• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So on a scale of sugar cane farm to salt mines how upset are people that THIS is Real.

Yep I am srs.

• Sugar Cane Farm

Votes: 168 81.6%
  • Salt Mine

Votes: 49 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Maybe if we got rid of the non-game character rule, I can finally stop trolling YouTube comments saying my favorite character from a childhood game can't be in Smash. Disney's involvement in Kingdom Hearts makes Sora's thread look like a rule breaker, and it's awful for me to feel that because I had just bought my PS4 to pre-order Kingdom Hearts III, and why am I talking about Sora again? This is a Piranha Plant thread. I've already backed off from the Sora thread. Why did you quote an old comment, SAF?
In what way is Sora not a videogame character?

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
How far can his neck stretch? Does he have a longer reach than the Belmonts' whips?
He can hit the top platform of a battlefield sized stage from the base, even at a slight angle. He can also reach across platforms. Imo it looks as though his range with the stretch attack is slightly longer than the Belmont smash attacks.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Thank God; a person with a brain. I wish I was one of these simpletons that didn't care about characters and just was like "derp; there goes crazy Sakurai again. I love it!"; I can't even bear to watch GameXplain's discussion because I know they're going to be praising how no one saw it coming - that doesn't make for a good choice.

I will again certify that they did an amazing job executing the character given the circumstances.

The one saving grace is them acting like this is just some day-one bonus that not much mind should be given to.
Look at me guys I'm so above everyone for not liking a character and taking roster inclusions way to seriously unlike those simpletons!

Pathetic. You aren't smarter or better than anyone for being a prude. Have fun being miserable!

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Look at me guys I'm so above everyone for not liking a character and taking roster inclusions way to seriously unlike those simpletons!

Pathetic. You aren't smarter or better than anyone for being a prude. Have fun being miserable!
In the heat of the moment this was bad; it was like asking for a piece of bread for Xmas and being given a wrapped-up turd.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
In the heat of the moment this was bad; it was like asking for a piece of bread for Xmas and being given a wrapped-up turd.
Nothing gives me more joy than seeing people like you cry, piss, and moan when their “Literally who?” character isn’t in the game, even though it was always a pipe dream in reality.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Piranha Plant is unironically one of the most hype additions to Smash in Smash history, acknowledging that there are super hype inclusions every game. Was not and am not disappointed one bit. Certainly a lot better than 98% of the characters that the Newcomer Discussion echo chamber wanted in

pipe dream
:colorful:

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Piranha Plant is unironically one of the most hype additions to Smash in Smash history, acknowledging that there are super hype inclusions every game. Was not and am not disappointed one bit. Certainly a lot better than 98% of the characters that the Newcomer Discussion echo chamber wanted in

:colorful:
Bu-but, my obscure jrpg character from a franchise that hasn’t had a game in years didnt get in! Its all the stupid Plant’s fault. If he wasn’t in then my character would be in!!!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, judging by how the characters in the Fighters Pass have stages and Piranha Plant doesn't count toward the pass, I'm guessing he's the only DLC fighter in Ultimate to come from a repped series and the Fighter Pass would consist of third-party franchises that weren't acknowledged in the base game.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Well, judging by how the characters in the Fighters Pass have stages and Piranha Plant doesn't count toward the pass, I'm guessing he's the only DLC fighter in Ultimate to come from a repped series and the Fighter Pass would consist of third-party franchises that weren't acknowledged in the base game.
We don’t know if that is actually the case. Tons of people misquote reggie and say that he said the DLC will be from new franchises, but what he actually said was “these will Be characters new to the franchise”, which is only implying thst they will not be veterans, an obvious statement considering all veterans are here.

Dan

Smash Lord
Nothing gives me more joy than seeing people like you cry, piss, and moan when their “Literally who?” character isn’t in the game, even though it was always a pipe dream in reality.
I'm sorry it upsets you that I don't like your character.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
So instead of some anime looking character from some game that sold 2 copies, or a deader than disco franchise character whose last game was in 1998, we get a staple from the most famous gaming franchise in the world with an amazing move set and a newfound yet very passionate fanbase which has supported him since November as well as creating media to bring joy to others. Now I know that I come across as harsh, but so do you with your statements. In fact I’d wager that your generalizations of anyone who likes the plant as brainless as well as your implication of inferiority is far more cruel and baseless. If you respond, I’d like evidence for your previous statements. Or don’t bother to respond.

Dan

Smash Lord
So instead of some anime looking character from some game that sold 2 copies, or a deader than disco franchise character whose last game was in 1998, we get a staple from the most famous gaming franchise in the world with an amazing move set and a newfound yet very passionate fanbase which has supported him since November as well as creating media to bring joy to others. Now I know that I come across as harsh, but so do you with your statements. In fact I’d wager that your generalizations of anyone who likes the plant as brainless as well as your implication of inferiority is far more cruel and baseless. If you respond, I’d like evidence for your previous statements. Or don’t bother to respond.
Let me preface this by saying Mario is my favorite franchise and I hate the surplus of anime sword wielders being included in the game, but I've kind gotten over this old post that people keep digging up... it's controversial (whatever), but the character was a slap in the face (or more like a ton of bricks to the head) to people who actually desire characters and go into Directs expecting characters that aren't generic enemies. This was so bad that it just stopped making me care; 10x worse than Corrin/Bayo. Idk how they could outdo this, but they will.

The plant is a god to people who watch the Directs but don't have a strong desire for certain characters, but was hell to those who do. Part of it is their pleasure with other people being miserable (as evident by T-Donor wallowing in my pity), and part of it is the wackiness/unexpectedness of the character. I'm to the point where I understand I need to be more open-minded about it, but I can't force myself to like it. As I said earlier, the character does look good (and I will enjoy playing it), but it was still a horrid choice; I guess that's my opinion, but one of these things is not like the other: :ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultpiranha:

Last edited:

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Let me preface this by saying Mario is my favorite franchise and I hate the surplus of anime sword wielders being included in the game, but I've kind gotten over this old post that people keep digging up... it's controversial (whatever), but the character was a slap in the face (or more like a ton of bricks to the head) to people who actually desire characters and go into Directs expecting characters that aren't generic enemies. This was so bad that it just stopped making me care; 10x worse than Corrin/Bayo. Idk how they could outdo this, but they will.

The plant is a god to people who watch the Directs but don't have a strong desire for certain characters, but was hell to those who do. Part of it is their pleasure with other people being miserable (as evident by T-Donor wallowing in my pity), and part of it is the wackiness/unexpectedness of the character. I'm to the point where I understand I need to be more open-minded about it, but I can't force myself to like it. As I said earlier, the character does look good (and I will enjoy playing it), but it was still a horrid choice; I guess that's my opinion, but one of these things is not like the other: :ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultpiranha:
And it’s a horrid choice why? Kirby is one of a generic species. Yoshi is one of a generic species. All of the Pokémon are one of a generic species. Are they any less deserving? Piranha Plant has all of the reasons detailed above going for it. Why is it less “deserving” than Isaac? Why is it less deserving? Fan favoritism can’t be it. Unless you think that every newcomer is a worse choice than Shrek. Move set can’t be it since it has 30 years of games to go off off. Relevance sure as hell can’t be it. The plant has way more recognizability than any one of the most anticipated newcomers bar Steve, Shrek, or Goku. So what is it? What excuse is there to hate on the Plant? And the sad thing is, if some random little known, Japan exclusive game character whose last title was when Tupac was alive got in, it would be hailed as a masterpiece. Honestly, there’s no good reason to say that the plant was a bad choice for Smash. If you want to come over and provide valid reasons, be my guest.

Dan

Smash Lord
And it’s a horrid choice why? Kirby is one of a generic species. Yoshi is one of a generic species. All of the Pokémon are one of a generic species. Are they any less deserving? Piranha Plant has all of the reasons detailed above going for it.
Because those were the heroes of their games; plants are just generic enemies that get squandered time again and again. Even Geno is more important to the Mario universe than the precious plant. He saved the frickin' world, and was not a minor obstacle. I don't get excited over minor, stationary obstacles being characters.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Because those were the heroes of their games; plants are just generic enemies that get squandered time again and again. Even Geno is more important to the Mario universe than the precious plant. He saved the frickin' world, and was not a minor obstacle. I don't get excited over minor, stationary obstacles being characters.
. Squandered means wasted in a foolish manner. Therefore they should get into Smash based on that. Plus, many main characters from Mario have gotten in already. PP is a verse staple, with moveset potential. Y’all were fine with a god dang slime getting in. And a minor staple character in the biggest gaming franchise ever is far more important than a one off protagonist in a little known series.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
So people that wanted specific characters that didn't get in were hurt by the plant - perhaps people that grew up playing a large amount of Mario games in their childhood are excited to play as the plant? In some of the spin off games, where available, I almost exclusively played as characters like Wiggler, Shy Guy, Boo, etc. My favorite characters from the Mario franchise are the generic baddies. Piranha plants were a nuisance and I remember dying to them many many times over the course of my gaming history. Having the opportunity to play as something that has been ever-present in Mario games since day 1 is super hype for me. A significant number of the characters that people are upset about not appearing will in all likelihood never show up in a video game ever again. PP will, though, that's for sure. And it will continue to do so until Nintendo stops making games.

Hopefully Banjo gets added at some point but I could not care less about characters like Geno. The Plant's time is now and I am so very glad that they made the decision that they did. The only downside is that PP's inclusion means I won't get to see Shy Guy in Ultimate, but maybe next time.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I think they should have at least made Piranha Plant playable in the Mario spin-offs before promoting him in Nintendo's all-star crossover. Sure, Ridley wasn't playable but he was heavily requested and Metroid doesn't have nearly as much representation as Mario. Most people thought Piranha Plant would have worked better as an Assist Trophy.

Dan

Smash Lord
PP is a verse staple, with moveset potential.
Piranha Plant was the character with the least moveset potential ever, even less than Goomba; all they did was prove they can make any character work.

A significant number of the characters that people are upset about not appearing will in all likelihood never show up in a video game ever again. PP will, though, that's for sure. And it will continue to do so until Nintendo stops making games.
Ness, Falcon, Ice Climbers, G&W, ROB, DHD and even K. Rool are all "dead" characters.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Piranha Plant was the character with the least moveset potential ever, even less than Goomba; all they did was prove they can make any character work.

SAF: So I’m just going to assume you don’t play that much Mario. Or if you do, you don’t pay attention. I mean it’s understandable that you don’t honestly pay attention to PP. But if you count Bosses, there are 42 types of Piranha Plants. No moveset potential my ***. I’m not sure if you knew you were grasping at straws, but you are. If you want to make a claim, please be informed.

Ness, Falcon, Ice Climbers, G&W, ROB, DHD and even K. Rool are all "dead" characters.
Yep. However disregarding K. Rool, none of the aforementioned characters were anywhere near highly requested. And he filled the criteria of heavy, goofy, goofy looking, and still was/is considered the main villain of a top 5 Nintendo IP that birthed an even more successful spinoff. And his kit was totally unrepresented in smash. Also his fanbase was very mature when it came to his inclusion. They sent Sakurai a heartfelt thank you letter which was signed in the thousands. This had so much traction, that Nintendo themselves responded and sent gifts. They’re a huge exception.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Ness and Falcon were not dead when they first joined and they're franchise staples at this point so I don't see the comparison. Ice Climbers originally filled the role of retro fighter which became a theme in every Smash game since. G&W was a joke character representing a whole console family, R.O.B. is a piece of Nintendo history and also a joke character, Duck Hunt is a retro fighter, and K Rool is one of the most significant and popular Nintendo console villains of all time. Your comparisons are wholly moot. Geno & Co are irrelevant to gaming history and whether or not some of the characters currently on the roster also fill that category has no effect whatsoever on whether the ones that missed out should have gotten in over a character like piranha plant imo

Dan

Smash Lord
Yep. However disregarding K. Rool, none of the aforementioned characters were anywhere near highly requested. And he filled the criteria of heavy, goofy, goofy looking, and still was/is considered the main villain of a top 5 Nintendo IP that birthed an even more successful spinoff. And his kit was totally unrepresented in smash. Also his fanbase was very mature when it came to his inclusion. They sent Sakurai a heartfelt thank you letter which was signed in the thousands. This had so much traction, that Nintendo themselves responded and sent gifts. They’re a huge exception.
Are you saying all the other fanbases are rude or something, lol?

Dan

Smash Lord
Ness and Falcon were not dead when they first joined and they're franchise staples at this point so I don't see the comparison.
But they still continue to be included... characters can be cut, you know.

G&W was a joke character representing a whole console family, R.O.B. is a piece of Nintendo history and also a joke character, Duck Hunt is a retro fighter, and K Rool is one of the most significant and popular Nintendo console villains of all time. Your comparisons are wholly moot.
You were the same people saying K. Rool was trash before he was included, so please keep adjusting your narrative based on what Sakurai does.

I'm not even gonna respond to that Geno comment cause that triggers the f out of me.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868

You were the same people saying K. Rool was trash before he was included, so please keep adjusting your narrative based on what Sakurai does.

I'm not even gonna respond to that Geno comment cause that triggers the f out of me.
Sure they can be cut, and some were. But everyone is here. What's your point?

I never said K Rool was trash? He's the most hype newcomer and my most wanted since Melee lmao I've said he's not great as a fighter in terms of in game tho.

Stay triggered.

Dan

Smash Lord
Sure they can be cut, and some were. But everyone is here. What's your point?
The point is "Geno is irrelevant", but there are still irrevelant characters on the roster, and that can be fixed.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Are you saying all the other fanbases are rude or something, lol?
While some are, I never did claim this. Many fan bases are very classy with their support of characters. Also I’ve noticed that you’re cherry picking the sections of my posts to respond to. Do you agree with the points you left out? No hostility, just a question.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
The point is "Geno is irrelevant", but there are still irrevelant characters on the roster, and that can be fixed.
I am not bothered by their inclusion, I'm also not bothered by Genos theoretical inclusion, but I would have a hard time getting worked up over a character nobody cares about anymore. If young link didn't come back for ultimate, I wouldn't have cared then, either. But Falcon and Ness are staples and I see no reason to remove them regardless of their relevance outside Smash. Geno doesn't get that privilege because he's neither relevant to gaming nor is he relevant to Smash Bros, whereas those other characters are at this point.

Dan

Smash Lord
I am not bothered by their inclusion, I'm also not bothered by Genos theoretical inclusion, but I would have a hard time getting worked up over a character nobody cares about anymore.
I care about him... a lot of people care about him. The loudest mouth in Smash cares about him (it's his #1 character).

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411

Ness and Falcon are not irrelevant because they’re original Smash characters. Same with characters like Fox, Wolf, and Falco. Yeah they all have their own games but first and foremost they are viewed as Smash characters. That’s their most significant legacy. The thing is that makes characters like Ness and Captain Falcon some of the most iconic and important characters in gaming is because they are part of the original Smash cast. That’s something special that can never be taken away

Even if they were to add Geno to Smash now he wouldn’t have half the gaming legacy that Ness and Falcon have because being part of the original 12 cast of Smash characters is one of the most important and iconic legacies in gaming history

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Ness and Falcon are not irrelevant because they’re original Smash characters. Same with characters like Fox, Wolf, and Falco. Yeah they all have their own games but first and foremost they are viewed as Smash characters. That’s their most significant legacy. The thing is that makes characters like Ness and Captain Falcon some of the most iconic and important characters in gaming is because they are part of the original Smash cast. That’s something special that can never be taken away

Even if they were to add Geno to Smash now he wouldn’t have half the gaming legacy that Ness and Falcon have because being part of the original 12 cast of Smash characters is one of the most important and iconic legacies in gaming history
So put any character in Smash and they'll become relevant. ;)

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Looking forward to play as it when I finally finish converting my replays, but as far as the character goes, judging from their trailer, there's nothing exciting, really. Lots of moves aren't original, and the Plant getting in is a kind of boring idea. Obviously someone more loved and requested would be nice, but there are even other goons that I've imagined as Smash fighters in the past, particularly the Hammer Bro, but even the Goomba would be pretty funny. I've never imagined Piranha Plant getting in, mainly because they're one of the more boring characters Mario has to offer. However, I'm impressed that they managed to pull off giving Piranha Plant a personality. I don't think its moveset is too interesting from what I've seen, as I said, too many unoriginal moves (Charizard, King K. Rool, Dr. Mario), but I've heard cool things about its projectile, so I'm hoping at the very least it's fun.

I'll likely be able to play it in the next fifteen hours.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman

I think there are characters that could easily be given a legacy by being made into mainstays. Ridley, King K. Rool and Wii Fit Trainer could all become recognizable "Smash" characters, and I honestly think that if it were possible to get the rights to add Geno, he'd become a legendary Smash character too, assuming he returned in the sequels. Even people who don't know of the character, and how enjoyable his dialogue is in Super Mario RPG is, will probably find him cool in Smash, simply because he's really ****in' cool. Just like Captain Falcon, Fox and Falco.
Wolf and Lucas are proof that being part of the original twelve isn't a necessity to gain a legacy in Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think they should have at least made Piranha Plant playable in the Mario spin-offs before promoting him in Nintendo's all-star crossover. Sure, Ridley wasn't playable but he was heavily requested and Metroid doesn't have nearly as much representation as Mario. Most people thought Piranha Plant would have worked better as an Assist Trophy.
They were looking for a character that can be an interesting fighter, not an important character. Smash isn't just a gaming icons museum, it's also a game, there is nothing more natural than adding weird characters occasionally for providing interesting character concepts.

"Work better as AT" just means "I don't want this character to be playable instead of my wanted character", it's not an argument.

Also there's no reason for Metroid to have as much fighters as Mario.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant is just the G&W/ ROB/ Duck Hunt of this game. If Plant didn't get in the only thing that would be different is that people would be complaining about how Battletoads (for example) got in over Geno, Waluigi, Banjo Kazooie, etc.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant is just the G&W/ ROB/ Duck Hunt of this game. If Plant didn't get in the only thing that would be different is that people would be complaining about how Battletoads (for example) got in over Geno, Waluigi, Banjo Kazooie, etc.
But Battletoads didn't get in.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
A character that's actually on the roster like Cloud would make a better example than a character we don't know would ever make it into Smash. Otherwise, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie and Waluigi can "hypothically" get in over Battletoads.

Top Bottom