• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So is it just my brawl or does the Mario AI kick the crap out of the other AIs?

Flayl

Smash Hero
I'm doing a sort of loser-out competition thingy between level 9 AIs and so far Mario (the 1st one up) has beat them all, and even two-stocked (out of three) some of them.

Does that seem right to your experience? Who do you think is the most capable AI?

Also let's bet on how many people don't read the post and think I'm losing to level 9 Mario.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
Lies! It's also Luigi's!

I've noticed that too when I did a test of my own, though I ended up not finishing. The Mario AI is brutal when matched up to other AIs.

Tenki

Smash Hero
AHA! I thought so.

I did a vs lv 9 Mario as Sonic, and he chose moves that either clanked or outprioritized my own the majority of the time (perfect timing ._.). His spot dodging and punishment game is brutal D:

Though, I did see some nice cape usage for recovery.

Jeez, if the Mario just did things like cape+FLUDD edgeguard as a CPU, it'd be so evil that more people
might be convinced to main him xD

Flayl

Smash Hero
Pikachu won in a close match, but it's really onl because the AI is so very awful at dealing with thunder IMO

TengenToppaDrill

Smash Apprentice
Your mom's house... Calgary Alberta, Canada, Earth
Hmm. The AI Mario might be better then Mario mains. (Simply because there are none.)
Bite your tongue (my friend mains mario and was THIS close to coming through the computer to kill you). And, yes the AI for mario and Luigi are greater than any of the others. I once tried a match between computers with a level nine mario (alone) against a level nine peach and bowser. Mario overcame all the odds and won.

Messiano

Smash Journeyman
AHA! I thought so.

I did a vs lv 9 Mario as Sonic, and he chose moves that either clanked or outprioritized my own the majority of the time (perfect timing ._.). His spot dodging and punishment game is brutal D:

Though, I did see some nice cape usage for recovery.

Jeez, if the Mario just did things like cape+FLUDD edgeguard as a CPU, it'd be so evil that more people
might be convinced to main him xD
thats slightly frightening

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Lies! It's also Luigi's!

I've noticed that too when I did a test of my own, though I ended up not finishing. The Mario AI is brutal when matched up to other AIs.
LMAO.
And yeah hes right. >_>

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
Well, it IS Mario's game.
You say this, yet Mario actually had a subtle role in the Subspace Emissary, at least compared to a good amount of the other characters. Mario hardly had any good scenes, in fact he was a punching bag for quite a few of them! I suppose they just wanted to focus on other characters to have the spotlight for a change.
I found King Dedede and Ness were very influential to the story as far as their heroics went. There's plenty of other ones too, but I guess I just love those guys and was glad they played such a nice part in the story.

Mind you, I guess one small trade-off was that Mario did get a lot of stages in this game.. And I wouldn't say he lost a character either, since it was really just Mario in a costume. But still, he was no story-hog by any means.

On topic, I really have to agree, Mario has a very impressive AI. I was quite shocked to get blown away by Mario when I shifted the difficulty up a little. Of course, Mario is meant to be an 'everyman' character so many that just makes the AI go supernova-level considering he's not meant to have many weaknesses... and we all know any good AI can cheat it's way into making normal things into great strengths!

iTz_HaVoC

Smash Cadet
when i first read this, i didn't believe it. after i played him, it was a tight match. he won by caping my phantasm. it saddened me.:(

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
Mario's Cape edgeguarding is sick.

If you want to destroy a lvl 9 though the secret is not moving. Just stay still and shield and spot dodge. I'm almost finished making my "Zomg lvl 9's r teh tards" video.

But yeah I'd pin Mario as top AI.

???????

Smash Journeyman
The Mario AI seems a lot more precise in its movements than the other AI; in fact I've actually watched Mario AIs just to see how exactly they react to certain obstacles. If you want to learn a bit about Mario, watching a Mario AI isn't a bad choice (AIs won’t teach you much about playing against human opponents but It’ll help you see the potential of some moves and maneuvers).

Marie_54

Smash Ace
Also let's bet on how many people don't read the post and think I'm losing to level 9 Mario.

when i first read this, i didn't believe it. after i played him, it was a tight match. he won by caping my phantasm. it saddened me.:(
I'm not sure if that counts but one only? Wow... I would have said atleast 3 or 4 so i would have lost the bet.:(

LOL Now seriously, i'm gonna go check that right now with a Sonic ai vs Mario ai...

edit- I put 4 minutes Sonic vs. Mario no items in final destination and Sonic won by sudden death... I'd do more testing but i'm just lazy...

Marie_54

Smash Ace
no its not.its snake's game.
Yes Sir, but it is also a Kirby conspiracy, notice how Halberd's songs are almost all great and how the challenge "mode" is the same crappy Kirby Air Ride thing....

Plus i saw that the bubble shields are from a Kirby game....

This is madness!:psycho:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I do leagues with the AIs.

In Melee Ganondorf and Falco dominated the other AIs although I had more trouble with a lvl 9 Pichu then against them because Pichu was so small and hard to hit.

In Brawl, none of them are amazingly dominate. Some of them stink as AIs against other AIs (Sonic, Ganon, ROB). So far I have seen Game & Watch as a tough AI, Mario, Sometimes Snake, and some others.

What is funny is some matches some AIs will really show up and others they just stink. I noticed it is like that in EA Sports games as well were sometimes the AI just seems like it is not trying as hard.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Yes Sir, but it is also a Kirby conspiracy, notice how Halberd's songs are almost all great and how the challenge "mode" is the same crappy Kirby Air Ride thing....

Plus i saw that the bubble shields are from a Kirby game....

This is madness!:psycho:
*Insert sparta joke here*

Many things from Smash have been manipulated from Kirby games. Check Youtube for 'history behind super smash bros melee' vids. Some will be very surprising, (Master Hand's attacks originated from a Kirby game)
The bubble shield is from Kirby Super Star (Kirby's Mirror ability).
Challenges are from a lot of games, not just Kirby's Air Ride, (but the crappy format kind of relates:p)
SSE, we all know it was formated from Kirby Super Star. (we all know)

Mario and Luigi are surprisingly better than standard comp.'s in AI, it's ridiculous!

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Mario AI cant do anything about edgeguarding, its like they dont even react to it.
But he has very good approaches with shorthop b, RAR bair, combos between aerials, and punishes rolls with fsmash.

Luigi AI has also crazy aerial comboing.

A small bit of edgeguarding kills all Brawl AI.

TheMoonman

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna have to try the Mario AI, but just last night, fooling around with the CPUs, I got two-stocked by a Luigi.

I was like....BAAAAAAWWW.

It was only on level eight too. God forbid what would happen if I did nine...

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
This will haunt my nightmares from now on.

Many things from Smash have been manipulated from Kirby games. Check Youtube for 'history behind super smash bros melee' vids. Some will be very surprising, (Master Hand's attacks originated from a Kirby game)
The bubble shield is from Kirby Super Star (Kirby's Mirror ability).
Challenges are from a lot of games, not just Kirby's Air Ride, (but the crappy format kind of relates:p)
SSE, we all know it was formated from Kirby Super Star. (we all know)
Well yeah, it is Sakurai's game, so he's bound to toss in a bunch of Kirby stuff. Let's not forget the Warp Star, Superspicy Curry, and the Dragoon, among others.

smallmalf

Smash Journeyman
omg i did 2 tournaments all with lvl 9's and ganandorf won both-mario got his *** kicked by marth

WTF!!!???!!!???!!!???

ctk495

Smash Cadet
Well I played the mario today and he beat my marth(I started playing with him today)and I got angry so I beat him up with my main Pit.

Ramgigon

Smash Journeyman
This is where I put whether or not I like Brawl
Well, I own Mario every time I play him...
But I actually lose to Kirby and Falco sometimes.

Kirby times all his attacks - especially that Forward Air and Hammer - perfectly, and Falco is very dodgy, and is absolutely perfect with his Reflector timing.

Oh, I just remembered - I pitted a few CPUs against each other, one of which was Mario vs. Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong tore him apart, almost 2-stocked him in a 3-stock match.

Top Bottom