• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
The entire reason I became interested in Hero and DQ11S was because of the positive attitude of DQ fans in the Square and Erdrick threads. Just a really nice fanbase all around.
I will say that despite me not be interested in Hero or DQ (for both pre and post-release), the fact that the DQ fans were some of the most respectful people on the Squeenix thread made me legitimately happy for them getting Hero in Smash.

D

Deleted member

I doubt anyone will care, given all of the possible SNK leaks and the ads indicating that Banjo will be released in less than two weeks, but I beat Super Mario World! It's a game that's been on my backlog for a while now - I'd beaten the final boss before (I got a used version with a 100% complete save file), but I hadn't played the entire game start to finish before.

I found it was a lot more forgiving than Super Mario Bros. 1 or 3 - being able to go back to any level, regardless of what point you're at in the game, was a huge help in terms of making sure that I was stocked up on power-ups. (in Mario 3, I'd run out of power-ups by world 3 or 4, forcing me to subsist on whatever the level had to offer and having to make it through most of it as small Mario) I found that the Fire Flower was significantly less useful than the Cape Feather, so I mainly stuck with the cape for most of the game.

It felt good to play through the game and see why it was so beloved, as opposed to skipping straight to the final boss. Next on my list is Zelda: Ocarina of Time; I always got stuck in the Water Temple or the desert temple, so that's another classic game that I haven't beaten. I'm going to start from scratch and try to avoid using guides, though I might not be able to resist the temptation to use a guide for the Water Temple.
SMW is a very fun game to revisit and try going for all the secret routes.

Water Temple was my 10 years old self bane, took me like 4 months to figure how to pass the Water Temple.

D

Deleted member

:ultbanjokazooie: fans got it easy then, huh
Banjo really did get it good. There is no reason to include him outside of fans remembering his games fondly. You'll always find new Banjo remixes, speedruns of the games, and tons of fanart to compensate for the lack of a new "good" game since 2000.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

is geno gonna get in eventually or is he just gonna be an actual forever never just cause Square wants to be a *****
Considering Square made two Mario sports games that had Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters, and a crossover between those two franchises for a board game, and neither referenced Super Mario RPG, I think Geno's chance at ever appearing again is long gone.

D

Deleted member

:ultbanjokazooie: fans got it easy then, huh
Hey we're just lucky that Microsoft was willing to play ball and went with the pick that caters to a core fanbase rather than a more pragmatic and wider-reaching choice in Steve of Chief. I'm betting one of those two will probably get in eventually though.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Big support threads usually lead to echo chambers with lots of bitterness and vitriol. The Geno thread and Banjo thread in particular were very hateful towards Dragon Quest and Minecraft. Every time I opened those threads I saw someone ****ting on one of these two franchises, it was quite annoying to see this sentiment shared and repeated a lot.
It's even worse when said vitriol still carries on even long after the character has been revealed.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I feel like Geese Howard, Ryu Hayabusa, Phoenix Wright, and Velvet Crowe should all be honorary members of #birdgang.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Even if I wasn't too excited at first, Shulk inclusion in Smash 4 is I say a highlight for this game roster, since so much good came out of it, notably XB2, but also me knowing about the legacy of Monolith Studio, which I say is very inspiring due to how much **** they had to go through.

That, and having Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud & Bayonetta is one single game is still pretty impressif to me, even if I really missed Snake.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
I wake up.

People are saying Banjo and Geno have no reason to be added aside from fans remembering?

So.... why is it that when we’re talking about adding in Fire Emblem characters or another Capcom one it’s “Sakurai just adds what he thinks is cool” but when it’s banjo or Geno, then all the rules of “deservedness” and “relevancy” apply? At least be consistent.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Since Warchamp7 Warchamp7 decided to let the website image thingy die in a fire:

So assuming they function like other core FG characters in Ryu or Ken, what are we thinking here?

Simplistically, Haohmaru or Terry Bogard is very easy to implement since it's so simple and already similar to the two. Hell, Haohmaru already has a special move that the Mii Swordfighter has. However, Kyo is out here having a whole ****ing set of complex shenanigans and variants. Like holy ****, chill out.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I wake up.

People are saying Banjo and Geno have no reason to be added aside from fans remembering?

So.... why is it that when we’re talking about adding in Fire Emblem characters or another Capcom one it’s “Sakurai just adds what he thinks is cool” but when it’s banjo or Geno, then all the rules of “deservedness” and “relevancy” apply? At least be consistent.
No one's saying that. It's that people are saying myopic fanbases make for a negative environment, which isn't false.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I doubt anyone will care, given all of the possible SNK leaks and the ads indicating that Banjo will be released in less than two weeks, but I beat Super Mario World! It's a game that's been on my backlog for a while now - I'd beaten the final boss before (I got a used version with a 100% complete save file), but I hadn't played the entire game start to finish before.

I found it was a lot more forgiving than Super Mario Bros. 1 or 3 - being able to go back to any level, regardless of what point you're at in the game, was a huge help in terms of making sure that I was stocked up on power-ups. (in Mario 3, I'd run out of power-ups by world 3 or 4, forcing me to subsist on whatever the level had to offer and having to make it through most of it as small Mario) I found that the Fire Flower was significantly less useful than the Cape Feather, so I mainly stuck with the cape for most of the game.

It felt good to play through the game and see why it was so beloved, as opposed to skipping straight to the final boss. Next on my list is Zelda: Ocarina of Time; I always got stuck in the Water Temple or the desert temple, so that's another classic game that I haven't beaten. I'm going to start from scratch and try to avoid using guides, though I might not be able to resist the temptation to use a guide for the Water Temple.
Congrats!

I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes the Water Temple, though it's hard to deny that boots-on-boots-off quickly gets tedious

The whole dungeon though is really well designed, and is part of a three in a row streak of really good dungeons in Zelda

Won't spoil the Water Temple but there's this one key that could give you grief as you could find yourself one short and not sure where to look for it

D

Deleted member

I wake up.

That's not what we're talking about at all though?
grant kirkhope really out here retweeting the SNK leak huh
I bet Grant is on Team Terry:4pacman:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>get likes on my nerd command input post
>give out entire resources
>no one gives me an answer to my question

:mad088:

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!

I really honestly don’t know. I’d say the complexity of his inputs probably does rule out Kyo. Plus SNK has never really treated him as a mascot. Terry and Nakoruru are still our most likely suspects.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really honestly don’t know. I’d say the complexity of his inputs probably does rule out Kyo. Plus SNK has never really treated him as a mascot. Terry and Nakoruru are still our most likely suspects.
you all sleep on haohmaru one more time im gonna have a fit

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Since Warchamp7 Warchamp7 decided to let the website image thingy die in a fire:

So assuming they function like other core FG characters in Ryu or Ken, what are we thinking here?

Simplistically, Haohmaru or Terry Bogard is very easy to implement since it's so simple and already similar to the two. Hell, Haohmaru already has a special move that the Mii Swordfighter has. However, Kyo is out here having a whole ****ing set of complex shenanigans and variants. Like holy ****, chill out.
I feel like Nakoruru has that balance between uniqueness (the counter/disarm/tactical gameplay, the bird) and implementation, but Terry has the iconicness while still differing enough playwise from Ken and Ryu. I could see Kyo but I'm not sure if they want Smash to be that technical yet.
can't believe Banjo's gonna be in SamSho
samsho-kazooie

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 oh i should have mentioned

the reason kyo's moveset is so complex is because they're all combos

it's basically how Flyboy Flyboy put it

I'm not sure if they want Smash to be that technical yet.
I mean, Ken has more unique moves that are more combo based and have super specific timings (like one of his kicks having a different result if you tap vs hold), so it's not impossible, but I'm not sure if they want that yet. kyo is a lot more ****ing technical than ken is in smash easily. if you're playing kyo in smash, you might as well buy a goddamn arcade stick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That’s what I saw though. In the top post on this thread.

Not to mention I see this mentality inconsistently applied all the time. Regardless of wether or not it happened this morning or not.
If you're talking about the post about :ultbanjokazooie: fans having it easy it's not necessarily wrong. You could make several arguments about both their and Rare's significance in the N64 era but you'd be hard-pressed to get me to believe that fan demand isn't the number one reason they got in, and when it comes to Geno fan demand is pretty much all he's got.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

:p

I still think Terry/Kyo are our prime candidates. If we're talking gameplay wise then they'll obviously have command inputs with a super meter. The super meter can power up one of the special moves if it fills up and it uses the super version if inputted. An interesting question I have is if they'll retain the shotos' "always facing the opponent" ability or if they'll be like the other normal characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Congrats!

I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes the Water Temple, though it's hard to deny that boots-on-boots-off quickly gets tedious

The whole dungeon though is really well designed, and is part of a three in a row streak of really good dungeons in Zelda

Won't spoil the Water Temple but there's this one key that could give you grief as you could find yourself one short and not sure where to look for it
Is it actually possible to make it so the Water Temple is impossible to complete, due to a combination of the amount of keys available to you and the water level? I thought that was the case when I was growing up, but I feel like that might be an exaggeration.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Anyways, I've been seeing a whole lotta backlash when it comes to SNK in Smash. Apparently it's "ToO nIcHe" and it's "WaStInG a SlOt" or something

But come on, y'all. Sakurai's already spoiled us enough already with highly demanded characters like Ridley, K, Rool, Banjo, and delightful surprises like Joker. With all the fan service Ultimate has give us already, a couple niche picks ain't gonna hurt.

And SNK may not be a big name, but I'd argue they've got some notoriety. They were pretty much Capcom's biggest rival when it came to arcade fighters back in the day. And like I mentioned yesterday, with them being the minds behind the Neo Geo, we've technically got another console manufacturer on board

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is it actually possible to make it so the Water Temple is impossible to complete, due to a combination of the amount of keys available to you and the water level? I thought that was the case when I was growing up, but I feel like that might be an exaggeration.
No, its just one of the keys is pretty well hidden. If you're stuck I recommend you looking into a guide. It's one of those things that make you realize, "hey why I didn't try that?"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
SNK has never treated Haohmaru as a mascot. I don’t think he’s really even on the table.
the first mistake is underestimating your opponent

haohmaru ain't the star, but he's a player too. nakoruru is pretty much an equal IMO. i mean, you have played some samsho games right? :nifty:

D

Deleted member

Anyways, I've been seeing a whole lotta backlash when it comes to SNK in Smash. Apparently it's "ToO nIcHe" and it's "WaStInG a SlOt" or something

But come on, y'all. Sakurai's already spoiled us enough already with highly demanded characters like Ridley, K, Rool, Banjo, and delightful surprises like Joker. With all the fan service Ultimate has give us already, a couple niche picks ain't gonna hurt.

And SNK may not be a big name, but they for sure got some notoriety. They we're pretty much Capcom's biggest rival when it came to arcade fighters back in the day.
This roster of over 70 characters must all appeal to my experience with gaming and nostalgia or else it's **** and I'll go on twitter.com to make a callout post

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
As far as I know there's never a risk of that happening: the main problem you'll have is that there are multiple keys that can be used on multiple doors, but most people playing through on their first time will end up missing a key or two as they're hidden in awkward locations - they're always accessible though

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220

Wanna know something funny? I actually cleared the water temple on my first playthrough with no guides (despite generally being bad at puzzle solving and Zelda in general), but it took me two whole weeks to clear it. It was quite the saga alright.

D

Deleted member

I feel like Nakoruru has that balance between uniqueness (the counter/disarm/tactical gameplay, the bird) and implementation, but Terry has the iconicness while still differing enough playwise from Ken and Ryu. I could see Kyo but I'm not sure if they want Smash to be that technical yet.

samsho-kazooie
>Unique
>Counter

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
survey time, folks

when sabi says that the DMs going around (KoF character, male character) are fake, how many of y'all actually believe her

cause i'm 50/50 on it just being her covering herself legally in case nintendo start snooping

D

Deleted member

survey time, folks

when sabi says that the DMs going around (KoF character, male character) are fake, how many of y'all actually believe her

cause i'm 50/50 on it just being her covering herself legally in case nintendo start snooping
I don't believe her. I fully think she's covering her tracks after realizing she gave away too much info. I do believe ForsakenM though.

Maybe someone could find a visual discrepency with this picture I linked to and the one where she says it's not a female.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
survey time, folks

im on team "who cares"

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
survey time, folks

As far as I know she hasn't said anything about forsakenM's dm but I believe her when she says the other stuff is fake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom