• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
If you couldn't tell already, I'm very fond of snakes.

If you have a job specifically fighting them..... eh, that's gonna dock some points :yoshi:
I only fight the giant ones which will eat your babies if left unchecked. Strange. You’d think a monster the size of a building would eat something larger than human infants.

D

Deleted member

Everyone's talking about Nakoruru or Terry, but y'all are sleeping on Athena. SNK absolutely adores her. Asamiya Athena though, not goddess Athena, if Bayonetta and Corrin had to be censored already, she'd have no chance at all.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Welp today I threw myself in between a fight.

Well it was less of a "fight" and more of a guy attacking my dad who was trying to protect himself, but it was dark and chaotic and my first instinct was to throw myself in the middle and push them as far away from each other as I could. I think I accidentally knocked my dad onto his back but it did get him away from his attacker.

No one got seriously hurt aside from a few bruises but geez it's been a wild week for me.

If anything this has improved my self esteem though. I always figured I'd freeze like a deer in the headlights if a fight broke out like that, but it turns out I'm better then that.

Shroob

Sup?
Everyone's talking about Nakoruru or Terry, but y'all are sleeping on Athena. SNK absolutely adores her. Asamiya Athena though, not goddess Athena, if Bayonetta and Corrin had to be censored already, she'd have no chance at all.
Well I'm going to jail for Googling that.

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
Some Smash fans:

“All characters are valid! Be kind and respectful to other people’s character choices!”

Same Smash fans when someone who wants Steve comes by:

:mad088::ultsimon::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB:-

Shroob

Sup?
Some Smash fans:

“All characters are valid! Be kind and respectful to other people’s character choices!”

Tbh now that Banjo's in I don't think anyone would care if Steve gets in, everyone acted like the whole Banjo vs Steve debate was a life or death situation for Banjo.

StormC

Smash Hero
Some Smash fans:

I don't understand the Simon Belmont reference.

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
I don't understand the Simon Belmont reference.
It’s ‘cause they’re angrily throwing axes.

It’s not meant as a reference, just as a reaction.

But I guess I could’ve posted a disgusted face instead, but mobile is annoying.

Luckily they’re all outnumbered but they’re still frickin annoying.

Tbh now that Banjo's in I don't think anyone would care if Steve gets in, everyone acted like the whole Banjo vs Steve debate was a life or death situation for Banjo.
Believe me, there are still annoying jerks who crap on Steve fans and ignore his popularity, or call his fans lame or whatever.

it doesn’t help that no one here cares unless it’s SNK or some other character that’s being made fun of

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Evil Steve basically ruined the public's perception of Steve and his fanbase. It's not dissimilar to Waluigi.

IMO by the time we get to Smash 6 it will cool off and nobody will really bat an eye at Steve discussion/support.

Shroob

Sup?
Evil Steve basically ruined the public's perception of Steve and his fanbase. It's not dissimilar to Waluigi.

IMO by the time we get to Smash 6 it will cool off and nobody will really bat an eye at Steve discussion/support.
You can thank Grinch Leak for that one. That whole narrative turned Steve into some evil mastermind.

StormC

Smash Hero
You can thank Grinch Leak for that one. That whole narrative turned Steve into some evil mastermind.
Trolls posting ugly Steve didn't help though. People on /v/ literally roleplayed a heel to rile up Smash/Banjo fans. They organized raids and ****.

Ugly Steve precedes Grinch Leak I'm pretty sure. I think it first got traction when Hitagi claimed Steve would be in.

Of course, Hitagi also said there would be no Atlus rep...

TheCJBrine

Pranked!

I don’t understand why he ruined it though.

It was clearly a minority of 4chan trolls or simple jokes.

Plus there’s still nearly 1k following the SteveForSmash twitter and over 120k likes on the animated Steve moveset video on YouTube.

why didn’t they treat the render as an imposter and have real Steve with Banjo, Banjo even has an official Minecraft skin like goodness.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Plus there’s still nearly 1k following the SteveForSmash twitter and over 120k likes on the animated Steve moveset video on YouTube.

why didn’t treat the render as an imposter and have real Steve with Banjo, Banjo even had an official Minecraft skin like goodness.
Ya ever heard the saying that all it takes is 1 bad egg to spoil a dozen?

Yeah.

That one bad egg tarnished the public's perception of him just like 2 douchebags threatening to kill Sakurai ruined Waluigi's.

StormC

Smash Hero

why didn’t they treat the render as an imposter and have real Steve with Banjo, Banjo even had an official Minecraft skin like goodness.
The perception that Minecraft is cringy doesn't help though. Not a lot of people are going to go to bat for Steve and Minecraft because they'll be accused of being a troll/zoomer/whatever.

I'm not saying it's fair, but toxic behaviors of a few people can warp public perception fast. We've seen this time and time again with fanbases of popular characters like K. Rool/Ridley/Banjo/Waluigi/Geno. Even more mildmannered Steve supporters would sometimes go into Twitter threads saying stuff like "Banjo isn't getting in, deal with it." False confidence is a good way to get marked a pariah when it blows up in your face.

Shroob

Sup?

Yeah.

That one bad egg tarnished the public's perception of him just like 2 douchebags threatening to kill Sakurai ruined Waluigi's.
Of course, now that I think of it, Waluigi was doomed from the start.

The minute that he was shown to be an assist trophy and people speculating that "Sakurai was trolling them"

Yeah, the whole fanbase was ****ing doomed.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Spamming copypasta memes in response to people not knowing a character that is supposedly very well known and important to gaming history isn't, uh, a very good argument for them being deserving characters. Hell, the hoes mad thing caught on because there wasn't anything DQ-appropriate that people knew about to spam. The "fools begone" screencap is a tiny bit better because it actually relates to something from the series. You didn't see this kind of thing with Joker or Banjo Kazooie because people actually recognize them, whether or not they liked the characters.

tl;dr hoes don't even know who you are, don't be mad about it
You wasted your time writing this post when you could be playing Metal Slug X right now

smh

TheCJBrine

Pranked!

Yeah.

I didn’t get the Waluigi thing, either.

This community has a horrible habit of spreading misinfo and making extreme judgements, and not actually reading stuff.

The perception that Minecraft is cringy doesn't help though. Not a lot of people are going to go to bat for Steve and Minecraft because they'll be accused of being a troll/zoomer/whatever.

I'm not saying it's fair, but toxic behaviors of a few people can warp public perception fast. We've seen this time and time again with fanbases of popular characters like K. Rool/Ridley/Banjo/Waluigi/Geno. Even more mildmannered Steve supporters would sometimes go into Twitter threads saying stuff like "Banjo isn't getting in, deal with it." False confidence is a good way to get marked a pariah when it blows up in your face.
I don’t get why people judge it as cringe. A lot of stuff in this fanbase seems much more cringe to me. It’s not any worse than literally every other fanbase. The toxic Minecraft fans mainly reside in pvp servers or are just immature from what I’ve seen, so it’s like Smash haha.

Banjo fans would also insult polite Steve fans that said nothing bad about Banjo :/ but yeah I guess all the other fanbases had bad eggs too...but nobody seems to have cared, though I wasn’t here to experience whatever some K. Rool and Ridley fans may have done...

I honestly just find it stupid to judge something based off of a few fans without even actually experiencing much at all, and it’s silly to assume everyone is the same anyway. Honestly I’ve been angry at a few things but I’ve never let it cloud my judgement.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It makes sense, Nintendo i putting the leakers out of business by doing it themselves.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don’t get why people judge it as cringe. A lot of stuff in this fanbase seems much more cringe to me. It’s not any worse than literally every other fanbase.

Banjo fans would also insult polite Steve fans that said nothing bad about Banjo :/ but yeah I guess all the other fanbases had bad eggs too...but nobody seems to have cared, though I wasn’t here to experience whatever some K. Rool and Ridley fans may have done...

I honestly just find it stupid to judge something based off of a few fans without even actually experienced much at all. Honestly I’ve been angry at a few things but I’ve never let it cloud my judgement.
I'm talking about Minecraft specifically. It's viewed as cringe because it's popular with kids... I think. There's a lot to unpack there.

The toxic and obnoxious behavior of Banjo fans got swept under the rug because frankly speaking, Banjo got in. They were vindicated. Otherwise they'd probably be excommunicated by the Smash fandom. The behavior of a lot of posters in the Banjo thread in the 40 minutes between Hero and Banjo's reveal was downright embarrassing, but now they're the fans of a character that's already in the game. History tends to be kind to the winners.

Also, quite a few people here complained about how K. Rool and Ridley fans acted after Smash 4. Ridley's thread got locked because of constant arguing.

Is it fair? No, but people tend to view groups as guilty by association. It's human nature.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I didn’t get the Waluigi thing, either.

This community has a horrible habit of spreading misinfo and making extreme judgements, and not actually reading stuff.

I don’t get why people judge it as cringe. A lot of stuff in this fanbase seems much more cringe to me. It’s not any worse than literally every other fanbase.

I honestly just find it stupid to judge something based off of a few fans without even actually experienced much at all. Honestly I’ve been angry at a few things but I’ve never let it cloud my judgement.
I like Minecraft as much as the next guy, but it's popularity is its downfall.

When something's cringe in a more, smaller fanbase, it's usually goes under a radar.

Minecraft videos still get millions of views, for better or worse at times, and for every interesting video, you get weird Minecraft sex mod thumbnails or song parodies(Which let's be honest are not good).

Creeper?

Awww man

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
I'm talking about Minecraft specifically. It's viewed as cringe because it's popular with kids... I think. There's a lot to unpack there.

The toxic and obnoxious behavior of Banjo fans got swept under the rug because frankly speaking, Banjo got in. They were vindicated. Otherwise they'd probably be excommunicated by the Smash fandom. The behavior of a lot of posters in the Banjo thread in the 40 minutes between Hero and Banjo's reveal was downright embarrassing, but now they're the fans of a character that's already in the game. History tends to be kind to the winners.

Also, quite a few people here complained about how K. Rool and Ridley fans acted after Smash 4. Ridley's thread got locked because of constant arguing.

Is it fair? No, but people tend to view groups as guilty by association. It's human nature.
I guess so.

If people think Minecraft is cringe because of its younger players, which all games have, though, that’s sad.

When something's cringe in a more, smaller fanbase, it's usually goes under a radar.

Minecraft videos still get millions of views, for better or worse at times, and for every interesting video, you get weird Minecraft sex mod thumbnails or song parodies(Which let's be honest are not good).

Creeper?

Awww man
I haven’t seen those kinds of thumbnails; except one a long time ago, which I wish I never saw :S but this kinda stuff is in every fanbase. Like, I don’t see many people acting the same way towards Sonic and Pokémon...series I like, btw, I’m just saying...

And I honestly like Minecraft parodies, though mainly the ones like CaptainSparklez’s.

But, I don’t think its popularity is its downfall.

Honestly, all of the haters are a minority. There’s already evidence that most people would like/love Steve in Smash or are open to the idea, based on YouTube likes and stuff, and of course they’re far outnumbered by fans. I guess I just still find them annoying when I come across them because they’re frickin stupid and loud.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
This would be an entirely different conversation if Steve was revealed at E3. Banjo fans would be mocked and namecalled until the end of days.

Just look at how much fanart got pumped out making fun of Ashley after her deconfirmation in August last year.

The Smash fanbase loves to taunt the loser, even if the loser isn't actually deconfirmed.

Someone drew this after E3... and of course K. Rool and Banjo were eventually confirmed anyway. There's similar art mocking Banjo post-Grinch.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Minecraft and Fortnite seem to get a lot of accusations for being cingey--both very big, newish titles, with a large audience of naturally cringey kids. And when something is insanely popular, it's typical for people to hate it because it's popular. While I don't play Minecraft, I do play Fortnite and I understand the hate it gets despite enjoying it myself.

(Helps that it's free--if it weren't I wouldn't be playing it)

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
Minecraft and Fortnite seem to get a lot of accusations for being cingey--both very big, newish titles, with a large audience of naturally cringey kids. And when something is insanely popular, it's typical for people to hate it because it's popular. While I don't play Minecraft, I do play Fortnite and I understand the hate it gets despite enjoying it myself.

(Helps that it's free--if it weren't I wouldn't be playing it)
I guess there are people that hate Smash for similar reasons...

I still find it to be dumb.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Maybe I only think this way since I'm already a character loyalist, but I think Smash Brothers already has a lot of awesome characters and anyone else is a bonus.

That's why despite being a "sheltered Nintendrone", I'm not really bothered by the focus shifting towards 3rd parties in the slightest. We already have Nintendo's most important and iconic characters and then some. We don't need side characters like Dixie Kong, Geno or Midna, we just want them.

So if the DLC characters end up being ones I've never had any personal attachments to (which seems to be the direction it's going in), then I still say "sure, why not?"

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe I only think this way since I'm already a character loyalist, but I think Smash Brothers already has a lot of awesome characters and anyone else is a bonus.

That's why despite being a "sheltered Nintendrone", I'm not really bothered by the focus shifting towards 3rd parties in the slightest. We already have Nintendo's most important and iconic characters and then some. We don't need side characters like Dixie Kong, Geno or Midna, we just want them.

So if the DLC characters end up being ones I've never had any personal attachments to (which seems to be the direction it's going in), then I still say "sure, why not?"
If only more people had this mindset.

StormC

Smash Hero
I just want one more mid-tier win.

In the base game for Ultimate, :ultridley::ultkrool: were my big hype-inducing wins.

:ultsimon::ultrichter: were a mid-tier "heck yeah!" addition, despite being apprehensive about Castlevania content before. Sakurai totally won me over. (:ultincineroar: would be the mid-tier addition but his inclusion was a bit marred by all the Grinch controversy. Once that calmed down though it was fine lol.)

:ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie: are big hype inducers for DLC. So just something for me to chew on for fighter #5 is all I hope for. No biggie if not, Ultimate catered to me massively as is, I'm okay with others getting their chance, but one last round would be nice before the end.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Well we're what, about 7 or 6 hours until Nintendo would announce a Direct for Tuesday?

I don't expect one until Wednesday or Thursday but,

Hey, it's coming soon, it's just a matter of time now.

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
I’ll be honest.

I guess that, despite fans being a majority, the haters just always bug me.

And also worry me, because while fans are still a majority, I really want Steve and Alex to be used more like Link or Ness or whatever similar Nintendo character personality-wise (maybe Hero is a better example even if he’s not Nintendo, though Link works in some cases; Ness has a bit of personality in his game though (still vague) so maybe Ninten but he’s not in Smash...), since Mojang seems to only be using them in merchandise and some artwork and update stuff, but new books and the movie (and Dungeons) seem to be getting random new dudes without as much as a reference to Steve and Alex as far as I know, despite all of the fan stuff made for them, their own merch and having them as faces for their game, and once having Steve as the main character in the 2011 Minecon trailer and having him crossover with Super Meatboy (albeit he was called Mr. Minecraft for that).

I’m just worried. I only know of at least one Mojang dude seemingly liking the idea of Steve for Smash (along with Maxwell), a Switch Edition dev liking the idea of him or a Creeper in Smash, and some official(?) dudes at a LEGO place building him with a Smash invitation, but I don’t know any of their actual opinions on Steve himself except for one person who didn’t like him and she wanted the skeleton for Smash.

I realize this could be seen as silly but I really care.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion

Creeper?

Awww man
This is Fallen Kingdom erasure and I will not stand for it.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Only speaking for myself, but it's easier to think that when all of my characters are in. Really the only character I really care about not in yet is Crash. Everyone else (Sora, Dante) are characters I like the idea of, but don't care about. And my dream pick got in. So it's easy for me to say "I don't care who's left, I'm just enjoying the ride."

And I disagree with the distinction between need/want. We don't need any specific character, they're all characters people want. And yeah, I'd really want DIxie, especially since Metroid got two villains, one an echo, in Ultimate's base, and Dixie being the last big DK rep feels like an oversight, particularly since she was a previously considered character. We don't need Isaac, but the absence of big GBA characters, especially one that defined the system early on, still seems like a big niche ready to be filled. And it's hard to have 3/4 of the Mario Quad Squad--Waluigi is dismissed as a meme character, but many people genuinely consider him missing.

I'm set, but I can easily understand why many are not.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well we're what, about 7 or 6 hours until Nintendo would announce a Direct for Tuesday?

I don't expect one until Wednesday or Thursday but,

Hey, it's coming soon, it's just a matter of time now.
Depends on wether it's Nintendo America or Nintendo Japan's jo to announce this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom