• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what were they thinking?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still Ike could swing it just as fast at enemies as if it was a mere Slim Sword so it still doesn't make sence to me that Ike's so slow.

RWB

Smash Ace
No Ragnell isn't all that big. Seriously, it's even smaller than the Iron Blade in PoR, and most likely even lighter too.

I personally don't mind Ike having some lag in his moves, as it fits his reckless side but being so laggy that he's even slower than BOWSER is going too far. Besides, Ike wasn't that strong in Fire Emblem... >_>
*Spoilery pic...*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/VincentASM/FE10/CG/30.jpg

Yeah, Ragnell isn't big. Just longer than its original owner.

The only FE sword that has been bigger is Durandal. Which also was larger than it's original owner, from what I can remember.

Sentenal

Smash Cadet
Actually, weapon weights are just the same in FE6. However, Sword of Seals is a 8 in wt, compared to 20 of Ragnell.

And no, Ragnell is MUCH bigger than SoS, even in ingame animations. Perhaps Durandal of FE7 would be a better comparance.... As Ragnell is that length?
Yeah, the Durandal is much bigger than both swords, but the SoS is a bigger weapon. Just look at its sprite:

Long and broad. Much bigger/fatter than Ragnell, which was a one-handed sword in PoR.

And the weight system is different, as GBA FE games had a stagnant CON stat, while STR basically replaced it in PoR. And since STR gets much higher than CON stats, weapon weights were increased, for balance purposes.

RWB

Smash Ace

Long and broad. Much bigger/fatter than Ragnell
False. Roy is very tiny. SoS is bigger than the average sword, but still far smaller than PoR Ragnell, and even moreso GoD Ragnell.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
If you guys have played PoR, you know that Ike is strong, fast, good skill, and good defence. Sounds like it should be a balanced character, right? Now why did they just drop speed off of him entirely? Ragnell didn't weigh him down one bit in the game either.

Honestly, Ike is a crappier version of what I was hoping the new Ganondorf would be. A slow, strong sword user, instead of all the fast/crappy ones.
In RD Ike has speed issues. This could be from RD Ike.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
In RD Ike has speed issues. This could be from RD Ike.
The problem with that theory is that they used unpromoted PoR Ike for the model. I think if they were going to use RD Ike, they would have also used that character model (and I can't really say I would complain, although his commander model would be best. Hope it's a secondary)

True Fool

Smash Ace
I honestly don't care if he is a slow hard-hitter. Supposedly he kind of was in RD (even though that's obviously PoR Ike), but what they did just went way too far. How do you add other slow swordsmen like Ganondorf, or even an axemen like Hector now, would they really make them slower?

How do you just take a smallish character, don't even increase the size of the sword to help him out a little, and decide "Lets make sure this guy won't be hitting anything with those strong attacks. Oh, I know, lets make him slow!"

Actually, Ike is like a nightmarish version of what I would want out of Eliwood if he was playable. Take Ike's sword, make it MUCH bigger, give him more post-lag and a LITTLE less pre-lag, and I would take that as a slow character. Not this strange mixture of garbage that appears to be Ike.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I consider myself fairly knowledgable about FE, and I really think they got Ike all wrong. Ike is indeed one of the fastest characters in game. But, Ike should NOT be strong. For half the **** game in FE9, Ike's offense sucks balls. Mediocre at best strength, combined with being locked into swords. Ike has pissed me off in hard mode, at least until he promotes, that I almost started to hate him. Ike should have been a fast character, who doesn't have powerful attacks. Its like, they made Ike the reverse of what he should have been.

And he should be made different than Marth. But making him slow as balls isn't the only way to do that. For one, Ike would actually have a ranged attack thanks to the Ragnell, while Marth doesn't in Melee. And his fighting style is pretty different than Marth's melee style as well, so they could have drawn some moves from that area as well.

Yeah, endgame, with 20/20 stats, Ike has good stats in everything. Of course they aren't going to model him after that. That would be broken. But, they could at least model him as to how he plays in the game; fast, but ****ty power. He would be usable that way.

Oh yeah, build=/=weight, in FE. Ragnell does not weigh twice as much as Ike >_>
You're right, Ragnell doesn't weigh twice as much as Ike, it's significantly heavier than that. I'm comparing it to other FE weapons, namely Armads, which is the only weapon to really give a good indication of it's weight, which is obviously incredibly high. It smashes into the ground when Hector drops it off his shoulder.....and Ragnell is heavier.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
More on the topic of how much the sword weighs, omg, Ike apparently is only twice as heavy as a Daggar. Must be some beastly daggers they use. And a simple throwing axe? wow, those are heavier than Ike too?

And @people who say "It makes sense for someone using a two-handed sword to be slower." Yeah, and it also makes sense for someone to die after getting hit with a missile. Or sliced down the middle by a sword. So, if we are all about logic, shouldn't Ike OHKO people, because if you get slashed with a sword, logically, you're gonna die. Or at least have some body part cut off. O wait, Smash brothers isn't like that! My bad.
That's because stats are exponential. A wyvern has a wt of 30 iirc, but they are well over 3x the weight of Ike. That means that a wt of 2-3 is not as much as a difference as from say 15-16. Also, take a character with 15 str. A character with 30 str is double only in numbers, the actual strength is more than double. This is obvious just by looking at other things in the game.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
You're right, Ragnell doesn't weigh twice as much as Ike, it's significantly heavier than that. I'm comparing it to other FE weapons, namely Armads, which is the only weapon to really give a good indication of it's weight, which is obviously incredibly high. It smashes into the ground when Hector drops it off his shoulder.....and Ragnell is heavier.
Two things:

1. Stop comparing FE stats for this. You're gonna get the thread closed by Gimpy.

2. In game weight stats don't work for showing the actual weight of the sword. They did that to make it fair and not allow Ike to hit people like 5 times a la Regal Sword. The Ragnell is probably your average broadsword weight-wise (at least it was in PoR), as he could hold it easily in one hand.

Obviously in Brawl it's been increased in size but it's still not ridiculously heavy as Armads/Almace was. That was specifically said to be a really heavy weapon in the storyline, thus the smash when dropped to the ground.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Well, I do think one thing nearly everyone has agreed on is less start up delay on his attacks. That makes a character unplayable in multiplayer, really... and considering at it's heart, Brawl will be multiplayer, it leaves a dead character.

I stand by my previous Ike, and would probably enjoy using him even though I prefer faster characters and he would still be "slow". The real difference is that he would be playable...

Sentenal

Smash Cadet
What the hell? Why is it that I can say "Build =/= Weight" 5000 times, and people don't listen? Ragnell is not twice as heavy as Ike. It isn't even half of Ike's weight. A unit's build just refers to their bulk, and therefore shoving/rescuing. It is NOT weight.

Plus, as I also said (which you ignored), weight is different in GBA FEs than FE9. GBA FE use CON. FE9 uses STR. They are therefore scaled differently.

If you seriously think that build=weight, then Ike would weigh less than a freaking IRON AXE.

That's because stats are exponential. A wyvern has a wt of 30 iirc, but they are well over 3x the weight of Ike. That means that a wt of 2-3 is not as much as a difference as from say 15-16. Also, take a character with 15 str. A character with 30 str is double only in numbers, the actual strength is more than double. This is obvious just by looking at other things in the game.
STR is a much different stat than Build. You can say STR is "exponential", but that is because that stat is using in combat, with dealing damage. Build is not, and only used in shoving/rescuing, so is not exponential. And I really don't want to go into a huge stat debate here, I do that enough.

RWB

Smash Ace
What the hell? Why is it that I can say "Build =/= Weight" 5000 times, and people don't listen? Ragnell is not twice as heavy as Ike. It isn't even half of Ike's weight. A unit's build just refers to their bulk, and therefore shoving/rescuing. It is NOT weight.
The characters have a WT stat in FE9.

Ike has 9 WT(Equal to his build, btw.). Haar has 42, thanks to the wyvern and his armor. Ragnell hass 20 WT.

Seriously, did you really play the game?

If you seriously think that build=weight, then Ike would weigh less than a freaking IRON AXE.
Statwise, he weighs less. Ikes WT, not only build, is 9. Of course, that's not physically possible.

See why using Ike's game stats for how he should be quicker doesn't work? Ragnell can't weigh twice as much as Ike.

But Likewise, Ike cannot wield a sword the size of a twohanded sword in one hand and still be a speedster, espescially since he is quite skinny. He SHOULD be slow.

And @people who say "It makes sense for someone using a two-handed sword to be slower." Yeah, and it also makes sense for someone to die after getting hit with a missile. Or sliced down the middle by a sword. So, if we are all about logic, shouldn't Ike OHKO people, because if you get slashed with a sword, logically, you're gonna die. Or at least have some body part cut off. O wait, Smash brothers isn't like that! My bad.
...And it makes sence for Ike to be speedy even though he is having a spd of 12 with ragnell?

The sword is making him lose several points of AS.

Remember, It's ranger Ike.
And Ike's Ranger and Lord animations are not that much faster than brawl Ike. Really. They're not all that fast.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
If you guys have played PoR, you know that Ike is strong, fast, good skill, and good defence. Sounds like it should be a balanced character, right? Now why did they just drop speed off of him entirely? Ragnell didn't weigh him down one bit in the game either.

Honestly, Ike is a crappier version of what I was hoping the new Ganondorf would be. A slow, strong sword user, instead of all the fast/crappy ones.
They were thinking "lets make Ike a heavy fighter." That should be obvious at this point.

Sentenal

Smash Cadet

Ike has 9 WT(Equal to his build, btw.). Haar has 42, thanks to the wyvern and his armor. Ragnell hass 20 WT.

Seriously, did you really play the game?
Yes, I did play the game, *******. And I'm going to say this again, since you are a moron: WEAPON WEIGHT IS NOT THE SAME AS BUILD, OR 'WEIGHT' (which is really just AID from previous games).

Statwise, he weighs less. Ikes WT, not only build, is 9. Of course, that's not physically possible.
No he doesn't, you moron. Go on any Fire Emblem forum out there, and say Ike weighs less than a Hand Axe, and get laughed at. Please.

Of course Ike doesn't weigh less than an Iron Axe. That was my point. Or a throwing weapon like a Hand Axe or a Javelin. That is more than proof enough that weapon weight is not the same. You go on and on about how he weighs less than Ragnell, thinking weapon weight is the same. And then admit its different here. GJ.

See why using Ike's game stats for how he should be quicker doesn't work? Ragnell can't weigh twice as much as Ike.

But Likewise, Ike cannot wield a sword the size of a twohanded sword in one hand and still be a speedster, espescially since he is quite skinny. He SHOULD be slow.
Did you play the game? If they are going to put Ike in SSBB, he should at least be modeled after how he was in the game, right? Or am I crazy for thinking they should do that? They are taking one of the fastest units from his game, who is weak, and making him completely the opposite of how he plays.

Samus plays like Samus from her games. Link plays like Link from his games. Mario plays like Mario from his games. etc etc. So why does Ike play the opposite in Brawl than he does FE9? They obviously didn't give a **** about how he played.

Just look at Samus. Perfect example. She isn't bulky or anything, as you can see in her Zero Suit form. Yet she moves around fine with that heavy armor on, which is much heavier than Ike's sword. Or Link. Not only is he carrying around a broadsword like the Master Sword around, he has a shield, arrows, bombs, and boomerangs as well. He would be weighed down more than Ike.

...And it makes sence for Ike to be speedy even though he is having a spd of 12 with ragnell?

And Ike's Ranger and Lord animations are not that much faster than brawl Ike. Really. They're not all that fast.
You really haven't played the game. Here is a little FE9 lesson. Attack Speed= SPD - (Weapon Weight-STR [0 if negative]). Seeing as he closes in on capping STR by the time you get Ragnell, he doesn't lost any SPD from it. Ike has full AS when using Ragnell.

And yes, they are faster. He doesn't have a falcon punch start up time to hit anyone in FE9.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^You know in FE10 they made Ike much slower and stronger? His average speed barely saves him from getting doubled by the average enemy. Did you know that Ike is supposed to be a heavy character in SSBB. Most heavy characters aren't exactly speed demons. Why should Smash show how Ike played in FE9 if even his own sequel doesn't remotely depict how he played in FE9? Ike was never reffered to as a fast swordsman in the FE9 story. He wasn't exactly reffered to as slow, but his style was "rough around the edges."

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
Question: Who the **** cares?

Answer: Nobody except forum freaks obsessed with ripping on details they have yet to test out.

Pointless arguments for the lose.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Question: Who the **** cares?

Answer: Nobody except forum freaks obsessed with ripping on details they have yet to test out.

Pointless arguments for the lose.
I think Gimpy has pretty well gotten it across that Ike is VERY slow. Between people who have played the game saying that Ike is painfully slow, and people playing Fire Emblem and knowing how Ike actually was in that game, I think we can see that there is a problem.

As far as RD goes, this is not RD Ike. This is PoR Ike. If they were using RD Ike, why wouldn't they use the RD model?

I don't think anyone is saying "omg, Ike should be really fast like Fox/Falcon" just because his speed was tied for his best stat in PoR. Clearly Ike is not going to be a fast attacker due to his poor swordsmanship since he is still in the learning process.

Also given that he is "so strong" shouldn't he be able to carry a heavy sword fairly easily? Even if they only play with his attack lag and make him attack faster but recover from the attacks a bit more slowly, he would be a lot better just because he could actually get a hit in, and still be "slow". However, without combo ability and his crap recovery, he would still probably be bottom tier.

RWB

Smash Ace
Yes, I did play the game, *******. And I'm going to say this again, since you are a moron: WEAPON WEIGHT IS NOT THE SAME AS BUILD, OR 'WEIGHT' (which is really just AID from previous games).
WT=WT. seems pretty clear to me. Stop denying it, it's WEIGHT. It's not logical, but it's still true. It doesn't matter if it's Aid from previous games, In FE9, guess what? It's WT.

No he doesn't, you moron. Go on any Fire Emblem forum out there, and say Ike weighs less than a Hand Axe, and get laughed at. Please.
STATWISE, YES he does. You can insult me as much as you want too, but those stats are IN THE GAME. Logically impossible? Yes. But that's the FE stats for ya.

Of course Ike doesn't weigh less than an Iron Axe. That was my point. Or a throwing weapon like a Hand Axe or a Javelin. That is more than proof enough that weapon weight is not the same. You go on and on about how he weighs less than Ragnell, thinking weapon weight is the same. And then admit its different here. GJ.
No, I don't. I just say going statwise is idiotic. because according to stats, Ike does weigh less than any of those. I'm know that it isn't logically possible.

Did you play the game? If they are going to put Ike in SSBB, he should at least be modeled after how he was in the game, right? Or am I crazy for thinking they should do that? They are taking one of the fastest units from his game, who is weak, and making him completely the opposite of how he plays.
Ranger Ike wielding Ragnell has quite a lot of mt, but fails in spd. horribly. Sure, you can only wield it earlier if you hack, but whatever.

Samus plays like Samus from her games. Link plays like Link from his games. Mario plays like Mario from his games. etc etc. So why does Ike play the opposite in Brawl than he does FE9? They obviously didn't give a **** about how he played.

Just look at Samus. Perfect example. She isn't bulky or anything, as you can see in her Zero Suit form. Yet she moves around fine with that heavy armor on, which is much heavier than Ike's sword. Or Link. Not only is he carrying around a broadsword like the Master Sword around, he has a shield, arrows, bombs, and boomerangs as well. He would be weighed down more than Ike.
Samus armor is not heavy, nor does she play that much like she does in her own game. Just partly(Like Ike).

Link's slashing speed is zany in OoT, but link was still a slow character in both 64 and Melee. He was just as "out-of-character" as you are claiming Ike to be.

You really haven't played the game. Here is a little FE9 lesson. Attack Speed= SPD - (Weapon Weight-STR [0 if negative]). Seeing as he closes in on capping STR by the time you get Ragnell, he doesn't lost any SPD from it. Ike has full AS when using Ragnell.
As a ranger, Ike averages 15 str and 17 spd at level 20. He loses 5 AS. That's 12. And it's the ranger, not the lord version that is in brawl(or else, I can pull RD Ike into the debate, and then, the "Out-of-character"-argument is dead).

And yes, they are faster. He doesn't have a falcon punch start up time to hit anyone in FE9.
Yes, they are faster. I said that. I compared weak attack slash from brawl with usual attack. Speed is just about equal. ZOMG!

Oh, and by the way, namecalling isn't making your points any stronger, if you thought that.

Also, sorry to everyone else for continuing this pointless debate, but I hate when someone who doesn't know what he is talking about is trying to insult my intelligence.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I just don't understand why Nintendo would possibly set up a game where nearly every character is wielding weapons that weigh as much or more than they do, with the exceptions being mounted units.

Just because it was not translated properly does not mean that suddenly Ike weighs less than an axe. I mean, that is one dense axe or one light kid.

Also, the Link argument doesn't really apply because he is definitely faster than Ike. Slowing him down from the game is one thing, but making him ridiculously slow to the point of unplayable due to his start-up time, for practically every attack?

I think there is a problem with Ike... even if you are right and his sword does in fact weigh twice as much as he does. I think it's more important to have characters somewhat balanced and playable than have them as-is in game (even though I completely disagree with the weight argument). Sure, he doesn't need to be made uber top tier, but something should change at least.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
I still think a good portion of the reason they did it is simply because they wanted a heavy, slow swordsman. And Ike does fit that bill to a certain extent, just by looking at him.

I'm not saying that a fast Ike would be the same as Marth. I'm saying that the difference between heavy Ike and Marth is greater than the difference you'd see between fast Ike and Marth. Dynamic differences between the two, as opposed to a characters with much the same stats, but different attacks. Same as if you factor Link and Meta Knight into it. Oviously none of them are exactly the same, even if they were all fast. But the differences are greater with Ike as a heavy, slow character.

And characters in Smash have always been a sort of combination of their various incarnations. You can't take a character and say "This character is purely taken from this one game". Take Link. You've got his TP look, some TP specials, but you still have a number of attacks taken from other games. His Uair and Dair are from AoL back on NES. His entrance is from the original Legend of Zelda. Charging his Spin Attack is from either OoT, or LttP. Or Mario. You've got FLUDD from Sunshine, Cape from SMW, Fireballs from any number of games, the Tornado from Smash (or now Galaxy). His fists enlarging could come from SMRPG. His basic attack combo and dash attack are from SM64.

So whats wrong with Ike having his appearence from PoR, but having his stats based off RD? Its no different than any of the other Smash cast, who all draw from their various games to create their abilities. Especially since it fits well to make him really standout from the rest of the cast, rather than being "Different, but similar".

True Fool

Smash Ace

So what, you're alowed to mix two completely different logics to make your point valid? No, either he follows gameplay, or he follows story-line, and neither places him as being slower than any moving creature. Ragnell's gameplay stats are heavy, but nowhere in the story, or cinematics does it look heavy. In the intro, Ike leaps and swings the sword with ease, and in the scene with BK and Greil, the Ragnell hardly makes a thud when BK tosses it.

