• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
UM
GUYS
ASH WINS THE ALOLA LEAGUE
Source? They only just got to the semis. Although the opening implies ash wins. People are going to just say that most of the fights were one in one so the league doesn’t count though which is fair but kinda stupid too.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think more people would understand the complaints about Ariel being cast as a black woman if Disney were to announce a live-action Princess and the Frog and cast the character Tiana to a white woman.

It's not the race of the actress that people are bothered with. It's the seemingly unnecessary change they made to a classic character that's causing controversy.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think more people would understand the complaints about Ariel being cast as a black woman if Disney were to announce a live-action Princess and the Frog and cast the character Tiana to a white woman.

It's not the race of the actress that people are bothered with. It's the seemingly unnecessary change they made to a classic character that's causing controversy.
Taking away representation from minorities is completely different from race lifting white characters.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
People always come back to characters like Sarah Connor and Ellen Ripley as "good" examples of feminist characters. If the internet existed when those movies came out, let's not kid ourselves, swarms of people would post about how they're stupid feminist propaganda.
^ This

Not to mention the casting of Black leads in movies back then and those blaxploitation flicks would've been met with heavy criticism online

It's crazy how history keeps on repeating itself

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
It's not the fact that they're making a black character, it's the fact that they're changing a character people know and recognize from white to black
I really don't see why this is so hard for some people to process
There’s a difference to doing that by changing an established character than creating your own and the former often comes at a bigger risk in terms of audience reaction
There's nothing wrong with black characters, I think it's just changing already existing characters that bothers people when they could just as easily remake a movie like princess and the frog which already has black characters, or better yet, make something original.
I'm trying to say I doubt that the decision was made with malicious intent.

Edit: **** didn't see Skittish's message.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
As a certified African American (at least I think I am. Last time I checked at least) I don’t really give a crap about Black Ariel.

It’s just whatever. I’ve got more important things to worry about.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I wish this thread was as passionate about Pikmin and "Why the City Building and Tycoon Genres are Long Overdue for a Revival" as much as Disney live action remakes

curse these niche tastes of mine

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
so is that a no on the arena

i was ready to throw down n everything

StormC

Smash Hero
I wish this thread was as passionate about Pikmin and "Why the City Building and Tycoon Genres are Long Overdue for a Revival" as much as Disney live action remakes

Maybe if Nintendo didn't spend a decade releasing new Pikmin games it would help.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's funny, when people see a movie or game that they don't like get good reviews, they say "PAID REVIEWS, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM"

When it's a movie or game they want to see or get, and it gets bad reviews, it's "SJWS! THEY CAN'T SEE ART! GRRRRR!"

With that said, there have been some highly questionable reviews that makes me question how they were selected to do the review.
At the end of the day, people have to remember that reviews are still opinions. Thoroughly (at least usually) explained and thought out oned, but still opinions. They're not out to trash your favorite movie or praise your least favorite one, they're giving their own assessment on it and explaining why they gave it the rating they did.

Now obviously that's not always the case, some reviews are just really poorly constructed or do little to hide their bias, but that's where the reader's discretion comes into play. It's more important to read and see the points they made and assess whether you think those points were accurate or added to/took away enough for it to be worth the watch then to blindly take a score at face value. A good example of that for me was USUM, the reviews were very positive on it and made it seem like a worthwhile purchase, but one of the common complaints I saw across them was the lack of changes, so I knew that it wouldn't be worth it for me to get it on launch as a result.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113

I've never played Pikmin, should I ?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I can do a couple matches, not for too long though.
dang if its not a fun party then it'd just be casual matches

i havent given the online tourney a test drive yet tho

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I didn't really like Toy Story 4 as much as the other three. I feel like the writers were torn between two plots and ended up compromising, making a really weird hodgepodge movie.

It also doesn't help that the main villain is another self-loathing character, something that we get plenty of today. One of my favorite aspects about the Toy Story series is how selfish and uncaring the villains were. It made it easier to root for the heroes. With Gabby Gabby, you don't really know if you should hate her or feel sorry for her. One minute she's threatening to rip Woody apart, the next she's getting all emotional because a kid doesn't want her.
I liked Gabby Gabby because she felt different from the other Toy Story villains. Sid and Lotso were shown to be super evil antagonists to worry about, whereas Gabby had a nice side that was shown through a lot of the movie, and got even stronger near the end.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm just saying, there is a reason Black Panther made 1.3 billion dollars.

If you serve underrepresented demographics with a good product, they will come.

That's it. That's all there is to it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
haha three houses teatime yeah

sweats

haha yeah

god i love tea
I'm at the last possible point for Hubert to upgrade into Dark Knight and he flubbed the exam.

How could this happen.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm at the last possible point for Hubert to upgrade into Dark Knight and he flubbed the exam.

How could this happen.
idk probably the fact his parents decided to name him hubert

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Source? They only just got to the semis. Although the opening implies ash wins. People are going to just say that most of the fights were one in one so the league doesn’t count though which is fair but kinda stupid too.
As far as I'm aware, nothing is confirmed aside from Kiawe vs Gladion and Ash vs Guzma in the semis. They're making it seem like the finals will be Gladion vs Ash, but nothing has indicated what the outcome of that match will be.

Taking away representation from minorities is completely different from race lifting white characters.
A live-action The Little Mermaid or any other live-action remake for that matter shouldn't even be concerned about representing any particular race.

It's a children's movie, and there's no need to push any kind of message about race when the plot of said movie doesn't revolve around race in the slightest.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just found this out. Apparently Adolf Hitler liked to draw in his spare time, and based on these watercolors most likely made by him, he liked to draw disney characters. And they're actually really good.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1579629/Did-Adolf-Hitler-draw-Disney-characters.html

Imagine a world where history remembered Adolf Hitler, the famous cartoonist. Instead of... well, you know. Such a shame.
why did you take forever to mention something disney related when it was already too late and already too politically heated

im just so confused :bobomb:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just found this out. Apparently Adolf Hitler liked to draw in his spare time, and based on these watercolors most likely made by him, he liked to draw disney characters. And they're actually really good.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1579629/Did-Adolf-Hitler-draw-Disney-characters.html

Imagine a world where history remembered Adolf Hitler, the famous cartoonist. Instead of... well, you know. Such a shame.
Tfw Hitler is a better artist than you
63A42AD5-3D1C-4590-8E2F-407FECF4A0E3.jpeg

StormC

Smash Hero
A live-action The Little Mermaid or any other live-action remake for that matter shouldn't even be concerned about representing any particular race.

It's a children's movie, and there's no need to push any kind of message about race when the plot of said movie doesn't revolve around race in the slightest.
Representation matters, whether the audience is 8 or 80. There are enough white stories to go around.

All stories have "messages," whether they're intentional or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom