• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
i kind of wanna see this absurdly ambiguous world in action.

"I really like god. So much better than the other stuff"
"Hey can you pass some of the god"
"I took a class on god. science is hard"

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
You call love god because love is everywhere (what does that mean? Is love in space or underground?). The EM field is also everywhere. If the EM field is not also god, then there is some other reason that you call love god. So are fundamental fields of nature, like EM, also god? Or is there some other reason that love is called god?

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
probably the closest passage (in a Christian context) to a person believing God = love

7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

1 John 4:7-12

Anyway, leave me a message Sheridan (Edit), as in the next time you are in the area.

Pat - Sam and Emmanuel always tell me the story of how lucky and mango slept over and how ridiculously good they were at smash, haha.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
But there are so many semantically different statements that can all be stated as "X is Y."
A poodle is a dog. (Member of a set)
Fire is warm (or warmth). (Description of a property possessed)
One plus one is two. (Statement of identity)
Frank is a conservative. (Label based on shared attributes)
And so on. Is love something that is an aspect of god? Are love and god identical? Is love a description of god's actions? Is god merely a label for an existing known concept?
And for that matter, what is love?

supbro

Smash Cadet
sheridan, i am not going to convince you!

no one is!

you have to convince yourself!

i showed you how. you do three things:

1. open up your heart!

2. ask god to show himself!

3. keep your heart open during interpretation!

heart = faith

fair warning: no. 3 is, BY FAR, the hardest!

try it! what do you have to lose?

are you happy? NO! so what do you have to lose?

am i happy! YES! haven't i shown you?

daniel lee, let's chop it up!

you did ask what love is, so let me answer:

there are no degrees of love!

love is love. i cannot love god more than i love you, or you more than i love god, or god more than i love myself!

what is love? well, to me, love is this:

Tender
Love
Care

DanteFox

Smash Champion
what is love?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YXuq25BMVI
there are no degrees of love!

love is love. i cannot love god more than i love you, or you more than i love god, or god more than i love myself!
I disagree that love is love. There are various types of love, and no love is truly selfless, except God's. God is love in that he is the ultimate standard by which all others are judged, including love, and his sacrifice on the cross is the perfect example of His selfless love

supbro

Smash Cadet
i don't have sound, so i can't hear!

do you LOVE that song?

you must, right? why else would you paste it!

so allow me to show you the light from the lyrics of the very song you posted!

Don't hurt me
Bob Marley and Drake say:

when music hits you feel no pain
I love Drake! So God must be in what I love, right?

it took me one line to show you the light! how easy is this?!

here is why many people think religion is poison:

God is Love.

Man is Ego.

so he puts God in the image of himself!

Why else do you think you consider him a man?

let me give you some history:

The Sun is the Father, the Giver of All Life.

That is why God is the image of Man!

The Moon is the Mother, the Nurturer of All Life.

The Moon controls the Tide. Water.

Water nurtures all life! Without it Earth wouldn't exist!

Learn more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gaia_hypothesis

DanteFox

Smash Champion
saying religion is poison is like saying science is poison. It's how it's used that determines whether or not it's good.

no God isn't in what you like. you might make objects your god, but that doesn't mean they are actually God.

supbro

Smash Cadet
all in due time!

want to test what i said? easy:

do you feel pain when music hits you?

bbb

Smash Champion
the who gives a **** police won't have a problem filling their quota this month!

joeplicate

Smash Master
i figure, if i was gonna argue that god is love

i would say that god is the highest or the most good
and the highest happiness i can achieve is love

in that sense, love would be the instantiation of god in my life, my human way of experiencing god

(and if music brought about a feeling of love in me, then music would be godlike in a sense)

i don't know, seems alright to me haha

supbro

Smash Cadet
sometimes.
i said test, not assume!

experience is the best teacher!

"truth is what stands the test of time."

what are you afraid of?

fear is the opposite of love!

but love conquers all!

joseph, is it any wonder your name is biblical?

"how can you kill time without injuring eternity?!"

supbro

Smash Cadet
are you really trying to argue with me about love?

get over it!

if you're trolling, by the way, two things:

1. you are a genius!

2. i demand an apology!

psyche!

you're just a genius!

Kira-

Smash Champion
and the chronicles of adam continue lol

sorry it took me awhile to get back to this. I always expect to get flamed for this kind of thing, so I appreciate everyone's understanding, that was somewhat unexpected.

I don't believe Sheridan was saying anything negative by his posts. He has extremely valid points, being as intelligent as he is, and 2 years ago I probably would have agreed with him.

To answer your question I would say that love is the most defining quality of God (an aspect), rather than them being exactly one and the same. And you may reply back with all of the violent things God has done, or the things he has allowed to happen, (i.e. did he allow these people to die out of love) and that discussion may take awhile, but the very short answer would be that evil must exist for good to exist. It is possible, of course, to show love without evil in the world, but the impact of loving someone who loves you vs loving someone who hates you is changed pretty drastically.

Adam I'm down to chill sometime, picking brains can take awhile typing everything out on smashboards, if we meet at a smashfest and stuff you can ask me whatever questions you have.

lol @ pat

God put me on Earth to be a non-believer.

That's my belief
Believe it or not that's what I believe too. Well, at least so far.

dave, i'm really interested in hearing about your experiences =)

if you don't wanna post them here, could you hit me up on aim?
Yeah, maybe I can send you an email? I'm not on aim ever.. or I could just PM you. I think they would be up your alley, religious or not.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
also, 805 dont forget that we have a date for this friday
and maybe 949 is coming???

meet at stevens at 6
and tell your parents its my birthday and ask for money
cuz were going to SWAGAT INDIAN CUISINE
and all yall *****s is poor

festizzio

Smash Champion
ok i will

meet at steven's and bring ssf4, both of those

oh ya should i bring my ps3 as well? i mean i pretty much have to

mio

Smash Ace
Regarding the whole God/Love thing...

I'm a Buddhist, and Buddhism teaches that there is a natural order to the universe (most commonly known as "reality"): this may be a set of laws such as physics or science, or it may be the result of a higher being or presence such as God. In my opinion, the best forms of Buddhism don't attempt to hypothesize or absolutely declare how this natural order works (like most Western religions do), but it instead encourages its student to do his/her best to better understand and "align one's being" with this natural order, whatever it actually is. As a Buddhist and a true skeptical philosopher, I don't see enough evidence to believe whether this natural order is a higher being such as God or not.

Buddhism teaches that the "buddha", or enlightened one is infinitely aware, compassionate, loving and understanding. He/she also has inner peace and happiness that is undying. This force that allows people to become enlightened---that which motivates people to do good to themselves and to the people (and world) around them---is what I believe "love" is.

While I believe this whole "love" thing is the most powerful force in humanity and possibly the universe, it's hard for me to imagine that that's actually what makes up the natural order of this universe. I do believe in materialism (physics, science, etc.), but I don't rule out the possibility that we may all be governed by a higher being. I just don't that that higher being such as God would be made of love. I think he'd be a sick b@stard like the architect in Matrix Reloaded, making up random **** just to have fun and see what happens

DJMirror

Smash Master
I can't on friday since I have work

and Saturday I have someone's bday that I have to attend

Next week for sure?

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
Whats up mah nigs, Im moving to san clemente socal. Can someone give me the run down of where the smash fest areas are at?

lol other Kira

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
lotta peeps in/around irvine
and boss lives in oceanside(?????)

oh yeah idk jason said maybe theyd come up
they being you guys
so F.UCk YOU TOO i guess

SWAgat indian cuisine sounds like SAGAt
hmm this shift button.........................................~

Top Bottom