• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So is Captain Falcon bad in this game?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Last big thing I heard mentioned about him was the atrocious landing lag on the knee smash.

What's happened since then? Has he been buffed from Brawl? Or does he still stink? I hope he was buffed.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Game mechanics favor Falcon a lot more this game, giving you legitimate followups for trapping people's landings.

I don't know all the specifics. I know Raptor Boost is REAL GOOD in this game. Hitbox is much better, clanks with or outprioritizes more moves on the ground, not to mention the move kills around 100-115% pretty easy when fresh.

I could just be seeing things but iirc, Falcon's tilts are a bit safer in this game too. Dunno if N-air hitbox got any buffs to make it closer to melee. Either way, Falcon I'd say is viable. You have the tools to get around most zoning and footsies if you're patient, and once you get a throw or DA in, you're instantly a threat when any time you read an airdodge landing, you get a free hit of your choice effectively if you position right.

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
he still wont be high tier though. probably something around low middle tier.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I definitely think he's above mid tier, I've been watching him a lot on streams (mostly on ZeRo's) and he has a ton of great tools, not to mention the game mechanics just generally favor him a lot. I think he looks like he's going to be high tier (note: not top tier), but probably still in the lower end of the high tier. He's no doubt competitively viable though.

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
The game hasn't come out yet in worldwide, so it's too early to make assumptions. He looks better tbh, and a mix of 64/Melee/Brawl.

allshort17

Smash Ace
I don't know why people now are complaining about knee lag. It was only short in Melee because of L-canceling. A normal knee, in any Smash, has always been laggy. At least the sweetspot hitbox appears to be larger than Brawl Falcon.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
I definitely think he's above mid tier, I've been watching him a lot on streams (mostly on ZeRo's) and he has a ton of great tools, not to mention the game mechanics just generally favor him a lot. I think he looks like he's going to be high tier (note: not top tier), but probably still in the lower end of the high tier. He's no doubt competitively viable though.
It's kind of sad to say, but I've heard this exact same thing in competitive viability threads for a lot of character boards I've checked....not everyone can be mid-high tier....but I do agree falcon does look very good this time around.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
It's kind of sad to say, but I've heard this exact same thing in competitive viability threads for a lot of character boards I've checked....not everyone can be mid-high tier....but I do agree falcon does look very good this time around.
not necessarily. For all we know, the tiers will be drastically close together, morphing into two vague tiers; mid tier and high tier.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
Falcon bad in this game?! Not even close. Falcon has been one of the most buffed up character's from Brawl. His Knee has more of a hitbox then in brawl almost being as big as his melee hitbox, up tilt can now spike, Raptor boost is now a kill move, down throw can give a guaranteed knee for an early kill as well as a combo setup, the game mechanics in general help Falcon, Combo/juggle game has been buffed from brawl, has Crazy mixups, One of the most aggressive character's in game, three of his aerials(nair/bair/uair) are completely lagless and can be used for good approaches, and for the first time Falcon Punch is now a viable move as it can now bait air dodges do to how laggy they are in this game. Whoever said Falcons bad in smash 4 is just completely wrong and has no idea what their talking about.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
I have the game, and he feels great compared to his brawl version. It was a very good surprise after what I heard from zipzo and the demo. He will be used competitively, by at least a fair amount of people. The only nerf is after you hit a side b in the air that extra jump isn't as good as it used to be, but thats a small price to pay to have him be as good as he is.

Khao

Smash Lord
I still don't see how the knee having atrocious lag is such a bad thing.

Were people expecting it to combo into other moves or something? It's always been a finisher, not a setup for other attacks. The only reason the ridiculous lag would ever affect you is either because you missed, or just used it way earlier than you should have.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Compared to Brawl, :4falcon: really received a major buff. His knee is buffed and the landing lag isn't as bad as people claim (granted, it shouldn't be spammed). His tilts are great for comboing.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
My only complaint about Falcon is the long lag on his Dair.

Last edited:

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Were people expecting it to combo into other moves or something?
Yes, into another knee.

I don't really see people mentioning how much worse his up+b recovery is now. Someone had the bright idea to give it a nearly vertical trajectory.

Last edited:

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Falcon is pretty good in this game. Although he feels a little more sluggish, he still has plenty of power. His Up B is good for more of a vertical recovery, but it's still great.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
He is anything but bad. I would actually say he's easily in the upper 4th of characters. Primarily because he has reliable KO moves and can reliably combo into those KO moves. Dthrow --> knee is a registered, true combo in the game at the 65-80 percent range on almost all of the characters, and it is nearly a guaranteed blastzone too. And even if it fails to BZ he's got a phenomenal edge game with bair. He has great mixups on the ground which he didn't have before and his new dash grab can be very hard to deal with. I've been playing him solidly since I got the game, and I've done about 120 matches in 1 on 1 with him and won 91 percent of them. I know it doesn't really mean much but I swear to you that part of the reason I'm having such success with him is because he's a really solid character.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
He is anything but bad. I would actually say he's easily in the upper 4th of characters. Primarily because he has reliable KO moves and can reliably combo into those KO moves. Dthrow --> knee is a registered, true combo in the game at the 65-80 percent range on almost all of the characters, and it is nearly a guaranteed blastzone too. And even if it fails to BZ he's got a phenomenal edge game with bair. He has great mixups on the ground which he didn't have before and his new dash grab can be very hard to deal with. I've been playing him solidly since I got the game, and I've done about 120 matches in 1 on 1 with him and won 91 percent of them. I know it doesn't really mean much but I swear to you that part of the reason I'm having such success with him is because he's a really solid character.
I can't grab anything with him :/ that was the one thing out of everything I wanted buffed, honestly. Standing grab, I mean.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I can't grab anything with him :/ that was the one thing out of everything I wanted buffed, honestly. Standing grab, I mean.
I have found that to be an issue too. His standing grab is very lackluster. But his dash grab more than makes up for it imo. When they're close enough that I can't dash grab them, I generally will rely on other moves to push them away or start a combo. Dash attack is a LOT better in this game, you can easily follow up with uairs or nairs. His dash grab is one of his best approaches, you just gotta bait them into making mistakes, which isn't hard with Falcon's fast dash.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think my only problem with Falcon upon playing him is that the circle pad just doesn't quite cut it for his high-speed play. Just a little less landing lag on D-Air would have worked wonders too.

Still, Captain Falcon is amazing and probably my best character at the moment, he's not as tiring to play as his Melee and PM counterpart (as in you need to put a ton of work into playing him properly in those games), and he's far from as bad as he was in Brawl. Definitely my favorite incarnation of the Captain yet.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I think my only problem with Falcon upon playing him is that the circle pad just doesn't quite cut it for his high-speed play. Just a little less landing lag on D-Air would have worked wonders too.

Still, Captain Falcon is amazing and probably my best character at the moment, he's not as tiring to play as his Melee and PM counterpart (as in you need to put a ton of work into playing him properly in those games), and he's far from as bad as he was in Brawl. Definitely my favorite incarnation of the Captain yet.
lol love your nnid. :D

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I haven't tried playing as him myself to find out exactly. I might consider it later when I start the game again.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
He's better than Brawl but let's not get hasty and say he is performing any miracles. Some are saying Falcon Punch is viable... lol. I won't go that far.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
He feels pretty much the same as in Brawl to me. Didn't see anything different from his movesets except his Raptor Boost, which did receive a major buff.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
He feels great. DSmash, Uair and Dair got nerfed, but the knee, bair, his dash grab, raptor boost, his general hitboxes and priority, Usmash, and his combo ability are all buffed.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
Uair got nerfed?
Feels pretty much the same as Brawl?

You guys are nuts. Falcon is really good now. His dash attack basically guarantees a Uair/Nair/Fair follow up - same with Dthrow.
His Uair comes out ridiculously fast and it beats a lot of aerials from what I've seen (and experienced). His dash grab and raptor boost are so damn good now, too, and getting either of those to connect is really satisfying. The landing lag on Dair is unfortunate, but he'd have TOO much if it auto-cancelled, imo. Overall, he's not Melee Falcon, but the Captain is DEFINITELY a viable threat.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Falcon is great. He will only get better when the Wii U version is out.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Landing falcon punch feels like slapping an opponent with a wet fish sometimes. Other than that he feels much better than Brawl's iteration.

Top Bottom