• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
we're really getting a repeat of the base roster with the DLC, huh. they already showed off the big guns so now it's the inevitable disappointment. you can claim they're important to gaming history all you like, that doesn't make them interesting or well-known. we say something that is done for or dead "is history" for a reason.
I mean, that's really your opinion.

A SNK character would resonate with not only a lot of regions of the world like Latin America, but also the wider FGC at large. Characters not being known in the speculation scene doesn't discredit them.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
A SNK character would resonate with not only a lot of regions of the world like Latin America, but also the wider FGC at large.
you mean the FGC that disowns Smash as a fighting game at any given opportunity? that Ryu and Ken already catered to?

Shroob

Sup?
you mean the FGC that disowns Smash as a fighting game at any given opportunity? that Ryu and Ken already catered to?
Yes, that one.

I know my friend from Mexico is losing his absolute **** over an SNK character right now on Discord and has been talking my absolute ear off about all the different characters it could be.

It's just as Scoliosis said earlier, just because you didn't consider them doesn't make them a bad choice.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It turns out that people who play Smash have varied tastes in characters and different companies resonate with different regions and cultures.

Also, seriously folks, SNK has like their entire classic catalogue on the Switch. You could pick up Garou Mark Of The Wolves or Metal Slug X right now if you wanted to.

Maybe this next rep isn't for you, but for me or my roommate or our friend in Mexico, this is one of the most hype things they could have pulled off. I know I'm really looking forward to the Mexican reaction videos if it really is an SNK character. As has been said, put some respect on its name and you might find something you never knew you wanted.

Shroob

Sup?
It turns out that people who play Smash have varied tastes in characters and different companies resonate with different regions and cultures.

Also, seriously folks, SNK has like their entire classic catalogue on the Switch. You could pick up Garou Mark Of The Wolves or Metal Slug X right now if you wanted to.

Maybe this next rep isn't for you, but for me or my roommate or our friend in Mexico, this is one of the most hype things they could have pulled off. I know I'm really looking forward to the Mexican reaction videos if it really is an SNK character. As has been said, put some respect on its name and you might find something you never knew you wanted.
I mean, I hate to bring up a stereotype of "Mexican people love SNK", but my friend from Mexico actually admits it's true and always talks about how the arcades are full of SNK machines lmao.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
As much as I'd love to get it announced tomorrow, Tuesday/Wednesday for an announcement, with Wednesday being the final day it could be announced.

Tomorrow is ideal but too soon.
Maybe but it being earlier could explain all the leaks lately.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean the Smash scene is to blame for that due to infamously bad hygiene, refusing to try any other games, whining that they don't get to have 2 games at EVO, playing an old ass game that for many people has gotten stale, screaming about Guilty Gear tournaments running late potentially making Smash run 5 minutes and disregarding reservations for a DoA thing at Apex so they could just play Smash more

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
SNK isn't for everyone, and I'm sure we'll see that more clearly if that's who are next character will be from.

Regardless of what's said, it's okay to be a little disappointed. No one should feel pressured or obligated to like a character just because everyone else is excited, and this thread doesn't always do the best job of reminding people that.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I hate to bring up a stereotype of "Mexican people love SNK", but my friend from Mexico actually admits it's true and always talks about how the arcades are full of SNK machines lmao.
Lol, you just made me realize I'm an awful Mexican due to not being very familiar with SNK. Still I welcome it.

Shroob

Sup?
It's perfectly fine to be disinterested or so-so towards the next characters(s)

But to say they're not 'deserving' is huge bias.

Characters like Hero or the SNK character never crossed my mind, but they weren't 'for' me to begin with, that's what Banjo was for, the hardcore Smash fans.

To flat out discredit them as 'not important' is the biggest of "BRUH" moments.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I've never played an SNK game in my life, but Terry Bogard in Smash? That'd be pretty hype, honestly. I'm just excited to hear that Banjo is close and we have another potential reveal soon.

Also wow, 30+ pages in one day? Damn, it's like old times again. Though I'm not reading all that, lol.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Characters like Hero or the SNK character never crossed my mind, but they weren't 'for' me to begin with, that's what Banjo was for, the hardcore Smash fans.

But Shroooooooooob the franchise that inspired Smash doesn't deserve to have anything to do with Smash!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
SNK isn't for everyone, and I'm sure we'll see that more clearly if that's who are next character will be from.

Regardless of what's said, it's okay to be a little disappointed. No one should feel pressured or obligated to like a character just because everyone else is excited, and this thread doesn't always do the best job of reminding people that.
There's nothing wrong with being disappointed or not being very excited for a rep. That's fine. I wasn't really excited for the potential of Ryu Hayabusa at first. But the difference is I respected him and his origins and what he could bring to the table.

People just saying "SNK isn't important" or "Wow, this literal who is gonna be so lame!" is toxic and stupid and ignores 40 years of history as well as the potential new audience (again, something Nintendo has specifically said they want with this pass) that a rep would bring in.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
But Shroooooooooob the franchise that inspired Smash doesn't deserve to have anything to do with Smash!
"Beating people at an SNK game made me feel bad, so I made Smash!"
And now he can put a character from an SNK game into Smash and make most of his playerbase feel bad. Amazing.

Shroob

Sup?
Untitled.png

You only have yourself to blame if you bought the Fighter's Pass and are unhappy, they told you straight up "If you're not willing to be happy with what we give ya, don't buy it".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
And now he can put a character from an SNK game into Smash and make most of his playerbase feel bad. Amazing.
Lmao what a reach. I've seen positive opinions on an SNK character everywhere except on this hell site, due to it's legacy, the Smash inspiration in terms of crossovers and mechanics and people just liking SNK games. There's another reason Smash fans rarely get respect, anything out of their bubble is deemed objectively bad stuff that nobody wants, like what you're doing

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You do realize that Smashdown is blatantly inspired by KOF

and that KOF as the original crossover fighter inspired Smash's crossover nature right

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

"King of Fighters may have influenced Sakurai in creating the original Smash Bros, but they're not deserving."

EDIT: ****, I got :ultgreninja: while looking for the article. I gotta stop doing that.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's nothing wrong with being disappointed or not being very excited for a rep. That's fine. I wasn't really excited for the potential of Ryu Hayabusa at first. But the difference is I respected him and his origins and what he could bring to the table.

People just saying "SNK isn't important" or "Wow, this literal who is gonna be so lame!" is toxic and stupid and ignores 40 years of history as well as the potential new audience (again, something Nintendo has specifically said they want with this pass) that a rep would bring in.
SNK isn't exactly a household name, so the criticism isn't a huge shock to me. People are naturally going to like characters they know and dislike those they don't. Even with its long history, SNK is still unfamiliar to a lot of people.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
SNK isn't exactly a household name, so the criticism isn't a huge shock to me. People are naturally going to like characters they know and dislike those they don't. Even with its long history, SNK is still unfamiliar to a lot of people.
That's on them considering all their **** is on the eshop and this year's EVO alone. Even my irl friends who whine about Fire Emblem and Minecraft went "Yo SNK? Holy ****"

Shroob

Sup?
I mean:

Neither is Joker Personaman

Neither is Hero Dragonquester

The benefits of being a-ok with literally anything.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Don't be a **** about a character you don't know or like making the cut.

On the same token, don't make people who are uninformed feel belittled because they don't know of a character. That's simply pompous.

Continue.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Nintendo: "The DLC is to bring in new audiences but we'll also offer a DLC character who nobody will know outside of hardcore Nintendo fans during the 90's"
Nintendo fans: "ok but what is SNK? I know a lot about the FGC because I only watch Smash and I never heard of them"

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Then like

Go buy one of their many games which are all conveniently available on the eShop or Steam. SNK has been a major dark horse pick for the pass because they have been supporting the Switch since day one, and publicly at that.

Grab a friend and play Metal Slug X co-op for a bit, or download Garou Mark of the Wolves. You might be surprised and find something new and fun to play.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Western smash fans be like: Eww why is SNK, this totally IRRELEVANT. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SNK!!!!

Western smash fans after the reveal be like: BASED SAKURAI TERRY AND RICHTER BEING CUTE BOY FWIEDNS UwU AHAHA LOOKING KINDA COOL JOKER KIRBY IS SO PURE POYO POYOOOOOO KIRBY WITH GUN LOOOOL KING OF FIGHTERS IS THE BEST GAME I'VE PLAYED ALL OF THEM HOES MAD LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Western smash fans be like: Eww why is SNK, this totally IRRELEVANT. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SNK!!!!

Western smash fans after the reveal be like: BASED SAKURAI TERRY AND RICHTER BEING CUTE BOY FWIEDNS UwU AHAHA LOOKING KINDA COOL JOKER KIRBY IS SO PURE POYO POYOOOOOO KING OF FIGHTERS IS THE BEST GAME I'VE PLAYED ALL OF THEM HOES MAD LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
mfw people get mad after SNK brings the heat

Shroob

Sup?

Western smash fans after the reveal be like: BASED SAKURAI TERRY AND RICHTER BEING CUTE BOY FWIEDNS UwU AHAHA LOOKING KINDA COOL JOKER KIRBY IS SO PURE POYO POYOOOOOO KING OF FIGHTERS IS THE BEST GAME I'VE PLAYED ALL OF THEM HOES MAD LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Gotta love how:

Before E3: GOD I HOPE IT'S NOT ERDRICK LITERALLY WHO JAPAN PICK

After E3: LMAO HOES MAD HOES MAD

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's funny as hell to me that time and time again people show that a lot of Smash fans don't always talk about **** that'd be cool yet be it a leak or a rumour, people can go "oh **** that's honestly cool as hell". It's a good thing as it shows that people want more than the same 4 characters

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's funny as hell to me that time and time again people show that a lot of Smash fans don't always talk about **** that'd be cool yet be it a leak or a rumour, people can go "oh **** that's honestly cool as hell". It's a good thing as it shows that people want more than the same 4 characters
To be honest I'm pretty cool with whoever they add at this point. Their combat designers have demonstrated time and time again that they'll make dope stuff regardless of what character they're tasked with implementing. 3rd Party characters are a great opportunity for unique mechanics, as evidenced by the 3 DLC fighters we've already seen so far.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Spamming copypasta memes in response to people not knowing a character that is supposedly very well known and important to gaming history isn't, uh, a very good argument for them being deserving characters. Hell, the hoes mad thing caught on because there wasn't anything DQ-appropriate that people knew about to spam. The "fools begone" screencap is a tiny bit better because it actually relates to something from the series. You didn't see this kind of thing with Joker or Banjo Kazooie because people actually recognize them, whether or not they liked the characters.

tl;dr hoes don't even know who you are, don't be mad about it

Shroob

Sup?
But Gwendolyn, this isn't a....

*Checks notes*

Character that my thread's been talking about since Brawl. How can I even CONSIDER stanning for this LITERAL WHO that NO ONE knows(Despite years and years of games but that's not important since I don't know them!!!)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I get that negativity can be annoying sometimes, but a majority of this page has been mostly poking fun at people disappointed with SNK.

If you want more people to give SNK a chance, maybe try respecting the opinions of the users who don't like it (including the ones who make nastier comments) instead of dogpiling on them with rebuttals until you chase them off?

Shroob

Sup?
I get that negativity can be annoying sometimes, but a majority of this page has been mostly poking fun at people disappointed with SNK.

If you want more people to give SNK a chance, maybe try respecting the opinions of the users who don't like it (including the ones who make nastier comments) instead of dogpiling on them with rebuttals until you chase them off?
We're more than okay with saying you're disappointed or not interested.

When ya start flinging around words like "Literal who" or "Not deserving"

Well, I mean on a meta-physical level, no one really 'deserves' anything.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Spamming copypasta memes in response to people not knowing a character that is supposedly very well known and important to gaming history isn't, uh, a very good argument for them being deserving characters. Hell, the hoes mad thing caught on because there wasn't anything DQ-appropriate that people knew about to spam. The "fools begone" screencap is a tiny bit better because it actually relates to something from the series. You didn't see this kind of thing with Joker or Banjo Kazooie because people actually recognize them, whether or not they liked the characters.

tl;dr hoes don't even know who you are, don't be mad about it
Hoes Mad was just a popular meme at the time, you saw Fire Emblem fans spam it when people whined at Nintendo acknowledging 3H too. No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom