• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I guess ICs are "S Tier" now :) / :( ?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
If I really made a guide to ICs in my mind, nobody would read it because it would be boring as hell lol

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Fluff it up a tad.
Throw in colors, collapsers, pics, and jokes.
Say stuff like "if mr. Game and watch gives you advice, believe the opposite."
give people some lololols.

lain

Smash Master
I guess we can all agree Lux is the most knowledgable IC.
Even more than lain and hylian IMO.

So i propose: lux should make a new guide.
I disagree with statement. Sure, my word may be perceived as biased if I say I think I am the most knowledgeable, but what the **** more do you want lol?

I busted my *** playing this character since like the beginning, discovering a ton of ****, and revealing IN VERY FINE DETAIL many competitive aspects of playing IC's.

Lux is hands down the most technical IC player, ergo he's by far the biggest compendium of all things mechanic related. However, I seriously don't think anyone will ever know as much about IC's as I do. Just my honest thoughts. I still think it would be an EXCELLENT idea if Lux made a guide, because I think it would honestly be helpful. I'm too lazy to talk about **** anymore, and I've reached a plateau with climbers.

:starman:

DeLux

lain, I'll trade you my Popo for your Nana and make a super ICs :)

I think I've said it before but it goes to saying, I know a lot about mechanics. If I knew as much about winning, I'd be in that millionaire's club.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
lain, I'll trade you my Popo for your Nana and make a super ICs :)

I think I've said it before but it goes to saying, I know a lot about mechanics. If I knew as much about winning, I'd be in that millionaire's club.
You're getting there, I'm very scared for 2012. I don't think I'll be able to beat you again.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
By knowledgable, I meant mechanics.
He knows every detail of them, how to do everything and why this happens when you do that in every move and AT.
I think xD.

But you're the best Icies, no doubt lain.
Even tho you don't play icies anymore.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Havent played competitive brawl for over a year now, i miss it a lot ! Once I get my TV back in my room Ill probably start hitting up more tourneys and such haha. But I used to go hard with ice climbers, I think I lost a lot of my swag though...

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Pffft lain you totally just stole all the things I taught you.

<3.

Seriously though lol remember at HDR when I uthrew-baired atomsk and someone was like "Lains been teaching him!" or something even though I showed you the uthrow-bair at No Koast 2 lol people will always consider you the father of ICs.

I certainly made many contributions as well, such as being the first to figure out how to chaingrab in place, the first to figure out hobbling and post about it(gimr named it and if he did discover it first I certainly figured out how to do it to heavies with bthrow first lol), hylian desynch(lol no one uses this), Uthrow->bair(flashhh), etc etc.

Most of the things I learned from you lain were things I should do in specific situations, like how to make someone airdodge, or what to do in a certain match-up. I feel like those things are more important because they have more to do with winning lol and actually playing the game.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Does anyone above me go all ICs in tourney, even on janky CP's? :D :D :D

Note: Not saying I'm good. Just we are overwhelmingly bad as a character
I do.
Lux, I want critique from you and Hylian! (And lain but he's lazy.)

Edit: Here's me losing to a Peach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKk3UEPYdu0&feature=view_all&list=PL8FB161EA4F73BFE3&index=13

And losing to Player-1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MIIK3qe-y0&feature=view_all&list=PL8FB161EA4F73BFE3&index=5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOBUb2-ahqc&feature=view_all&list=PL8FB161EA4F73BFE3&index=6

There are a couple of me winning in that playlist of videos. If you guys want to see those too, I'll get them for you. I beat an Ike 2-0, an MK main 2-1, and another MK main who decided to go Wolf game 2 2-0.

Roller

Smash Legend
Shoutouts to Saint getting top 5 out of 63 this weekend!

I was watching matches on the playlist, saw the mk 2-1 match. The fair out of tornado was dope. I try that all the time and I rarely get it. Some critique though, you need to work on the basic bthrow->dthrow cg as you screwed that up a few more times than you should have. But also converting from dthrow->dthrow into dthrow->bthrow. Practice that until you cannot get it wrong. Because you screwed it up every time you tried it. Also, when you transfer from popo dthrow to nana grabbing, you can do it with nana just taking a step forward and grabbing, you don't have to do it in a run as you were doing. Makes it faster and easier to accomplish. practice practice practice.

Your desynchs also need more work, I saw you mess those 2 in a row up right at the beginning. You had some nice reads in the match, just practice more to make sure you can capitalize fully on them!

**goes off to watch more vids**

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I'm horrid at desynchs. I only to them from hoppin on the ledge, dropping down and immediatly hitting upB.
Cause it's easy :3
but I usually can only do the same move while desynched.
Usually squall or IB.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I do.
Lux, I want critique from you and Hylian! (And lain but he's lazy.)

Edit: Here's me losing to a Peach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKk3UEPYdu0&feature=view_all&list=PL8FB161EA4F73BFE3&index=13

And losing to Player-1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MIIK3qe-y0&feature=view_all&list=PL8FB161EA4F73BFE3&index=5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOBUb2-ahqc&feature=view_all&list=PL8FB161EA4F73BFE3&index=6

There are a couple of me winning in that playlist of videos. If you guys want to see those too, I'll get them for you. I beat an Ike 2-0, an MK main 2-1, and another MK main who decided to go Wolf game 2 2-0.
Just from watching the Peach match, work on your desynchs, You got off one nana blizzard -> grab and it COMPLETELY SHUT HIS GAME DOWN.

Just go to Training mode and practice desynching for an hour a day so you can get used to it more, find the one you like and master how to do it so you don't have to think to do it. Then work on making it less static so you know how to move, the spacing of it and what you can follow up with. Then find more moves you can use within it, and grow from there.

Also, please stop trying to grab peach while she's is obviously floating above you in her safe zone. The last thing you want to do is spam grabs, you should KNOW you're gonna get the grab because 1. You set up correctly 2. You know your opponent made a huge mistake or 3. Dem hard reads

Just practice using Dtilt/Upangled Ftilt/Jab oos more

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You better do better than I did at the first Brainshock!!!!

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Just from watching the Peach match, work on your desynchs, You got off one nana blizzard -> grab and it COMPLETELY SHUT HIS GAME DOWN.

Just go to Training mode and practice desynching for an hour a day so you can get used to it more, find the one you like and master how to do it so you don't have to think to do it. Then work on making it less static so you know how to move, the spacing of it and what you can follow up with. Then find more moves you can use within it, and grow from there.

Also, please stop trying to grab peach while she's is obviously floating above you in her safe zone. The last thing you want to do is spam grabs, you should KNOW you're gonna get the grab because 1. You set up correctly 2. You know your opponent made a huge mistake or 3. Dem hard reads

Just practice using Dtilt/Upangled Ftilt/Jab oos more
Thank you! I'll definitely keep practicing as much as I can every day. I've tried to learn LD1 and 2 but to no avail, I don't think I understand them right. -.-

Shoutouts to Saint getting top 5 out of 63 this weekend!

I was watching matches on the playlist, saw the mk 2-1 match. The fair out of tornado was dope. I try that all the time and I rarely get it. Some critique though, you need to work on the basic bthrow->dthrow cg as you screwed that up a few more times than you should have. But also converting from dthrow->dthrow into dthrow->bthrow. Practice that until you cannot get it wrong. Because you screwed it up every time you tried it. Also, when you transfer from popo dthrow to nana grabbing, you can do it with nana just taking a step forward and grabbing, you don't have to do it in a run as you were doing. Makes it faster and easier to accomplish. practice practice practice.

Your desynchs also need more work, I saw you mess those 2 in a row up right at the beginning. You had some nice reads in the match, just practice more to make sure you can capitalize fully on them!

**goes off to watch more vids**
I've always found it easiest to buffer a jump out of hitstun to footstool him while DIing up to give yourself two different chances to get above the 'nado. Then as soon as you see one happen, react.

As for the CGs, I really must tell you guys that I don't normally drop them. It was the nerves. For example, the Peach match 2 on SV, that final chaingrab that I dropped REALLY made me mad because I hardly ever mess up b-throw to f-throw. However, I will definitely practice all of the stuff you've said!

Thanks for the shout out. :D

I'm going to another in August. Hopefully I'll keep reppin' the Climbers. :)

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Thank you! I'll definitely keep practicing as much as I can every day. I've tried to learn LD1 and 2 but to no avail, I don't think I understand them right. -.-
Nah, get the basic desynchs first, like Dash Dance or pivot. Don't worry about any others until you get the basic ones down and learn how to work with those.

DeLux

I am so sick right now. worst head cold ever =[ Still an hour away from Iowa City. I hope my health returns otherwise it's gonna be a short day for me

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Take some speed medicine!

Edit: idea for guide.
Lux writes a guide for desynchs and movesets. Frames, hit boxes and all.
Hylian writes one for CG's.
Lain for AT's.
smoom for playing/metagame?
Then put them all together in 1 thread!

B0NK

Smash Lord
Take some speed medicine!

Edit: idea for guide.
Lux writes a guide for desynchs and movesets. Frames, hit boxes and all.
Hylian writes one for CG's.
Lain for AT's.
smoom for playing/metagame?
Then put them all together in 1 thread!
Or they don't, because why should they?

There's plenty of info on this board if you look for it, and a Q&A thread to help answer questions you still have or have trouble finding. Besides, you can't just learn all this stuff by reading, its from experience and developing your on style from practice and tourney play. Basically finding out what works and what doesn't for YOU.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Yeah Saint does too.

Yeah, if we can get rid of one of those stages, ICs could get considerably better. Have they been discussing that?

r3d d09

Smash Master
I went all IC's back in the day :3

Edit read some more pages:

I think lain is correct, He knows more pro tech with the character than every other ic main. He doesn't even share it with us at times :p
Everyone has done a major part in contribution to IC's success. Even some names weren't mentioned that I think should be recognized.

DeLux

I am so sick today. i feel like I :m going to die

All jokes aside, I go all ICs in bracket. I might start working in Lucas so I can practice for low tier stuff.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
I hope they are discussing changing one of those stages out as a counterpick.
As much as I LOVE HATE playing on Rainbow Cruise (I ALWAYS ban Brinstar), I'd rather be able to strike it.

I seriously believe that Ice Climbers are a character that excels when the player has the ability to read their opponents QUICKLY because people have the ability to win the counterpick easily against Ice Climbers. If we win game 1, we basically win the set. If we lose game 1, we lose the set unless we can beat them on their counterpick, which (in a Meta Knight based metagame) is nigh on impossible.

However, there isn't another character I'd rather play. Except Falco, maybe. But I like Popo and Nana too much to leave 'em for a bird.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Throw the first match and cp a stage they hate.

I changed my controller set up.
GCC everythings default, except R is grab, Z is Attack, and Y is speacil.

:phone:
...Then you get cp'd to their stage and lose the set. That's the point. If you lose game 1, you have to start fighting an uphill battle. Moreso than most other characters.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Guy's im bad.

I should have gone IC's game 2 vs this olimar today.
He CP'd me to FD and i wanted to shame him with puff, after going ZSS.

ended up losing the set.
lesson learned.

Top Bottom