• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
None of the FNAF games legitimately terrified me until FNAF 3. Spring trap is arguably the most horrifying thing I've ever seen in a horror game.

That I'm willing to play.
Speaking about Springtrap, holy **** do I love his walk cycle.
SpringTrap_camwalk.gif

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
I would be less inclined to expect a Smash announcement if there was no way we were getting Banjo till October but seeing as he's likely right around the corner I can see them announcing his release date and then who fighter pack 4 is.

Not EXPECTING it outright but I could definitely see it.
How did this shift in oppinion happen? Why would that SNK leak thing happen if we weren't getting a reveal soon?

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
None of the FNAF games legitimately terrified me until FNAF 3. Spring trap is arguably the most horrifying thing I've ever seen in a horror game.

That I'm willing to play.
I actually liked the first game. The second one started creeping me out, so I slowly drifted away from the series, pretending I still liked it. Springtrap is what really made me officially quit the series.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I actually liked the first game. The second one started creeping me out, so I slowly drifted away from the series, pretending I still liked it. Springtrap is what really made me officially quit the series.
Chief lemme tell ya, it gets scarier.
Prepare for 10 minutes of unskippable cutscenes of an old man rambling. Truly terrifying.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Speaking of Five Nights at Freddy's are we all ready for when it blows up again because of the movie that Blumhouse will make on a production budget of 5 dollars and some Redvines and it goes on to make 70 million dollars or more because Blumhouse never has a true flop?

Get ready.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Speaking of Five Nights at Freddy's are we all ready for when it blows up again because of the movie that Blumhouse will make on a production budget of 5 dollars and some Redvines and it goes on to make 70 million dollars or more because Blumhouse never has a true flop?

Get ready.
I know nothing about it or Blumhouse's previous films, so I'm not really awaiting or dreading it. I'm probably not gonna see the film, anyway, unless it's enough to interest me.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!

Get ready.
I'm interested to see where it goes. The creator has been super protective of it's story and tone. Like, Nintendo levels of protective. So It will probably be good. Even if I don't really like horror films.

Then we get Freddy Fazbear added to Smash to promote it. Or Mortal Kombat. They could probably get away with that.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
The rating system in general feels weird.

Anything that isn't "M" or "TV-MA" likely only have cuss words and maybe some blood and bruises which many kids can handle just fine. Plus, some only get high ratings for games if there's even a single instance of something like a panty on a girl in some situation you're ot even destined to cross paths with.

Hell, even the mature titles aren't that grueling half the time to the point that it would permanently scar kids. Kids are more resilient and capable than we often think.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
How did this shift in oppinion happen? Why would that SNK leak thing happen if we weren't getting a reveal soon?
Erdrick leak literally happened WAY before his release. Plus, if the last DLC fighter comes out in February and we're getting Banjo in September, it's likely there will be a large gap between two fighter reveals. This could definitely be that gap.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Erdrick leak literally happened WAY before his release. Plus, if the last DLC fighter comes out in February and we're getting Banjo in September, it's likely there will be a large gap between two fighter reveals. This could definitely be that gap.
I don't, personally, think that's very smart. I think it's in their best interest to reveal Terry here. Not to mention there have been several other signs pointing towards SOMETHING SNK related in this direct anyway. I don't know why that wouldn't include the Smash character. Like, this just seems like pessimism to me. The same kind of pessimism where people were actually expecting NOT to see a character at E3.

Plus, if I remember correctly, he said that the last fighter would be out BY February. Not that the last character would be out IN February.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Saw it discussed on GameFAQS, but evidently IAmShifty has doubled down on Hayabusa being a DLC character for Smash.

Has that been mentioned yet? I don’t know what to think, and there’s a handful of characters I’d probably be more hyped for. But that doesn’t matter if you’re talking about what’s actually happening.
Smash speculation would be sent into a ****ING FRENZY if it turned out the character reveal is Hayabusa and not Terry. However, considering that the two most reputable insiders have said it's Terry/SNK on top of a potential Nintendo leak, I'm inclined to believe that this next reveal is indeed Terry maybe Hayabusa for Pack 5? Big maybe.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The Dragon Quest developers were made aware of the Hero's shenanigans in Smash. Here's their response courtesy of Nintendo Life.
Okay...this is my most important question. Why is Hero so overpowered in Super Smash Bros.?

[Group laughter]

Hikari Kubota (DQXI Assistant Producer, Square-Enix): That’s because Mr. Sakurai likes him so much.

Hokuto Okamoto (DQXI Producer, Square-Enix): Is he powerful?

A lot of the tournament players are debating whether or not to ban him...

Okamoto: That’s not because he’s too powerful, it’s because of the random element being too powerful, right?

Uh...in short...sort of.

[Group laughter]

Kubota: We thought that he would be an easy fit just putting him in Smash, but from Mr. Sakurai there were all these ideas that kept getting added in after the fact, like putting in a turn-based command window, as well.

Okamoto: You know, as somebody on the Dragon Quest team, we make games, like we said before, that we want people to get through from start to finish - anyone should be able to get through our games. But you get to Smash Bros. and you’re dealing with an action fighting game. As that skill ceiling increases, there are people who won’t be able to keep up, (as there are) people who can’t play at a certain level of difficulty.

So I think that with Hero from Dragon Quest XI, because that strength of his randomness is so powerful at times, that gives him the appeal of being a character that (for) somebody who’s a button-masher, (they) can get in and deliver some really powerful blows. And I think that’s kind of a good point about the character.

Yes. Dragon Quest is for everyone. Even in other games.

[Group laughter]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I actually enjoy FNAF a good bit. Not perfect, but a lot of passion is put into it. That, and the game isn’t afraid to make fun of itself.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Unpopular Opinion: TMNT works far far far far far better as a children's friendly franchise than it does an edgy M rated comic.
Don't look at my avatar then.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I know nothing about it or Blumhouse's previous films, so I'm not really awaiting or dreading it. I'm probably not gonna see the film, anyway, unless it's enough to interest me.
Blumhouse is known for making films on a budget. For example:

Paranormal Activity was made with only 15 thousand dollars. It went onto make 193 million.
Sinister? Made for 3 million. Box office of 87 million.
Purge? 3 million as well. 89 million box office.
Insidous? 1 million. 97 million in box officer.
Happy Death Day? 4 million. 125 million box office.

They even continue this model with ''bigger" horror franchises since acquiring Halloween/Michael Myers. Even with Jamie Lee Curtis leading the film.

Still made with just 10 million and went on to make 254 million.

So they'll probably spend a minimal budget to guarantee maximum profit.

So quite literally 5 dollars and a bag of redvines.

Shroob

Sup?
But ya I don't see them leaving us hanging.

We got 5 months left and Banjos out this month, they're not gonna put the breaks on this train.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion

Paranormal Activity was made with only 15 thousand dollars. It went onto make 193 million.

They even continue this model with ''bigger" horror franchises since acquiring Halloween/Michael Myers. Even with Jamie Lee Curtis leading the film.

The Illumination of Live-action films

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Illumination of Live-action films
Unlike Illumination though, Blumhouse has them an Oscar under their belt though thanks to Jordan Peele and Get Out lol.

Which isn't an easy feat when you focus on making horror movies primarily.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!

Does this production model lead to bad movies?

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I mean, it makes sense, though.

FNaF is a simplistic franchise that performed well despite all odds.

Makes sense, even though I doubt it was intentional

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Does this production model lead to bad movies?
No. I mean a majority of the films I've mentioned have been either liked by fans of the horror genre or gotten good reviews all around.

Get Out for example as mentioned? Won them an Oscar through Jordan Peele's efforts and they made that with 4 million dollars.

Halloween (2018), Happy Death Day, etc all also hold mostly ''fresh" ratings on review collector websites like Rotten Tomatoes as well.

So Blumhouse definitely knows what they're doing. If someone had to make that movie? It's probably in good hands.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My biggest qualms with the Five Nights at Freddy's series are that, as ingenious as the gameplay is, the scare factor tends to...vary.

Usually my issues with it stems from the jumpscares getting too repetitive and/or looking cheesy. FNaF 2 suffered from that the most. It favored difficulty over horror (though it wasn't without some creepiness. The secret minigames and crackling animatronic screens made certain of that), and the jumpscares looking like gifs pasted over the game background did little in their favor, imo. Bonnie clawing at your face and Foxy leaping at you with his huge jaws hanging wide open could've been a lot freakier if the animations didn't look so cartooney and out of place. FNaF 3 has a similar issue with repetitive jumpscares, since while the Phantoms look nightmarish, they can't actually kill the player, so they can easily attack you multiple times on one night. Put too much emphasis on the jumpscares alone, and the scare factor tends to diminish very quickly.

I do think the series has gradually improved on the scares again starting with the fourth entry, though.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
My biggest qualms with the Five Nights at Freddy's series are that, as ingenious as the gameplay is, the scare factor tends to...vary.

Usually my issues with it stems from the jumpscares getting too repetitive and/or looking cheesy. FNaF 2 suffered from that the most. It favored difficulty over horror (though it wasn't without some creepiness. The secret minigames and crackling animatronic screens made certain of that), and the jumpscares looking like gifs pasted over the game background did little in their favor, imo. Bonnie clawing at your face and Foxy leaping at you with his huge jaws hanging wide open could've been a lot freakier if the animations didn't look so cartooney and out of place. FNaF 3 has a similar issue with repetitive jumpscares, since while the Phantoms look nightmarish, they can't actually kill the player, so they can easily attack you multiple times on one night. Put too much emphasis on the jumpscares alone, and the scare factor tends to diminish very quickly.

I do think the series has gradually improved on the scares again starting with the fourth entry, though.
To me the scariest parts of FNAF was never the jump scares, it was the backstory.

A doofy looking animal mascot screaming in my face? Surprising the first few times then after that? Nothing.

But the idea a child murderer luring innocents, killing them, and using them for horrific experiments? It still kinda unsettles me after all this time.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion

Dude, Sister Location with you hiding and having to struggle for your life with the sliding door and seeing the eyes in the holes? Great start to the game.

StormC

Smash Hero
What will help me love your game is if my character can wear a crapton of costumes, even if they have no gameplay benefits.

Persona 5 and Super Mario Odyssey being some of the biggest examples.

D

Deleted member

Being able to cook in a game makes it an 8/10 instantly, change my mind.
FNAF cooking sim. /s

Mr. Hippo is the greatest FNAF character.

I will not accept any blasphemers.
Anyone who says otherwise shall be arrested for heresy.

The jumpscares are kinda the iffy parts. Seems the creator has acknowledged it, though. He said one of the reasons he made 4 was because he wasn't happy with how 3's jumpscares were being received. (Some UCN jumpscares are crappy, but I can understand why.) I do wish FNAF had more "unsettling" moments. Not stuff that makes you scream like a Youtuber, just creepy stuff. (Beyond the hallucinations and such.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom