• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I guess ICs are "S Tier" now :) / :( ?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I dislike melee because the camera movement makes me motion sick. I also dislike not having customizable controls and input layouts as I have a neurological impairment.

Not sure why this convo is happening in the IC social. Take it to a different thread Vkrm

dettadeus

Smash Lord
The issue with debates about what makes a game "fun" is that pretty much everyone has different opinions about what makes a game fun.

In the ROB social we've been discussing why we like/dislike certain generations of pokemon and how it decides whether or not we'll play the games. Sure, gen 2 is my favorite overall, and sure, I think some of the pokemon designs in 5th gen were dumb, but I'll still play the series pretty religiously because I play it more for the experience and less for the pokemon. I also have a lot of respect for Sugimori and GameFreak for being able to keep coming up with new pokemon after 17 years.

Just like Pokemon, I find the concept of Smash in and of itself to be fun, so I like all three games (and would probably play 64 more if I actually had it) and enjoy them fairly equally. I tend to play Brawl more because there's a less drastic skill gap between me and the higher-level brawl players in my region, whereas with the Melee players I have a lot of difficulty competing most of the time. There's also the fact that none of the people in my town like playing Melee and would rather play Brawl, so I have nobody to play with.
I have difficulty adjusting to the "traditional" fighting games (street fighter, MvC, etc) because I don't find them anywhere near as fun as Smash due to how limited movement is. Similarly, I enjoy Dissidia because you have free range of movement in all 3 dimensions.

The main thing you seem to be forgetting is that Sakurai didn't make Smash for it to be a fighting game, like people do nowadays with traditional fighting games. He wanted to make a fun game with multiplayer where you could have Mario and Pikachu and Kirby and Link duke it out on a bunch of different stages. If he had made Melee to be the super competitive game it is today, he would've left out a bunch of stages and removed the items. Same thing with Brawl. When he added tripping, he was probably thinking it would be a funny little random mechanic that'd make people laugh or get frustrated when it happens; it's no different from an item spawning closer to one person than another, aside from the fact that you can't turn it off like you can with items.

The problem with Melee/Brawl debates is that it's 4 years into Brawl's lifespan and they're still going on. You were disappointed that in your opinion Brawl didn't live up to Melee's "standards"? Then keep playing Melee. Nobody's stopping you. The only things you're doing by bashing Brawl and acting like a melee-elitist are making a bad name for yourself and wasting everyone's time. When was the last time you saw Brawl players walking into the Melee boards and bashing it for being too focused on tech skill?

DeLux

To make sure I'm not playing favorites:
Not sure why this convo is continuing

Take it to a different forum Detta :p

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Why would extra frames to buffer be a problem? Making it harder to time would just add an artifcial skill barrier wouldnt it? As we all know, physical skill just gets in the of determining whos really good. Apply the logic you used to judge melee as inferior game on this.

:phone:

| Big D |

Smash Master
Before I go to work I'm just going to say that Dedede has ridiculously hard infinites on several characters that need to be buffered, having more frames would make them a lot easier and the meta game would be completely different.

On that note I have the power of 69... 6'9" to be exact.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I dunno about all that. I think buffer is mostly unnecessary. People get pretty ****ing good games that have been out for a while. In street fighter 1 frame links are commonplace, people just crank that **** out no problem. The funny thing about 1 frame links is that the only way to make them any harder would be to make them impossible. I understand that some dedede's infinites might be a bit tricky but that ill bet that 10 buffer keeps it being like borderline impossible.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Buffering is good because I don't think having frame perfect links is necessary. All it does is make the game annoyingly hard or clumsy. Why does everything have to be so hard when it's the decisions that matter more than your button skills? Everyone should be able to press those buttons at higher levels anyways.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Honestly, I would prefer if buffer was closer to 4-5 because 10 is QUITE forgiving and it is irritating, but having buffer is still good, like in Marvel.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Certain things should buffer. Like spot dodges. The fact that you can buffer certain OoS options that put a stop to your opponents pressure is gay. I think a good rule of thumb would be if what ever defensive option you are going with has a hit box and could take you from being at disadvantage in your shield to you being the one putting the pressure, it should be completely up to you to time it right. That always seemed more fair to me.

DeLux

Nope, buffering is fine. Melee is fine. Brawl is fine. Any distinctions you're making are subjectively arbitrary.

Please stop. Any further and I'll assume you're trolling, thanks

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Are you serious? Uhhhh....is he serious? I honestly like the idea behind buffer. 10 frames is a lot and it causes problems. Regardless of what you think shieldpush>NAir>suicide with Ike is not a viable combo. The mentality behind 10 frames must of been an attempt to clear up lag in WIFI but as we know thats not quite how things panned out in the final product.

DeLux

Awesome, moving on now

After prepping it for a few months, I've decided to copy the other top ICs and no longer solo main the characters at large regionals.

I think I've pushed myself about as far as I physically can go with only ICs. It's not a coincidence that I place one outside of the cash money at all the large regionals (except the one I hosted where I got 3rd, and Whobo where I got beam sworded and tripped to time out) as far as my focal dystonia goes.

You guys will need to find a new ICs only to the death messiah I guess lol

If MK is legal, gonna mask up. Plus I have a few other options that I've been developing, like my ZSS :)

Sieguest

Smash Master
Awesome, moving on now

After prepping it for a few months, I've decided to copy the other top ICs and no longer solo main the characters at large regionals.

I think I've pushed myself about as far as I physically can go with only ICs. It's not a coincidence that I place one outside of the cash money at all the large regionals (except the one I hosted where I got 3rd, and Whobo where I got beam sworded and tripped to time out) as far as my focal dystonia goes.

You guys will need to find a new ICs only to the death messiah I guess lol

If MK is legal, gonna mask up. Plus I have a few other options that I've been developing, like my ZSS :)
Booo, use TL

DeLux

Haha, TL is too hard to play at high levels

I more or less need a character where I don't have to rely on muscle memory for extended periods of time (ie the CG) to execute things or else my hands lock up into an ugly mess. After that, I want to play a good character, get my free damage, etc.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Haha, TL is too hard to play at high levels

I more or less need a character where I don't have to rely on muscle memory for extended periods of time (ie the CG) to execute things or else my hands lock up into an ugly mess. After that, I want to play a good character, get my free damage, etc.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I think it's time you called it quits delux. Mk WILL win the battle for your soul. The only real choice you have is if it will happen now, or in a couple months.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I used to use ICs but I learned ICs from DeLux and I'm too bad to use his style despite being a walking desync directory.

And now he's trying to convince me into using them again....and succeeding. But I'd have to main them.

The struggle within...too much.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Stevo just started a brawl vs melee thread in melee discussion. You guys should take a look. The guys there are going to do a way better job of defending melee and pooping on brawl since they have a need to make sense.

Sieguest

Smash Master
In that case, it would be started by an advocate for Melee. :smirk:

Edit: I can't believe I forgot the smirk. That's the best part of the entire post.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I've been playing more ICs. I was on the fence about them, but I will learn them for sure this time. They are so good vs Olimar. How is that matchup anyway? And any tips on learning CGs? My non-CG game is getting pretty good, my descyns need more work, and when I get a grab, I'm so bad w/ CGs I don't convert them to KOs yet.

Sieguest

Smash Master
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14151291&postcount=1

Check the Olimar collapsible, something to use as a launchpad.

As for CGs, just practice them more, not just sit and grind them out mindlessly, but put a conscious effort into recognizing what you're doing as you CG, when you screw up take note of what you may have done wrong compared to your correct throws.
-Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice- You get the point.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I think it's time you called it quits delux. Mk WILL win the battle for your soul. The only real choice you have is if it will happen now, or in a couple months.

Then I will battle for everyone's souls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMhTL5bZrs

Lux to be completely honest, I feel you focused your attention too much to desyncs than to the actual desync game. Even more so focusing straight towards your own desyncs that you created.

Top Bottom