• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So tell the truth: Will you use characters....

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I played Peach before I knew about the tier list... I hated that she was suddenly "cheap". I liked it a lot better when people underestimated her and then I beat them good! I will still play Peach, either way.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
My only motivation to play this game is to get others to ragequit. Therefore I will pick the lamest character, abuse their lamest move, make my opponent ragequit, move on to the next noob and repeat until no one plays online anymore. I don't expect this to take longer than 10 minutes.
Yeah, you're definitely a troll.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I use characters that I like, [provided they're not slow].

I just really suck with slow characters. Sorry, Ike, Dedede. D: I really want to use those two though, so I'll probably get over it.

I like using characters that I like. I'm definitely on for Kirby and Metaknight, for example! The way they play is very important, however. If vets turn out to be "nerfed", I'll find a way to compensate becayse I like them.

I don't really care what reasons anyone has for using a chara, though. Well, unless they're openly exploiting a character.

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
I have been with Kirby since the begining. I even stuck with him through melee alongside MR.G&W because i love their games and their character and they fit my playstyle perfectly, however this time i may choose a 3rd and 4th main it'll be between Toon Link, zelda/sheik, Samus/ZZS, Sonic, lucario, Pit, Pikachu, Fox/wolf, Yoshi, Metaknight and King DDD.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
i've always chosen my main guy because of how much i like the character. i never pick characters just because they are good or have extra advantages over others.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
I have to like the character in order for me to use them all the time. lucky for me ive been fortunate enough to have characters like Peach and Luigi actually be good characters. I use them in any game that they are in. so when i would win all the time as Peach in melee my friends would be pissed but i always use Peach because i like her as a character and not just as a killing machine in melee. i used Falco as well. and he was always my favorite starfox character.

this time around im thinking maybe throw in Pit out of curiousity and Zamus. and keep Peach,Falco, and luigi. ive always wanted Pit in the game so i'll see how he is. Zamus looks flashy and interesting. oh and Pkmn trainer seems pretty cool. ive always wanted to see squirtle and charizard playable.of course i'll try everyone but those are the ones i might stick with.

ManCarrot

Smash Cadet
I want to play as Pit to get a handle on him since he looks like I can develop something new with him. Though Snake looks like a challenge. Guess I will have to wait and see.

Thino

Smash Master
I use characters I feel good with , neither using them because i'm being faithful to them ,nor because they are top tier.
My main in 64 is Pikachu ,my main in Melee is Falcon ,and I plan to main Zelda

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I will give the characters I like more of a chance.
But after a year or two I will settle in to the characters that I am best with.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Definitly Captain Falcon, Bowser and Ike,
Captain Falcon cause he fits my playstyle,
Bowser, cause he's cool (and I can 4-stock a mid-good Fox with him :p),
Ike, because I really like his style, visual and fighting style, I need to stop watching videos of him, cause it makes me want to move to the USA......

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
Marth was a favorite of mine in melee, but he sucks in brawl. I've been playing the ice climbers as of late in Brawl cause they are good and annoying :) I'm still avoiding using pit and meta though even though they are really good.

WurmTheory

Smash Cadet
I'm a huge fan of the saying "different strokes for different folks." This statement pretty much sums up the complexity of human differences and how relatively similar our differences are (unless they're not, but I'm not looking to go all Existentialist on the subject). Anyways, my point being, that it, all in all, doesn't really matter whether or not someone plays a character in Smash because they're a fan, or plays them because they're good. What matters in Smash is what matters in gaming all together: just having fun.

I personally prefer both sides of the proverbial coin. If I'm not a fan of a character, but find them fun to use in Smash, I'll play as them. If I find a character's move set to more appeal to my gaming (and/or competitive) style, I'll use them. If I've played the game the character belongs to and end up adoring the depth of which they've been portrayed (or etc), I'll use em. n Underneath it all, it makes little difference what character anyone plays, even if they aren't really good with them. They can always practice more, and that adds to the dynamic of Smash.

Tazoku

Smash Rookie
I like the chars with pink outfits >.>
Like C falcon, weegee, and yoshi.
But I like to use everyone, because I like everyone.
Eventually Ill pick a few who's play style I like best to main.

EDIT: Oh and so far I don't like the space animals... But wolf looks nice!

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Sadly, I use characters that are good. In fighting games, there are many characters that I "dislike" yet still use 'em because they're good. (i.e. Marth [SSBM]) However, at the same time I like to take characters that are thought to be "sucky" or "wierd" and just plain make maniacs out of them (Faust [GG]). If I can't do that, then forget the not-so-good characters.

Iron Jawbone

Servant of Malroth
Like a lot of other people here, I'll use who I like as first priority. I mean, I mained Bowser in melee just because I think he's pure awesome.

