• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So tell the truth: Will you use characters....

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
There are about 10 characters in the roster I like a lot making them contenders for being a main of mine. What will ultimately decide it though is which of them I feel is the best fit after testing them for a while.

MasterRaichu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EddieJ86
3DS FC
2337-4950-9512
I've been a Sonic fan since the first game came out over 15 years ago (I was 4 years old). You can be ****ed sure that even though Sonic is said to be a middle tier character, I'll be one of his true fans that will be using him all the time.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I'm a Fire Emblem fanboy/girl, whatever you want to call me, through and through. The fact that Ike got in made me as giddy as a school girl. He's one of my favorite FE lords, if not my favorite, so there's no way I'm not going to main him.

I'll play other characters that I like or that have a play style I like. There is maybe one character I don't care for, Diddy, but I'll still try him out. Definitely Wolf though, especially for his funny little sayings like "What the heck?" and whatnot.

Revven

FrankerZ
Okay, I'm torn between two characters, but before I get into that let me shed some light on myself.

You see, I mained Falco in Melee without knowing he was good. As soon as I unlocked him I said "That's my main." Simply because I loved (don't take that the wrong way now!) Falco at the time and was a huuuuuuge fan of him over anyone else. Before that I used Link as my main and I believe Sheik on the side. That aside, I still use Falco today because of how much I still like him and how good he is.

In Brawl, there's two characters I use frequently in other games they've appeared in. Diddy Kong I use in the sports games (Strikers, Tennis, Golf) and Wolf I use in Assault (since that's the only time he's been available to play as in multiplayer unless, Command changed that). Turns out Diddy Kong is amazing in Brawl, so, he's my main. My secondary is officially Wolf because Falco doesn't spike nearly as well anymore and it looks as though he'll be hard to kill with compared to Wolf who is the Falco of Brawl IMO. I'm not using Wolf because he'll be good, I'm using him because I like him more than Falco and because he plays more like the old Falco and I cannot wait to get my hands on him and turn him into amazing like I did with Falco.

Troggy

Smash Rookie
Game & Watch was my main in Melee, and since he hasn't changed much, i'll use him in Brawl. Might switch once I play it though.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Pikachu's been my main since the first Smash Brothers.

In Melee, I added Young Link and used those two along with Pichu.

Now, I'll be using Pikachu and Toon Link. I'm also adding Pokemon Trainer (Thank you Sakurai!) and Pikmin and Olimar because I love those characters.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
I will probably still main Link because I think LoZ is kickass. He's actually not that bad for my play style, either, as I don't get knocked around as much and can chuck projectiles if necessary. Now I have even more reason to play as him, as Toon Link will be my new punching bag. What better way to use Link than to kill his potato-headed wanna-be clone?

IWANTHOTDOG

Smash Apprentice
I'm keeping my mains to Sonic and the Starfox/ Starwolf team. I don't care how good they will be, but they will probably own anyway. I love StarFox 64 and Sonic is awesome, speed is my favorite.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Well, I chose Fox because I loved his games. I quit him after I discovered that everyone and their brother used him in Melee. I might pick him back up if not the whole world is gonna use him. I was gonna use Wolf, but it looks like he's falling into the same fate as Fox did in Melee. I dunno, for some reason it doesn't feel good if I beat someone with the best character in the game, plus they always whine that it's because, "Fox is so broken!" So I picked up the Doc in Melee. But, I digress. Long sotry short, I'll use Fox purely from fanbase if he's no the super best character that everyone uses.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I personally like to do both. My one main will be Sonic, and my other will be whomever I'm best with. I did this with Kirby and Fox in Melee.

S_K_S_K

Smash Rookie
Pit: Chose to main him when I saw the E3 06 trailer.
Lucario: Promised myself when Diamond and Pearl were released that I would main him.
Wolf: I like how he's aggressive.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I'll probably start off using most of the characters, except Yoshi, ICs, and a few others that just don't appeal to me at all. I expect to use probably 30 or so of them for a while, and from there I'll narrow it down to probably 3-4 that I'll stick with based on who I am playing.

I say 3-4 because I used Marth and Falcon in Melee, and with more characters I'll probably have a bit more diversity. Falcon + someone + someone (used Falcon in SSB and SSBM, so I have no doubt he is getting used in Brawl too.) Other than him, I don't know, probably Marth again because he has not seemed to have changed much, aside from his range (ouch). Wolf looks pretty good, so I will probably use him a lot. Those are just guesses though.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I actually tend to NOT use characters if they're good. During my time with Brawl, I played mainly Yoshi, Wario and Young Link. I considered maining Young Link, but he feels so good that it gives me too big of an advantage and that I don't need to try as hard to win. I'd rather use someone that makes winning a challenge.