So if we follow gameplay, Ike is easily strong enough to swing it, and if we follow story-line, the sword obviously isn't a hindrance to Ike at all due to the fact that IT'S NOT VERY HEAVY.

RWB

Smash Ace
So what, you're alowed to mix two completely different logics to make your point valid? No, either he follows gameplay, or he follows story-line, and neither places him as being slower than any moving creature. Ragnell's gameplay stats are heavy, but nowhere in the story, or cinematics does it look heavy. In the intro, Ike leaps and swings the sword with ease, and in the scene with BK and Greil, the Ragnell hardly makes a thud when BK tosses it.

So if we follow gameplay, Ike is easily strong enough to swing it, and if we follow story-line, the sword obviously isn't a hindrance to Ike at all due to the fact that IT'S NOT VERY HEAVY.
First how did I "mix two completely different logics to make my point valid"?

I did never bring storyline into this. According to gameplay, Ike cannot use Aether, and he is far from strong enough to carry the sword.
RANGER IKE.
Or Ike is taken from all his games, having his PoR look and RD stats.

and by the way, Elec man EXE just posted a much better reason than I thought of. Read it.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
So whats wrong with Ike having his appearence from PoR, but having his stats based off RD? Its no different than any of the other Smash cast, who all draw from their various games to create their abilities. Especially since it fits well to make him really standout from the rest of the cast, rather than being "Different, but similar".
Valid point, about combining the games.

However, it's great and all that Ike is different, but it's not a good enough reason in my opinion to have so much start up on his moves that a five year old could dodge them with ease.

Sure, it makes him different from the rest of the cast, but as far as everyone who played at E for All said, Ike was the only character who really sucked in 1 vs 1, everyone else was substantially more playable. I would rather him not stand out in that manner, a character who is not playable is not much more than a space filler.

True Fool

Smash Ace
First how did I "mix two completely different logics to make my point valid"?

I did never bring storyline into this. According to gameplay, Ike cannot use Aether, and he is far from strong enough to carry the sword.
RANGER IKE.
Or Ike is taken from all his games, having his PoR look and RD stats.

and by the way, Elec man EXE just posted a much better reason than I thought of. Read it.
You're taking gameplay stats, Ike's build and Ike's class, with real physics, like the weight and length of the sword.

And so what if it's ranger Ike. He was in his ranger form at the end of the game, and I don't think I saw him throw Ragnell away or anything. His stance doesn't match any of his classes, and the only thing he has that would suggest that he is end-game Ike is having Aether and Ragnell.

In response to the RD argument, he isn't THAT slow, or THAT strong. He could be similar, but they took both of those stats WAY too far.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't saying anything as to why they made him bad. I was saying why they made him heavy.

With Bowser being completely playable by all reports, there's certainly no reason for Ike to be so bad. I'm not justifying that at all. Far from it, I'm quite disappointed that Ike is (by first impressions, anyway) bad. Thats the fault of the developers going perhaps a bit too far with it. And hopefully it'll get fixed by release, or hopefully Ike is a more tricky character to master and it just seems like he's bad.

They fixed Bowser. He's still a heavy, hard hitter. But he's playable. No reason they shouldn't do the same for Ike. They don't need to make him a speed character to do so.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Possibly one of my biggest complaints is, why make Ike the slowest character in the game? And if Ike isn't the slowest character in the game, how many more unusable characters can we expect?

TxuZz

Smash Cadet
I completely agree here. I like the fact that Ike is slow, but powerful. Everyone complaining seems to be letting their inner fanboy get the best of them. I for one, am glad he is slow, that way he's not a f*&king Marth clone.
im sure im not the only one who thinks it wouldn't be that bad if he actually was a f***ing marth clone. i DONT like his recovery, i DONT like his aerials. (the vids show noobs playing, maybe you'll be able to sweetspot and grab the edge.. but still). if not marth, i hope there's another ( a faster, lighter...) FE character. i could name some, but i think i'll go to another thread.

Rex+

Smash Ace
Possibly one of my biggest complaints is, why make Ike the slowest character in the game? And if Ike isn't the slowest character in the game, how many more unusable characters can we expect?

There's plenty of time for Nintendo to see these and make the proper changes as necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if someone at NoA was complaining about how Ike was not on equal grounds with the other characters.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't saying anything as to why they made him bad. I was saying why they made him heavy.

With Bowser being completely playable by all reports, there's certainly no reason for Ike to be so bad. I'm not justifying that at all. Far from it, I'm quite disappointed that Ike is (by first impressions, anyway) bad. Thats the fault of the developers going perhaps a bit too far with it. And hopefully it'll get fixed by release, or hopefully Ike is a more tricky character to master and it just seems like he's bad.

They fixed Bowser. He's still a heavy, hard hitter. But he's playable. No reason they shouldn't do the same for Ike. They don't need to make him a speed character to do so.
We have little proof that Ike's speed causes him to be a bad character. Based on what you SAW hes slow, but u dont know how that is put in with his attacks and all. We dont even know if he really IS a bad character.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
We have little proof that Ike's speed causes him to be a bad character. Based on what you SAW hes slow, but u dont know how that is put in with his attacks and all. We dont even know if he really IS a bad character.
Gimpy, as well as others who played Ike, said he was the worst character at the show. That is really all we have to go off of.

True Fool

Smash Ace
They figured that PoR was popular so they decided to put Ike in. Now, I'd say that Ike is balanced, so if he is a wee bit slow, it won't bother me.
I don't know if you just missed something, but he isn't a "wee bit slow", he was THE slowest character playable at the demo. And I would doubt that any character in the full version could be slower than that without being completely unplayable. He IS cripplingly slow.

Tigro

Smash Rookie
So what if hes slow? His movement speed isn't horrendous, its just his swinging speed. Learn to compensate, maybe? Or, I dunno, maybe choose another character?

We all realize Sakurai isn't making Ike the equivalent to his FE self, but this IS a different game. And I'm sure that just like with any other Smash Bros character, if you take the time to master Ike, you WILL master Ike, and it WILL be a surprise when your buddies call you out for choosing him when you follow up by owning their sorry butts.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Ike is not slow though. He's a freaking fast character. And don't pull that stupid Mewtwo crap, we all know you can't make a character who can just throw people from the other side of the stage.

It just doesn't make sense. If anything he should be a semi-light weight character, HP was his only semi-bad stat. It comes too close to making him not even look like Ike, the speed he moves at. He could have been Melee Link speed, Roy power(with better hitboxes), it would have made at least a little sense.
So, you give him the speed of an L-Canceling beast.

And the main attribute that makes Roy okay? (Besides the phir3)

That equals God Tier my friend...

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I really can't understand why people argue about this, especially the ones who involve the game stats from PoR and RD...Just because you people know all about these wonderfull games and there stats and such doesn't mean these stats must be applied to Smash, just like Elecman Exe said, they can make any character the way they want, with Mewto being the best example, an allmighty Pokémon who has the ability to make people go ''pop'' into oblivion was able to screw up so badly he ended up as a sh*tty character...and who ever played as Zelda in any Zelda game where she was so slow and bad? And when did Ganondorf forget how to use his Magic of Doom?

All of this doesn't matter, they'll make every character great, and sure, there will be characters who are better then others, but I look at it this way: I've got a challenge if I want to beat Fox with Ike...

All characters from the past 2 Smash games were great, they were all original and unique, even Mewto had cool attacks, too bad he ended up living on the bottom.
This doesn't count for clones, but they weren't that bad I think.
Also, Ike isn't a clone, so we can expect a unique moveset for a unique character IMO.

Top Bottom