• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So tell the truth: Will you use characters....

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
Smash , like any other game should first and foremost be FUN. what better way to have fun playing smash than to play as your favorite character?

i got a bit of praise here and there for my melee Samus. It was just so fortunate for me that samus was one of my all time favorite characters and that she was one tricky son of a ***** in melee, which was why it was SOOO fun to play as her(and in smash 64 too). And that i did, not cuz i wanted the best character lest i chose the character on the topmost tier, but i played as samus cuz i really really liked the character...and luckily for me she fit my playing style, which was very hectic and flashy but lacking in strategy. it truly was fun to play as her, i never EVER had fun playing any of the other 25 characters to be completly honest. tippers, pillars, and infinite shines? puh-leez, i can't have fun doing that all day! i'll stick to my rising grapples, bomb jumps and SWD thank you. =P

Upon hearing about brawl, i was dedicated to maining samus in brawl, and when i found out 5 seconds later that Zamus was included, i was even happier, regardless of whether she'd be as good as she was in melee. But time has gone by and it's been said that Samus has been nerfed, i must admit i was a little disappointed. No, that was an understatement, i was very disappointed, not in the character herself, but in her gameplay, no more rising grapple, no more WD, no more SWD, no more trciky melee Samus...i could tell she wasnt as popular with smashers anymore...her forum page isnt as packed as the other characters' =( But i found light in this situation, less samus players means my samus will be more unique. and i am still determined to play as both forms of samus and make them own...hopefully i can make them own...i'll definitely work at it! ::must-do-samus-justice!!!:: =)

oh man, but once i saw a video of Olimar, MAN that guy is cute, makes me wanna play him, but then the fact that he's so popular makes me kinda not wanna play him...i just really like the sounds the pikmin make...but i was never a pikmin fan, never played the games...

Hughalicous

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to play the characters I like. These have always been from the zelda franchises. I will even play toon link, even with the worlds biggest hitbox sitting on his shoulders. I will play all the other characters at times, cept the starfox ones, I never realy liked them, specialy scince people seem to think you only play them cause of tiers.

I will also play the chick chracaters, cause my friends hate lossing to the chick characters.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, I've always wondered why people only use characters that are good...the game is meant for you to play your favorite Nintendo All-Star, not the best one... I play Donkey Kong as my main because he is my favorite Nintendo character. It has nothing to do with how good he is. Then, I play Fox, because he is my second favorite. I play no character for how good they are. If I did that, I would be playing the same exact chracters as everyone else all the time...now if that doesn't get old, then I must not know what does... :ohwell:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I hate this.

Right now the 6 I am looking at are:

Diddy Kong - Decided to main him the second he was confirmed on Dojo.
Luigi - I love this guy, and mained him in Melee.
Wolf - My favorite Star Fox character (Falco is a close 2nd)
Olimar - See Diddy.
Pokemon Trainer - See Diddy again. I'm a pokefreak, and Squirtle is my favorite pokemon.
Sonic - Just because he is Sonic, I knew he would be in Brawl. I was a Sega Genesis kid, I didn't have a NES/SNES so I played Sonic ALOT.

I love how when Olimar was confirmed everyone threw a fit, hating on him, now it seems he's good, so people will use him, most of them probably never even heard of Pikmin before.

Oh well.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
I pick up characters I think are cool and then I keep playing with them if I like them. I used Pikachu for a bit in SSBM and Ice climbers, but now I only use Pikachu every once in a while and ICs like never. Nope, I liked playing Zelda and G-dorf more than anything else despite starting off with Fox and Link. I'll probably do the same thing this time around and just mess around with whoever seems neat to me and see who really sticks out of that pile. And ROB can fall in a well and die. Except he cant because of his stupid Up B.

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
I main characters based on whether or not they're comfortable/fun to play as. These characters usually end up high tier, oddly enough.

the656

Smash Journeyman
I main characters based on whether or not they're comfortable/fun to play as. These characters usually end up high tier, oddly enough.
same with me if someone like pikachu is high tier I won't play them because pikachu is hard for me to play

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
i have no idea! i'm gonna use characters that fit my style. oddly enough, all my mains came back : falcon, jiggs, marth. creepy.

