• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what does everyone think of the plant??

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
He is. He doesnt need the extra weight or a unhittable gordo. And his recovery being gimped has nothing to do with how far it goes.
Dude, you know that very few people agree with you saying the plant is op, so how about you take a big, huge chill pill and maybe absorb what everyone here is saying before you rage again, ok?

That being said, I can only give you advice, not change your mind, so good day to you sir.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
1.ARMOR. this ****ing plant doesnt need armor that attack is absolutely bull**** as it is because of the attack power. Theres absolutely no reason at all why it should have armor? For what reason is it there other than to be broken and irritating.

2.Its too heavy. Why the **** is a plant so hard to launch? What sense does this make? Its already hard enough to kill in this game. Characters already take a ****ing decade to die off the screen from smash attacks.

3. Why does it have 2 projectiles? Jesus christ does EVERY character need 2 or more projectiles? Why does this plant have so many tools coupled with high damage and heavy weight? What purpose for the spikeball? Why the **** cant u hit it back? Absolutely broken.

4. Of course u gotta give it a stupid-long recovery right? I mean its not like more than half the roster doesnt have dumb long recoveries when they shouldnt be able to recover that high. I mean damn, pro-long the match even longer.

5.Stupid hitbox in its recovery.

This is too much for a ****ing plant in a pot. The concept alone should make this thing garbage tier but i think these devs dont even playtest these characters vs others.
Christ, dude. For someone on a Smash Bros forum, you don't seem to be too fond of the game itself. If you aren't having fun, maybe go play something else.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
He is. He doesnt need the extra weight or a unhittable gordo. And his recovery being gimped has nothing to do with how far it goes.
Why shouldn't he have the extra weight? Why shouldn't he have an "unhittable Gordo" which most certainly is not Gordo because it is severely lacking in providing on-stage pressure against any player with a functional control stick? Why shouldn't he have a ridiculously long but easy to punish recovery? All of these things that you seem to think make him broken (which don't) are based entirely on your own vision of how weak the character should be. There is nothing inherently busted about having any of these attributes, and I challenge you to come up with an objective argument as to why these things make Piranha Plant unfair. Give me a situational example or some stats. Otherwise you're just making baseless claims.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Why shouldn't he have the extra weight? Why shouldn't he have an "unhittable Gordo" which most certainly is not Gordo because it is severely lacking in providing on-stage pressure against any player with a functional control stick? Why shouldn't he have a ridiculously long but easy to punish recovery? All of these things that you seem to think make him broken (which don't) are based entirely on your own vision of how weak the character should be. There is nothing inherently busted about having any of these attributes, and I challenge you to come up with an objective argument as to why these things make Piranha Plant unfair. Give me a situational example or some stats. Otherwise you're just making baseless claims.
Theres no point anymore. I forget this got moved to the PP board so now its in a fanboy zone. TC asked what everyone thinks about this thing and i think its broken.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Theres no point anymore. I forget this got moved to the PP board so now its in a fanboy zone so nothing i say will be valid to fanboyism. Its only when a nerf happens that fanboys flip-flop and say it was OP. its my opinion that the plant is broken anyway. i never said it was fact. TC asked what everyone THINKS about this thing and i think its broken and nothing will change that.
People often say "it's my opinion" to shelter a belief that should have been abandoned. Saying that is your opinion doesn't invalidate other people's counter arguments on this thread or make yours less indefensible. Trying to accuse them of fanboys because they don't agree with you is a poor form of defense. You can think whatever you want, but that doesn't mean that your opinion is a serious candidate for the truth.