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
I'm use Luigi and Yoshi, not only because I am good with them, but because they are my favorite nintendo characters. I used peach and Ice Climbers not because I like them, but because I was good with them. And of course, I'm gonna use Dedede, not only because hes a funny, awesome character, but also because he fits my playing style.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
i like to play interesting characters (Zelda/Sheik, and future PT), idk if i'm going to like olimar, though. I like characters that match my play style (i'm an aerial combo demon, yes it's an awesome strength but a horrible weakness) so i'll play pit, zelda, sheik, Marth, and Peach (I loved Marth, Peach, and Zelda/Sheik in melee). And no, I didn't start playing Marth cuz' he's in a high tier, i played him cuz' i liked his speed, and aerial capabilities (i actually liked roy before i liked marth).

AIM0001

Smash Lord
FOX will always be my fav to use no matter what...you say he's "nerfed" or whatever, aint gon stop me $Hit I'll still whoop sum @$$ wit him. They probably did it just to balance..but I doubt he gonna suck though.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Just about all of us will use characters that we like, only a few will use characters that's easy to use, (I don't want to use that word again <_<).

I pick Ness since the 64 days, but now my new first main is Ike becasue I like the FE series a bit more than the Mother/EarthBound series, and Ike is my most favorite FE Lord. But Ness will still be on of my best and favoirte characters that I use in Smash Bros.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
That you actually LIKE over what characters are good?

Very simple question.

For instance, since Fox got nerfed, and many of my friends used the hell out of him, they said, "well, if he sucks, then I will just use Wolf."

These are the same people who were singing Fox's praises and saying that he was "THEIR FAVORITE CHARACTER LOL <3" before this news.

Me, I got Diddy Kong. Screw the rest of the roster, I will use Diddy. It is not about stats and all that mess, moreso that it is about fan faithful dedication.

Believe it or not, despite a character's shortcomings, they all have the potential to be something really good...

It is just harder for characters who may suck, and regardless of where Diddy stands, it has no effect on me. I welcome the challenge, and since I HAVE my favorite character in the world, I can put forth ALL my dedication into making him something great.

So what about you?

-State your stance: Use 'em cause you like them, or do you use them for their skill? Why?
I like almost every newcomer and veteran, except maybe DK, Peach and Sheik. But i'll simply use the characters I find myself having the most fun playing with, now Olimar, Ike, PT, MK and Dedede are high on the list.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Mained Kirby in 64 cause i liked him(not because he was good)
Mained Kirby in melee(dispite he lack luster appearence)
Maining Kirby in Brawl cause i like him
but SubMaining Meta-Knight cause he's fast and DeDeDe to differ up my play style

yamay

Smash Rookie
I've picked whever I liked on the 64, I picked my favorites in Melee, and I will continue to choose whoever I think is cool in Brawl...

Then again, if someone was to play in a tournament I could understand that they'd want to choose the best character.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I'm lucky. The characters I like such as Pit and Toon Link are expected to be top tier contenders in Brawl. Also, Marth is still a god, and I liked him for being a finesse-ful sword wielding badass back before I knew about the overpowered tipper and tournament play in general. Life is good.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I generally pick characters that I like, but usually one of my 3 mains( I limit myself to 3 for each game) usually ends up being a high tier character that I'm really good at. For example, Samus and Jigglypuff were my mains and I love playing with them, but I was very good with Sheik and used her as well, even though I don't like her as much.

BTW, my mains for SSBB will probably be Meta Knight, Olimar, and Snake.

Rauzaruke

Smash Apprentice
This thread needs more Mario.

As for past characters, the one that always stood out the most was Mario. I think it really is the balance of not having any major weaknesses and strengths really catered to my play style. I really can't put my finger on it, but I've always "clicked" with him. That, and I love the plumber for all he is.

With that being said I also liked mixing it up by playing as a different character for every match. The closest "Main" I ever had was Mario really, and it looks to be the same way in Brawl. Its a shame I like all the characters save Marth. I don't know what it is, but I just can't stand playing as him.

As for the newer characters, I adore ZS Samus, Olimar, DeDeDe, and MetaKnight. Each have their little quirks I think I would work well with. Then again, I should play the game before saying anything more, but I was totally on the Dedede train before he was announced. I'll probably end up playing as random characters again since I love them all. (Good thing they have a random option now. I know I'll use it.)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That you actually LIKE over what characters are good?

Very simple question.

For instance, since Fox got nerfed, and many of my friends used the hell out of him, they said, "well, if he sucks, then I will just use Wolf."

These are the same people who were singing Fox's praises and saying that he was "THEIR FAVORITE CHARACTER LOL <3" before this news.

Me, I got Diddy Kong. Screw the rest of the roster, I will use Diddy. It is not about stats and all that mess, moreso that it is about fan faithful dedication.

Believe it or not, despite a character's shortcomings, they all have the potential to be something really good...

It is just harder for characters who may suck, and regardless of where Diddy stands, it has no effect on me. I welcome the challenge, and since I HAVE my favorite character in the world, I can put forth ALL my dedication into making him something great.

So what about you?

-State your stance: Use 'em cause you like them, or do you use them for their skill? Why?

Lol 3 out of 4 of my mains look like theyll be fantastic (Well actually, DK is no slouch either) but I'll use them whether theyre good or not, simply because of the memories I share playing their games, and my DKC fanboyness that attracts me to DK and Diddy. (Wherefore art thou K. Rool? :( )

So yeah, Ill main my 4 choices because I love them, not depending on how good they are. Hell, I mained DK and G&W in melee along with Ganon.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, say My favorite Video Game character happens to be Ness. I adore Ness. However Ness sucks. I don't have fun playing because Ness sucks. Therefor I will not play Ness.(Actually My favorite character is Midna, but she's not an option :( )

Essentially you should play who you have fun playing. I have fun with Marth. I have Fun w/ Peach. I have Fun w/ Youg Link. I will play whoever I have fun with. So I will play characters based more on their movesets and less on who they are so i have more fun playing.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
I mained Jigglypuff in Smash 64 because she was my favorite Pokemon. She turned out to be pretty sweet. I continued my path of destruction with her in Melee, and I'll continue to do so in Brawl.

Marth was my main in Melee because of his playstyle, and he looked pretty powerful. At that time, I split my two mains at that time depending on my situation- Marth for one-on-one, and Jigglypuff for free-for-alls.

I fell in love with Pit after seeing him in the E3 '06 and Nintendo World '06 trailers, despite him not being a character I wanted in the roster. After seeing him in subsequent movies and trailers, I figured, "Hey, he seems to have a good style. Maybe I should give him a shot." I plan to make him my Brawl main, but I may have to use him in certain situations. Plus I love angels, and Pit is... well, you know.

Wolf and Zero Suit Samus have styles I like, so I'll probably play as them.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
you caught me. i only used peach in melee because of her skills. i will change this, though, since characters in brawl seem to be very balanced. i will finally use bowser again just like the old days. and i also love dedede so i'll be using him as well. i'm also a big zelda fan so i'll be using link and ganondorf as well.

iron blade

Smash Ace
Well, it all started with Link. I liked him even if he wasn't good. I loved his playstyle, with the sword, projectiles, grapple, ect. I wanted to play as Pit ever since I saw him in the first trailer. I immediately liked Ike when I saw him, and still liked him even when people at E For All said he was bad. Metaknight is just cool in general, but I won't use him as much as Pit or Ike. I always liked Peach, and she turned out to be pretty good. Basically, I play as characters I like and disregard their position on the tier list.

Zek

Smash Ace
I definitely play characters that I like. I can't get excited about playing a character that doesn't appeal to me aesthetically and conceptually. I'll probably pick a handful of characters I like the most, and choose from them the one I play best to main. Right now I'm thinking Yoshi, Kirby, or Lucas. Of course that could change once I've actually played everybody, and I go through different phases too so who knows how long I'll last on one character. Ideally though I'd like to play a character that's fairly good but also unpopular. I like being fairly unique - I could never bring myself to main a cookie cutter character like Melee's Fox or Marth.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
I have always used characters I like. I actually tend to avoid characters that are considered top tier.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
If you want to be anywhere near decent, you need a good character.

I double-mained Young Link and Marth. Young Link because he's awesome, Marth because he's good.

Everyone needs a favorite low-tier.

Ruggeth

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Kong was my game idol back when I was 5.

Donkey kong country 2 was an epic game. I said I would main Diddy the day he was released. I still plan on it.

Top Bottom