• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I broke my last good Gamecube controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Life

Smash Hero
Not sure what section this should go in. As of this morning I realized I no longer have a correctly-working Gamecube controller.

Wavebird: Control stick takes a moment to return to neutral when pushed. (This one also has the padding worn off the top of said control stick, but that's not a problem yet)

wired 1: Upward tapping (as in, for a tap jump) will not register

wired 2: Control stick snaps to other direction for a split-second before returning to neutral--for example, this turns me around when using Sonic's spring while recovering or when I use his Spin Dash. (This controller, which I acquired from a friend, also has some electrical tape around one of the wires, but that's not a problem to me, or should I be concerned?)

My first Brawl tournament is coming up in a few weeks (the exact date of which I am unsure yet) so I want a working controller before then. What's my best option? Should I invest in a tri-wing screwdriver, and if so is it possible to fix one of the above controllers without replacing the control stick? And if I do get a tri-wing, what's the best kind to get (hand-turned vs. electrical, brand, etc.) and where should I get it? Should I just get another controller, and if so, where? (I've tried to get used to Smash with my Classic Controller, but it feels really awkward and I don't think I could get used to it before the tournament.) Is there anything else I should know? (And come to think of it, wired #2 almost sounds like it's working TOO good--so will simply using it a lot fix the problem by wearing down its ability to snap back to neutral?)

Count Typo

Smash Apprentice
Personally I'd just buy a new Gamecube controller...and in your case I'd buy five lol. As to where, well that kinda depends on where you are. A local EB Games or Gamespot may carry one. There are other gaming stores around my place that I've seen carry Nintendo brand GBC Controllers but I can't remember names. Also there's the internet/friends.

TL?

Smash Ace
You might be able to fix the wavebird or wired 2. Wired one sounds done but if the actual control stick peice isn't peeled off you can take that one and swap it out with your wavebirds. The white controllers are very good too.

TheShuckler

Smash Rookie
You might as well kill yourself now.
Without a GC controller, life is pointless.

Or ya know... buy a new one...

Life

Smash Hero
BPC: Looks decent although I think you can get them for slightly cheaper than that (although maybe it's the free shipping, IDK). And of course I have very little experience with third-party 'cube controllers... hm.

Thanks for the replies, I'm trying to acquire a tri-wing as I figure it'll become handy at some point even if I can't fix any of the controllers.

Life

Smash Hero
Well, obviously you can't get one with a turbo button (at least, if you plan on bringing it to an event) but beyond that IDK. Seems legit... there's a thread about those controllers in SSBM's section IIRC.

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
I'm also looking into getting a few new GCCs... Does this look like a good bet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ategory=139969&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=1
From what I've read over the internet reviews, those 3rd party controllers last a good month before they die out. ): It sucks since they're at least 18 bucks cheaper than buying a first party controller. They look so close to the original, but "they feel much lighter than the real ones and the buttons die out fast."

): I wouldn't gamble with paying for something that cheap, might as well buy the real deal. You only need one, and it should last you... forever-ish.

Life

Smash Hero
Update: Acquired a tri-wing screwdriver. Took apart wavebird and wired 2, leaving wired 2 apart for now but the Wavebird's operation seems to have improved drastically (not quite 100% but close) after simply scraping out all the dirt/dead skin my hands have left in there over the past decade or so. Swapped out the control sticks just for fun and now I'm just wearing W2's stick into its new home ^_^

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
take this as a sign from whatever mythical being you believe in that you should stop playing bad games

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster

Skyline4lyf3

Smash Rookie
i bought a couple of those white gamestop ones and personally, i love them. I've only used them for a little over a month so i can't vouch for durability but for 15 bucks, i'd say they were definitely worth it.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
You don't really need a tri-wing to open one, unless your going to be opening and closing it ALOT
I actually just opened up my old spice orange controller, replaced the shreaded control stick and put it back together, good as new- well already broken in, all with a flathead! Just use a small flathead and fit it between 2 of the prongs, push down and turn carefully

Benify

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eggn0g
3DS FC
5214-9751-3548
During the first few days of me playing brawl I was using the gamecube controller until (weird story and random stuff came up) . My only other option was using the wii mote + nunchuck, and I got used to it very quickly :) now its the controller I use for playing brawl and well, winning. :laugh:

Soniccuz

Smash Cadet
Just about every gamecube controller I have has developed some gimmick to it. I have one that veers the character to the left, with a broken R button. I got use to shielding with the L trigger pretty quick; and the A button on my second one sticks . The first two I owned just completely stopped working... on the exact same day. o_O

My luck with gamecube controllers, Argh!!!

Life

Smash Hero
Feel like this deserves an update.

As of today, my Wavebird controller is acting up again--side taps don't register. Considering this began to happen when I blew the dust off my old Melee copy (a game at which I am worse at than Brawl, obviously) and screwed me over on Giga Bowser (<_<) I'm thinking it's time to tear it apart again and see what's up this time.

Luigirocks96

Smash Rookie
I'd buy a gamecube controller, a used OFFICIAL Nintendo-made controller. It would work better than a classic controller and it would feel more familiar.

UberMario

Smash Master
Just about every gamecube controller I have has developed some gimmick to it. I have one that veers the character to the left, with a broken R button. I got use to shielding with the L trigger pretty quick; and the A button on my second one sticks . The first two I owned just completely stopped working... on the exact same day. o_O

My luck with gamecube controllers, Argh!!!
I feel for ya, my only official controller has issues with the main stick, it will "retain" whatever direction I last pressed, screwing me over so bad I can only use it sparingly, I have three 3rd party controllers, but the sticks are so tiny I can't properly do tilts, most of Pikachu's QA techs, or shuffle smashes . . . . .

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I have a couple cheap knock offs and they work fine except for when you switch to brawl. You have to replug when switching to brawl. The GS one is ok works perfect for me though but the official white one is like Beauty and Perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom