• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what does everyone think of the plant??

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
He's pretty darn fun.

It's super satisfying to lay the smack down with him.
Half of his moves hit like a torn covered plane.
Definitely a go-to for friendlies.

-He's pretty sluggish here and there.
-Frame data can have some sucky end lag.
-Combo throw isn't very reliable.

-However, half of it's moves deal a ton of damage. I'm talking Bowser tier.
-Ptooie is decently versatile and can kill surprisingly early. I do love how they balance out it's power by staling when it hits the stage.
-Fully charged Poison Breath in a grab can deal up to 80+ percent.
-Elasto-Strike can pretty good surprise punish option at a distance. Sort of a small counter to projectiles and edge-guarding.
-Up-Throw is the same as Ridley's except it can actually kill at reasonable percents!
-Frame 9 Dair Spike rejoice!

While I wouldn't call him high tier since his neutral could use a tune up, but he is still another fighter that will easily clutch out a stock from you if give him an inch, so keep your eye on him.

I give this fabulous shrubbery, 4.5/5 Golden Pipes.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I like the plant, very fun character. Kind of in need of a bit of range when it comes to his normals, but otherwise very fun, potential pocket character once I start to look for secondaries.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I like him. My main worry before this lad dropped was that I just wouldn't like how he played. I can now confidently say that I had nothing to worry about; playing Plant-only FFAs with my friends has been some of the most fun I've had with this series since before Smash 4. His specials in particular are just so fun to use, even if he could stand to be a little faster. (Though I understand why he's not, being a... plant, and all.) Overall, yeah, pretty darn satisfied over here, and I look forward to using him more.
In terms of viability, though... eh, sorry, but I'm not too optimistic. He undeniably has strong points, but his lackluster neutral due to not really being able to approach or zone gives me the feeling that this character will be rolling around in mid- to low-tier for a while once the meta shakes out. Who knows, though, maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Pretty solid fighter. D-throw to forward air is a decent bread and butter combo. Has anyone else found interesting combos/tech with plant?

Whitephoenixace

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7304-2300-4542
Dair to upsmash true combos for an easy kill after 100% , getting too high in percent makes it hard though

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
I like PPlant, but something feels off. Too many charged moves, maybe. The special moveset just seems wrong in some way. But otherwise it's a fun little vegetable. Not competitive material for me but respect to you if it suits you.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
With or against? Level 9 CPU PPlant has some killer defenses.
Oh I meant playing as Piranha Plant.

As in it didn't take long for me to get to grips with them and win my first match. (sometimes when I play a character for the first time I lose the first fight I use them in because their moveset doesn't really "click" for me)

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
Oh I meant playing as Piranha Plant.

As in it didn't take long for me to get to grips with them and win my first match. (sometimes when I play a character for the first time I lose the first fight I use them in because their moveset doesn't really "click" for me)
Yeah, they're not difficult to get a handle on. The nspec can be messy but if you pull it off right it's got power.

gugus294

Smash Rookie
But your not saying facts though
Your argument is completely insubstantiated. You're replying to people's evidence with what basically amounts to "you're wrong, I'm right" and that proves nothing.

You say projectiles were never this prominent? You say your last Smash game was Brawl? Alright, let me list all the projectiles in Brawl to you, from top to bottom of the roster.

Mario has Fireballs and Fludd. Link has arrows, boomerangs, and bombs. Samus has missiles, charge shot, and down B bomb thing. Zero Suit Samus has her stun gun. Kirby has up B sword beam. Fox has his blaster. Pikachu has thunder jolt and thunder. Game and Watch has his neutral B. Luigi has Fireball. Diddy has two bananas and a peanut gun. Shiek has needles. Zelda has her fireball thing. Pit has arrows. Falco has his blaster and his throwable Shine. Squirtle has water gun, Ivysaur has razor leaf/bullet seed, Charizard has flamethrower. Snake has grenades, mines, rocket launcher, up smash. Peach has turnips. Yoshi has eggs. Ice climbers have ice blocks and freeze. Dedede has gordos. Wolf has a blaster. Lucario has aura sphere. Ness has PK Fire, PK Flash, and PK Thunder. Sonic can gimp with his spring. Bowser has fire breath. Wario has his bike. Toon Link has arrows, boomerang, and bombs. ROB has his laser and his gyro. Olimar has basically his entire kit thanks to his Pikmin. Lucas has PK Fire, PK Thunder, and PK Freeze.

In case you missed it, that's almost the whole cast. Almost every single character in Smash, even in Brawl, has projectiles and they are a core aspect of the game. Sure, you main a character without projectiles, but that's your choice and you have to learn to play around them. Moaning about how other characters have projectiles because you chose to play one of the few characters to have ever not had projectiles in this series is not only annoying to everyone else, but will hold you back from improving and enjoying the game.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Finally, got him... reached out to nintendo and they sent me a new code. Glad it was resolved rather quick.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I think I found a new secondary. Super fun to play, does great damage, has good frame data, and great specials. Range is iffy with standard attacks, but everything else makes up for it.

B’Nana

Smash Cadet
He’s insanely op. Utilt is amazing, down b is unpunishable, amazing recovery, he’s fast, heavy, and small. His smash attacks are crazy powerful, and filt is great. But most op is neutral b. It edgeguards, breaks out of combos, does 19 percent and kill so early it’s unreal.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
He’s insanely op. Utilt is amazing, down b is unpunishable, amazing recovery, he’s fast, heavy, and small. His smash attacks are crazy powerful, and filt is great. But most op is neutral b. It edgeguards, breaks out of combos, does 19 percent and kill so early it’s unreal.
Thats what i said but, i got infracted . the initials "OP" offends everyone and idk why. Lets hope you dont get bombarded with fanboyism and infractions. *fingers crossed*

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I just used Piranha Plant earlier today and it's definitely my favorite fighter now. It has a creative moveset and a great Palutena Guidance. I was not expecting Rathalos to show up at the end of its Classic Mode route either. Having Mario appear in one of its victory animations only to get bodied was great, too. I can't wait to see how the other DLC fighters play, but Piranha Plant is who I'm going to stick with most of the time for sure.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Feels pretty weak compared to the fighters I'm used to playing

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
He's tons of fun and a blast to play with. He's instantly become one of my mains.

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Alright so I played him more and my favorite moves are side b and dair. Dair is fun as hell and also easy to use and his side b is a really great mixup option. Still think he's mid tier though. I'm sure Sakurai will buff this lil plant and make him viable.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
He's extremely fun, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ends up in low or even bottom tier.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Labbed her extensively with my smash Buddies, yesterday and I gotta say this is one fun character.
Not quite sure where she will place, though. Her Aerials could use some lag cut, the only one that autocancels on SH is Uair, however the hitbox is rather small which makes landing with it difficult. Ist is a great juggling tool, though.

The move that is the heart and center of this character has got to be the Gas Cloud.
The dps is ridiculous, especially when used with a grab. One good set up nullifies a 70-80% lead instantly, so the cloud has to be respected.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
After some experimentation, PPlant is real good. Back air is a fun trick to pull off, but the short hop > neutral air maneuver is godly. Plus, uspec is super fun. I do like this plant.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Extremely strong and not to be slept on. I think Plant can absolutely take majors. Patooie alone is an amazing bread and butter move.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Slept on? Definitely. Ptooie? Broken. Majors? I don't think so.
I never said Ptooie was broken. I said it was abusable. Its potential for creative used makes it really hard to deal with in the hands of someone who really gets the character. And yeah I think he absolutely can take majors. He has more things going for him than not. Once people really start tapping into the fact that his aerials are not meant for approaching (rather, they are better as anti airs) and his pressure can ramp up because of lack of recovery time on ptooie) i think his results can go up through the roof. He is basically a fortress.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Why are they broken?
1.ARMOR. this ****ing plant doesnt need armor that attack is absolutely bull**** as it is because of the attack power. Theres absolutely no reason at all why it should have armor? For what reason is it there other than to be broken and irritating.

2.Its too heavy. Why the **** is a plant so hard to launch? What sense does this make? Its already hard enough to kill in this game. Characters already take a ****ing decade to die off the screen from smash attacks.

3. Why does it have 2 projectiles? Jesus christ does EVERY character need 2 or more projectiles? Why does this plant have so many tools coupled with high damage and heavy weight? What purpose for the spikeball? Why the **** cant u hit it back? Absolutely broken.

4. Of course u gotta give it a stupid-long recovery right? I mean its not like more than half the roster doesnt have dumb long recoveries when they shouldnt be able to recover that high. I mean damn, pro-long the match even longer.

5.Stupid hitbox in its recovery.

This is too much for a ****ing plant in a pot. The concept alone should make this thing garbage tier but i think these devs dont even playtest these characters vs others.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
He's so wacky and goofy and I absolutely love him. His neutral B and side B are sooooo fun to use and seem pretty potent, too. Definitely going to make him a sub.

InfiniteRE

Smash Cadet
1.ARMOR. this ****ing plant doesnt need armor that attack is absolutely bull**** as it is because of the attack power. Theres absolutely no reason at all why it should have armor? For what reason is it there other than to be broken and irritating.

2.Its too heavy. Why the **** is a plant so hard to launch? What sense does this make? Its already hard enough to kill in this game. Characters already take a ****ing decade to die off the screen from smash attacks.

3. Why does it have 2 projectiles? Jesus christ does EVERY character need 2 or more projectiles? Why does this plant have so many tools coupled with high damage and heavy weight? What purpose for the spikeball? Why the **** cant u hit it back? Absolutely broken.

4. Of course u gotta give it a stupid-long recovery right? I mean its not like more than half the roster doesnt have dumb long recoveries when they shouldnt be able to recover that high. I mean damn, pro-long the match even longer.

This is too much for a ****ing plant in a pot. The concept alone should make this thing garbage tier but i think these devs dont even playtest these characters vs others.
Its too early to call this character broken, a lot of his moves and aerials are slow at times and his projectiles have high punish potential. Most of the time I see this character getting smoked by small and fast characters. Similar to K rool I think plant has a noob stomping moveset but doesn't seem to hard to work around once you get used to how the character plays. It seems like you want this character to be complete garbage with no real strengths at all, its a DLC character, if it were garbage that would be an utter buzzkill to those of us wanting to play plant. If you have any alternative movesets or balancing changes please feel free and share.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
It's already absolutely bull**** because of its attack power, even though some characters outright hard counter it and everyone else can avoid it with ease? What even is this comment? Why shouldn't it have armor? Players that know how to punish it will punish it with or without the armor. Makes it more viable to use tbh. Lord I'm nervous for the rest of this...
Lots of characters die pretty quick depending on who you play as. I see no reason that this character is "too heavy". There are heavier characters. What makes this one in particular "too heavy"?
One of its projectiles deals no knock back and the other one is slow. Why shouldn't a piranha plant have two projectiles? Why should you be able to nullify this attack completely by hitting it back when it's slow and easy to avoid to begin with? It certainly doesn't take up as much stage space as Gordo, so what makes that mechanic relevant? It can still be reflected by anyone with a reflector, why isn't that good enough for you? If you think this attack is broken then you need to figure out how to move out of the way, like just walk away lmao
Its recovery can easily be gimped, other than that this point is just baseless opinion
lolwut?
Ooooooohhhhh loooool you're just mad that the plant is in smash, got it! You're right he's totally busted at rustling your jimmies

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
people are seriously complaining about pplant's armor in downb?
Its such a horrifically slow move it NEEDS armor otherwise it literally cannot be used except as an edgeguard or hide in your poison cloud.
Plus its only armor on the first hit. Multihit attacks go right through downb.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
people are seriously complaining about pplant's armor in downb?
Its such a horrifically slow move it NEEDS armor otherwise it literally cannot be used except as an edgeguard or hide in your poison cloud.
Plus its only armor on the first hit. Multihit attacks go right through downb.
On top of that, it doesn't even have super armor; it's heavy armor, so a gutsy smash attack or a strong aerial at a high % will break right through it and probably kill Plant. (And even if they aren't at a high enough %, you could always just, y'know, grab them while they're just sitting there.)
Overall, complaining about Down-B in general is kind of hilarious considering it's arguably the weed's most obsolete move even with the armor.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
It's already absolutely bull**** because of its attack power, even though some characters outright hard counter it and everyone else can avoid it with ease? What even is this comment? Why shouldn't it have armor? Players that know how to punish it will punish it with or without the armor. Makes it more viable to use tbh. Lord I'm nervous for the rest of this...

Lots of characters die pretty quick depending on who you play as. I see no reason that this character is "too heavy". There are heavier characters. What makes this one in particular "too heavy"?

One of its projectiles deals no knock back and the other one is slow. Why shouldn't a piranha plant have two projectiles? Why should you be able to nullify this attack completely by hitting it back when it's slow and easy to avoid to begin with? It certainly doesn't take up as much stage space as Gordo, so what makes that mechanic relevant? It can still be reflected by anyone with a reflector, why isn't that good enough for you? If you think this attack is broken then you need to figure out how to move out of the way, like just walk away lmao

Its recovery can easily be gimped, other than that this point is just baseless opinion

lolwut?

Ooooooohhhhh loooool you're just mad that the plant is in smash, got it! You're right he's totally busted at rustling your jimmies
He is. He doesnt need the extra weight or a unhittable gordo. And his recovery being gimped has nothing to do with how far it goes.

Last edited:

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman

Because the attack is slow as hell. Plus, you can just break it with a smash attack or aerial or grab anyways.

Ultimate has the highest launch speed of any smash game period. If you honestly think that game speed is the issue then you're mistaken.

How is it broken? The hitbox is pathetic compared to gordos, and doesn't go nearly as far. It's not that good unless you're edgeguarding, or using it as a mixup. As for poison, it can be escaped so easily that it isn't even funny. If your opponent gets caught then you either hard read them, or they kinda suck.

What's wrong with its recovery? Length doesn't matter if you can just land any spike in the game and kill it offstage. You're grasping at straws.

How is it stupid? it doesn't even hit you if you're above, the plant [which is where you'll be 90% of the time when edgeguarding] and it can't carry you off the top until heights that Little Mac could carry you off the top.

Now you're trying to use concept? My guy, Kirby should be the best character in the game then because he's strong in his og series. Smash shouldn't invalidate or overpower characters based on canonical strength. Otherwise, nothing broken would get nerfed, and nothing bad would get buffed.
Fixed it for you.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Piranha Plant's surprisingly fun, I was already sorta interested from what we were initially shown (because who wouldn't be curious about how the hell a Piranha Plant is going to play in Smash), but wasn't expecting much. But hey, I think PP's pretty fun. Possibly considering as a secondary, unsure. Although where they'll end up tier-wise is unclear for me. I feel like they either have potential waiting for someone to wreck shop with, or their hype life cycle's gonna burn out and people will realize they're high-low tier at best. We'll see!

Top Bottom