• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, show of hands -- who's actually happy that we can't taunt during netplay?

Tell me how you REALLY feel....

• Taunting is cool, we should be able to do it. Learn to manage your emotions.

Votes: 142 88.8%
  • Taunting sucks, it's salt-inducing. Just save it for CPUs and couch play.

Votes: 18 11.3%

• Total voters

LightLV

Smash Ace
I just dont understand.

It's called a taunt. It's literal function is to goad your opponent. The characters have animations and voice quotes that do this for you. They even let you cancel it mid-animation in this game so it's less of a commitment, which is only ever done when developers actually intend for you to use it mid-match.

....So why did they think it was a good idea to remove it from netplay? I can understand not being able to seek out players for a rematch, i can understand no custom messages....but seriously?

Is this level of coddling really necessary? Is this where we're at in 2018?

I mean it just leaves us with teabagging which is actually worse.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I don't care much for the teabagging because its kind of annoying/childish. At least with the taunts they are serving the purpose they are made for. Also I believe some of them actually work in-game like Snake's cardboard box.

Last edited:

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
I agree, people should stop being childish about an "in-game" taunt. However, I guess that is to be expected since everyone gets offended nowadays, it is 2018 after all.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
It's pretty bizarre really. I would like to have taunts online. Offended by a taunt? Just body them.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
In Brawl , "Taunt Parties" plagued online and could be considered another form of griefing. Interrupt the party by playing the game normally? Get focused by everyone.

In Smash 4, you were downsized to 3 taunts a match. Tbh, I found this to work and it didn't contribute to "unintentional" gameplay.

Now, in Ultimate, you can't taunt at all in QP, but you can feel free to do your taunt spam in an Arena.

You'd think that ever since I watched that one all DDD taunt party in Brawl Spectator Mode that Sakurai actually liked Taunt Parties. Nope!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I mean. Where's the "I don't really care honestly" option on that poll.

When people taunt, they taunt. It doesn't really get me any more riled up than I already am for losing a stock. My only regret is that now I can't assign certain word bubbles to the taunt to use mid-match.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Dark Samus doesn't have her laugh as a taunt, so taunting online has less value to me :glare:

1FC0

Smash Lord
In Brawl , "Taunt Parties" plagued online and could be considered another form of griefing. Interrupt the party by playing the game normally? Get focused by everyone.
How does that work in 1v1? Taunts are banned in 1v1 as well.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I mean, people are just going to teabag if they want to taunt you anyway, so there's really no reason to not have taunts.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
How does that work in 1v1? Taunts are banned in 1v1 as well.
There was no true 1v1 mode in Brawl's online if that's what you meant. Taunt is a taunt, no matter the number of opponents.

1FC0

Smash Lord
There was no true 1v1 mode in Brawl's online if that's what you meant. Taunt is a taunt, no matter the number of opponents.
I thought that you meant that taunt parties are a reason to ban taunts now.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
They said in the November Direct that they'd be looking at Elite Smash gameplay for indications on how to balance the game, so maybe they'll see the teabagging and realize removing taunts was kind of a dumb way to reduce ragequitting, since people just find other ways to taunt their opponents aside from a button designed to do it.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
What I don't get is why Greninja, Luigi, and Snake have their taunts disabled as they do damage.

Yet Kirby can still taunt to remove copy abilities.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Seriously, Nintendo should stop treating its fanbase like children (even if that is there target audience).
No other FG does this, so I don't see why Nintendo saw the need to.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Being a King Dedede main means I suffer little since holding crouch is the only taunt worth using. But as any other fighter, damn I miss taunting.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I thought that you meant that taunt parties are a reason to ban taunts now.
I don't understand 100% either, but the fact that taunt parties usually contributed to griefing against players just playing the game normally is a fair enough indicator for their decision on this.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
The problem is they took away taunting too early to judge. I heard taunt parties is a brawl thing.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I agree, "I couldn't care less" should've been an option.

:ultluigi::ultsnake::ultgreninja:'s taunts are pretty situational and I have a hard time imagining an adult being offended by not being able to rub their victory in their opponent's face.

It's just cosmetic, its removal shouldn't make any difference.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
I vote for their return because that's one less thing we're able to do, and no one likes being told they can't do something.
But, for now...
limitations promote creativity... let's see what else can we do besides tea-bagging.

Slow walking as a taunt?
pivot dancing? (not dash dancing in place, you know what I'm talking about, shake it and don't you dare break it)
Shield breaking yourself? (Jigglypuff users beware)
Immediately self-destructing off the side of the stage? (lemming style)

... then there's spamming moves but that's just silly, no one would ever do that >.>

1FC0

Smash Lord
I vote for their return because that's one less thing we're able to do, and no one likes being told they can't do something.
But, for now...
limitations promote creativity... let's see what else can we do besides tea-bagging.

Slow walking as a taunt?
pivot dancing? (not dash dancing in place, you know what I'm talking about, shake it and don't you dare break it)
Shield breaking yourself? (Jigglypuff users beware)
Immediately self-destructing off the side of the stage? (lemming style)

... then there's spamming moves but that's just silly, no one would ever do that >.>
None of the above. Teabagging seems to be popular and that has been done in games for decades.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Taunting is soooooooo two-thousand-Melee. After I net a KO, I'll squat-dance with Kirby, stand in one place and swing Pits A rapid jab, or stand in one place and swipe Wolf's Claw. Otherwise I'm prepping my charges with Dark Samus and Lucario.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
This is just stupid. And IF they want people to have the option to receive taunts during online, they can add an option on the menu to activate taunts just like they have for the messages. They can even let it disabled by default, but dont punish everyone because some people that feels offended.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Shouldn't have been removed. Besides Luigi had a taunt that could be used in battle... Snake's box too.

