• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So technically, anyone who DOESN'T plank is a scrub?

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Planking is pretty much the most effective way to win, agreed?

Do a whorenado, ledgecamp for the next 8 minutes.

This is probably the most risk-free option to win the match.

Therefore, any other tactic is pretty much an 'honorable' one, and therefore a scrubby option.

True/false, tell me your opinion.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Yeah it's boring as hell, but you're playing to win, not for fun.

Whoever has the higher percent loses the match if time runs out, by most tourney rulesets.

If you're metaknight on the ledge, how the heck are they going to stop you?

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Obviously, the opponent shouldn't be a moron and actually pursue you while you are ledge humping.

And ledge humping for 8 minutes is...really boring.
See this is exactly the problem. You are right, approaching the edge will put you at a disadvantage. Some characters have some other way to try to get him off the edge, but most are better off just sitting back and waiting for them to stop. If they don't, then yeah... 8 minutes pass, and plank wins.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
Technically yes, and that's exactly why the community needs to address the issue of ledge camping in Brawl.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
It is a big "if", certainly. If planking wins you matches consistently, it is certainly the right thing to do; not doing so would indeed flag scrub behavior.

Adapt

Smash Lord
ZSS ftw!

down-smash>stage spiking bair

down-smash outranges the stupid **** on the edge that most characters can do so it's quite safe

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Then is he vulnerible when he comes back. or you can ledge gaurd.
If you use a drill rush (or a few others) he can immediately latch onto the ledge with invincibility frames.

Trust me, Metaknight has PLENTY of options here. I shouldn't even have to explain these.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I thought ledge stalling was banned. So technically, anyone who does plank is a cheater.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Not really. I don't plank because it's probably too risk if done wrong. Besides, it fits the defensive nature of this game. So unless the person is stalling without any sort of retaliation just to save his/her low damage, it's just another tactic that's quite tricky to overcome.

K 2

Smash Lord
omfg...another one of these threads?

Unless your going against an MK, you should easily destroy your opponent who is ledgecampping, which has plenty of counters.

:034:

Smash Hero
If your opponent picked MK - then you too should be playing with MK. Then, you should have enough options to get MK off the ledge.

This thread = "Pick MK or you're a scrub"

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
M2K made a topic about this like a month or so ago in Tournament discussion. The tactic does actually **** over several characters. If you've ever been a Wolf player who was doing too well and then the Meta Knight decides he wants to eek out a ledge camping win, there's absolutely nothing you can do about this beyond attempting to Stage Spike Bair. Of course, this is so pathetically predictable that the Meta Knight will just ledge hop dair you and gimp you. Wolf is far from the only character with absolutely no options in this situation.

K 2

Smash Lord
If you're doing too well, then I assume you're in the winning position. That means MK can stall all he wants, but since you're in the lead, you will win the match...lol

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I agree, it's very sad, but it's the mentality of the American smash community (at least for a lot of them)

Mith_

Smash Champion
We might as well make all matches MK vs MK 1 stock no time limit, that's the only way to prevent planking.

Or just take the time limit off of all matches?

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
We might as well make all matches MK vs MK 1 stock no time limit, that's the only way to prevent planking.

Or just take the time limit off of all matches?
You're not the first to suggest that, (even I've tried to suggest it). This is the response I got:

"Then people could use tactics that take forever to do, and they would just camp the entire match."

Camping =/= KO moves though, but whatever I guess...

BrutalBrutal

Smash Cadet
Exactly, not doing so makes you a scrub

Not planking if planking will win you the match makes you a scrub. The "sad" fact is that if you're playing to win (i.e. not a scrub) and stalling by ledgecamping will pretty much surely win you the match, you are a scrub.

The fact that this is a very viable way to win matches and that therefore players use it doesn't make those players "cheap" (biggest scrub word ever), it makes Brawl a boring and shallow competitive game. This is what we've been trying to tell the scrub contingent of the community for so long, but like typical scrubs, they block their ears and spew up popular scrub phrases like "cheap" and "Melee 2.0".

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
QQ, Brutal, QQ.

It's you whining, not them. "Waaaah Brawl sucks."
Swastika, stop being an asshat. He brought up a valid point and you basically write it off as whining. Swastika, you sound like a closet scrub, using ledgestalling and the definition of a scrub to make fun of all those who play to win.

Really, if I was in a big tournament and this was allowed and money was on the line, I'd do it if it would get me the win. At worst, it would bring attention to the issue and I'd lose. If I win, it brings more attention and I get some cash.

Luckily, I don't play Brawl and don't have to deal with this.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Now that's just sad.
It's sad if you don't have something worth winning on the line.

Anything else, I don't mind.

It can be countered easily with most characters. (Projectiles..)
You play to win though. All I can say. Do what you have to do.

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
Why are people calling this an "American" mentality? Go anywhere, tournaments will be played the exact same. People will use their most powerful strategy. And how many tournaments have you guys gone to where the winner of the tournament won because they were planking.

