapton of costumes, even if they have no gameplay benefits.

Persona 5 and Super Mario Odyssey being some of the biggest examples.
Legit, i think i spent more time buying and changing costumes in Botw and Odyssey more than playing the actual game lol.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
2003 TMNT is hoesntly the best show 4kids was involved with. It's pretty ironic too considering how dark the show got.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Born on 2003 Turtles

Raised on 2012 Turtles
I was born in 1991 which was the same year Nickelodeon launched their original cartoons (Rugrats, Doug and Ren & Stimpy), so I had no reason to switch to Saturday Morning which TMNT was on. Later I would get all the WB shows like Animaniacs and Batman when they reran on Cartoon Network :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

To me the scariest parts of FNAF was never the jump scares, it was the backstory.

A doofy looking animal mascot screaming in my face? Surprising the first few times then after that? Nothing.

But the idea a child murderer luring innocents, killing them, and using them for horrific experiments? It still kinda unsettles me after all this time.
I find the story rather intriguing. It's really dark, but not to the point of being silly.
I'm a horror pansy, so FNaF 1 did it's job scaring the **** out of me when I watched the Markiplier lp. I watched it at a time when the 5 dead children thing wasn't popular yet, so I thought it was a clever "malfunctioned machines turned into surreal horror" experience. No ghosts; no purple serial killer. Just you against 4 weirdly malfunctioning animatronics, and I stand by that being a genius way to do a lot with nothing. Depending on your imagination and stress, your mind is what made the fear.
FNAF 1 actually did have ghosts possessing the machines after the kids were killed. (There's a chance the rules in hallway will change to a newspaper detailing the incident, hinting this is the case.) The guy on the phone simply tries to sell if off as the animatronics malfunctioning.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Only the real Gs remember the City era pf Cartoom Network with the little animatics of the characters in a city setting.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Hey guys, need some help.
I'm trying to upload a YouTube thumbnail, but it keeps saying that I have an error. I've tried changing the size to fit a YouTube thumbnail, and clearing my cache, but it doesn't work.

StormC

Smash Hero
I remember when Ed, Edd n Eddy had a "Cartoon Cartoons" bumper even though technically it was an outsourced cartoon :yoshi:
I think back then they considered any original cartoon airing on Cartoon Network as a Cartoon Cartoon. Samurai Jack was the exception because it was very different in tone and structure.

There's probably some other shows I'm forgetting, but the Cartoon Cartoon moniker was basically dropped by the early 2000s.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm of a weird generation where TMNT had JUST started to fizzle out and it rose back up when I was too old and I had other options :yoshi:
Born on 2003 Turtles

Raised on 2012 Turtles
I'm of a weird generation that remembers a guy in a Raphael suit dressed in an overcoat swinging a baseball bat and screaming "DAMN!" throughout NYC.

It was a good childhood.

(and it's funny since we're the same generation--it's weird thinking that movie came out the year before I was born)

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I remember those pokémon marathons they would do, the Scooby and Courage theatre event, and those Halloween events where they had a puppet of Dracula from Billy and Mandy talk between the shows.

Freaking Scary Godmother every year for Halloween and Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer for Christmas.

Ahh... Good times

Noipoi

Howdy!
I remember those pokémon marathons they would do, the Scooby and Courage theatre event, and those Halloween events where they had a puppet of Dracula from Billy and Mandy talk between the shows.

Freaking Scary Godmother every year for Halloween and Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer for Christmas.

Ahh... Good times
Scary Godmother

Oh good lord that takes me back

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok but anyone remember Megas XLR tho

That **** got me into fourth wall breaking humor

Gone too soon... :c

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
As much as I like Cartoon Network, and they definitely have their iconic shows and all...

Nickelodeon had Avatar, Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents, Jimmy Neutron, and Danny Phantom air ALL within the same era.

StormC

Smash Hero
Ok but anyone remember Megas XLR tho

That **** got me into fourth wall breaking humor

Gone too soon... :c
Loved it. Flopped so bad CN did a write off on it so they could never profit from it again.

Same thing happened with Symbiotic Titan.

...I guess CN isn't meant to have mecha shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom