• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So who here DOESN'T hate Dragon Ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Everyone here seems to hate it because of the meme about Goku being in Smash Bros. I swear I'm the only fan of it here.

I like Dragonball, i just hate GT (i've only watched a few episodes tho, mostly from the Baby's arc)

Super was alright, tournament of Power was neat. Nothing beats the Namek arc from DBZ imo.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It's not that we hate Dragon Ball, it's that we hate are extremely uncomfortable with the idea of it being in Smash in direct defiance of Sakurai's vision of a celebration of the greatest characters in video games.

Last edited:

Flarzo

Smash Cadet
I have fond memories of watching dragon ball z kai on Saturday mornings as a kid, couldn't finish super though. Overall its an ok show, most people just dont like the idea of anime in smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Fellow fan here.

He'd be a good character, but in the context of a series about characters that originated in video games, he doesn't fit the point of it. And this kind of demand for a manga character isn't unprecedented, since people tried asking for Doraemon back during the Melee days.

Besides, licensing negotiations would be a nightmare.

D

Deleted member

It's not that we hate Dragon Ball, it's that we hate are extremely uncomfortable with the idea of it being in Smash in direct defiance of Sakurai's vision of a celebration of the greatest characters in video games.
So does that mean if I make a Goku Mii, am I disrespecting Sakurai and hes gonna lock my switch or something?

I think the only anime character who can be considered a game character is Goku. Others like Naruto, Luffy, Ichigo and Deku haven't had a gaming legacy like Goku has.

Hell, the first DB game came out like a few months after the anime first aired, and Namco has kept throwing us more games year after year. Plus, there's always characters like Beat, Fu, Demigra and Android 21.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
OK, so despite recent events, I would be alright with Dragon Ball representation in Smash. I don't know much about Dragon Ball but if any character were to get in on sheer fan demand alone, be it ironic or unironic, it would be Goku. And the Dragon Ball could make a neato item.
And hey, despite my not~considering him a video game character, he has had an impact on gaming that no other anime character has really, like you said.
So yeah. Just my two cents (Also if Goku were in Smash and he was cel~shaded like Dragon Ball Fighter Z, holy hell that would be amazing.)

InfiniteRE

Smash Cadet
Apparently Sean Schemmel, the voice actor of Goku, has said in the past he has not recorded any lines for the smash dev team. That is coming from his twitter page. Im willing to bet this character not being in smash with the future release of jump force, who wants to take over the anime characters universe

D

Deleted member

**** did this get moved for

Move this back to where it was, I'm still talking about games, foh.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
**** did this get moved for

Move this back to where it was, I'm still talking about games, foh.
No, you and everyone else were talking about 'Dragon Ball', the anime series that Goku was from, and wether people still like the anime despite people's overly loud interests in having him join Smash Bros, despite the fact he is an anime character first and foremost.

D

Deleted member

So does that mean if I make a Goku Mii, am I disrespecting Sakurai and hes gonna lock my switch or something?
No one suggested this. At all. I like Dragonball too but I need to be honest with you. You're getting too salty over people not being fans of the idea of Goku in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Then stop acting like Reggie's gonna send the ninjas on me for saying the G-word.

D

Deleted member

Then stop acting like Reggie's gonna send the ninjas on me for saying the G-word.
I’m not. And many people you claim are doing so actually aren’t doing this either. Sorry to say, you’re just being paranoid.

D

Deleted member

I’m not. And many people you claim are doing so actually aren’t doing this either. Sorry to say, you’re just being paranoid.
Liar. Why has everyone overreacted to me saying that name and even my profile picture?

D

Deleted member

Liar. Why has everyone overreacted to me saying that name and even my profile picture?
They haven’t. You just think they are because you’re so delusional about everyone being so against the idea of Goku that they’ll harass anyone who likes the idea that you fail to realize that lots of people who don’t care for the idea are pretty respectful about it to those who do. That, and your delusions are leading you to act like kind of a jerk yourself. If you’re resorting to calling people liars for pointing this out, then there’s no purpose in continuing this any further.

D

Deleted member

They haven’t. You just think they are because you’re so delusional about everyone being so against the idea of Goku that they’ll harass anyone who likes the idea that you fail to realize that lots of people who don’t care for the idea are pretty respectful about it to those who do. That, and your delusions are leading you to act like kind of a jerk yourself. If you’re resorting to calling people liars for pointing this out, then there’s no purpose in continuing this any further.
You just haven't seen it unfold yourself. Try it here, on Twitter, on Google+ and on Discord. You'll get bombarded with hate.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
You just haven't seen it unfold yourself. Try it here, on Twitter, on Google+ and on Discord. You'll get bombarded with hate.
That's having an unpopular opinion on the Internet for you.
I know you know this, with one of your statuses starting with "You know what? **** it. I'm gonna say it right here and right now." If you're going to have an unpopular opinion, you have to accept that people probably won't respond in the best way. Doesn't help that Goku in Smash is and has been a meme in the gaming community for years now (not saying this is your fault)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
That's having an unpopular opinion on the Internet for you.
I know you know this, with one of your statuses starting with "You know what? **** it. I'm gonna say it right here and right now." If you're going to have an unpopular opinion, you have to accept that people probably won't respond in the best way. Doesn't help that Goku in Smash is and has been a meme in the gaming community for years now (not saying this is your fault)
Yeah, but you've been shaming us DB fans for liking the series because of this meme. Play ****** all you want, but that's what you've been doing.

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Yeah, but you've been shaming us DB fans for liking the series because of this meme. Play ****** all you want, but that's what you've been doing.
Bro he never said anything like that
People only dislike the idea of Goku in smash not the anime itself
That's a completely different thing
If you like DBZ then okay
The whole smash community isn't gonna come after you for it

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Love DB and DB games. I am also curious to see how Sakurai would tackle him in Smash's environment. And the music would be baller.

However, people don't like the idea of Goku in Smash for a few reasons:

1. It will open the door to other characters who originated outside of a video game, including other anime protagonists, western characters, and so on.

2. Sakurai has stated time and time again it is a celebration of video games. While I agree that a lot of high quality games use properties from non-gaming series, the point is that they are intentionally made to be a video game character first. Not the other way around.

3. A lot of people would see it as Smash going full MUGEN rather than grounded in reality as it currently is.

D

Deleted member

Love DB and DB games. I am also curious to see how Sakurai would tackle him in Smash's environment. And the music would be baller.

However, people don't like the idea of Goku in Smash for a few reasons:

1. It will open the door to other characters who originated outside of a video game, including other anime protagonists, western characters, and so on.

2. Sakurai has stated time and time again it is a celebration of video games. While I agree that a lot of high quality games use properties from non-gaming series, the point is that they are intentionally made to be a video game character first. Not the other way around.

3. A lot of people would see it as Smash going full MUGEN rather than grounded in reality as it currently is.
Wrong wrong wrong.

1. No, it wouldn't. Naruto, Luffy, Deku and other characters aren't qualified like Goku because they haven't done a goddamn thing when it comes to the world of gaming.

2. Then at least give us someone like Fu, Android 21, Beat/Note, Demigra, Mira etc;.

3. It would only be full out MUGEN if you had a character like Shrek or SpongeBob. Goku wouldn't be a character like that.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
None of us here hate Dragon Ball Z or Goku at all. We just don't like the idea of opening a pandora's box of characters that haven't originated from a video game/game series into Smash Bros, and Goku is one of those characters. It goes against why Sakurai created Smash Bros in the first place. To celebrate Nintendo and gaming as a whole.

I recommend you watch the video below on Goku and Super Smash Bros.

Rate Their Chances for Goku. Go to 13:08.

D

Deleted member

Oh
None of us here hate Dragon Ball Z or Goku at all. We just don't like the idea of opening a pandora's box of characters that haven't originated from a video game/game series into Smash Bros, and Goku is one of those characters. It goes against why Sakurai created Smash Bros in the first place. To celebrate Nintendo and gaming as a whole.

I recommend you watch the video below on Goku and Super Smash Bros.

Rate Their Chances for Goku. Go to 13:08.
What the **** do you want now

D

Deleted member

Oh

What the **** do you want now
For you to stop dragging down the smashboards community by letting the actions of a small amount of people who act immature about their dislike of Goku lead you into being nothing more than a whiny and way too easily triggered fanboy.

D

Deleted member

Look at me, a Dragon Ball fan with a Dragon Ball avatar telling you to calm your ****.

D

Deleted member

For you to stop dragging down the smashboards community by letting the actions of a small amount of people who act immature about their dislike of Goku lead you into being nothing more than a whiny and way too easily triggered fanboy.
well they've been ****ing with me for months on end. I have to fight back. I'm not gonna block them like a *****.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
What's your game~plan here, Electrichu300?
Are you trying to convince people that Goku would be a good Smash Bros. character by yelling at them and telling them to #%@! off?
Are you trying to find someone that shares your opinion by being abrasive to everyone that doesn't?
You've made your feelings especially clear on the matter and everyone else has too. You can't get mad if you ask a question and get an answer that you don't like. And if you do, don't expect a medal for it. I've said my piece. I'm done.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What's your game~plan here, Electrichu300?
Are you trying to convince people that Goku would be a good Smash Bros. character by yelling at them and telling them to #%@! off?
Are you trying to find someone that shares your opinion by being abrasive to everyone that doesn't?
You've made your feelings especially clear on the matter and everyone else has too. You can't get mad if you ask a question and get an answer that you don't like. And if you do, don't expect a medal for it. I've said my piece. I'm done.
You only just started jumping in when it got heated.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Wrong wrong wrong.

1. No, it wouldn't. Naruto, Luffy, Deku and other characters aren't qualified like Goku because they haven't done a goddamn thing when it comes to the world of gaming.
Erm they did. There's plenty of high selling Naruto, SpongeBob, Yu-Gi-Oh and whatever games to this day.

And if Goku got in then people will start requesting Luffy, Naruto, and co due to it being possible now. And yes they have large, large fanbases.

2. Then at least give us someone like Fu, Android 21, Beat/Note, Demigra, Mira etc;.
I mean they could but that would be strange. Dragon Ball character but it is a one-off OC in a video game? Not entirely representative of the source material there, bud.

3. It would only be full out MUGEN if you had a character like Shrek or SpongeBob. Goku wouldn't be a character like that.
That's entirely subjective, but adding any anime character would have that effect on a multitude of people.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Erm they did. There's plenty of high selling Naruto, SpongeBob, Yu-Gi-Oh and whatever games to this day.

And if Goku got in then people will start requesting Luffy, Naruto, and co due to it being possible now. And yes they have large, large fanbases.

I mean they could but that would be strange. Dragon Ball character but it is a one-off OC in a video game? Not entirely representative of the source material there, bud.

That's entirely subjective, but adding any anime character would have that effect on a multitude of people.
Didn't Yu-Gi-Oh start off as a game? And no. SpongeBob and Naruto's irrelevant ass ain't at ****in EVO. And if the characters actually made for the game don't work for you, then how about XENO Goku? He isn't exactly the same Goku as the main series one. And if you think that adding one character like this would ruin your life, then you're exactly the type of person I was talking about.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Didn't Yu-Gi-Oh start off as a game? And no. SpongeBob and Naruto's irrelevant *** ain't at ****in EVO. And if the characters actually made for the game don't work for you, then how about XENO Goku? He isn't exactly the same Goku as the main series one. And if you think that adding one character like this would ruin your life, then you're exactly the type of person I was talking about.
Nope - Yugioh was a manga at first.

Of course they aren't at EVO. They aren't competitive games. Being at EVO doesn't instantly make it an iconic video game either.

I literally said nothing about "ruining my life" but it seems Goku's absence is having that effect on you. Have a good day and enjoy FighterZ for your Goku fix.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nope - Yugioh was a manga at first.

Of course they aren't at EVO. They aren't competitive games. Being at EVO doesn't instantly make it an iconic video game either.

I literally said nothing about "ruining my life" but it seems Goku's absence is having that effect on you. Have a good day and enjoy FighterZ for your Goku fix.
So now MUGEN and FighterZ are bad games because of Goku. Logic, am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom