• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I unironically like Fallen Kingdom and the others.

I also knew Fallen Kingdom before Viva la Vida and now I still only care about its Minecraft parody even if the original also sounds nice.

and yes we don’t “need” any character, but it is a game after all.

we still need Skull Kid and Midna.

StormC

Smash Hero
Dixie and to a lesser extent Bandana Dee feel like the last Nintendo characters that seem "missing."

It's subjective of course, and everyone has different opinions on that (some might argue Toad, or a Rhythm Heaven character, or something else), but those are the two where I feel like they're both popular requests and have significant recurring roles in their series without a good reason for their absence at this point, besides the fact that other characters took priority.

Ultimate has done such an amazing job granting long-time requests that I'm perfectly fine with Sakurai going nuts and adding whoever the hell he wants.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dixie and to a lesser extent Bandana Dee feel like the last Nintendo characters that seem "missing."

It's subjective of course, and everyone has different opinions on that (some might argue Toad, or a Rhythm Heaven character, or something else), but those are the two where I feel like they're both popular requests and have significant recurring roles in their series without a good reason for their absence at this point, besides the fact that other characters took priority.

Ultimate has done such an amazing job granting long-time requests that I'm perfectly fine with Sakurai going nuts and adding whoever the hell he wants.
I'd add Toon Zelda to that as she's frequently used in Nintendo's advertising but outside of early Brawl development, hasn't been in Smash proper.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd add Toon Zelda to that as she's frequently used in Nintendo's advertising but outside of early Brawl development, hasn't been in Smash proper.
I don't really consider her missing because we already have Zelda as a character. Same reason I didn't mention Paper Mario or Ganon.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't really consider her missing because we already have Zelda as a character. Same reason I didn't mention Paper Mario or Ganon.
I hate saying this but

As much as I want Paper Mario, I want Paper Mario how he used to be.

If we got Paper Mario in Smash and he was based around stickers someone's getting a paddlin'.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’d love Toad, Skull Kid, Midna, Tingle, Bandana Dee, Dark Matter, Marx, Adeleine, Ninten, Porky, Bulborb, Louie, Alph (on his own), Plasm Wraith, Gengar, Raichu, Mimikyu, Team Rocket, and Wurmple as far as 1st/2nd parties. I’d also like Chorus Kids despite not playing their games, and some others.

but these ain’t gonna happen anytime soon, it seems. Maybe they will. Hopefully they will.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Toad (and to a lesser extent, Waluigi), Dixie, and Bandana Dee.

Those would be my main priorities for 1st Party characters because it's such a clear absence when those respective series treat them as a main cast member along with those we already have in Smash. It's so glaringly obvious I'm surprised they didn't make the cut from the jump.

But, I'm fine with what we have and grateful for the contributions of Sakurai and the team behind this project. They're doing the best they can.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Gonna be straight with ya.

I have about as much attachment to SNK as I do Dragon Quest or Persona 5, which is to say, none at all.

I still was and still am excited as all hell for these characters.

This community bunkers down around the same ten or so characters every game it feels like that when it's 'not' that.... Maybe it's just me but it feels like someone opened a window and left a nice breeze in.

I get it, everyone has characters that they want, I'm no different, but people need to not close themselves off to new ideas either.

Something something says a lot about our society something something
Yeah, with speculation one of the big problems is that while there's good reason we speculate on a certain set of characters, often we get so hyperfocused on a certain set of characters that we refuse to consider other options. We just kind of get stuck in our own mindset of what's 'likely' that we don't consider what else is possible, and we end up overlooking characters that when you think back on them make sense for why they were picked.

For instance, take the Gen 7 Pokemon debate from Ultimate's base game. We all agreed that a Gen 7 Pokemon was likely, but when it came down to thinking about the choices the popular choice was easily Decidueye. The majority agreed it would be the owl, and while he undoubtably would've been a great character, it wasn't uncommon for some to just warp the discussion into "Decidueye is the only choice". Incineroar was barely considered, it had great potential for a moveset itself and as a starter would be a viable candidate, but it didn't matter as some just stuck to Decidueye and locked out Incineroar and the others. So once Verge came into play and said "no, it's not Decidueye", that blindsided everyone as they felt it had to be it, and when it became clearer that it would be Incineroar that made the discussion more toxic around it. The same happened with characters like WFT, Rosalina, and Joker, they were viable candidates as well, but we didn't consider them because they didn't fit our idea of what was 'likely' or 'deserving', and we kept getting locked into situations where we were blindsided again and again.