So far all the videos i've seen are a select few matches from one plank. Is he the only person who uses this strategy to its fullest? Currently all this does is scream "PICK METAKNIGHT". The entire game engine is stacked for metaknight, I don't see why you expected hanging off the ledge to be any different. This happened because they designed the game to satisfy a person for a few months. They have your $50 for the game, they don't care whether you are capable of enjoying the game for 8 years, 2 years, or 2 months.

Also, if someone is camping the ledge for an advantage, it is because they are in the lead. In almost every form of competition. The first team to score gets an advantage. They no longer need to score to win the game. They can play very conservatively because they could never score a point the entire game and win, because all they have to do is shut down the opponents offense. This is the same everywhere, not just brawl. This tactic makes it very hard to hit the opponent, but not impossible.

Once I was facing a metaknight as snake and he did this ledgegrabbing strategy. He used the tornado to rack me up to about 20% (I suck against the tornado >.<). Then just grabbed the ledge renewing his invincibility frames. So did I charge the edge like he wanted? No, I went to the other edge and started chucking grenades. Almost all of them just exploded on his invincibility frames, but eventually I got one to just drop over the edge, explode right below him, and catch him in the explosion.

Now I run towards him to follow up now that hes above the ledge. Do I attack? No, in brawl there is no hitstun. He has control of his character almost instantly after being hit. I shield, and he nairs against my shield. After that I catch him in my forward tilt. He recovers back to the edge. Now he is at 30% no lives lost, and I am at 20% no lives lost. We are now 3 minutes into the match and I am winning because he was planking. Metaknight tears me apart because of his speed, so he started to fight normally and almost 2-stocked me (I got a nice uptilt in the end).

Just remember this if someone decides to ledgestall against you:

1. Time is on your side.
2. Range is your friend.
3. If he is only 10% ahead of you, make your desperate attempt with about 10-20 seconds to go, not when he can easily take it back.
4. If he is 60% ahead of you, you probably would have lost whether he ledgestalls or not. Start trying to take it back, but you better get lucky.

This metaknight didn't even end up winning the tournament. He lost to another metaknight who was much better than him.

I lost that match, but it showed me how planking is not some broken strategy. It is very good against characters without range. But it is nowhere near as broken as it is being made out to be. It just isn't very exciting to watch, and as i've been saying for a while.

"Tournaments are to decide who is the better smash player, not to make cool looking youtube videos."

edit: tl;dr version:

1. Ledgestalling isnt that great.
2. You have 8 minutes to hit him again.
3. Use range.
4. Make your attempt to raise his percentage above yours at the last minute.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Swastika, stop being an asshat. He brought up a valid point and you basically write it off as whining. Swastika, you sound like a closet scrub, using ledgestalling and the definition of a scrub to make fun of all those who play to win.

Really, if I was in a big tournament and this was allowed and money was on the line, I'd do it if it would get me the win. At worst, it would bring attention to the issue and I'd lose. If I win, it brings more attention and I get some cash.

Luckily, I don't play Brawl and don't have to deal with this.
His 'valid point' was two paragraphs whining about Brawl. I don't want the thread polluted with that crap. He can go make his own thread if he wants to complain. I've always had zero tolerance for threadjacking. Just shut up and go away.

Also, I call this an 'American mentality' because I'll be ****ed if I ever saw a Japanese game where the players camped there way through.

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
Also, I call this an 'American mentality' because I'll be ****ed if I ever saw a Japanese game where the players camped there way through.
Fanboy senses tingling batman. >.> <.<

The only 2 ledgecampers I have seen are plank, and the guy who was attempting to copy him. It's not like its any more widespread here. Who cares about japan vs america, they're playing the same game there, and the same tactics work. There is no superior/inferior between the two. Just because you can't enjoy every youtube video placed on the net doesn't mean theres a problem with the way people are playing.

edit: sorry, got a lil angry there, I hate whenever people bring race into a debate.

edit edit: After scanning the tubes for Japan regioned tournaments, I can't find any high level tournaments at all.

edit edit edit: and after I typed all that, you only decided to make racist remarks about my first sentence.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
I sense a butthurt scrub. Whats wrong with having the win as ultimate goal in tournaments?
If you dont feel like being around people with that mindset, dont attend tournaments. If you dont, stop complaining.
This is a legitimate tactic since its not gamebreaking. We dont see MKs winning a huge percent of the tournaments using mainly this tactic. Besides, im easily convinced. Attend important tournament X, with respectable players and win using nothing but this.
If its so broken that we must ban it surely its good enough.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Plank is supa pro. If he can win thousands using like, three moves then that means you're playing a ****ty game.. Snake has lots of options against Planking, like granades, C4 (C3 in some situations) the missile...

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
No, johning about planking is being a scrub. Anyway, unless someone is blatantly stalling, planking is legal.

Top Bottom