1FC0

Smash Lord
And it is as tasteless in smash as it is in every other game under the sun.

There's riling chiding and then there's corpse riding.
Are people out there corpse riding?
I should hope not.
Teabagging does not look nearly as disrespectful without a corpse to teabag but it still gets the point across decently enough for me.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Welcome to 2018 where everyone gets easily upset and cries about everything. I don't see why taunting got removed. I thought it was a bug at first, but if they purposely removed taunting because it got people upset, said people seriously need to put the controller down and go take a walk outside. I also play Kirby as you can tell, and this somewhat hurts him with his copy abilities.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Welcome to 2018 where everyone gets easily upset and cries about everything. I don't see why taunting got removed. I thought it was a bug at first, but if they purposely removed taunting because it got people upset, said people seriously need to put the controller down and go take a walk outside. I also play Kirby as you can tell, and this somewhat hurts him with his copy abilities.
No worries, Kirby is allowed to taunt specifically to get rid of a copy ability. He's as restricted as everybody else without them. At least, that's what I heard.

WerdoPerson

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4786-2190-0811
I don’t get it... they are TAUNTS! There purpose is to, well taunt your opponent. And for a character who’s taunts are useful in a match, (Kirby for getting rid of powers, Luigi’s ledge spike etc.) It kinda takes out gameplay mechanics

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
The petty thing which irks me is how, in regular Smash matches, the action pauses and the match ends so abruptly that you can't even get in one last taunt in slow-mo. The game is just over with a big ugly smoke 'splosion and your character extended in attack pose. Totally anticlimactic.

Smash4 had so much polish and little fun shenanigans that it hurts to play Ultimate. Makes me think we would have been better off with a straight port after all.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I won't lie, I got slightly irritated whenever a For Glory Bayonetta or Cloud taunted in For Glory, but like, I never actually wanted taunts removed from the game. And that had more to do with my annoyance towards those two characters then an issue with taunting itself.

At least I still have the Zard walk.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
The petty thing which irks me is how, in regular Smash matches, the action pauses and the match ends so abruptly that you can't even get in one last taunt in slow-mo. The game is just over with a big ugly smoke 'splosion and your character extended in attack pose. Totally anticlimactic.

Smash4 had so much polish and little fun shenanigans that it hurts to play Ultimate. Makes me think we would have been better off with a straight port after all.
neat. opinions are fun.
here, have one of mine!
You're wrong.

...dammit I promised I'd behave. Look what you made me do (I'd be responsible and blame myself, but this feels better)

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Actually, I hate the crouch-spamming much worse than taunting (and that "dash-dancing" is annoying as well). And here I was steadily getting use to them. Just can't win on a mental game these days.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I mean wow I miss taunting, but some people are really getting worked up over this. It's a small disappointment it's gone from quickplay matches but it's also such a small detail that I'm surprised people are using it as a serious argument against Ultimate's online.
Actually, I hate the crouch-spamming much worse than taunting (and that "dash-dancing" is annoying as well). And here I was steadily getting use to them. Just can't win on a mental game these days.
Well dash-dancing isn't meant to be a sign of disrespect, it's mostly meant to try and make your next move more unpredictable and harder to react to, so keep that in mind and it might become a bit less annoying to you. Chances are if your opponent is dance dashing in between stocks they're just practicing their movement.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't care should've been a third option. I don't care if people liked taunting or not, it doesn't bother me personally. Crounching countless times and "dash dancing" isn't an issue either.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Well dash-dancing isn't meant to be a sign of disrespect, it's mostly meant to try and make your next move more unpredictable and harder to react to, so keep that in mind and it might become a bit less annoying to you. Chances are if your opponent is dance dashing in between stocks they're just practicing their movement.
It isn't, but it does annoy me.

Garolymar

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
4129-5499-6687
The only time I really ever taunted online was at the beginning of the match, I always thought it was a nice gentlemanly way to start a duel.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I never really cared about taunts. I don't mind not having them so I don't get taunted by arrogant bad players (like some who get lucky due to lag), but I do feel sorry for Luigi, Snake, and especially Kirby who actually do have value in using them. Then again, I don't use either of those three, so I clearly don't care. If anything, I can try to create unique taunting methods, like using Pit's N-air rapidly, or maybe Down-B after a KO (he says "haha" occasionally), or heck, even use the move that KO'd the opponent after KOing them. It's all about creativity, with the exception of the case of the 3 characters I mentioned earlier.

But to make my answer to the OP short, I'm more in favor of no taunts, though I still do worry about the case with Luigi, Snake, and Kirby. Come to think of it, I think even K.Rool has a taunt that has super armor too that he could've used within reason. At least ppl can still taunt in Arenas, but I assume no taunting is there because of the ranking system thing and all, but oh well. It's not like it affects me at all (Sorry Luigi, Snake, and Kirby players).

Top Bottom