After that, I'll play as everyone else and if I like how they play, I'll start playing more as them.

OrnageOctopuse

Smash Rookie
I've always been one to play the characters I like over what is "best" in the game. I primarily played heavy characters in SSBM, and we all know how good they were. :\

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd rather use characters I like, I don't believe any character is bad. I think any character can beat any other character with the right strategy. That's why I hate all that tier nonsense. :urg:

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
But... I like all of the characters. I can honestly say there isn't a character on the roster that I hate. At least not the character themselves.... Good Marth players leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I can't really choose a character based off of being a fan, because I'm a fan of all the characters! So I just use lots of people, and I get really good with the ones that fit my play style.
QFT.

I'll be maining the ones in my signature, despite their ranks on the falsified "tier lists".
They'll be "top-tier" in my hands.:)

T-major

Smash Champion
of course! I'm maining Dedede, because I absolutly LOVE him in brawl! his personality is absolutly awesome! he does look like he's a really good character, but thats purely a coincidence. I also plan on using Kirby, because I love him as a character too... actually, I'm probably going to use all three Kirby characters, because thay're all awesome in my opinion.

HOWEVER! I used to main Kirby in Melee, but then switched to Captain Falcon, and then Young Link. Now, I use Y. Link because I like Link as a character, but I use YOUNG Link because I like his playstyle better than regular Link. so being a good character has something to do with it for me, but I generally try to get used to the characters play style first before I drop them; because I prefer to use characters I like.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I'm not quite sure why so many people put emphasis on using your favorite characters as opposed to using the best characters.
Why NOT use the best characters? As long as you're having fun, it's all good.

At first I think everyone will use the characters that they like the most, but as we learn more about competitive aspects of the game, everyone will jump on the bandwagons of the best characters, at least at the competitive level.

v3x?

Smash Journeyman
I used to use fox in melee because he required fast fingers - which i am blessed with having.

Now im playing brawl and trying to figure out who will require the fastest fingers so far im finding some of sonics cancable moves to be fairly quick.

Before brawl i said i'd play the fastest, hardest character.. I guess i cant really sway from that lol

T-major

Smash Champion
I'm not quite sure why so many people put emphasis on using your favorite characters as opposed to using the best characters.
Why NOT use the best characters? As long as you're having fun, it's all good.
because the whole point of Smash bros. is to fight using your favorite Nintendo character. why would somebody WANT to use a character they don't like just because they're good? thats shallow, and ridiculous...

seriously, if they wanted you to use the characters that are good, they would have made up characters for the game instead of using Nintendo characters...

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Samus got nerfed, I'll still use her. Metroid games FTW.
Bowser got buffed, good for me, I'll still use him. Always used him in sport games, my "main" in Mario Strikers BTW.
Lucario is my second favorite pokemon of all time, and you could say I'm the biggest Pokémon player in Peru...
Wolf was my favorite StarFox character ever, I bought StarFox Command for Nintendo DS and when I found out I could play as wolf, I was thrilled. Needless to say Í LOVE Wolf and he was one of my most wanted newcomers. OF COURSE I'm maining him!

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I'd rather use characters I like, I don't believe any character is bad. I think any character can beat any other character with the right strategy. That's why I hate all that tier nonsense. :urg:
Everyone will agree that any character can win, but it is an undeniable and obvious fact that some characters are better than others. This was true for Smash 64 and Melee and will hold true for Brawl. Thus tiers will exist. It is that simple.

because the whole point of Smash bros. is to fight using your favorite Nintendo character. why would somebody WANT to use a character they don't like just because they're good? thats shallow, and ridiculous...
seriously, if they wanted you to use the characters that are good, they would have made up characters for the game instead of using Nintendo characters...
When it comes to COMPETITIVE play, liking a character or not is of little consequence. It's all about the moveset. If you're just playing with friends then fine do what you want. But if you really want to win, it makes sense to give yourself the best chance by using the best characters.
Would you call Mew2King, Ken, Azen or PC Chris "shallow and ridiculous" for using high tier characters primarily?

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
Lucas is who I like, Lucas is who I will play competitively. I believe almost all the characters in Brawl will be tournament viable though, so for me there is no reason as of now to pick who is the best.

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
Me liking the way a character functions is 60% of my decision.
Me liking the actual character is 40% of my decision.
How good the characters is is 0% of my decision.

Viscano

Smash Apprentice
My mains are Pikachu, Yoshi, and Game & Watch...

The only only I really liked was G&W, until I got better with the other 2, then I began to like them.

Overall, I don't main characters I like because I like them... I grow to like characters I main. If that makes sense at all.:ohwell:

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I've planned on using Diddy and Dedede since they were announced no matter what because their my favorite characters. Its just a bonus theyre both good. :bee:

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
To me, those who just go looking for a powerful or comfortable (the same thing) characters are way coward and have little heart. I enjoy defeating those who constantly use the same top tier characters. I will use a character I like, and bring them down no matter what. That is my dream and my challenge.

To be honest, on Melee I gave up on Sheik, Fox and Peach which I liked a lot because they were top tier. I didn't like the fact to have such an advantage and win because of that. Gladly, I found a character a liked and whose fighting style I've always worship, psychics, and I am talking about Ness. The fact he uses fists and kicks, psi, and occasionally some weapons like a bat and yo-yo. I like that a lot.

This time around, I just don't want to be giving up on popular or powerful characters. I will just use the ones I like. And make a name with them. To me, smash is a sport I enjoy. Becoming better and defeating good players. It's also fun. There are also many characters that I use for fun: Yoshi, Pikachu, Wario I guess, Diddy probably ^^ .

Weed

Smash Lord
I'll tell you one thing..

I'm NOT using Bowser because he's the best character in the game.
So what does that leave? xD

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Would you call Mew2King, Ken, Azen or PC Chris "shallow and ridiculous" for using high tier characters primarily?
IMHO, yes I would. Sure, they're not as shallow as say the idiots who start competitive play and automatically assume that they'll win because they choose Sheik (in fact they're much less shallow) But since even a drunken monkey can master Marth in like ten minutes.

But if they were still the best as they were even if they mained someone like Melee Kirby, then....

*whistles*

Hog dawg! I'll have much more respect for them. (And I had a truckload of respect for them anyway)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Kirby is my favorite Nintendo character, to tell you the turth, he's the only reason I stated playing Smash. :laugh: Of course I played other characters to, but Kirby's number one.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
In Melee I could use nearly the entire roster with proficiency. You know, it just gets boring using the same character over and over again. So yeah, I main Link, then Sheik, then Falco... But there were times I'm like "Hey, I'm fighting Doc, Mario, and Peach, might as well use Luigi."

I think in order to be the best Smash player one would have to know the strengths/weakness of other characters. A Link/Doc match up is never in my favor but if I whip out the "Lean Green Killing Machine" I can compete with my friends air game, and out perform it.

So I'll use a character if they're supposed sucky... I main Link and he wasn't to high on tier list. Link is just a fav of mines because he has THE BEST VIDEO GAMES!

So regardless of whether or not Sonic, Pit, Meta Knight, Wolf, and PKMN Trainer suck... I will add them to the arsenal. It's good to have a situational advantage.

That and I pretty much like all the characters. Link, Sheik, Falco, PKMN, Wolf, Pit, Dedede, and Sonic being favs.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I'm maining Wolf who I can win the most with.
I'm alting Wario who is so **** fun to play as

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
IMHO, yes I would. Sure, they're not as shallow as say the idiots who start competitive play and automatically assume that they'll win because they choose Sheik (in fact they're much less shallow) But since even a drunken monkey can master Marth in like ten minutes.

But if they were still the best as they were even if they mained someone like Melee Kirby, then....

*whistles*
Hog dawg! I'll have much more respect for them. (And I had a truckload of respect for them
anyway)
Using low tiers at a competitive level is admirable, but you still haven't given me a good reason why one shouldn't use a character simply because they're good. If money is on the line, why NOT use the best characters?
People generally don't use low tiers even at a highly competitive level for a reason: they are boring. Low tiers like Melee Kirby simply can't accomplish the amazing feats that Marth and Falco can. They are boring to use and there isn't much to learn about then.
And please don't say that anyone can master Marth. It makes you sound like a n00b. Effective spacing is harder to use than it seems, especially at a highly competitive level. Go ask Azen, Ken, or M2K if Marth is an easy character to use.

To me, those who just go looking for a powerful or comfortable (the same thing) characters are way coward and have little heart.
So everyone should avoid good characters just because their good? What kind of loser mentality is that? That's like saying a sports team shouldn't sign great players because "they're too good". High tier characters are those with the greatest potential. They allow the game to be played at the most competitive level. If everyone avoided using the best characters because it's "cowardly", Smash would never have become as competitive as it has.

To be honest, on Melee I gave up on Sheik, Fox and Peach which I liked a lot because they were top tier. I didn't like the fact to have such an advantage and win because of that.
This makes no sense to me. You liked them, but you stop using them because they're good. High tier characters are not unfair. Why do you restrict yourself with this code of honor that says that you mustn't use better characters? If using a high tier character is what it takes to win, then why not? No one will hate you for it.

Top Bottom