BrianM

Smash Journeyman
I like Ike A LOT, but there's very little chance that I'll main him. I'm more inclined to play Pit/Marth/Zamus/Toon Link. Not only are they all look like they're mid-high tier whenever a tier list comes out, but they all suit my playstyle. I wouldn't be able to play Ike and space that well. Although, Ike's b-air, n-air, u-tilt, A-A-A are pretty good and fast, but I just don't see myself playing him.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Play mainly with favorite characters, practice counter-picks for lopsided match-ups.

Everybody wins.

Staco

Smash Champion
MK is my favourite character, thats the reason, why I will use him
but if I am better with marth I will use marth, too
and if I am better with rob I will use him, too
on torunaments I will use my best and not my favourite character, but mostly my favourite is my best xD
in mario strikers charged yoshi was my best first, and my favourite, too
after some time yoshi wasnt my nintendo favourite and I choose petey as new captain, because yoshi wasnt my most like any more, because I was more kirby and MK fan, than yoshi fan ;)

Ojanya

Smash Ace
I will play to win. If this character is good, I'll use them. I'll choose which one feels best to me.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I use em cause I like them, I had sworn myself to play pit, and now im gonna play pit and metaknight, because they both feel right in my hands.... for now XD

squarez

Smash Apprentice
I wont use the character if it's unplayable ie- mewtwo, G&W, pichu etc, and lol plz dont post examples of pro's using those characters.

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
Come oooooooon, There has to be SOMEONE you like over the others! =P
i'll always main luigi, there is no question, however I will play as Olimar, Fox, and Snake a lot because I really enjoyed their games.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
In melee I mained Peach, I don't necessarly LOVE Peach, but in Melee, her playstyle was so unique and she was so awesome to play with that I was just naturally good with her.

I've said it before but: If Peach's moveset in Melee instead had belonged to someone called Homo-Pink-Man, and instead of turnips he threw sculptures of boners at people, I would main him because his moveset fits my playstyle. Regardless of the character it all dumbs down to how YOU like to fight in a fighting game. And the person you play as and learn to be really good with because they fit you, will undoubtably grow on you. I love Peach now.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
Im using every single character in the game cause i like to mix it up when i play

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Ice Climbers, becasue I mained them in Melee(TOO CUTE/UNIQUE!).
Game and watch because I mained him in Melee(TOO CUTE/AWESOME!).
Toon Link because I mained Young Link in Melee(TOO CUTE/FUN)
Wario because he farts and I like him. He's silly. ^_^

:3

Mama

Smash Ace
If they're terrible I wont waste my time maining them. I'd use them but I'd have another character as a main. When I decide on a character to main I first look to see who has great potential then out of those pick the one I like best. I main Peach in Melee. And I like Peach. She's sexy (lol). In Brawl I'll have Peach in my rotation but I've been a Sonic fan forever so I'm hoping to main Sonic. He looks great and has awesome potential so thats all good for me. Using a crappy character doesn't make you "noble" or special at all by the way. Thats just that "its hip to be square" attitude and I assure you many people think this way. Not to say that you shouldn't though. Do whats fun of course since its a game. But don't get that noble man attitude.

Also if you use characters that appeal to you that are also good but not exactly your favorite franchise you should still try them out. For all you know you'll become a fan and want to play more of their games.

Folt

Smash Ace
Luigi is my favorite character, and he has always been my main. So I guess I ain't choosing
characters just because they're high on the tiers.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Both. I will use characters I like (I am a fan of many Nintendo franchises), but if theres's a good character that I like the playstyle of, I'll play that character as well. I may even main that character. I don't think of Smash Bros as just a Nintendo fanboy's wet dream. It's awesome as a stand-alone fighter and I would definitely like to play as a good fighter.

This whole idea of looking down on people picking good characters because they're good has to stop. It's playing to win. It's how the game advances.
But I think that's the problem: with online mode, there's definately going to be a problem with people over using the same character which is why I don't think it's replay value's going to be as "infinite" as some people are claiming it will be. Seriously, want to bet that 1 in every 3 of the online matches will include Sonic, Ike, and Pit?

Brawl Melee 64

Smash Cadet
I have always mained my favorite character. In smash 64 it was Pikachu. In melee, it was/is shiek (this was way before I knew about tiers or smash boards or anything). I dont want to be best as Pikachu or shiek in the next one, because I have some new favorite characters: olimar, pokemon trainer, wolf, metaknight, sonic. I havent decided yet which is my favorite but I'll pick my favorite character despite tiers or anything. I dont even believe in tiers for smash anyways, brawl looks extremely balanced. Everyone should just pick their favorites and become really good as them.

Hitage

Smash Cadet
I've been a Sonic fan since 1991 so naturally I'll use him because i like him. I think thats why a lot of people are planning to use him, not because he looks good and i've used ness since 64 so im stickin with him too.

PT8Sceptile

Smash Rookie
I'll probably want to try really many characters for both possible reasons: power and interestingness. The final list will probably be over half the roster (just like it was in melee).

Bowser: I actually liked playing with him in melee, and because I've been hearing he's better than before, he's definitely a character to try.
Diddy kong: Throwing bananas around the satge sounds fun.
Falco: My main in melee, because of the fact that I learned to play him pretty well after trying out most chars. Looking forward to the changes he's going to get.
Fox: I wasn't so good with him in melee, but he still fits my playstyle.
G&W: For a long time I hated him in melee, but recently I've started to like him. Also, from seeing several vids of him I can only think that he's gotten better, so I'm twice as interested.
Jigglypuff: Loved her in melee. Comes from a series I play, is powerful enough and not too hard to learn IMO. A definite try.
DeDeDe: Walking projectiles FTW. Also, seems heavy and fast enough.
Lucario: I didn't like mew2 in melee because of his lack of physical combat skills. Hopefully lucario fixes that, as then I'd actually like to play a mewtwo-like.
Luigi: For obvious reasons (he RULES, both characteristically and gameplay-wise).
Marth: Power reasons, obviously.
Metaknight: Who cares if this caped orb doesn't have finishers, if he can combo from combo to combo while executing 3 other combos. It will sure annoy my friends to no end. Additionally, he fits my playstyle and looks cool!
Pikmin&Olimar: Unique things deserve a try.
Pokemon trainer: Unique things deserve a try.
R.O.B.: Looks interesting from what I've seen, and unique things deserve a try.
Snake: Cluttering the stage with mines and projectiles will be fun.
Sonic: Good character and also a good-looking interesting playstyle.
Wario: A-WE-SO-ME! He has the waft, the ability to just eat items, the hilarious final smash and a great personality. A definite try!
Yoshi: Liked him in melee so I'm definitely trying him again.
Zelda: Same reason as yoshi.

That's 19 characters I want to try for different reasons. All I can say is that there's no one definite reason for me.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I choose the characters i like.

People who use the best characters simply because there the best cheapen the whole experience, like Blissey users on shoddy

No one actually likes Blissey, it's just some big pink blob. But It's stats are broken, so it's very popular.

Repryx

Smash Champion
That you actually LIKE over what characters are good?

Very simple question.

For instance, since Fox got nerfed, and many of my friends used the hell out of him, they said, "well, if he sucks, then I will just use Wolf."

These are the same people who were singing Fox's praises and saying that he was "THEIR FAVORITE CHARACTER LOL <3" before this news.

Me, I got Diddy Kong. Screw the rest of the roster, I will use Diddy. It is not about stats and all that mess, moreso that it is about fan faithful dedication.

Believe it or not, despite a character's shortcomings, they all have the potential to be something really good...

It is just harder for characters who may suck, and regardless of where Diddy stands, it has no effect on me. I welcome the challenge, and since I HAVE my favorite character in the world, I can put forth ALL my dedication into making him something great.

So what about you?

-State your stance: Use 'em cause you like them, or do you use them for their skill? Why?

Well Ill say Ive been a fan of Fire emblem for years but Ike has always been my favorite Lord,

Sonic, Barring the Monkeys, is just frickin cool "Sonic Sez"

Pit, Kid Icarus was the 1st game I ever beat as a child

Falco, I loved him from starfox and melee "Try to stay alive huh fox?"

Oh and Lucario is just fun to playy with lolz

fishsticks

Smash Apprentice
Shanghai, China /// originally from Troy, MI
I like most of the characters save Yoshi (because no matter what, I can't control him worth crap).

I'll probably use 'fun' characters for fun matches, but when we have the occasional tournament I'm going to be breaking out the Sheik, or whoever my main is in Brawl.

Machete

Smash Ace
I used Mewtwo, Bowser and Ganondorf in Melee. So yeah, even if the character sucks, I'll use him if I like him.

Top Bottom