If you want to tell others why the plant is broken, then your opinions must be backed by facts and matchup experience. Without that you are just an uninformed enthusiast not worth taking seriously. The stance you demonstrate is of someone who is unwilling to learn the matchup and immediately slapping the broken label to something that gives you trouble. So it's not a wonder competent players frown upon that and are going to heavily disagree with what you say. Da Vinci said that the greatest deception men suffer is their own opinions, and I can how this applies to you.
I agree that there is no point anymore, considering the unaddressed posts that you overlooked. You never had a case you could defend properly from the beginning.

ccllr

Smash Cadet
One thing to note is that only one move uses fire despite that being one of more famous breeds of Piranha Plant.
This bothers me more than it should. Literally why.
I like PPlant, but something feels off. Too many charged moves, maybe. The special moveset just seems wrong in some way. But otherwise it's a fun little vegetable. Not competitive material for me but respect to you if it suits you.
I think the same. The specials just feel off for some reason. Having a chargable side special is strange, and the down special just FEELS bad.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
People often say "it's my opinion" to shelter a belief that should have been abandoned. Saying that is your opinion doesn't invalidate other people's counter arguments on this thread or make yours less indefensible. Trying to accuse them of fanboys because they don't agree with you is a poor form of defense. You can think whatever you want, but that doesn't mean that your opinion is a serious candidate for the truth.

If you want to tell others why the plant is broken, then your opinions must be backed by facts and matchup experience. Without that you are just an uninformed enthusiast not worth taking seriously. The stance you demonstrate is of someone who is unwilling to learn the matchup and immediately slapping the broken label to something that gives you trouble. So it's not a wonder competent players frown upon that and are going to heavily disagree with what you say. Da Vinci said that the greatest deception men suffer is their own opinions, and I can how this applies to you.
I agree that there is no point anymore, considering the unaddressed posts that you overlooked. You never had a case you could defend properly from the beginning.
I think the reality is that this person knows he has no valid reason to believe Plant is OP and just has a raging hateboner for the character for whatever reason, so now he's just using "w-well you guys wouldn't listen anyway" as a convenient excuse to avoid having to defend his arguments.
But that's just my theory.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387

Hes broken imo.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Hes broken imo.
My observation is that your opinion is disconnected from reality.

My assumption is that you don't actually have any verifiable or testable reasons for your opinion.

My opinion is that your post in this thread does nothing but stir the pot, especially calling everyone fanboys when you're the one that fails to back up their claims with anything objective.

Anyone know a word that's like the hater version of a fanboy?

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
My observation is that your opinion is disconnected from reality.

My assumption is that you don't actually have any verifiable or testable reasons for your opinion.

My opinion is that your post in this thread does nothing but stir the pot, especially calling everyone fanboys when you're the one that fails to back up their claims with anything objective.

Anyone know a word that's like the hater version of a fanboy?
Stir the pot? This post was initially in general discussion i didnt intentionally come to the pp board to talk about a broken plant. TC asked what we think about this thing and, i said what i think. I think pp is unbalanced and broken in my opinion. Of course ppl are gonna disagree but thats not my problem.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Stir the pot? This post was initially in general discussion i didnt intentionally come to the pp board to talk about a broken plant. TC asked what we think about this thing and, i said what i think. I think pp is unbalanced and broken in my opinion. Of course ppl are gonna disagree but thats not my problem.
:rolleyes: Fair enough. He's definitely far from broken, high mid tier at best imo, but you think what you want for whatever reason you please so long as you don't come here and bug plant mains about it

Last edited:

StevenDoesLife

Smash Rookie
Piranha Plant is a character that has a lot of potential and could really do some damage

Last edited:

Cracke

Smash Journeyman
I find them fun, but their kit just doesn't really "click" well with me. I know what to do at certain times but it still just doesn't feel right. They probably won't be winning any majors though, but who really knows they've been out for only like a week
That would rule! It would have to be a slow autocharge, but that would be super cool.
also this needs to happen

Last edited:

WumboTheSecond

Thief of Hearts
The plant is good boi. Very good boi.

But seriously I don't see myself maining plant boi for competitive but I can see the allure of playing as him. His UpB is insane with a nice smack at the end. The spiky ball is a nice counter attack with a good element of surprise. The smash attacks have some good launching power. The side specials are versatile but don't leave you too open if you mess up. The move speed isn't sonic levels but it'll get the job done.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
The plant is good boi. Very good boi.

But seriously I don't see myself maining plant boi for competitive but I can see the allure of playing as him. His UpB is insane with a nice smack at the end. The spiky ball is a nice counter attack with a good element of surprise. The smash attacks have some good launching power. The side specials are versatile but don't leave you too open if you mess up. The move speed isn't sonic levels but it'll get the job done.
For competitive I think I'll stick with Big the Cat, but PPlant is definitely someone I'll be using against my buddies in casual matches.

Felancius

Smash Cadet
Not gonna lie, Plant seems really meh at best, but given that Piranha Plant is... well, a potted plant, and was given for free, I didn't exactly expect anything top tier.

The element of surprise is over so the biggest strength that Piranha Plant had, being unknown, is kinda gone, and is really easy to beat, and as it came off as to me, easiest with Yoshi with the matches I did with and against. Granted though, Piranha Plant has been... unusually fun to play, given the weird gimmicky moves it has, and even a really good neutral B. I actually think Piranha Plant is one of the better casual characters in general, but competitively, it's below average.

I'd say Low-Mid tier, basically D. There are WORSE characters anyways, like Pac-Man, Robin, and Little Mac especially, but Piranha Plant is super unlikely to win a tournament unfortunately. Still fun to play though.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
There are WORSE characters anyways, like Pac-Man
533.png

Pac has been having some pretty noticeable placements at tournaments. He's one of the more misunderstood and underrepresented characters in the game rn cause he's harder to use than others, but he definitely does not deserve to be listed anywhere close to Little Mac

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
View attachment 190693
Pac has been having some pretty noticeable placements at tournaments. He's one of the more misunderstood and underrepresented characters in the game rn cause he's harder to use than others, but he definitely does not deserve to be listed anywhere close to Little Mac
Being misunderstood is kind of weird considering he's more straightforward to play well compared to 4, even if he does still have a learning curve.

Felancius

Smash Cadet
Low and bottom-tiered characters can still win tournaments, in previous games and this. Examples including DJnintendo using Bowser in Melee, or the few Dedede mains in Smash 4, both of which when the characters were bottom tier. I was more of referencing that not just anybody can pick them up and expect to be absolutely amazing, since the low tier characters are there for a reason. Pac-Man is that way too despite having won a tournament, but many I've spoken to consider him bottom tier even if the best out of the bottom of the barrel.

But to keep on topic for this thread: Plant's probably gonna be like D-tier, but someone might get a high placing with him somewhere soon, which would be hype as hell since low-tier upsets are always amazing. I don't think Plant will excel a lot though, and be more of a casual pick.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I've been using Piranha Plant a lot lately. As someone who predominantly mains heavyweights like :ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultincineroar:, Piranha Plant fits the mold nicely. Ptooie has a lot of application and is probably my favorite of its specials. I just like using it, be it for edgeguarding, trading, or using it as an anti-air. Poison Breath deals so much damage, especially with a grab, so I always make sure to have a fully charged one on standby. In addition to the damage, I find the fact that it obscures vision can set up for a lot of mindgames, particularly charging a smash attack or using Long-Stem Strike. Speaking of, Long-Stem Strike was kinda weird to learn at first, but I eventually got used to the timing and learned when to start tilting to get specific angles. One of my favorite things to do is fall off-stage while charging it and land a quick attack. Priceless.

I'm not too optimistic for how it'll fare in competitive; I'm seeing it as mid-tier at best. There's a lot of potential but right now its biggest weakness is its sluggish mobility and frame data, spelling trouble for a lot of matchups such as :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultlink:. Poison Breath can also be reflected, so that could make characters with reflectors difficult to deal with, especially :ultvillager:. Overall though, I'm really satisfied with Piranha Plant. Will definitely be a main.

astralorange

Smash Rookie
I really really love Piranha Plant. It's so weird but I never felt truly drawn to a single character like him. I always went with whoever I felt I was best with or enjoyed the most, not necessarily the perfect character for me. I feel like for once there is a character just for weirdos like me. I absolutely love Piranha so much.Instantly fell in love with this guy. I will practice him til the ends of the earth and become the best Piranha Plant player ever, (probably not but let me dream anyway!)

Top Bottom