• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
He’s talking about it’s character count compared to other series (like Fire Emblem. For example). In his eyes, Metroid is a far more important series and it’s lacking in representation.
Metroid's character situation is honestly very solid right now. You have :ultsamus:, the main protagonist, :ultridley:, her archnemesis, and :ultdarksamus:, the main antagonist to a very popular and notable subseries in the franchise. Throw in :ultzss: for another unique moveset and you got its major bases covered.

Sylux is really the only character who could be added, but he's currently coasting on two minor appearances and a promise for something greater right now so the franchise is not in dire need of his addition.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Metroid doubled its character count. What are you talking about?
Ridley's okay.

Power Suit Samus Aran sucks s**t and is, imo, an insult to the potential fighter she should be. Mii Gunner is Samus should have been portrayed(just add Morph Ball).

Dark Samus is just a copy-pasted Echo Fighter that shpuld have had, at least, one custom move to seperate her.

Was Zero Suit Samus Aran really warranted at all? And why rocket heels?

Honestly it should have just been Power Suit Samus, Dark Samus, & Ridley.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Metroid's character situation is honestly very solid right now. You have :ultsamus:, the main protagonist, :ultridley:, her archnemesis, and :ultdarksamus:, the main antagonist to a very popular and notable subseries in the franchise. Throw in :ultzss: for another unique moveset and you got its major bases covered.

Sylux is really the only character who could be added, but he's currently coasting on two minor appearances and a promise for something greater right now so the franchise is not in dire need of his addition.
As a counter, the series still has plenty of characters that make for unique moveset potential. Gandrayda and Rhundus off the top of my head. But I’m sure there are more. And Sakurai doesn’t care about “reps”. He just does what he thinks is cool.

Sound familiar?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not to mention they clear attention to fan demand for the game overall. Sure zelda could use another character but young link was still popular.
Zelda gets a lot of love through items and stages, but it's more than a little confusing how the latest Zelda newcomer comes from a 2002 Gamecube game. Over 15 years of Zelda content, and Sakurai didn't feel like anyone was worth adding to the roster?

Midna would've been perfect, and had she gotten in Brawl, Sakurai might've tried harder to add characters from more recent Zelda games.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
To be fair, it'd be hard to add more Metroid characters even if it had Mario or Pokémon's popularity. Add Sylux to the roster and you'd have practically every notable and realistic character that could get in Smash.

He's not wrong about Zelda though. Plenty of characters to choose from.
It's not about adding more characters. Zelda can work with only the Triforce Trinity + Impa.
It's how the existing characters are portrayed in the game.

Compared the cast to Hyrule Warriors. What do you say?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ridley's okay.

Power Suit Samus Aran sucks s**t and is, imo, an insult to the potential fighter she should be. Mii Gunner is Samus should have been portrayed(just add Morph Ball).

Dark Samus is just a copy-pasted Echo Fighter that shpuld have had, at least, one custom move to seperate her.

Okay. I was trying to defend you but.... now you’re just talking nonsense.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Zelda gets a lot of love through items and stages, but it's more than a little confusing how the latest Zelda newcomer comes from a 2002 Gamecube game. Over 15 years of Zelda content, and Sakurai didn't feel like anyone was worth adding to the roster?

Midna would've been perfect, and had she gotten in Brawl, Sakurai might've tried harder to add characters from more recent Zelda games.
Masahiro “Not the main 3? That’s a no from me” Sakurai has different ideas about Zelda representation.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Onkay. What didn't you like about what I said?
A) Zero Suit Samus is here because everyone is here. She may be a remnant if a long gone gimmick from Brawl. But that’s why she’s here.
B) I will never understand why people ***** so much about echo Fighters not being unique. Sure, she had potential. But Sakurai decided to do her as an echo to save resources and time. Just be happy you have her all.
C) I still don’t understand what you meant about the Mii Gunner because as far as I can tell, they have nearly identical movesets.
D) taking issue with HOW the characters are done is nothing new, but it’s also frivolous complaining because nothing will ever be done about it. Ganondorf just got a sword, but only in his Smash attacks. When he’s got a moveset for a character, it’s locked in place till the end of time.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Masahiro “Not the main 3? That’s a no from me” Sakurai has different ideas about Zelda representation.
I don't know what Sakurai's reasoning is for not adding more Zelda characters, but I doubt it has anything to do with "Only the main 3. Nobody else." Reminds me of the beginning of Smash 4 when everyone thought Mario of all things had reached it's max capacity because we had the 4 main characters and didn't "need" anyone else. Then December came, and we got one of the newest additions to the Mario family as a newcomer.

If I had to take a guess, bad timing is probably the biggest cause, as both TP and BotW were getting released at an awkward time in Brawl and Ultimate's development respectively. I'm not gonna give Sakurai a total pass on the lack of Zelda characters because of this, but at least it makes it easier to understand why two highly successful games didn't get anyone on the roster.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We're really back on the "Let's dig up old dirt from more than 10 years ago" train, huh? Although this time its Funimation.

Literally wholux
Don't do that to my boy. He had sick health stealing tech. Also Hunters was fun as hell to me so Sylux or Weavil showing up in a game again is pretty clean.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Out of curiosity, are switch games/jrpgs practically the only types of games discussed here? As in, when stuff like Borderlands 3, Death Stranding, Gears 5, and Cyberpunk drop, you won’t hear a peep about it here?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Out of curiosity, are switch games/jrpgs practically the only types of games discussed here? As in, when stuff like Borderlands 3, Death Stranding, Gears 5, and Cyberpunk drop, you won’t hear a peep about it here?
It's a social thread, so you can discuss whatever you want here. (as long as it follows the forum rules) It's just that one thing that most of us have in common is that we own Switches, so Switch games are probably going to generate the most discussion. Still, there's no harm in talking about Borderlands 3, Death Stranding, or what have you.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's a social thread, so you can discuss whatever you want here. (as long as it follows the forum rules) It's just that one thing that most of us have in common is that we own Switches, so Switch games are probably going to generate the most discussion. Still, there's no harm in talking about Borderlands 3, Death Stranding, or what have you.
As an official #gatekeepertm I will personally ensure the only topics discussed are topics that interest me and me alone.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
still waiting for the day people realize smash isn't some gaming history museum and that whoever gets in is whoever the hell Sakurai thinks would be cool
I wouldn't say it's as simple as that. A ton of Smash newcomers added ever since the series' introduction of third party fighters in Brawl have had major historical impact on Nintendo and gaming history as a whole. Take popular legacy series like Castlevania or Dragon Quest for example, alongaide a series like Bayonetta, who I'd argue doesn't nearly have as much historical significance compared to those series. I'd say decision making both has elements of "they're an important legacy character" and "they look like fun, fitting additions", not one or the other.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Excuse me but this art stream needs more viewers
Link removed, sorry Goth. ~Lore

Last edited by a moderator:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Why hello there SmashBoards, i'm new here.
This post was supposed to go on 4chan, but alas, i'm goddamn IP blocked, so that's unfortunate.
Anyways, here we go.

It would mean to me if someone would upload this to 4chan for me.

Colour theory(AKA Rainbow theory(AKA AKA SMRPG star colours theory)):

Characters that are likely to have their colour background Green, Red, Purple, Yellow or any other, will likely not be in Smash Bros DLC. Crossed out with Red colour.

Those being:
Green: Marina, Rash, Master Chief, Grookey final evo, VectorMan, Bubble dragon, Gex.
Red: I’m in no way in hell listing all of that ****.
Purple: Waluigi, Morrigan, Shantae, Neku.
Yellow: Kat(Gravity Rush 2), Saki, Scorpion, CJ.
Others: Space Invaders, Sora, Glover, Freddy, 2B, Heihachi, Quote, Metal Mario, Kiryu.

Company rep theory:

Companies that already have an rep will most likely not be in Smash (those being Nintendo, Sega, Enix, Microsoft and Capcom( Rathalos boss battle)). Crossed out with Green colour.
Those being:
Nintendo: DeMill, Mike Jones, Porky.
Sega: Arle.
Enix: Lara Croft.
Microsoft: Conker, Steve.
Capcom: Leon, Phoenix.
(We don’t know wherever Rathalos counts as a Capcom rep so lets skip past this one)

Most likely not happening:

Crossed out with Blue colour.
First things first, I just don’t think Kaisumi and Tracer, of all characters here, will ever get into Smash, EVER.
Rayman might not be able to get in.
Heavy and Gordon might not be able to cause Lord Gaben sent that email that he would let Nintendo use them AFTER they already choose the DLC.
Ryu probably won’t appear either.
And Indie characters probably won’t happen either.
Except maybe Undertale, there is a possibility.

And voila, 4 Namco reps (Kos-Mos, Chosen Undead, Amaterasu and Klonoa), 1 Bethesda (Doom Guy) , 1 Activison (Crash) AND a Square rep (Geno), and maybe Undertale.

There is a possibility that i'm wrong, but we shouldn't trust fake leaks *looks at Tracer leak*

I personally think it's gonna be Geno, Crash and Klonoa or Frisk.
Why is Amaterasu listed as a Namco rep tho

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say it's as simple as that. A ton of Smash newcomers added ever since the series' introduction of third party newcomers in Brawl have had major historical impact on Nintendo and gaming history as a whole. Take popular legacy series like Castlevania or Dragon Quest for example, alongaide a series like Bayonetta, who I'd argue doesn't nearly have as much historical significance compared to those series. I'd say decision making both has elements of "they're an important legacy character" and "they look cool", not one or the other.
I think its probably more coincidence tbh, of course the legacy characters are gonna be ones that Sakurai wants

my point is that a character like Ryu doesn't get in because Sakurai thinks "Street Fighter deserves to be in my game for its historical significance!" its more something like "It would be really cool if Street Fighter was in the game!", and it's certainly not "I need Street Fighter in to represent traditional fighting games!". Being a character with an important legacy maybe contributes to that, but I don't think its a driving factor.

Look at Joker for example. Obviously no official reason for his inclusion has been stated, but I really doubt Sakurai put him in there because he thinks Persona is some massive legacy franchise that needs to be in smash. He most likely just put joker in cause he really likes P5, he talked about the game all the time in his Famitsu column and is a big fan of the franchise. A better example would probably be Snake, who wasn't put in because Sakurai wanted to "represent stealth games" or whatever, but was included because Kojima asked nicely. Sakurai doesn't care about making Smash into a museum or whatever, he just wants to make a really cool crossover. Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Excuse me but this art stream needs more viewers
Link removed, sorry Goth. ~Lore
I apologize for having to remove your link, but we have to ban all stream advertising outside of specific spots. Otherwise, it leads to a flood of people advertising their streams, twitters, instagrams, etc. It used to be a huge problem.

No infraction points are necessary, so don't worry on that front. Just try not to do it again, ok?

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Ridley's okay.

"You know that character with a really interesting moveset, different from any other character in the game? Yeah, scrap it. I don't like her shoes."

What kind of ****ed up logic is that?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I can talk about other platformers and fighting games. I don't really play much in the way of RPGs.

Which reminds me, I gotta get back to Fist of the North Star soon.

D

Deleted member

I apologize for having to remove your link, but we have to ban all stream advertising outside of specific spots. Otherwise, it leads to a flood of people advertising their streams, twitters, instagrams, etc. It used to be a huge problem.

No infraction points are necessary, so don't worry on that front. Just try not to do it again, ok?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Just sayin', but we could need some more XB rep down there, poor Shulk is begining to feeling lonely in here.

R O F L

Smash Ace
I just spent some time playing characters I never use, and damn, I found a lot of people who are fun to play...
:ultisabelle::ultcorrinf::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultswordfighter::ultzss::ultken::ultpit::ultwiifittrainer:

I found myself naturally good with Corrin, Mii Swordfighter and Wii Fit, but i'm gonna need practicing with the others.

Also why the hell does Mario Kart Tour have a better character selection than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe????
It has almost everyone from MK8 + Diddy Kong and Pauline. And it has freaking alt costumes.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
The stupid bloody post office dropped my magazine along the postal route. Empty package. And I need to get that magazine or a refund. Someone needs to be fired, I swear. Sick of the lackluster postal service in my area.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
The stupid bloody post office dropped my magazine along the postal route. Empty package. And I need to get that magazine or a refund. Someone needs to be fired, I swear. Sick of the lackluster postal service in my area.
Sounds like you're about to go postal over it.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I think its probably more coincidence tbh, of course the legacy characters are gonna be ones that Sakurai wants

my point is that a character like Ryu doesn't get in because Sakurai thinks "Street Fighter deserves to be in my game for its historical significance!" its more something like "It would be really cool if Street Fighter was in the game!", and it's certainly not "I need Street Fighter in to represent traditional fighting games!". Being a character with an important legacy maybe contributes to that, but I don't think its a driving factor.

Look at Joker for example. Obviously no official reason for his inclusion has been stated, but I really doubt Sakurai put him in there because he thinks Persona is some massive legacy franchise that needs to be in smash. He most likely just put joker in cause he really likes P5, he talked about the game all the time in his Famitsu column and is a big fan of the franchise. A better example would probably be Snake, who wasn't put in because Sakurai wanted to "represent stealth games" or whatever, but was included because Kojima asked nicely. Sakurai doesn't care about making Smash into a museum or whatever, he just wants to make a really cool crossover. Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense.
I remember that the whole "Nintendo Crossover" was Iwata's idea.

Sakurai wanted to make an entire different and original game.
"You know that character with a really interesting moveset, different from any other character in the game? Yeah, scrap it. I don't like her shoes."

The logic I'm saying is that no one cared about Samus as a "character" outside her suit other thar nerds regarding Brawl for the Wii. Her moveset was irrelevant(considering that Sakurai can make a moveset out of "anything," even when he really shouldn't most of the time). Who would have really consider the idea of fighting as Samus outside of her iconic armour. It's like playing as a Link without items/weapons. Workable, but it's not "Link" to many, thus, considered "unacceptable."

I'm beginning to think the "Functions vs Functions" meme apply more to SSBU than MVCI.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I do think historical significance plays a small part in deciding which characters get in. Sakurai blatantly told us Duck Hunt got in largely because of their significance to Nintendo's past, and I'm sure WFT wouldn't have gotten in if Wii Fit didn't start a fitness frenzy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom