• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So now that the Mario series is up to 5 again...

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Rosalina & Luma was a pleasant surprise to fill in that ever-so speculated 5th Mario rep slot. I expect that we'll be seeing no more Mario characters for this game because the cast for that series feels rounded off.

For those of you who don't remember, Melee had Mario up to 5 character slot with the inclusion of Dr. Mario. Guess we got something more... fulfilling this time.

This may not be so much related to Rosalina as a character, but do you think or want any other franchises to break their character cap to 5? Have any preferred sorts for which characters get in?

Personally, with Mario being as big of a franchise as it is, it makes the bump seem justified. Realistically, I can see the Legend of Zelda and/or Pokemon doing this. I mean, 4 characters is enough to kick some room for, huh? They should be careful about available space though. As for Fire Emblem, as much as I would love to have many of its characters covered, it is still a relatively obscure franchise to the rest of the world and they're yet to make as much of an impact as the former three.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
The only franchises worthy of 4+ would have to be mario, zelda, or pokemon. Mario has it already, pokemon had it in brawl so it should get that again (counting pkmn trainer as 3) so that leaves zelda.

I can see ghirahim being a fifth, I WISH skull kid could be in. Other than that there's not much else, MAYBE Impa, hopefully not toon zelda.

As much as I liked playing fire emblem: sacred stones and love using marth, it's just not big enough for any more reps than 2

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
If we include transformations, Zelda had 5 and Pokemon had 6. I see things as they are in the character select screen.

I can see Fire Emblem at least getting a 3rd rep this time around.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Aw man, I totally forgot about shiek. I guess they all have a lot already. Remember though, they need to make some cuts to make the roster work so we'll see why happens.

OhSnap

Smash Cadet
i think Pokemon is most likely. it really is Nintendo's 2nd biggest franchise, despite how awesome LoZ is. as for FE, i'd prefer it if they kept Marth and a current representative of FE, that formula seems to work with just 2 FE characters.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I think Pokémon is deserving of five character slots. Zelda is too, but none of the candidates stand out.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
What they really need to do is have more random people from little known games. Takamaru is a good example. Donkey kong should get one more (king k rool probably) and Metroid really does deserve Ridley.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I wouldn't be surprised with a post-release reveal of Toad as a secret 6th Mario rep, maybe as a semi clone of Mario.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina & Luma was a pleasant surprise to fill in that ever-so speculated 5th Mario rep slot. I expect that we'll be seeing no more Mario characters for this game because the cast for that series feels rounded off.

For those of you who don't remember, Melee had Mario up to 5 character slot with the inclusion of Dr. Mario. Guess we got something more... fulfilling this time.

This may not be so much related to Rosalina as a character, but do you think or want any other franchises to break their character cap to 5? Have any preferred sorts for which characters get in?

Personally, with Mario being as big of a franchise as it is, it makes the bump seem justified. Realistically, I can see the Legend of Zelda and/or Pokemon doing this. I mean, 4 characters is enough to kick some room for, huh? They should be careful about available space though. As for Fire Emblem, as much as I would love to have many of its characters covered, it is still a relatively obscure franchise to the rest of the world and they're yet to make as much of an impact as the former three.
No... Melee had 7 mario characters and Brawl had exactly the same 7 + 1 derivation of Mario character game and if we continue to think about relations of characters we see that a total of 12 of Brawl characters are related to mario somehow.
Rosalina just proof that they dont care to add even more characters of already well represented franchises.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They are part of Mario series anyway and i can proof it.
Perhaps, but Donkey Kong and Yoshi have their own franchises, hence why Donkey Kong has the DK symbol, while Yoshi has the Yoshi Egg symbol. Primary Mario characters use the Mushroom symbol, which is not what Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, and Wario have, making them secondary Mario characters.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario, while being under the Mario umbrella, represents their own franchises and belongs soley to them. While connected to the Mario franchise, they are are considered to be apart of their own franchises as well as stages, items, music, and such.

So no, Mario did not have more than 5 reps.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I think Pokémon is deserving of five character slots. Zelda is too, but none of the candidates stand out.
Rosalina didn't really stand out either, but it's clear to see why she was chosen after the fact. Impa/Mewtwo for the 5th Zelda/Poké slots.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I can see Pokemon and maybe Zelda having that more than 4 characters like Mario. The only other series that are popular enough to warrant that don't have many characters to pull from despite their popularity. Metroid only has like 2 other characters to use, and Kirby has like 1 more and that's it.

In fact, I can see Pokemon having 6 characters in Smash one day. Not sure if it'd be Smash 4, but it could happen in a future title. Not sure if Mario is going to have another rep or not, it's possible. But I think most are content with what we have now. I'd guess Bowser Jr or Paper Mario would be those choices, unless Sakurai goes back to Doctor Mario.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario, while being under the Mario umbrella, represents their own franchises and belongs soley to them. While connected to the Mario franchise, they are are considered to be apart of their own franchises as well as stages, items, music, and such.

So no, Mario did not have more than 5 reps.
Im bored of the argument "they represent their own franchises". Based on this Tingle could be added in SSB as an independent character, with a rupee as a symbol instead of the triforce and then we would have exactly the same argument.
"He is representing his own franchise, he is not a Zelda character".

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
But those tingle games are zelda spin-offs. They're still very slightly related to zelda. Games like Warioware and Donkey Kong Country have nothing in common with mario, so they are their own franchises. They're set in their own worlds and are totally unique, borrowing nothing from Mario.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Mario and Pokémon should get 5.
Zelda and DK should get 4 (not including Sheik that is).
At least that's my opinion.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
But those tingle games are zelda spin-offs. They're still very slightly related to zelda. Games like Warioware and Donkey Kong Country have nothing in common with mario, so they are their own franchises. They're set in their own worlds and are totally unique, borrowing nothing from Mario.
Yeah, now lets go to facts, is a fact that Yoshi, Wario and Donkey Kong appeared more times in Mario games, than in games of their own franchises (and that is never going to change). And what is even more funnier, in some of their games Mario still appearing in. They are Mario-Dk universe characters and this my last message. I dont understand why people dont want to see the true, like if being a Mario character is something negative. Im sure that neither of those characters would have the same popularity if they started as separated game.

OhSnap

Smash Cadet
i truly don't think that Zelda needs any more. the Triforce is all we need(Link, Zelda, Ganondorf) and Toon Link is just nice to have. while Pokemon doesn't really need more than 4(or 6, if you're getting technical) i think Pikachu, Jigglypuff, PT, and Mewtwo is the perfect representation. yes, they're all Gen I, but they represent the core of Pokemon. altho, it's most likely Pokemon will go to 5, adding Mewtwo to the Brawl roster of Pokemon. i don't see any other Pokemon that's popular enough for them to add, really.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think Mario needs more than 5.
Call me a dreamer, but I want 8.
Mario/Doc, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Rosalina, Toad, Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario, and Waluigi.
I don't think that's asking too much since Pokemon will have 7 characters if Mewtwo Returns (pun) and no one is cut.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think Pokemon should stay with 4, and for god's sake give Metroid at least 1 newcomer!
Pokemon's not at 4. It's at 6. You don't play as Pokemon Trainer; you play as Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard separately.
But I agree 100% that Metroid needs more reps. Unfortunately, the only other important character is Ridley. But that puts us at 3 Metroid charcters.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
With Mario, you have a boatload of characters, but in terms of being playable in Smash it was just between Rosalina, Bowser Jr. and Toad. Pokemon is a much different story, as there are so many viable characters, but space is very limited. This time, I think that series can easily get 5 slots. Zelda can too, but I swear if the fifth rep is Toon Zelda I'll be really mad because then that entire franchise will be composed of clone characters.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Hey, at least shiek isn't a clone, and ganondorf plays much differently than captain falcon.

Maybe kraid could be a metroid character? But if they do that they need Ridley first.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, now lets go to facts, is a fact that Yoshi, Wario and Donkey Kong appeared more times in Mario games, than in games of their own franchises (and that is never going to change). And what is even more funnier, in some of their games Mario still appearing in. They are Mario-Dk universe characters and this my last message. I dont understand why people dont want to see the true, like if being a Mario character is something negative. Im sure that neither of those characters would have the same popularity if they started as separated game.
Maybe you aren't seeing the true...:troll:

Yoshi, the DK crew, and Wario are all treated as individual franchises. While connected to the wide Mario universe, they belong soley to their own franchise. Tingle, while a spin-off, has a very small and rather obscure franchise. That is why his AT status is listed under Zelda. It is plausible that, if he was playable, he would be given his own franchise but he's not playable thus comparing his situation to that of Yoshi's is a poor comparison.

If Sakurai intended those character to be included in the Mario universe, he would have. But he decided to have then rep their own franchises.

Tl; dr: Yes, Yoshi, DK, and Wario ARE considered apart of the Mario universe but, within Smash, they are treated as their own franchises and does not affect series representation. Mario has 5 reps and does not include Spin-Off series.

You threw down the towel pretty quickly. I can argue about this for days.

Edit: In addition, out of those characters listed, Yoshi is the only true character with a deep connection with the Mario universe. I'd argue that both Wario and the DK crew are no longer apart of the Mario collective but have achieved mascot status of their franchises.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As this indicates there is no issue in giving a franchise 5 character slots this could potentially mean a Zelda newcomer is more likely, as well as boosting the chances of all Pokemon characters from Brawl returning, in addition to Mewtwo making a comeback.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Pokemon has a chance to have more reps such as popular legendaries (Genesect, Meloetta, Darkrai, Deoxys etc), the starters of each gen, and then the pseudo-legendaries, + Meowth to an extent with his popularity in the anime. I could actually see them have 7-9 (implying Pokemon Trainer returns), but I know in reality it might not happen since Sakurai does want to make it more diverse.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Hey, pokemon trainer is a great way of making it diverse. They could change his pokemon to legendaries or other starters or even random pokemon. Also, Mewtwo for ssb4.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I could see Mario get atleast 1 more at MOST. But that is about it. And I would think it would go to a character that could represent the "Spin-off" Mario games, I think you all know who I mean ~

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I do feel Mario isn't out of the running yet for a 6th character. Other than that, Zelda and Pokemon could get to 5. Donkey Kong may get there one day but certainly not in this Smash.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I was really hoping that they'd keep the 4 character limit, especially since we're supposed to be getting a limited roster. I was more than a little disappointed when a fifth Mario rep was announced.

I really don't want this to become the Sega Superstars series; over half the cast is from Sonic and the rest are one or two characters from series(s?) that never get games anymore. With Mario getting a fifth, you can almost bet that Zelda and Pokemon are going to get fifths, too (which means that God-awful Ghirahim will probably be getting a spot), which means even LESS space for franchises like Metroid, Wario, and Fire Emblem to grow.

The little guy is important. Mario already has plenty of weight to his name, but Samus can't say the same thing. I think instead of expanding larger franchises further, we should be getting more characters for smaller franchises, and new characters for unrepresented ones (Villager is a good example, as is WFT; Isaac would be another one). I have to say, I'm not going to be happy if Mario gets a sixth character. Much as I love the way this game looks and seems to play, I have to say the roster isn't interesting me in the least.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I think Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda should have 5 slots; they're the most iconic of Nintendo's history. DK could go with 4, FE and Starfox can have 3, and Metroid can have 2.5--the .5 would be ZSS and the other 2 could be Samus and Ridley.

And since Sakurai's making the game, he can decide how many slots Kirby gets.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Well the way I see it:

Mario: 5 reps
Zelda: 5 reps (third most successful franchise)
Pokemon: 5 reps (no brainer, second most successful franchise)
DK: 4 reps (still one of the biggest franchises of all time)
FE: 4 reps (it has 13 games, I feel 4 is justified).
Metroid: 3 reps (counting Samus and Zamus as two)
Starfox: 3 reps
Kirby: 3 reps
Mother: 2 reps
F-Zero: 2 reps
KI: 2 reps
Everything else: 1 rep

I feel like this is the ideal number for each series. All of the original series minus Yoshi should have at least 2 reps (that's why F-Zero could use another, maybe Black Shadow), DK is deserving of both Dixie and K. Rool, FE would be sweet with Marth, Ike, Chrom, and Roy, Starfox and Kirby should stay the same, Pokemon should bring back Mewtwo, Metroid should have Ridley, and KI should get Palutena.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I want them to keep all 4 pokemon from brawl and then add mewtwo and they should get rid of sheik and give her moveste to impa letting her be her own character so zelda can actually be decent and deny it all you want sheik is a hindrance to zelda cause they had to maker her the opposite of sheik (Slow and Powerful)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Lucario needs to go. He's two Gens old, from a Gen that's generally considered the worst of the worst, and really has no relevance beyond getting a Mega Evolution. Mewtwo has gotten a movie, tons of support from the Pokemon Company (he's practically the "cool" face of Pokemon these days, with Pikachu being the "cute" face), TWO Mega Evolutions, and is generally considered the most powerful Pokemon.

In fact, he is the most powerful Pokemon. Mega Mewtwo X and Y have the highest base stat total of all Pokemon.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pokémon being brought up to 5 would be great, Brawl Pokémon + Mewtwo is my ideal Pokémon cast. Other than that I don't think Zelda should have another one, as the last couple of characters aren't all that important for the sake of representing Zelda. Heck, I'd argue we only need the triforce trio, but I'm still happy to see Toon Link.

Other franchises need to be beefed up instead, like Metroid and especially Donkey Kong. We also need new franchises to join the fray too, like Punch Out. More focus to this, less focus on the big guns.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Lucario needs to go. He's two Gens old, from a Gen that's generally considered the worst of the worst, and really has no relevance beyond getting a Mega Evolution. Mewtwo has gotten a movie, tons of support from the Pokemon Company (he's practically the "cool" face of Pokemon these days, with Pikachu being the "cute" face), TWO Mega Evolutions, and is generally considered the most powerful Pokemon.

In fact, he is the most powerful Pokemon. Mega Mewtwo X and Y have the highest base stat total of all Pokemon.
I think we can keep both lucario is pretty popular and plays a large role in the plot of X and Y

Top Bottom