• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It’s not like I have a super villain “anti Disney lair” or go all Appoplexian whenever you mention their name. I just want to overthrow the company with quality childhood-defining films and gut their empire for parts until the only thing left is a hollow shell. I think that’s perfectly fine. It just keeps me motivated to do well.
Seems pointlessly spiteful to me. It seems like you have a case of always wanting to have something to hate or be angry at.

If that's how you motivate yourself, maybe you should start working for positive sources of motivation. If you want to make good children's movies it should be out of a love for animation, not out of a hatred for a corporation.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Seems pointlessly spiteful to me. It seems like you have a case of always wanting to have something to hate or be angry at.

If that's how you motivate yourself, maybe you should start working for positive sources of motivation. If you want to make good children's movies it should be out of a love for animation, not out of a hatred for a corporation.
Agreed. On all counts.

Though it may be hard if the company who owns her movies is brought out by Disney. Just saying.

StormC

Smash Hero
Everyone here in the industry kind of hates Disney but grits their teeth and deals with it anyway because they are just that big.

Certainly nobody has any dreams of overthrowing them lol.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Not the point. I mean, it kind of is. I don’t know. I just want to be able to identify with my starter. You know.
No to be honest, Indont know. Because no one identifies with a monster. they identify with humans and pokemon arent humans

and also the "They arent chicks, so i dont like them" is that, parden me, most bull**** thing I have ever seen

Noipoi

Howdy!
Everyone here in the industry kind of hates Disney but grits their teeth and deals with it anyway because they are just that big.

Certainly nobody has any dreams of overthrowing them lol.
Bro what’s it like? In the industry?

You’re kinda living my dream lmao

Shroob

Sup?
*Wake up*

"Today is an average day, it's peaceful."

*Knock at the door*

"Huh, who could THAT be?"

*It's my long-lost half Sister who I haven't seen since I was 4*

"....****."

Noipoi

Howdy!
*Wake up*

"Today is an average day, it's peaceful."

*Knock at the door*

"Huh, who could THAT be?"

*It's my long-lost half Sister who I haven't seen since I was 4*

"....****."
Damn.

Y’know, I’ve met many people in my life, and they all have something in common. They all say the same things to me. They say it don’t be like that sometimes.

But based on my own experiences, I’ve come to the conclusion that despite what they all say. It really do be like that sometimes.

You okay?

Shroob

Sup?
Damn.

Y’know, I’ve met many people in my life, and they all have something in common. They all say the same things to me. They say it don’t be like that sometimes.

But based on my own experiences, I’ve come to the conclusion that despite what they all say. It really do be like that sometimes.

You okay?
I'm more stunned than anything.

I do NOT get along well with my Dad, I haven't seen him in over a decade, and I hadn't seen her in like....24 years.

That was just bizarre all things considered.:drshrug:

StormC

Smash Hero
Bro what’s it like? In the industry?

You’re kinda living my dream lmao
I read a lot of scripts and help develop pitches and stories...which usually means listening to producers dominate the conversation and nodding along.

It's great if this is your dream but it's an industry where everyone is more than happy to "help" you for something in return.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I read a lot of scripts and help develop pitches and stories...which usually means listening to producers dominate the conversation and nodding along.

It's great if this is your dream but it's an industry where everyone is more than happy to "help" you for something in return.
I’m more interested in the making cartoons side of things, as a creative. But still, this is a very useful insight. Thanks.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
About to finish season 3 of 13 reasons why. Spoilers ahead:

Alex and Jess killed Bryce Walker, so there's that. And dang, this season is a trainwreck just like season 2. Season 1 was weak as well but for different reasons.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
On Chapter 11 of GD, but heading off for the night. I’ve got two more days before PD begins for the school year, which means my time to blast through games will be cut down significantly.

I’m excited for the 2nd half of Golden Deer, despite my heart still missing the Black Eagles. At least I’ll get an idea of Those Who Slither and get a better understanding of the plot.

Still think Rhea is the worst.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On Chapter 11 of GD, but heading off for the night. I’ve got two more days before PD begins for the school year, which means my time to blast through games will be cut down significantly.

I’m excited for the 2nd half of Golden Deer, despite my heart still missing the Black Eagles. At least I’ll get an idea of Those Who Slither and get a better understanding of the plot.

Still think Rhea is the worst.
If it counts for anything, I'm a dedicated Golden Deer who still hasn't started his BE playthrough yet and I also agree Rhea is pretty awful.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Rhea be like
I'ma put my mom in this baby and see what happens.
I don't dislike her but I do agree that she isn't too interesting.
Except for when she throws hands with Nemesis in the beginning I wish we got more of that Rhea instead of the 200th dragon lady in the series

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To clarify when I said Rhea was awful I meant she was an awful person, not that I think she's a particularly badly written character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I understand Disney has questionable higher ups, but I don’t really get why people act like the whole company is filled with greedy scumbags. A lot of the animations seem like they have love and care put into them to me, and there’s things other than animations that make some of the people seem nice.

They should’ve fired whoever changed their videogame direction, though; the Wreck-It Ralph game was bland, heck its ads didn’t even show gameplay lol; their other newer games didn’t seem as good, either, aside from Infinity, though to be fair THQ worked on some of the older ones. I loved THQ’s games.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Rhea be like
I'ma put my mom in this baby and see what happens.
I don't dislike her but I do agree that she isn't too interesting.
Except for when she throws hands with Nemesis in the beginning I wish we got more of that Rhea instead of the 200th dragon lady in the series
Not gonna lie I expected the first spoiler tag to have this

StormC

Smash Hero
Any company with as much power and influence as Disney would be as scummy as them.

All corporations are in it to win it.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Rhea can make me learn the teaching of faith by punching peoples.

That make her a interesting character in my book.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Any company with as much power and influence as Disney would be as scummy as them.

All corporations are in it to win it.
I just find it unfair to act like everyone working on their stuff is scummy, like new movies could be ideas someone pitched and wanted to work on out of love. I know the higher ups have done some stupid stuff, but it’s not like the company is only them and sheep with the same ideals. Their channel certainly seems to have people who care about people’s enjoyment, and the animation studios and whatnot seem to as well with the unnecessary extra stuff they sometimes do (though the quality seems like a good enough reason tbh).

Though the reasons behind the constant remakes could be questionable, not gonna argue with that.

If we’re gonna assume they all only care about quality and enjoyment solely because of money and not also for people’s happiness, the same could be assumed for other companies and then y’all will eventually want to tear Nintendo or Microsoft down.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Just beat Chapter 11 of the BE route.

Yeah, after picking Edelgard's side I can easily see why everyone thinks Rhea is the worst, that speech she gave when you betrayed her was pretty chilling. Definitely looking forward to seeing where she goes from here since the GD route (and I assume the BL and Church routes) didn't fully showcase the worst aspects of her character, so now that's going to be on full display.

Now that the first part is nearly done, there's one immediate point that I have to give to GD over BE. I mentioned before there were minor differences between the routes regarding the lords and one case where it's showcased at its best is with Claude and Tomas/Solon as due to the former's wanderlust the latter got a bit more screentime since we often talked at the library. It was there that he gave more lore to the world and even gave us insight into some of the shadier aspects of the church such as them destroying any knowledge that reflected badly on their teachings. It helped give Tomas a bit more presence before the betrayal and made the surprise where he turned out to be Solon a bit more meaningful since we actually got some interaction with him rather then barely any. So with that in mind, I was hoping Kronya would get the same treatment since A) she pretended to be Monica and joined the BE, and B) she hung around Edelgard a lot and thus would should have more opportunity to talk to Byleth. Yet little extra is added with her as nothing is really done with her presence in the house, and even after she stabs Jeralt the only addition that happens is giving a slight nod to Edelgard's nature as she gets surprised when the latter attacks her. It's a small disappointment as I wasn't attached to Kronya to begin with (in fact, she's easily the worst villain in the game so far), but I was hoping they'd do something more with Monica's presence within the BE, but in the end it just got glossed over.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I just find it unfair to act like everyone working on their stuff is scummy, like new movies could be ideas someone pitched and wanted to work on out of love. I know the higher ups have done some stupid stuff, but it’s not like the company is only them and sheep with the same ideals. Their channel certainly seems to have people who care about people’s enjoyment, and the animation studios and whatnot seem to as well with the unnecessary extra stuff they sometimes do (though the quality seems like a good enough reason tbh).

Though the reasons behind the constant remakes could be questionable, not gonna argue with that.

If we’re gonna assume they all only care about quality and enjoyment solely because of money and not also for people’s happiness, the same could be assumed for other companies and then y’all will eventually want to tear Nintendo or Microsoft down.
When people say "Disney sucks," chances are they aren't slandering every single employee that works for them. It's commentary on the general corporate structure and business choices they make... which is what basically every high level company does.

Corporations aren't people.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
>When you do Tea Time with Flayn, get the 3 questions correctly but fail the bonus question.
YRRJX2a.png

WHAT DID I SAY WRONG, FLAYN?!!? WHAT DID I SAY WROOOOONG???

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I dunno man, Disney movies are kinda revered because they are quality. For the most part. Not only that, but they’re among the most iconic films period.

It’d take a lot to “dethrone” Disney. It probably couldn’t be accomplished in one lifetime, if at all.

At least you’d always be working towards something.
I think the issue here is we need to separate the quality of the films, which is an artistic matter, and their business practices as a company. I am in full support of gutting monopolies (or if you prefer, in this case, quasi-monopoly), and if we did that with Disney, the company, we'd have much more diversity of films (It used to be the Big 7, then the Big 6, and now with Disney-Fox merger, it's the Big 5). As for the quality of the current films, film is subjective, just because a lot of people think they're quality, doesn't mean everyone does. But when a lot of the top grossing films are owned by the same company (In 2018, Disney had 4/10 of the top movies, one of the others, Deadpool, now owned by Disney), that signals there's a large market that is not being catered to.

As for me, Disney films have not been quality for me, personally--they're overly formulaic, and an over-reliance on bathos, subverting emotional moments with anti-climactic comedy, and they have a family-friendly philosophy that works fine with their animated films, but they carry over to everything (RIP Deadpool). And in the case of their action films, an over reliance of CGI action sequences, particularly at the climaxes, makes it look like toys flinging at the screen, rather than anything with emotional catharsis. It's what turned me off with Marvel movies, what turned me off with Star Wars. And I have little to no faith Disney will do X-Men and Deadpool justice. I joke about it, but I do seriously believe Disney should not be owning this many major properties.

And it would take a lot to dethrone Disney, though to explain what we should do, would be a political matter, and I'll leave that part out of the forums. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think the issue here is we need to separate the quality of the films, which is an artistic matter, and their business practices as a company. I am in full support of gutting monopolies (or if you prefer, in this case, quasi-monopoly), and if we did that with Disney, the company, we'd have much more diversity of films (It used to be the Big 7, then the Big 6, and now with Disney-Fox merger, it's the Big 5). As for the quality of the current films, film is subjective, just because a lot of people think they're quality, doesn't mean everyone does. But when a lot of the top grossing films are owned by the same company (In 2018, Disney had 4/10 of the top movies, one of the others, Deadpool, now owned by Disney), that signals there's a large market that is not being catered to.

As for me, Disney films have not been quality for me, personally--they're overly formulaic, and an over-reliance on bathos, subverting emotional moments with anti-climactic comedy, and they have a family-friendly philosophy that works fine with their animated films, but they carry over to everything (RIP Deadpool). And in the case of their action films, an over reliance of CGI action sequences, particularly at the climaxes, makes it look like toys flinging at the screen, rather than anything with emotional catharsis. It's what turned me off with Marvel movies, what turned me off with Star Wars. And I have little to no faith Disney will do X-Men and Deadpool justice. I joke about it, but I do seriously believe Disney should not be owning this many major properties.

And it would take a lot to dethrone Disney, though to explain what we should do, would be a political matter, and I'll leave that part out of the forums. :upsidedown:
Even though I agree with the repetitive themes and overly-familiar plots, there's not much we can do. Disney worked hard to get its spot as top dog, and even though the quality and diversity is suffering as a result, we can't just dethrone them because we're unhappy with their power and influence.

The best we can do is support the films being made by other companies and stop paying to go see every single Disney movie being released in a calendar year.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Me: Sure I'll watch a Youtube video by The Dodo about a puppy surviving a life-threatening health condition, what could possibly go wrong?

Me 10 minutes later:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
To clarify when I said Rhea was awful I meant she was an awful person, not that I think she's a particularly badly written character.
Yup. I agree.
People can call Edelgard 'facist' all they want but Rhea is the character that is truly horrible. People say that Edelgard could have 'stopped with the church'..no..not really. The entirity of Fodlan was influence and all but ruled by the Church of Seiros just like Medieval Europe was ruled by the Catholic Church. Just taking out the church wouldn't have stopped the war, the Kingdom and, if Claude failed to keep neutrality, the Alliance would end up attacking the Empire in retaliation. Rhea also acts like Byleth 'stole' her mother when she put her into her/him without any sort of consent (I mean, they were a baby) and yet continually acts like its Byleth that is the horrible person..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom