• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I guess ICs are "S Tier" now :) / :( ?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I feel like your argument for the song applying to an Ice Climber player rather than the Ice Climber's themselves is a weak one. In my opinion, you can feel free to disagree because this moves into a definition debate, a theme song should exist as attributes to the character and not the player. The distinction lies in the Ice Climbers theme song vs. the Ice Climber's players theme song.

Further weakening of the argument involves the vacillation between the attributes to the Ice Climber Player and the Ice Climbers Character. Some of the sentiments are directed towards the player, while others are than from the perspective of Popo. This is inconsistent at best.

Also, Nana doesn't technically "die" when Popo is killed. She vanishes into thin air. There's a debatable distinction in that definition of "death".

Nana pisses me off too, but not to the extent where I'm going to wish her death. You're only as good as your teammate. So I hope she doesn't do something stupid. Because let's be honest, try playing every match without Nana. When you start winning just as easily with SoPo only, then you can complain. She really is only trying to help.

My point is withdrawn about the brother and sister argument. Further research has indicated that the exact relationship of the climbers is defined by the player.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Lux - 2
Frozen - 1

Game set.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I feel like your argument for the song applying to an Ice Climber player rather than the Ice Climber's themselves is a weak one. In my opinion, you can feel free to disagree because this moves into a definition debate, a theme song should exist as attributes to the character and not the player. The distinction lies in the Ice Climbers theme song vs. the Ice Climber's players theme song.

Further weakening of the argument involves the vacillation between the attributes to the Ice Climber Player and the Ice Climbers Character. Some of the sentiments are directed towards the player, while others are than from the perspective of Popo. This is inconsistent at best.
realistically with any fighting game the way that a character is played is a unique experience. every IC main plays the character differently. the characters themselves have no background outside of a linear arcade-style game. its up to the players to actually give the climbers a personality, which is what a theme song should show. separating the players from the character leaves... well pretty much nothing. the characters don't have any unique factors outside of what the players give them.

Also, Nana doesn't technically "die" when Popo is killed. She vanishes into thin air. There's a debatable distinction in that definition of "death".
its debatable. the point being that she does not continue to exist in her current state once the main climber dies.

Nana pisses me off too, but not to the extent where I'm going to wish her death. You're only as good as your teammate. So I hope she doesn't do something stupid. Because let's be honest, try playing every match without Nana. When you start winning just as easily with SoPo only, then you can complain. She really is only trying to help.
the sad part is that half of my matches are fought as SoPo because she winds up getting killed/kills herself early on. last tourney i spent nearly 2 minutes as SoPo building damage on a campy D3 because nana couldn't figure out which direction the ledge was.

of course, all this is really moot as both vids were intended to achieve laughs. therefore, who the hell cares?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
realistically with any fighting game the way that a character is played is a unique experience. every IC main plays the character differently. the characters themselves have no background outside of a linear arcade-style game. its up to the players to actually give the climbers a personality, which is what a theme song should show. separating the players from the character leaves... well pretty much nothing. the characters don't have any unique factors outside of what the players give them.
I think the point of Super Smash Bros. series is the fact that it takes all of these characters with their unique backstories and attributes and pits them against each other. In that sense, they do exist outside the linear arcade-style game.

But rather than circumventing that argument, I'll attempt to rebut it.

You're approaching the gameplay from purely an empiricist point of view. It is possible that the empirical nature of players defining the character is just an epistemological construct that still falls under the much wider metaphysical existence of a character as its own entity. And by possible, I mean that's more likely the case, especially when combined with the backstory/unique attributes argument listed above. That's why there's a metagame advancement as opposed to tactics advancement. The metagame encompasses all possible attributes available to a player. Tactics are simply what the player knows and uses from an epistemological sense.

"Word to your mother" - Vanilla Ice [climber]

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I think the point of Super Smash Bros. series is the fact that it takes all of these characters with their unique backstories and attributes and pits them against each other. In that sense, they do exist outside the linear arcade-style game.
this is assuming we consider the smash brothers series cannon to every representative's universe, which it most certainly is not. the "explanation" of the smash universe as an argument for the climbers having a deeper background is irrelevant as the characters themselves are separate from the series and thus cannot be defined by such. as with every game, the characters are just characters in a story; its the reader (or player in this instance) that gives them substance. unfortunately, even in their original game the character was not given the ability to evolve, even through the influence of the player. they're still two demential characters that don't have any sort of discernible "personality".
in smash this same rule applies. they're character evolution is still restricted by the player. however, these changes still don't develop the character. they are still the same two demential characters that they were back in the original game. the primary difference being that the player (not the character) now has a greater opportunity to develop their idea of the climbers and what type of personality they should have.

therefore, i'm going to end this now by saying both our song can fit as the development, and subsequent personalities of the climbers is based on the player, not the character. continued argument from this point is simply an exercise in forcing opinions on other people.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Idk what to say about all of this.
One thing I do have to share though, is that my Nana doesn't kill herself very often.
More so, it's her lack of being able to DI when hit with an attack that sends her flying, or the alternate of my climbers getting separated, causing Nana to be taking the ****.

Undoubtedly, it's the inputs in certain situations that the player makes that results in Nana's demise, not her willingness to commit suicide, so to speak.
One could go about making note of what they pressed that resulted in her killing herself and just avoid doing it again to avoid a Nana SD. So, no longer does my Nana do a solo squall off the ledge, or a dair from the ledge but only because I've learned not to do those things in those situations.
Idunnotho FP. Maybe your Nana is just a ***** and hates life.

Also, welcome back Hylian lol

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I'm off to my tourney tomorrow.
I'm gonna be up against:
Stingers, One of the best ROB's in the country.
Kadaj, who mains a really amazing Marth, and seconds MK
Sushi Man, probably the most underrated MK ever. He's ridiculously good.
A bunch of other MKs, Snakes, and a Wario and D3.
O:
There are other players, but those are the ones I'm the most worried about.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I'm off to my tourney tomorrow.
I'm gonna be up against:
Stingers, One of the best ROB's in the country.
Kadaj, who mains a really amazing Marth, and seconds MK
Sushi Man, probably the most underrated MK ever. He's ridiculously good.
A bunch of other MKs, Snakes, and a Wario and D3.
O:
There are other players, but those are the ones I'm the most worried about.
I beat Stingers on Wifi with my climbers, you got this.
Kadaj, last I played, is clueless as to the matchup, you got this.
Sushi Who?
You got this.

B0NK

Smash Lord
When was the last time you've played him cheese? Before he moved he was capable of beating meep and gimr. (and obviously me, but I'm not good at that matchup =\)

Whatever you do kack, don't sleep on kadaj.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I beat Stingers on Wifi with my climbers, you got this.
Kadaj, last I played, is clueless as to the matchup, you got this.
Sushi Who?
You got this.
Haha, thanks a bunch. idk though. I'll try to get all my matches recorded so you guys can show me what I did right/wrong.

B0NK

Smash Lord
At POUND 4, I was trying to be encouraging, don't rain on his parade.
O, I see.

Yeah Kadaj sucks Kacka, he comes from SOVA and only like three players live there now, he was the fourth that left. So he was pretty much one of those kids that were "the best in his neighborhood."

And those other people? They're vaguely named after fish so they must suck.

What's funny is stingers is gonna be at an MD/VA tourney next week lol Let's get more climber players to go to 0mni's event!

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i beat his wolf the, last time he was here. his marth was a different story, but i digress. he has trouble with the character in general. however, don't underestimate him. the worst thing you can do is underestimate your opponent. that said, if you're patient and think carefully you should be able to get the grabs.... just watch out for his spacing with that sword.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've played him once at Cot4. I 3 stocked him.

*shrugs* Long time ago.

r3d d09

Smash Master
going to enter a decent sized tourney this up and coming weekend. haven't played smash since my last tourney... a month +? um... i'm sure with just a bit of practice a day, i'll actually do decent too. then supercon. but i'm going to HoN more than smash.

Sieguest

Smash Master
going to enter a decent sized tourney this up and coming weekend. haven't played smash since my last tourney... a month +? um... i'm sure with just a bit of practice a day, i'll actually do decent too. then supercon. but i'm going to HoN more than smash.
o.o RED LIVES!

good luck at that tourney. :D and what's HoN?

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Yeah Kadaj sucks Kacka, he comes from SOVA and only like three players live there now, he was the fourth that left. So he was pretty much one of those kids that were "the best in his neighborhood."

And those other people? They're vaguely named after fish so they must suck.
Screw You.

I live there. You have waged war on me.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey guys I found a new desynch.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Hey guys I found a new desynch.
I'm half and half on how to reply to this....

I want to say "Oh really what is it?" But at the same time I want to say: "Are you trolling?" Especially since you usually have a page explaining what it is when you post this. o.o.

What is it? :)

Lol rubberbandman getting the torches and pitchforks. x.x

B0NK

Smash Lord
Hey guys I found a new desync.
I'm half and half on how to reply to this....

I want to say "Oh really what is it?" But at the same time I want to say: "Are you trolling?" Especially since you usually have a page explaining what it is when you post this. o.o.

What is it? :)

Lol rubberbandman getting the torches and pitchforks. x.x

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Welp guys. :| I did kinda bad D:
I got 13th in singles.
But atleast I got 2nd in doubles. :)

In singles I lost to this MK named Foxy. I think I was off my game or something, because even he agreed that he thought I should've won. Idk, I just didn't seem to do very well. 1st match I barely lost. He gimped me alot. Second match I 2 stocked him. then the last match I went MK because he CP'd rainbow cruise and he beat me with about 50%. D:

In losers I lost to a ROB named Stockfield. This one I'm the most upset about because I really thought I should've won this match kinda easily. 1st game I SD'd twice, once at low percent, once at a fairly high percent. Then 2nd game I 2 stocked him. Then last game he took me to lylat and I was winning again, but then Nana didn't want to cooperate for half the match. Whenever I would get a grab, I would input a charged smash, and she would dash attack or something. And during the last stock, he was at like 140% and I charged a fsmash during a grab, and when popo hit him, nana didn't let go. So he just took the damage and broke free and killed my Nana, and then killed me.

Overall though, I'm alittle upset, but I did have a wonderful time. Most of the people were really cool and I had alot of laughs. 2nd in doubles was also nice. Also, I don't think ROB is all that hard anymore, ledge camping really shouldn't work with him against IC's. I actually found out it's pretty easy to beat.

I got to play alot of friendlies with Kadaj, and he really does know the matchup, lol. And if he didn't, he sure does now. He's a lot better then you guys seem to think he is. He's ridiculously smart and he is amazing at his spacing. My IC's went on and off against his Marth. A couple of times I would beat him, and other times I would get 2 stocked. He also taught me a lot about thinking and analyzing my opponent. O:

Teh Future

Smash Master
yeah i ****ed up and placed 13th also at my regional.

The first set I lost I sd'd 5 times.

like wtf I dont even know how that is possible because I wasn't really playing bad otherwise....

time to play ICs in friendlies I guess.

July should be the last month I am working though so hopefully I can devot a little more time to the game so stuff like this doesn't happen and I can place well like I know I can capable of

Top Bottom