That's why I agree it's important to not narrowly focus on just a few options, there are many out there that make sense and bring a lot to the table, and as Sakurai has shown time and time again he's more then willing to dig deep and bring out options that are not within the Smash bubble. Always look to see what other characters could be brought in, as even if they're not from a series you care for or are familiar with, that doesn't mean they aren't viable.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
There aren't really that many 1st party characters left I feel that are missing, but Dixie is definitely one of them - the DK series in Smash doesn't really feel complete without her. I guess BWD too: I've got no investment in the Kirby series, but would have no problem with it gaining another character.

Any other first parties I want are ones I really want but I wouldn't call necessary or missing - like one-off Zelda characters (Skull Kid, Midna), Paper Mario and ... Master Hand (okay, maybe I think a playable character from Smash itself is 'missing'). Otherwise the remainder of my most wanted are all third parties, excluding complete never evers like random Pokemon who have zero chance of getting in so I don't really consider in the first place

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Smash at this point is both a celebration of Nintendo's history and their franchises and characters they amassed, but now it's a crossover between many gaming characters that seems to extend that celebration of what was once Nintendo's to pretty much gaming itself and showing how diverse and unique every franchise can be.

I still feel as thought it's totally mostly a Nintendo crossover game, but we can't deny that a good portion of it is also welcoming of characters from many different franchises and backgrounds and this was a trait even among the Nintendo series themselves.

So yeah, just try to be humble and considerate of a new franchise and consider welcoming it before shunning it

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I wonder how long the snk trademark was there

Certainly there isnt some crazy man out there that checks the trademarks on smash dlc pages all day...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Is Terry that bad?
Any character who's not a fan favorite amongst Nintendo fans is somehow "bad" enough to be angry over with simply because they aren't one.

And even some Nintendo fan favorites are "bad" to, depending on who you ask.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
ngl by the end of this I can only really imagine buying Hero's individual pass and that's it unless fighter number five is something that really appeals to me

but that's okay though - Sakurai told us only to buy if we were fully confident in liking it

am glad at the least that this is a considerable shakeup to the fewer than a dozen names on cycle in speculation

and yeeting a bird at someone's face sounds fun

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I know it's kind of off-topic here, but I would like to make a short rant about the announcement for the announcement for 9.29, that happened in the Pokemon Anime latest episode (SM 137). Of course, I'm not saying what happened in the episode, it's merely about the announcement.

I keep reminding the peoples, but they don't listen at all. Pokemon Company wouldn't make such an outragerous choice at all. The japanese peoples are not even freaking out 'reboot', at least from what I saw. I don't think it's going to be a reboot.

There are now unironically peoples who hate Ash or want him to go away. He's already the face of the Pokemon anime community, he's not gonna go away, otherwise there will be less popularity.

Literally the same thing about yelling 'REBOOT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!' happened with the first DP and BW trailers because Satoshi was initially not present in the new covers. It's kind of irritating that peoples jump the gun on this.

At most it's going to be a spinoff to the new Sword and Shield anime, probably similar to Chronicles, or adapting Pokemon Masters, or a new movie, whose name was just a placeholder. At most it's just a misunderstanding.

I kind of don't wanna see the reboot, I want to see continuity; if a reboot happens, I might lose interest in the anime. I remember Bakugan anime having a reboot and it kind of wasn't the same afterward.

TL;DR: be patient, wait unill 9.29 instead of saying that it's going to be a proper reboot. It'll be just a spinoff or movie.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
There are now unironically peoples who hate Ash or want him to go away. He's already the face of the Pokemon anime community, he's not gonna go away, otherwise there will be less popularity.
Dude, there are people who hates him already.This isn't new.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Dude, there are people who hates him already.This isn't new.
Yes but I've seen more peoples wanting him to go away. Before the announcement or at least before SM, most of the Ash haters were just ****posters but now I see peoples saying their own opinions about strong hate for Ash.

I don't want to see Ash go away.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
To be perfectly honest, I don't understand why I should be happy if Banjo ends up being my only welcome addition for DLC. All that tells me is that they completely ignored any criticism of the last game's DLC tactics.

Shroob

Sup?
To be perfectly honest, I don't understand why I should be happy if Banjo ends up being my only welcome addition for DLC. All that tells me is that they completely ignored any criticism of the last game's DLC tactics.
What exactly was there to criticize last DLC?

Last game gave 3 veterans back that people wanted.

2 super iconic 3rd party characters, 1 being a 'never ever'

1 promotional pick, which is what you're allowed to complain about

and the ballot pick, which, love her or hate her, I'm on the hate side, she was the community's fault

Besides Corrin, there's nothing to criticize.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If people are still buying it then that means it certainly isn't any big criticism. We even got a decent amount of music and no clones so far too
Yes but I've seen more peoples wanting him to go away. Before the announcement or at least before SM, most of the Ash haters were just ****posters but now I see peoples saying their own opinions about strong hate for Ash.

I don't want to see Ash go away.
Ash has been around for 20 years, constantly forgetting the most basic **** every new season, of course people are gonna get tired of that

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
tfw you have no stake in any of these characters but one of them is a cute girl with a bird

1567421285851.png

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
and the ballot pick, which, love her or hate her, I'm on the hate side, she was the community's fault
ah yes the ballot winner they started developing 2 weeks after the ballot opened, that had basically no fan poll presence and was completely overshadowed in popularity and demand by every "fan poll bait" character revealed for Ultimate. somehow i'm sceptical Bayonetta wasn't scapegoated into being the ballot winner because they already knew they were using the ballot for Ultimate and needed to push someone already negotiated on as the overall winner.

it's not like this would be the only time Sakurai wasn't 100% honest about who got in as DLC and why, either.
>"This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo " https://www.nintendo-insider.com/sa...timate-dlc-characters-have-now-been-selected/
>Atlus: "This time, Joker will participate in Super Smash Bros. mainly because of the invitation from Sora Ltd.’s Masahiro Sakurai." https://personacentral.com/atlus-interview-joker-smash-p3-p4-projects-future/

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I don't mind an SNK rep though I'm not much of a fighting game guy

I'm just sad that potentially knowing fighter 4 means we can't have a fighter 4/5 Layton and Phoenix dual reveal

Sad times :(

Shroob

Sup?
ah yes the ballot winner they started developing 2 weeks after the ballot opened, that had basically no fan poll presence and was completely overshadowed in popularity and demand by every "fan poll bait" character revealed for Ultimate. somehow i'm sceptical Bayonetta wasn't scapegoated into being the ballot winner because they already knew they were using the ballot for Ultimate and needed to push someone already negotiated on as the overall winner.

it's not like this would be the only time Sakurai wasn't 100% honest about who got in as DLC and why, either.
>"This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo " https://www.nintendo-insider.com/sa...timate-dlc-characters-have-now-been-selected/
>Atlus: "This time, Joker will participate in Super Smash Bros. mainly because of the invitation from Sora Ltd.’s Masahiro Sakurai." https://personacentral.com/atlus-interview-joker-smash-p3-p4-projects-future/
Even if they lied, the fact of the matter is she's here now.

You can say she didn't win, which I believe, but it's not like that's going to rewrite history now is it?

Shroob

Sup?
Hey, how is Terry redneck Ken?
I mean, gameplay wise they play not at all alike, but even in official crossovers, he's Ken's rival probably due to how similar they are in appearance.

Two swole, blonde guys with Terry's difference being he's a trucker with a ponytail.

Not saying this hampers him at all.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Hey, how is Terry redneck Ken?
Haven't played the games, so I'm not saying this, but from what I've read, fire-based blonde fighting game character seems to be the reason.

When my friend, who likes the games, showed me a pic of him, my first thought was "buff redneck Ash Ketchum"

EDIT: Also, notably, as more of a fighting game fan than a Smash fan, when I mentioned Nakoruru, his first response was "Why couldn't it have been Terry"

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's less that you have to be happy and more just that it just isn't something worth getting your jimmies rustled over.

If only one character really appeals to you in the DLC...then oh well, just don't buy the rest of the DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom