• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So whats holding him back =O

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Olimar - Last two tier lists on 10 ...

So whats holding him back ? I cant believe that it's only the recovery because that would be the only real disadventage and a pro can get around one bad thing...

So is there anything I miss ? For me he seems quick + strong and has one of the Top 4 Grab games (Along with DDD, Falco & IC).

Maybe this thread can be used to discuss any disadventages and how we could get around them :)

Well I post this because I'm thinking of maining Olimar, he just is too much **** somehow o_O

~xDD

IcyLight

Smash Lord
his bad recovery, believe it or not. i'de say he is like the 2nd best character on the stage, once he gets off we lose if they aren't bad

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Recovery is very important, what screws him up about his recovery is that it doesnt grab the ledge after knocking off ledge hoggers. So basiclly if your olimar and r knocked far offstage. Too far to jump on the stage or uair ledge hoggers and your opponent grabs the ledge. Your screwed. Olimar is light and can be KO'd very easily especially if u dont DI correctly. Plus he's not a very popular character, so not many olimars r going to tournaments which means theres a low chance of olimar winning any given tournament. Bad matchups with Marth and MK mess him up considering how frequent they are at tournies.

Fino

Smash Master
icwutudidthar

However, pikmin hierarchy is red, yellow, blue, white, purple. ;D

As for olimar's placement on the tier list, I don't think it really matters. You have to understand out of 30 some odd characters in the game, top 10 is pretty good.

~Fino

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Yeah being in the top 10 is good. Not a lot of people like using Olimar because of him recovery. Pretty much light + bad recovery = fail :(. And yes if his recover latched onto the edge even if someone was already there, or if he had like falcos up B instead (one of the worst up B's that isnt teather yet its fair to use in this example instead of saying yoshi's up B) then he would probably be the 2nd best character in the game

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Olimar should be ninth. People discovered Pikachu's chaingrabs on mk and other characters and started freaking out before they realized that they're not as good as they originally though. Olimar is better than Pikachu.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Priority is the big one that I hate as well. If the pikmin I use in attacks wouldn't die every time someone hit them, and instead their priority worked like a regular disjointed hitbox, I'd be much better off.

His recovery is... bleh too. It could be worse though. At least it's not Ivysaur's.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
If the pikmin I use in attacks wouldn't die every time someone hit them, and instead their priority worked like a regular disjointed hitbox....Olimar would be completely and irreparably broken.
I fixed it for youuuuu.

Noa.

Smash Master
The reason why Olimar isn't higher is because the characters over him are currently better.

Albeit, Pikachu is definetly not better than Olimar. We camp much more effectively, stop approaches better, and have an easier time killing. We also have much better matchups than Pikachu does, espicially against the top tiers.

We are probably better than G&W right now. We have much better matchups with the high and top tiers in comparison to G&W. And G&W's approaches aren't too reliable. G&W's metagame has dried up lately and if we keep developing ours we'll overtake him.

Marth for now is definitely better than us. The only advantage we have on him is that we fare better against top tiers, but that's not enough to warrant us above him. He has very solid approaches and a very good defensive game. I don't see Olimar as a better character than Marth right now.

Recovery isn't really a big weakness now. With good DI and a smart head, you should make it back every time. The only exception is against MK, but practically every character gets gimped by him anyway. What most people fail to realize with recovering is that you do not have to grab the ledge with UpB. You can just land on stage without use of the ledge. Once you learn that you'll rarely get gimped. You shouldn't get gimped more than once in a set.

His low priority is a bigger problem. If he had even decent priority on only his usmash, I think he would be top tier. Peach and Luigi would not be a bad matchup if we could use usmash to hit them while they're in the air. Good priority would make Olimar top tier.

Llumys

Smash Champion
The reason he's not top tier is because he's not 50-50 with Meta Knight.

That's one requirement to be top tier that Olimar doesn't have. ;o

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Recovery isn't really a big weakness now. With good DI and a smart head, you should make it back every time. The only exception is against MK, but practically every character gets gimped by him anyway. What most people fail to realize with recovering is that you do not have to grab the ledge with UpB. You can just land on stage without use of the ledge. Once you learn that you'll rarely get gimped. You shouldn't get gimped more than once in a set.
No. The exception is any smart edgeguarder. Even if you make it back to the edge, a good player won't let you back on the stage to set up any kind of control, since oli can't land well because he's so floaty and predictable in the air. All of his attacks (even nair you olis that obsess over it so much) can easily be shield grabbed when oli is trying to land.

Noa.

Smash Master
No. The exception is any smart edgeguarder. Even if you make it back to the edge, a good player won't let you back on the stage to set up any kind of control, since oli can't land well because he's so floaty and predictable in the air. All of his attacks (even nair you olis that obsess over it so much) can easily be shield grabbed when oli is trying to land.
That's where your other option comes in. If they're trying to attack you when you land on stage, go for the ledge instead. Ledge is a nice option when they smarten up and try to keep you from getting directly onstage.

The reason he's not top tier is because he's not 50-50 with Meta Knight.

That's one requirement to be top tier that Olimar doesn't have. ;o
DDD, Diddy and Falco all don't go even with MK.

Weruop

Smash Ace
Recovery is very important, what screws him up about his recovery is that it doesnt grab the ledge after knocking off ledge hoggers. So basiclly if your olimar and r knocked far offstage. Too far to jump on the stage or uair ledge hoggers and your opponent grabs the ledge. Your screwed. Olimar is light and can be KO'd very easily especially if u dont DI correctly. Plus he's not a very popular character, so not many olimars r going to tournaments which means theres a low chance of olimar winning any given tournament. Bad matchups with Marth and MK mess him up considering how frequent they are at tournies.
not necessarily. if u are smart and keep the whistle order in ur head and have can have purples near within a few whistles, that can also be a big part of recovering
whistle isnt even always necessary. sometimes a few upairs during ur di process can land u a purple next.

anyways, recovery is one thing holding olimar back obviously. the other being priority. his grab is also useless in a few tough situations due to its speed and no super armor

Dyyne

Smash Ace
That's where your other option comes in. If they're trying to attack you when you land on stage, go for the ledge instead. Ledge is a nice option when they smarten up and try to keep you from getting directly onstage.
Right... at which point, you'll be trapped until you attempt to actually get on the stage, when what I described previously will happen. Oli can't do **** if he's trapped on the ledge.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
hmmmm I agree that Olimar should be 8th place. He does have some decent priority on fsmash, and his uair is disjointed so ^.^ . Avoiding the gimp depends on the skill of the player using oli vs the skill of the player fighting oli, and its easier to gimp then to avoid the gimp. being gimped more then once in a match is unlikely. And finally we have predictable recovery.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
this. any time i do make it back against fatal when im forced to upb towards stage, he just gets up and utilts me. death. or he regrabs and throws off and repeats. it's pretty dumb imo

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Why is priority such a big deal? Oh well, not like I have any problems with it anyway.

As for the recovery, Pikmin Chain's ability to grab the edge is ridiculously disjointed (granted, not quite something you can count on fully, but you can grab the edge from a decently HIGHER altitude, so I'm not following a myth like with Meta Knight's Down Smash and Snake's tilt disjoints--which aren't that big), on top of the fact that Pikmin Chain itself is instantaneous. This makes it risky for the opponent to gimp Olimar just by grabbing the edge, because they could get hit before grabbing the edge, die (from bouncing off the edge), instant stock advantage for Olimar.

How is Olimar not top 5 at least again?

daisho

Smash Lord
How is Olimar not top 5 at least again?
Because your opponent can recover from any deficit extremely easily. He can just knock you offstage and gimp you.

That being said... Olimar is the funnest character in the game by so much so i really don't care where he is ranked. But 10 is actually pretty good, it basically means that he can wing tournaments.

I just picked up olimar yesterday because he seemed good and he is definitely going to be my main (along with DK of course).

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I wouldnt think olimar is better then marth, but I think olimar is better then D3, G&W, and Pikachu. Counters snake, even with wario and falco and diddy, while D3 gets coutered hard by falco, G&W gets countered hard by snake, and diddy, and pikachu is countered by G&W and diddy. Olimar is way good on stage and can get around being gimped most of the time with proper DI.He should be 7th imo.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Here's the number 1 reason Olimar doesn't place higher:

With every other "good" character, if they make a small mistake, they get punished in the form of taking 10-20% or so.

With Olimar, if you make a mistake, you might lose a stock, regardless of the % you are at.

It's pretty much impossible for me to play Olimar when I'm tired, because soooo much thought goes into playing Olimar. Olimar can get gimped very easily at any %. Once he gets hit off stage, all your opponent has to do is hit Olimar out of his 2nd jump, and there goes a stock.

tl;dr: Olimar gets punished much harder by his mistakes than the rest of the cast.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Because your opponent can recover from any deficit extremely easily. He can just knock you offstage and gimp you.

That being said... Olimar is the funnest character in the game by so much so i really don't care where he is ranked. But 10 is actually pretty good, it basically means that he can wing tournaments.

I just picked up olimar yesterday because he seemed good and he is definitely going to be my main (along with DK of course).
Here's the number 1 reason Olimar doesn't place higher:

With every other "good" character, if they make a small mistake, they get punished in the form of taking 10-20% or so.

With Olimar, if you make a mistake, you might lose a stock, regardless of the % you are at.

It's pretty much impossible for me to play Olimar when I'm tired, because soooo much thought goes into playing Olimar. Olimar can get gimped very easily at any %. Once he gets hit off stage, all your opponent has to do is hit Olimar out of his 2nd jump, and there goes a stock.

tl;dr: Olimar gets punished much harder by his mistakes than the rest of the cast.
Did you two not read what I just said? He doesn't get simply gimped that easily without very risk, especially if the Olimar is competent. YoshSSB ate a stock loss in one of his attempts to gimp me. I'm not saying the method of ledge-grab is futile, but it's seriously risky against smart Olimars.

And I'd also like to add that to exploit Olimar's recovery weakness, you have to, oh right, get him off balance first. Good luck with that, because Olimar's on-balance game is OTT even without the Pikmin color tracking, what with generally near-instantaneous if not instantaneous attacks and the ranged grab. HAL thought it would be a good idea to make his general weakness lie in his off-balance game, which only makes sense on paper, but in practice, it's either a Skill Gate Character like Pit, or an exact opposite.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Did you two not read what I just said? He doesn't get simply gimped that easily without very risk, especially if the Olimar is competent. YoshSSB ate a stock loss in one of his attempts to gimp me. I'm not saying the method of ledge-grab is futile, but it's seriously risky against smart Olimars.

And I'd also like to add that to exploit Olimar's recovery weakness, you have to, oh right, get him off balance first. Good luck with that, because Olimar's on-balance game is OTT even without the Pikmin color tracking, what with generally near-instantaneous if not instantaneous attacks and the ranged grab. HAL thought it would be a good idea to make his general weakness lie in his off-balance game, which only makes sense on paper, but in practice, it's either a Skill Gate Character like Pit, or an exact opposite.
stop complaining about Pit, geez.

Depending on the character you play with, Getting Olimar off balance, and then gimped varies on many levels. But there are always some levels of whcih character, they will have a much easier time then you will let them beleive.

MK, Luigi, Marth, R.O.B., mainly characters with many jumps have an easy time getting Olimar gimped no matter how many mindgames you throw into your recovery, or ways you get around being ledge hogged.

for example: from a certain distance down even with a Purple Pikmin at hand, your attempts to recovery are neigh more than futile. There are options, like Upair for recovery heigjt, and same thing with air dodging, but you own't recover if they have a good recovery, or are just smart enough to use invincibility frames or use common sense and get on the stage, at the correct time where they will be safe from damage and your still dead.

Characters like R.O.B, MK, GnW, ect. can do such amazingly gay/funny things to your recovery that if you were'nt getting gimped by them you might just sit and laugh at it.
Say you've both Double Jumps and your offstage at 40 because you got grabbed by uhhh let's go with D3. He bthrows you off stage. Your off stage at 40 with both double jumps and just by some random luck of their account not yours you get hit with Fair/Bair. You DI the right way and everything, up and toward the stage. You are now in a horrid situation, but you don't realize it. The opponent has multiple jumps, that can lead to you losing a stock off of two hits, you decide to be safe use your other jumps, and to be even more protective you spam whistle!(correctly not all noobish-like.) You make it back to the stage safely, but before you touch the ground you get grabbed again by D3, and thrown off stage. WOW, unless you have some miracle DI(which is possible to Di back from not saying it's an auto - stock loss by any means) but you have an extremely hard time getting back to the stage in a proper fashion, while still worrying about not getting hit, by sime huge rapist penguin, with (compared to yours) god like recovery, and an amazing gimp ability.

Tis is one of the many circumstances, that happen that make people groan.
But also think, Gimping is the MAIN way, to kill Olimar, and the faster people find ways to do this efficiently with their character the worse off we are.

This is what's holding Olimar back.

Weruop

Smash Ace
Olimar - Last two tier lists on 10 ...

So whats holding him back ? I cant believe that it's only the recovery because that would be the only real disadventage and a pro can get around one bad thing...

So is there anything I miss ? For me he seems quick + strong and has one of the Top 4 Grab games (Along with DDD, Falco & IC).

Maybe this thread can be used to discuss any disadventages and how we could get around them :)

Well I post this because I'm thinking of maining Olimar, he just is too much **** somehow o_O

~xDD
to answer this question with the best of my ability, the main thing holding olimar back is the oddly low priority of his disjointed hitbox attacks, followed not too far behind by recovery

if u look at olimars most horrible matchups ( luigi, peach, marth, imo) u see that the reason they have such a huge advantage is mostly because they outprioritze olimar. same with ROB. ROB is also good at gimping though, just like falco & meta. ( and ROB MK and Falco are 3 of some of olimars toughest matchups behind luigi peach and marth )

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
it's a combination of recovery, weight and weird priority that keeps him back a bit

also, he needs to find a way to make all his pikmin purple, that would make him top tier

asob4

Smash Champion
nooo
purple and blues only
then he's be top tier
hard to grab with purps
purp toss to blue throw ftw

RichBrown

Smash Master
Someone told me that it would be cool if Olimar could control the color pikmin he plucked by using the whistle

It would work the same way as arranging the pikmin in his line does

How sick would that be

Llumys

Smash Champion

DDD, Diddy and Falco all don't go even with MK.
Diddy and Falco are pretty even with Meta Knight, and Dedede's up there because he has the best match-ups in the game.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
*reads nothing of thread*

interesting little trick im gonna work on, when recovering, if you know your opponent is gonna grab the edge or has already and wasted his/ her invincibility frames, do a fair, unless its a stage like halberd when its flying, it will stage spike and give you a free kill, recently just did it to a diddy at a last stock for us both, last resort move, i killed it barely because of it, we were both like 150%

TL:DR; fair when recovering= free stage spikes

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Falco cg, to spike really hurts, but the matchup isnt that bad, its even. Rob hurts, can camp from farther and gimp. We can't hit MK, Peach, and Luigi out of the air, luigi's cyclone hurts. The MK boards say it is 55-45 on neutrals and halberd, but seriously if MK gets us off stage ITS OVER.

I agree when it is said that Oli makes a mistake and loses a stock at any percent, and that is the reason he isnt that much higher.

D3 does not have the best matchups in the game, he has soooooo many counters.

The short reach of purples can be annoying, I would say all blues and reds for olimar, and he would be S tier ^.^

Fino

Smash Master
Falco cg, to spike really hurts, but the matchup isnt that bad, its even. Rob hurts, can camp from farther and gimp. We can't hit MK, Peach, and Luigi out of the air, luigi's cyclone hurts. The MK boards say it is 55-45 on neutrals and halberd, but seriously if MK gets us off stage ITS OVER.

I agree when it is said that Oli makes a mistake and loses a stock at any percent, and that is the reason he isnt that much higher.

D3 does not have the best matchups in the game, he has soooooo many counters.

The short reach of purples can be annoying, I would say all blues and reds for olimar, and he would be S tier ^.^
Please leave

~Fino

G&W X

Smash Cadet
Fino why do you keep either insulting people or asking them to leave....they are just contributing their opinions even though some don't main Olimar let them say what they want...

Noa.

Smash Master
While Fino's response may have been blunt, Tin man seems to be ignorant.

I suggest you lurk for a while. Not just the Olimar boards, but smashboards in general. Learn some more before you post.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
There was nothing wrong with Tin Man's posts at all. He gave his opinion in a thread that was asking for it. You don't have to be a top level olimar to post in this thread.

He did make one mistake though :x

I would say all blues and yellow for olimar, and he would be S tier ^.^

fix'd :D

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Tin Man is still learning, and he does back up his opinions. Though i chuckled on the red and yellow part. lol

Fino

Smash Master
Falco cg, to spike really hurts
No, Falco's CG to spike would only work on olimar only if he's at the ledge. Also, you can tether cancel the spike, so it's not even noteworthy in the match-up.
Rob hurts, can camp from farther and gimp.
Rob is an easy match-up. Arguably 55-45 to 60-40 in our favor. We easily out camp Rob. The only thing that gives olimar trouble against rob is his tilts. As soon as rob is in the air he's juggled to a high percent for an upsmash (which will kill at aroun 80% with a purple).
Also, all of rob's aerials can be seen from miles away... meaning they're easily whistled... I could be wrong, so please explain how rob gimps olimar?
We can't hit MK, Peach, and Luigi out of the air, luigi's cyclone hurts.
Oh shi- did they get invincibility frame in the air all of a sudden? Last I checked, you can hit all three of those characters in the air with either spaced aerials or spaced smashes.

The MK boards say it is 55-45 on neutrals and halberd, but seriously if MK gets us off stage ITS OVER.
I agree with the mk boards except on halberd, more for the mere fact that when they're at high 60%'s they're in kill range, and halberd discourages horizontal kills (for the most part) which is what mk succeeds in.

Upsmash with a purple pikmin... and then tell me they lack range. Also, purple pikmin toss ravages some match-ups. Reds are probably the least favorite pikmin of olimar users (and whites), though I don't mind them myself. They aren't the best however.

*waits for another infraction*

~Fino

Top Bottom