• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I like Funkos as a concept, though I don't want to spend money on them. Only time I bought one was when I took a field trip to a Japanese market in another state, and wanted a couple souvenirs to bring back.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Eh on second thought there's really not much to make a commentary out of this movie. Think I'll just be watching it like any normal movie then.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I kind of feel like LttP has Toon Link
LttP and LbW definitely have a bit more of a toon aesthetic, but they're definitely just normal link. "Toon Link" really doesn't diverge from their appearance in smash.

Young Link is really only in ocarina and Majora's Mask, while Toon Link is any link that uses that design, so wind waker, four swords, phantom hourglass, etc.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
One thing I'll never understand from the Zelda series is how they always dance around the relationship between Link and Zelda. Like, the two flat out got together in Zelda 2, and in Skyward Sword it was heavily implied that they loved each other, but in other games? Who knows. I mean, I can make a case for them liking each other in OoT, WW/PH, and BoTW, but other games leave it so ambigous on their relationship, in some games,barely have a relationship of any kind at all, like you can't even tell if they're even friends at the least.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
One thing I'll never understand from the Zelda series is how they always dance around the relationship between Link and Zelda. Like, the two flat out got together in Zelda 2, and in Skyward Sword it was heavily implied that they loved each other, but in other games? Who knows. I mean, I can make a case for them liking each other in OoT, WW/PH, and BoTW, but other games leave it so ambigous on their relationship, in some games,barely have a relationship of any kind at all, like you can't even tell if they're even friends at the least.
In TP Zelda’s just a stranger to Link and Link himself is often either paired with Midna or Ilia

Noipoi

Howdy!
I always took it as, seeing as how they’re reincarnated souls bound by fate, their relationship is always different. Because they’re different people with different upbringings.

Sometimes they’re lovers, sometimes friends, sometimes Link just leaves after saving the day.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
They held hands at the end of Spirit Tracks

Iridium

Smash Hero
Young Link: Zeldas I and II, a Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, 50% of Ocarina of Time, the Oracle games, Majora's Mask, and a Link Between Worlds.
Toon Link: Four Swords, the Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventures, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Tri Force Heroes.
Zelda II Link is the same age as the older Link in OoT, so maybe not him. Everything else is fine.

I remember Miyamoto talking about how he wanted the player to feel like the hero, Link, when they play the game. Maybe that has to do with how much imagination you're given on that end. Very rarely is anything about relationships explicitly confirmed, it's up to you in a way.

But I can admit most people think about Link and Zelda more than anything else. Can't say Nintendo will often do that, though.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I always took it as, seeing as how they’re reincarnated souls bound by fate, their relationship is always different. Because they’re different people with different upbringings.

Sometimes they’re lovers, sometimes friends, sometimes Link just leaves after saving the day.
I guess, but I prefer Zelda to have some connection to Link, like, at least give us some reason to save her other than "She's the Princess".

In a way, I want Peach to be more involved woth the story of Mario as well, like, all the Mario RPGs do a good job at it (except SS lol), but the main series games (mostly the 2D ones) don't (Though I do like their interactions they had in Sunshine and Odyssey. More stuff like that please).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Spirit Tracks Zelink is utterly precious and the best portrayal of the relationship between any incarnation of Link and Zelda.

Change my mind. Skyward Sword and BotW have done a good job on that front, too, though.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I don’t know if it’s just me but I can’t get invested in a story driven game if I give the protagonist character my name. Like I give my name for avatars in stuff like Animal Crossing but when there’s an overarching story I prefer using the default name, anyone else do this?

Noipoi

Howdy!
I guess, but I prefer Zelda to have some connection to Link, like, at least give us some reason to save her other than "She's the Princess".

In a way, I want Peach to be more involved woth the story of Mario as well, like, all the Mario RPGs do a good job at it (except SS lol), but the main series games (mostly the 2D ones) don't (Though I do like their interactions they had in Sunshine and Odyssey. More stuff like that please).
He doesn’t think Peach screaming “MAAAAARIOOO” for the 100th time isn’t an intriguing reason to rescue her

Get out

I hope we get more interesting Peach interactions in the inevitable Odyssey sequel

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don’t know if it’s just me but I can’t get invested in a story driven game if I give the protagonist character my name. Like I give my name for avatars in stuff like Animal Crossing but when there’s an overarching story I prefer using the default name, anyone else do this?
I never use my own name, but I barely use default names either.

I mostly name them things like “Dr. Squishy” or something stupid like that,

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My thought process on that has varied throughout my life. I used my name for LoZ save files when I was a kid. It made me feel more like I was going on an adventure myself, that the friends I made along the way we really were my friends, and that I was really going do all these impossibly amazing things and save the world from genuine forces of evil.

Nowadays I'm too invested in the world and story of LoZ to name Link anything other than...Link.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The remake of it did have it closer to the Toon aesthetic. Same with ALBW, but overall, it's still regular Young Link's design. It was just the most used 2D aesthetic at the time, so it makes sense why it used something similar.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The first Zelda game I was able to play was Breath of the Wild, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I've always liked the idea that the "Legend" in the title is literal, and these are all retellings of the same "legend" with little actual canon, outside of the few direct sequels. I like that because, that's how it is essentially with a lot of long-lasting franchises, and it's nice to have an overall canon that explains the discrepancies from one title to the next.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The first Zelda game I was able to play was Breath of the Wild, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I've always liked the idea that the "Legend" in the title is literal, and these are all retellings of the same "legend" with little actual canon, outside of the few direct sequels. I like that because, that's how it is essentially with a lot of long-lasting franchises, and it's nice to have an overall canon that explains the discrepancies from one title to the next.
It’s cool that you like it and all. But I, and many others, prefer stories with more direct continuity and shared characters.

But I guess I don’t have room to talk because this is only one of many reasons I’m not to fond of the Zelda series.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So I nearly finished my birthday gifts and since that bringbackTTYD tag was trending earlier, I’ll ask again, I’ve taken previous answers into acccount BTW

Remember those new Paper Mario game ideas I talked about before? After I get done working on some birthday presents I thought about drawing out some of my ideas and sharing them here.

-This game will have two halves, one half will be Mario’s side and the other will be Peach’s. Both will have their own levels, battles, partners, etc.

-the “Tattle” characters will be a sentient sketchbook and pencil that are incapable of vocal speaking, only using writing. Mario would have one and Peach would have the other, I wanted to think of designs that were a bit more complex than objects with eyes so if anyone has any ideas for how I could make the designs more interesting let me know

I plan on giving Mario and Peach at least 4 partners that would have more functions, abilities, character, story relevance, etc. in exchange for less partners. Two of Mario’s partners I have in mind are:
  • Rezqueen: female Reznor whose 4 children were kidnapped and joins Mario to rescue them. She attacks with her horns and fireballs and Mario can ride on her back and basically Rambo any obstacles in her way
  • Jacquetu (name pending): female Lakitu who works as a Cloud mechanic. Her Cloud is weaker than normal ones as it’s unable to fly high on its own power so she outfitted it with mechanical enhancements to help it like propellers and lightning rods.
Peach I just had Daisy and possibly a Toad retainer with a spear. If anyone has any more potential partner ideas or any design elements I should incorporate, please let me know.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So I nearly finished my birthday gifts and since that bringbackTTYD tag was trending earlier, I’ll ask again, I’ve taken previous answers into acccount BTW
I just remembered. I had this idea for a Mario RPG 2 but it could also work for PM. Basically a combined pastiche of a Final Fantasy protagonists the way Culex was a pastiche of FF bosses.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That hero presentation was nuts. I can’t believe Sora got a costume, geno’s playable, final fantasy is getting actually music and we got the return of smash tour, smash world, and smash run.
_
:p
Hero soon please...

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It’s cool that you like it and all. But I, and many others, prefer stories with more direct continuity and shared characters.

But I guess I don’t have room to talk because this is only one of many reasons I’m not to fond of the Zelda series.
It's certainly dependent on how one wants to view and interpret media, certainly--there's no objective wrong or right answer. I do think it fits the Zelda series, and I think continuity has it's place. For instance, I love in Doctor Who how they went to correct/fix gaps within it's own continuity, and some really amazing storylines came out of it as a result. But it depends on the genre and series--if it starts as a strong continuity, it should stay so. If it starts with reimagining things off the bat, then it should remain like that. The only issue is when a series demands the audience to accept one, but then provides another.

It's why I think it's perfectly fine with those who want to view Zelda as a continuous series, and trying to analyze how to fix the timeline--whereas, I enjoy the series more thinking about it in terms of how it's been reimagined and trying to deduce what the *actual* story is underlying it.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Spirit Tracks Zelink is the utterly precious and the best portrayal of their relationship between any incarnation of Link and Zelda.

Change my mind. Skyward Sword and BotW have done a good job on that front, too, though.
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this.

Spirit Tracks Zeldas is also one of my favorite Princess Zeldas in the series as well! She was a fun and cute character!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Since we’re talking Zelda, I figured I’d share my ideas for a game staring Zelda before BotW2 makes my ideas irrelevant.

SnakeFighter64 said:
So. I want to start a new pet project. I want to do a Zelda game. Literally. A game where you play as Zelda. In a cyberpunk setting. And it’s VERY story driven. The idea being a kind of Magic against technology story. Zelda, our heroine, being a mage in a mechanical world. Maybe showing the creation of the Guardians/Divine Beasts and what drives Gannon to become the Calamity. I know you like Zelda so I want your advice on the project. If this game was announced and what I’ve said is all that was told to you, what would you expect.

The only other idea I had for the characters is for Link and Zelda to swap roles in life. As Wind Walker has shown, it is possible for Zelda’s bloodline to stop being royalty. Zelda in this timeline is a young adult. And a librarian in Neo Hyrule working for a reincarnation of the Happy Mask Salesman, who teaches her magic. Link, while not being a Prince, was found by the monarchy at a young age and “groomed” to be the hero. Resulting in him actually being very snobby and arrogant (Think the American cartoon). Ganondorf in this time is the general of the Royale army, Link’s mentor, and a brilliant engineer. Going for a more Bond villain-esque take on the villain. A secondary antagonist is found in a reincarnated Vaati, who serves as the kings advisor. On the serface he’s a very Judge Frollo-esque villain who persecuted magic users. If you reach the end of his side-Quest line, it reveals that he’s actually stealing the magic from the witches he burns so he can re-assume his demon form. Impa and the Sheikah serve as Royale guards. Think the Dorah Mialjah from Black Panther.
SnakeFighter64 said:
Based on what you’ve told me a few ideas spring to mind. First is that I need memorable Majora’s Mask style sidequests alongside the main one. This can tie in with another idea I had had where (akin the the Batman Arkham Games) a line of interconnected quests is headed by a fight against another classic Zelda villain. I need to take my time on these. A good idea won’t come when rushed.

The description of the trinity you gave me lead me to the concept for this game’s dungeons. I was having trouble reconciling the dungeon idea with the game’s neo-urban setting, but now I think I’ve got it. In The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night, Spyro learns Breath abilities via special magical dreams. This is how I’ll approach dungeons. They will be special dream sequences activated in the temples for each goddess in a different kingdom of Neo-Hyrule. After being tested by the respective goddess Zelda will earn their respective magic power, which act as the game’s Items. First will be Nayru’s love, activated in a temple in the Gerudo city, located to the east of Hyrule City. Acting as a defensive spell which also enables Zelda to influence the minds of enemies. Farore’s wind is activated in an underwater temple in the Zora city under Hyrule’s Great Bay. Din’s Fire will be locates in a Goron Temple in their city to the south. And the Temple of Hylia in Neo Hyrule will activate Zelda’s TriForce. Fire and Wind will be treated in much the same way as Magnesis, Stasis, and Cryonis. Zelda will simply gain Areokinesis and Pyrokinesis, with all the many multiple uses in combat and puzzle solving that come from that. Zelda’s TriForce is her magical equivalent to the Master Sword. Her most powerful attacks come from that magic and she can use it to seal away demonic enemies to reap extra resources for the Magic Crafting system (more on that in a minute), a less powerful version of this magic had been at her disposal sense the beginning. One last interesting note about the dungeon systems. Each time Zelda activates a Goddess Power, The part of the Tri-Force they empower becomes partly active. Attracting the attention of Link and Ganondorf. Link actually joins you during the quest to awaken Farore’s Wind, and this is when you learn about him. Who he is beneath his “Excuse me, Princess!” Exterior. Giving the two a chance to connect as people now that they’re not just planks of wood in the character department. One of the big shocking story moments is when you awaken from Din’s dream and see Ganondorf standing over you, his TriForce Piece active. He thanks Zelda before arresting her. Sentenced to death for witchcraft, Link frees her and this begins the journey to Hylia’s Temple to fully activate the Triforce, under threat from Ganondorf’s fully powered Divine Beasts (More on them later too). This is an example of how I want the plot to drive the game. I want it to feel like you’re playing a movie. Not like MGS with long cutscenes or anything, I just want the game to feel very cinematic and very connected to the plot.

The Magic Crafting system, taught to you by HMS, allows you to brew up potions, craft magical talismans, and conjur up specific items through alchemy. Zelda doesn’t use a sword, sheild, bow, or bombs. So the talismans act as your basic weapons. Each Talisman contains a specific spell (warp, strike, leach, disguise, etc). The game’s opening sequence has you gathering the materials needed to forge the Warp and Strike talismans, and they form your base level of combat and traversal powers. Warp let’s you teleport to a specific place along your own line of sight, but it doesn’t work through walls or windows. The further a destination is (I.e. the less clear is is in your vision) the less likely you are to make the warp. Don’t try to use this for long distance travel, basically. Strike is your basic combat spell. Basically giving. Zelda her Smash Bros normals. Until you get Nayru’s love however, you can’t block attacks directly. So you have to get good at dodging and parrying enemy moves. Along the way you can choose to gather materials to forge different talismans to better customize your playtime. Do you want extra running speed? do you want to siphon enemies health? Do you want to be a tank or a Snake ;) ? That’s where the Talismans come in. The only other Talisman you are required to forge is a Disguise talisman. This turns you into Sheik. Literally. He’s a different person. He fights differently, he sneaks differently, his body is different. His mind is different. Zelda has to be careful not to loose herself in Sheik while using the talisman, but also not give herself away or this Sheikha form looses its strategic advantage. This is entirely determined by how the player performs. When they talk to people and fight enemies you have to perform a balance. Give out enough Sheik to not give yourself away, but don’t go overboard with it or Zelda will loose herself. This will affect the narrative. The ultimate test of this will be during a mission where Sheik has to be initiated into the royal guard in order for the disguise to get Zelda into secure locations, where this mechanic is on full blast. Especially during the final initiation challenge, a boss fight with Impa (who has taken on a very strict and serious, military commander role). Once initiated you also get access to the Vaati quest line, which is triggered by several missions Sheik is sent on by Impa to “keep the peace”. Your standard secret military police deal really.

One last thing about the crafting system (didn’t know how to work it in with the Talisman talk) is creating items through alchemy. This is mainly for creating one use items you give to other characters in quests. Gain the trust of a Royale Knight by fixing his Sheikha Sword. Craft a canister of motor oil to fuel a broken down vehicle you find for easier city traversal. Make a teddy bear for a crying little girl in one of the slums. All kinds of things. You can also use these crafted items to decorate your apartment and the library Zelda works for.

The final new details surround Ganondorf. Fed up with the repeated failures of magic, he has decided to use his mind and Sheikha technology to achieve his goals. And he’s almost succeeded. Inserting himself into a position of power and erasing the historical records of his past actions, the people know the evil is coming, but they don’t know it’s him. Ganondorf, helped by a Sheikha scientist (who will be an actual character that I’ve yet to name), created the Guardians as weapons of war, and along with Vaati he goads the current King and Queen into waring with the surrounding nations. Thus far he’s already conquered the Goron, Zora, Gerudo, and Rito kingdoms, and because of how much of a pushover the current king and queen are (along with the apparent absence of Zelda and Daphnes), Ganondorf basically rules Hyrule. The Divine Beasts are his ultimate weapons, powered by the TriForce, he will use them to further expand his empire on a global scale. Them being active in the game’s final segment is the ultimate test of you sneaking skills, sense there’s no way you can defeat them. His final failure in the end is what drives him, near death, to give up on reincarnation. Almost as a twisted take on David Tennant’s regeneragion scene in Doctor Who, Ganondorf becomes Calamity Ganon and retreats to the underworld to amass strength and power until the events of Breath of the Wild. This is why he’s able to easily take over the Divine Beasts and Guardians. They’re his.

One last little note. As you can probably tell, the various race kingdoms make up the areas on the map, with the addition of one kingdom I havent been able to mention until now. Underneath Hyrule, in the sewers and cave systems, lies Moblin Town. The home of the Moblins (think the Goblin Kingdom under the Mysty Mountains in The Hobbit). This is a chance to see what happens when these enemies have the chance to build up their own civilization. Physically they’re halfway between a traditional Moblin and a Bokoblin.

Wow, that’s a lot. And I wrote it all on my phone! I should probably stop here and let my creative juices flow a bit more. Eat some breakfast, take a shower, rest my fingers... Anyway, let me know what you think when you can find time to read this Monster.

Ooh. Something just popped into my head. I want Zelda to have a puppy that she raises throughout the story. A little black girl wolf husky that she names Midna for reasons she’s not not entirely aware of. Maybe it’s just the black fur.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think "Toon" Link is actually older than "Young" Link, at least in Wind Waker. So, uh, every toon game has Toon Link, and the first Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask have Young Link.
Yup.
Young Link - LoZ, OoT, MM
Teen Link - AoL, LttP, LA, Oracles, LBW, Cadence of Hyrule
Adult Link - OoT, TP, SS, Hyrule Warriors (main Link), BotW
Nah, Toon Link is more of a set design..it really never deviates from that (the sole exception being making Tri Force Heroes' Link have green hair..and I refuse to believe its the same Link as in LBWs since its the first time they so drastically changed the design for a Link mean to be the same as a previous one), which annoys me to no end..I mean, look at this..these are ALL different Links..

Compare that with every other Link which has his own unique design (includes age differences for the same Link). You can see the artwork for the character and tell which version of Link it is without extra context clues like Equipment or knowledge of what artwork goes to what game. Only direct sequel games use the same design, like Link's Awakening uses LttP's and Majora's Mask uses OoT's.

There's at least one thing different about each version of Link..something that makes it clearly this Link as opposed to that Link, like OoT Link having a collar or SS Link having bagger, tanner pants than TP Link, etc.
I know. But if you want a costume with the classic pink hair, it would fit better on Toon than Young.
If you're referring to just an alternate colour, yeah, Toon Link is better for a pink hair alt akin to how he's a good fit the NES and SNES colours he already has due to being closer to the proportions of the in-game sprite and having similar hair, but if you mean an actual alternate costume that would change the character model, than no, Young Link would fit better for a Link to the Past, Oracles, or Link Between Worlds alt due to having similar proportions.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I just remembered. I had this idea for a Mario RPG 2 but it could also work for PM. Basically a combined pastiche of a Final Fantasy protagonists the way Culex was a pastiche of FF bosses.
So a party member that is basically a dead ringer for your box standard JRPG protagonist like that Cloud lookalike in that one OK KO episode?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Ok. Which games would you classify as having "Young Link" and which would you classify as having "toon link".
Young Link is Zelda 1, LttP, Link’s Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, the Oracle games, and Link Between World

Toon Link is Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Four Sword, Four Sword Adventure, and Minish Cap

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Hey. Jump Force is being sold at a really huge discount. Should I pick it up?
What’s the discount? And it depends on how many of the characters you care about.

It’s not a really good game, and all of the value I got from it was seeing the characters from the series I like (which wasn’t even that many: DBZ, JoJo, and My Hero) together in a game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom