• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Ash has been around for 20 years, constantly forgetting the most basic **** every new season, of course people are gonna get tired of that
I mean usually idiot heroes lose those idiot traits after a while (with those traits only showing up in filler or as part of a gag) instead of constantly having their intelligence rebooted at the beginning of every season by varying amounts just to maintain the status quo

Shroob

Sup?
I think people need to remember something:

You really don't have to buy the DLC if it doesn't appeal to you; Sakurai himself said to only buy it if you were super confident in what you were purchasing, which at the time was pretty much 5 unknowns if you got it day 1.

The DLC made 0 promises to appeal to the more hardcore Smash fandom, and even Reggie implied that the DLC would be targeting things you wouldn't expect.

If you bought the Fighter's Pass and are upset.... you were literally told not to unless you were 100% confident.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
As someone who didn't buy either DLC, being told my argument holds no water doesn't help me. Just because I have no interest in purchasing these characters doesn't mean I have to tolerate the notion behind them. I've been frustrated with their decisions on 4's roster choice within both base and DLC. I will admit Ultimate had a decent base roster overall, but that's one for so many disappointments, and I fear my current disinterest with most of the DLC will hamper my perspective drastically.

Shroob

Sup?
And I know how annoying it sounds:

"Well if you don't like it you don't have to buy it."

We've heard it all a million times.

But the literal creator of the series is telling you

"Hey, you don't have to buy this if you don't want to."

Everyone acts like if they don't Sakurai's going to blow their brains out.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Oh, but Todd Howard will if you don't buy Dovahkiin from Skyrim (available on the Nintendo Switch) as Fighter Pass 5

Shroob

Sup?
As someone who didn't buy either DLC, being told my argument holds no water doesn't help me. Just because I have no interest in purchasing these characters doesn't mean I have to tolerate the notion behind them. I've been frustrated with their decisions on 4's roster choice within both base and DLC. I will admit Ultimate had a decent base roster overall, but that's one for so many disappointments, and I fear my current disinterest with most of the DLC will hamper my perspective drastically.
I think you need to step back and ask yourself why this matters to you so much to start with.

Why do you feel the need to justify their notion of them to begin with?

You don't have to, and are being encouraged by the man himself, to not buy them if you're unhappy.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
What are you so frustrated about? That the roster isn't catering to your specific interests?

I mean if you weren't crazy about Ultimate's base roster that's fine (although it's objectively the best roster in the series right now) then you're free to have your opinion, but it seems like a silly thing to be so frustrated over.

D

Deleted member

I have gotten 0 characters I wanted and if Terry and Hayabusa are next, that number won't change but you don't see me whining about it because I can just choose not to buy it.

Shroob

Sup?
Sometimes I think people take characters getting in way too seriously.

It's a video game, people.

And then I remember a time where someone was equating 3rd parties as 'ruining the purity' of the series and I omega yikes

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Sometimes I think people take characters getting in way too seriously.

It's a video game, people.

And then I remember a time where someone was equating 3rd parties as 'ruining the purity' of the series and I omega yikes
smash bros character speculation: the most popular bloodsport worldwide

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
All that said, I'm never opposed to dreaming big if people can keep their expectations in check. It's possible to both want a specific character and still be understanding when things don't end up going your way.

I do however think it's wrong to have a mentality where you act like the only characters worth while are the ones you specifically decided needed to be in beforehand. Mindsets like that are both close-minded and set yourself up for inevitable disappointment (because let's be real, no matter who they pick it's impossible to make everyone happy).

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
It's crazy how a game with a base roster of 69+ characters still gets criticized for it's roster choices.

I know it's subjective and all but at this point you can't really say the overall roster is bad

D

Deleted member

You can say the roster doesn’t appeal to you, that’s totally cool. However, you shouldn’t get super upset if your favorite character isn’t added. There’s a lot of Smash Bros. fans. Nintendo/Sakurai/Bandai Namco etc. can’t appease everyone.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
the classic problem of "I want to buy things but nothing that exists is worth buying". tbh I've felt that way about my Switch for the last half a year. If the next direct doesn't change that I might just take up stamp collecting or something

Shroob

Sup?
the classic problem of "I want to buy things but nothing that exists is worth buying". tbh I've felt that way about my Switch for the last half a year. If the next direct doesn't change that I might just take up stamp collecting or something
I'm not trying to sound mean but, this is literally as first world problem as you can get.

"Man I wanna buy **** but there's nothing to burn money on."

As opposed to someone like me who's dead broke and in literal poverty

"Man, there's so much I wanna buy but I need to save every penny to live."

D

Deleted member

I think people need stop judging characters before they're added. A character is more then just a name and model, they've got a moveset, a playstyle. So rather then judging a character and going "they're not first party so they're bad", wait until they're shown off, see what they're like and whether or not they fit your playstyle.

Also remember that we don't even know if we're actually getting an SNK character yet, this could've just been a mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Since I have no attachment to any of the DLC, my only real way to judge them is based on their gameplay. Maybe unlike some of you, I don't think all the base newcomers were interesting moveset-wise. Some are more interesting, some are more boring. Then there are the echoes.

Most of the pre-release was me watching silently as characters I didn't care about got confirmed. I was a Daisy and K. Rool supporter, but neither of them were in my top 5, plus Daisy just turned out to be an echo. When I learned there would be less newcomers, I narrowed my wants down to Maxwell and Bandana Waddle Dee. I was never expecting Maxwell, but Dee has lots of worldwide popularity, and completes the main cast of one of Nintendo's bestselling series. Finding out he was just a spirit was both baffling and disheartening.

Learning about the fighter pass initially got me excited, but I was turned away learning it was probably third-parties only. None of my third-party picks were remotely likely. At that point, I didn't even bother predicting who could join the roster. You can tell me I should try out other games so I can care about the characters, but the only time I ever did something like that was playing EarthBound because of Ness.

That's why following this game has never been that thrilling to me. While there were some very popular picks added, it was only some of the newcomers, while other popular picks became Assist Trophies or just spirits.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I didn't get any of my personal favourite characters in Ultimate, like I got characters that I really like, but none that made go to the moon or something, which is fine. You can have fun supporting others character that you didn't care much before if you try to found more about them , their games and their fanbase, either by playing their games, going into website like TvTrope or watching videos and the like. I do that often, and I always feeling much better at said character inclusion than at the start of my research.

Not to say it's always going to 100% work, but hey, at least you have a better idea as to why said character got in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I didn't get any of my personal favourite characters in Ultimate, like I got characters that I really like, but none that made go to the moon or something, which is fine. You can have fun supporting others character that you didn't care much before if you try to found more about them , their games and their fanbase, either by playing their games, going into website like TvTrope or watching videos and the like. I do that often, and I always feeling much better at said character inclusion than at the start of my research.
ok unrelated but your pfp caught me off guard

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You joke about the stamp collecting thing but having hobbies (and lives general) outside of video games and speculation can be good for you.

inb4 people start responding to this post with "I feel called out".

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
ok unrelated but your pfp caught me off guard
What? You don't think my avi look BeaUtIFuL?

Also, for Dimitri's sake, the image uploader is dead again.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's absolutely fair to be bummed out at DLC not appealing to you, of course you can just choose to just not buy it, but everyone would rather get characters they're interested in than not. Doesn't mean you should throw a hissy fit about it of course (not sure if anyone has mind you, only just dumping in now), but people are allowed to be disappointed, I don't really like this mentality that people who aren't happy with every character that's included is in the wrong somehow.

It doesn't affect me personally, I got what I wanted in the base game and bought the Fighter's Pass just to get the full Ultimate experience, I love the game enough as is that I just want everything it has to offer, regardless of who or what is included from here on out. I still think people who are more invested in it than me are allowed to be disappointed though, and being disappointed in a newcomer doesn't mean you're being greedy or ungrateful just because what we already have is amazing, no one is obligated to feel a certain way about the content we're getting, the only thing I think that is required is that people don't express that disappointment in a distasteful manner.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
And I know how annoying it sounds:

"Well if you don't like it you don't have to buy it."

We've heard it all a million times.

But the literal creator of the series is telling you

"Hey, you don't have to buy this if you don't want to."

I'm betting Nintendo didn't like that--as an amoral business entity, they want as many people buying the DLC as possible, and is one of the reasons why they decided a season pass was the best business decision. They probably don't want a clear warning to some to avoid getting it. Sakurai, though, who's not a fan of the pass model, I believe, probably insisted on it. He didn't have to say that, and Nintendo probably would have preferred he didn't, but he did anyway.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
There hasn’t been a single Smash Bros. fighters that has disappointed me. I’m happy for the character’s fans, and I’m happy that the Smash team is trying their hardest to make fun and entertaining content, and that’s why I’m buying all fighters. I get more content, and in exchange they get some money for their hard work. I try to keep my expectations low so I can be pleasantly suprised.

D

Deleted member

Man this takes me back to Smash 4 in which literally nobody I wanted got in. Was still a cool game, although, I see why somebody would be extremely disappointed in the game overall.

It's hard to say get over it because I totally see where the disappointments coming for. Smash 4 just didn't personally appeal to me longterm wise as Brawl did. The only thing I think Smash 4 did hella right for it's roster were third parties and DLC. When you get me hype over Mewtwo, a sadboi, and a clone of Marth, I think you're doing something right. That's ignoring icons like Ryu, Cloud, and Bayo.

Ultimate's roster is kind of the same way. The DLC would decide how long I play this game, because the only newcomer I loved was K. Rool and Bomberman was an AT. Thankfully, we got Joker, Hero and Banjo with potentially an SNK fighter. Ultimate's not leaving my Switch for a while.

But if you don't like the DLC, then that's fine. Just don't buy it. If you did, let it be a lesson to not jump the gun with your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom