• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Blade of Evil's Bane Blade of Evil's Bane Seriously, I've been in a character crisis recently. I was thinking I would prioritize :ultlink: & :ultroy:, with :ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultcloud: close by, and I haven't even reunited with :ultgreninja: yet...

Bring on the frog.

I'm starting to get back in the groove of things, and to celebrate I got my Premium back :yoshi:
I need to give Premium a try when I actually buy things online. So I can feel the power.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I hope it's fun as hell. The good reviews it's getting are making me nervous. I wish I felt like I had certainty that it was the Platinum Games experience they typically deliver but the fact that everyone is praising it and everyone hates the Hack-N-Slash genre now.... you can understand why I'm a little scared.
Wait...people hate hack-n-slash games now? That's definitely news to me...especially after the stellar reception for Devil May Cry 5.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
tbh I didn't need sabi to tell me there's gonna be a direct soon considering it's September soon, but its appreciated I guess

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Wait...people hate hack-n-slash games now? That's definitely news to me...especially after the stellar reception for Devil May Cry 5.
If people liked them more would get made. The fact that people like this means it's got something weird about it which will probably spoil it for me.

Like What God of War PS4 did. But at least that one had an amazing story and a gameplay compromise to get me through it. Considering Astral Chain will probably have a terrible story due to it's silent protagonist..... you do the math.

Am I catastrophising? Probably. But I still feel like I have a right to worry.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Blade of Evil's Bane Blade of Evil's Bane Seriously, I've been in a character crisis recently. I was thinking I would prioritize :ultlink: & :ultroy:, with :ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultcloud: close by, and I haven't even reunited with :ultgreninja: yet...

Bring on the frog.

I need to give Premium a try when I actually buy things online. So I can feel the power.
My main's :ultyounglink: but I'm also training up my :ultlink: for certain MUs that suck for YL like :ultness: and my :ultwolf: for MUs that suck for both of them like :ultike:. So my tournament team will be :ultyounglink:/:ultlink::ultwolf:.
I know what you mean about having a character crisis. Sometimes I really feel YL's limitations. It's never a bad idea to have a few backup characters to mix things up if nothing else.

In DQ Builders I beat the third main island of Khrumbul Dun. It seems like 2/3rds of the characters in this game have speech impediments. Now I'm back on the Isle of Awakening to build a pyramid there.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
If people liked them more would get made
It's a niche genre, sure...but games like the Bayonetta series, NieR Automata, and DMCV being as well-regarded as they are signifies to me that hack-n-slashes are still enjoyed enough to warrant being made.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Four pages in and I already noticed the lack of Touhou, but that's because it's got a cult status here while it's huge in Japan.

So in response to the radio silence, I'm going to be "that guy" right now and borrow a couple of copypastas that cover a slew of accomplishments that many are overlooking:
Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 6.40.31 PM.png

&
Touhou in game culture (censored).png

Second image has been censored here and there, and a website originally mentioned in the post was changed into a vague mention without directly referencing it given its family-unfriendly nature.

In short, she has a much larger influence and presence than Undertale and any other Indie out there, and is overlooked a lot because of Western-relevancy bias.

Her series also served as one of Toby Fox's main sources of inspiration for Undertale, so credit goes to the Shrine Maiden and the telekinetic boys are equally deserving of the accolades. That being said, I would love to have Frisk as a playable character something in the future after she debuts as a playable character herself, as well as other Indie characters.

Don't underestimate her chances. She ain't a lock, but she's big enough to contend beyond the "Dream Pick" stereotype.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Boy oh boy I can’t wait for twenty minutes of products that don’t interest me with the occasional product that caters to my tastes!

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
While I'm not 100% sold on Sabi in all, I have some stock on a Direct soon.

But likely this coming week as Nintendo doesn't do announcements on weekends.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Who here has made their own standard teams in Pokemon Masters? I haven't really planned up on mine.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's a niche genre, sure...but games like the Bayonetta series, NieR Automata, and DMCV being as well-regarded as they are signifies to me that hack-n-slashes are still enjoyed enough to warrant being made.
I understand I'm catastrophising. But I can't help but worry that I'll buy what I think is a hack-n-slash only to find some sort of action rpg instead. And the positive reviews it's getting only make me worry about it more. Because people just love RPG elements these days. They hate simple linear adventures that make you feel like a god. They want customization and open worlds and choices and all that crap. And Platinum is the last company that actively makes these sorts of games. If they give up, give into the market demands, then all hope is lost as far as I'm concerned. And I haven't seen anything in the direct footage that makes it abundantly clear that they haven't.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can't unhear Hector and Mae whenever Lt. Surge and Kris speak.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Boy oh boy I can’t wait for twenty minutes of products that don’t interest me with the occasional product that caters to my tastes!
v At least they aren't EA v (video is time-stamped)
Max's ritual dance pretty much sums up how that tends to go...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The voice acting in Masters is either hit or miss.

Some voices are kind eh...

But when it hits it hits HARD.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
While I'm not 100% sold on Sabi in all, I have some stock on a Direct soon.

But likely this coming week as Nintendo doesn't do announcements on weekends.
Gamestop has recently added a lot of placeholders for new Switch games on their website, so it does seem like we're due for a Direct sometime soon. Not that anyone's surprised. September is historically a good month for new info.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I mean, anybody can say soon at this point and be right. The consensus was that we were going to get a Direct next week, so saying soon is kind of meaningless. "Sooner than you think" would be more meaningful, as well as "later than you think" if it wasn't next week. Obviously, Sabi is trustworthy and has their sources, so it's not a point about their credibility--just that... it doesn't change anything.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
i love how astral chain's inner cover spoils a fairly big plot point
1567121037452.png

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Still holding out for a Duck Hunt 2 announcement but honestly I think they've forgotten the franchise at this point

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I don't even expect character four in the September Direct. I think we'll get what happened in the February Direct where it'll hint at the Banjo update. Then Banjo gets released and at some point, they release a standalone trailer for fighter four a la Robin's trailer in Smash 4 in like November.

Then December sees Character 4 get released and the final character gets announced in a January Direct, and is released at the end of February.

D

Deleted member

Ok, I REALLY like the idea of Sync Pair Stories. It ensures each character in the game gets a chance to shine in their own way. I'm a fan of that through and through. I also really enjoy the references to the games. Great touch.

Rosa trying to act like Blue is great.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly I don't even expect character four in the September Direct. I think we'll get what happened in the February Direct where it'll hint at the Banjo update. Then Banjo gets released and at some point, they release a standalone trailer for fighter four a la Robin's trailer in Smash 4 in like November.

Then December sees Character 4 get released and the final character gets announced in a January Direct, and is released at the end of February.
Shut your face, western marsupial.

Sans is at the end of the September direct and that’s that. /s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom